Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Guild Wars 2 Status by ANet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 Status by ANet  (Read 84570 times)
Genev
Terracotta Army

on: August 29, 2012, 05:28:18 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z1poz/guild_wars_2_status_wednesday_august_29/

I really hope they fix the guild and grouping issues soon, the added security measures sound good too!

Edit: Thanks Seg, lack of proper mouse atm makes it hard to copy-paste large texts :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:30:36 PM by Genev »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:29:20 PM

Full text spoiler:

sadly still doesn't address fully Euro and US servers communicating for grouping and mail (such as the mail system just doesn't find characters on Euro servers, different then people being unable to group on the same region servers)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 06:28:05 PM

Having the market available to a random percentage of your player base is not very fair or balanced, but I guess it helps with testing.

WoW's launch issues were backend systems / database related as well. I assume they think they've planned for it but it doesn't get properly tested in beta and the real load shows up all sorts of things they missed. Shame it marred their launch.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:55:09 PM

Having the market available to a random percentage of your player base is not very fair or balanced, but I guess it helps with testing.

WoW's launch issues were backend systems / database related as well. I assume they think they've planned for it but it doesn't get properly tested in beta and the real load shows up all sorts of things they missed. Shame it marred their launch.

It was a rotating 15%, so everyone got a chance if they kept checking eventually you would get in. I got two nice dyes really cheap.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:57:52 PM

Their server maintenance is a little less than graceful.

"Servers are going down in 3 hours."   
"Shit did we say 3, make it 1" 
"No seriously, all down in 1 hour"

"Servers are going down in 50 minutes. " 
"What we neglected to tell you is that chat will be broken for half of that time!"

No counter like some other games do.  Just the initial announcement and then *POOF* gone.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:58:37 PM

This is the roughest launch I've been in in quite some time.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 12:06:30 AM

No counter like some other games do.  Just the initial announcement and then *POOF* gone.
There were plenty of counters yesterday.

Is this why the login server seems to be down ? Just had the sPvP game of my life  why so serious?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:18:03 AM

This is the roughest launch I've been in in quite some time.
TSW's issues like the proper-fucked chat system annoyed me more, personally (even though I liked the game in general). There were also a few things at swtor launch that made me rage (like the responsiveness issues and buggy UI), but those weren't really launch issues in the 'our systems aren't working' sense. And of course nothing compares to sb.exe, the complete clusterfuck that WOW was at launch, EVE deleting hard drives, etc etc.

Anyway, my biggest annoyance is the complete borkenness of the trading post -- my bank's already overflowing with dyes and other shit that I really want to sell for big moolah. No AH also means I had to farm out lowbie areas (ended up completing the asura, sylvari and human 1-15 zones) to get enough of those low-level drops and jute for tailoring. I didn't really encounter any issues that impacted my gameplay otherwise... and I'm already in the level 35-40 zones!

edit: I just remembered WAR launch and how they first opened a whole lot of extra servers during the initial rush by cloning the high-pop servers, then half of the servers became ghost towns overnight, so we had to relocate our guild TWICE in the first week (Phoenix Throne -> Tor Elyr -> Ostermark). Grrrr.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:43:53 AM by Zetor »

Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:57:49 AM

Some updates to the status message... And there I was getting hopeful I might soon buy some outrageously overpriced Jute soonish.  why so serious?

• Trading Post - We're working to bring the Trading Post back online. To help test, we've temporarily made it available to a random 15% of players, while we work to resolve remaining capacity constraints that will allow us to open it to everyone.
    Edit: We have completed our live testing of the Trading Post for today and the Trading Post is now in maintenance for all players. Thank you everyone that participated; this test has helped us tremendously.
  • In-game mail - We detected a potential abuse of the in-game mail system and have temporarily disabled in-game mail to prevent any such abuse. We'll reenable it soon, hopefully in tonight's update.
    Edit: The fact that in-game mail is disabled means that it's currently impossible for account hackers to loot stolen accounts, so we're going to leave it disabled for just a little while longer, while we work to ramp up email authentication.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 04:40:24 AM

The annoying thing is that the only way to trade between friends is through the mail system. So I can be standing next to my friend, find a item that would be an upgrade, and there's no way to pass it to him.

- Simond
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:08:52 AM

what about the mail from npc's and things that advance quests?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 06:13:29 AM

what about the mail from npc's and things that advance quests?

I was getting NPC mail just fine last night.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:04:57 AM

Yeah.  It's only players being able to send mail that was broken.

Get a guild bank and trade through that.  Our four person guild already has ours.  (Though we did have the bonus influence to start us off, but we've still made plenty given that it takes time to reach rank 2.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 07:22:51 AM

The last 2 patches have made the game unplayable do to sever graphic issues. On Tuesday the game ran flawlessly. On Wednesday, annoying but still playable graphical smering and crashs were introduced.  This morning I crash if I spin the camera. Didn't have time to update drivers and look up support, but this sort of backsliding is bad omen.

"Me am play gods"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 07:32:56 AM

The funny thing is, I haven't had a single problem other than the annoyance of overflow popups, which barely registers.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 08:01:36 AM

The funny thing is, I haven't had a single problem other than the annoyance of overflow popups, which barely registers.

^ this.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 08:09:26 AM

Yeah the popup needs to go.  It also seems like my queue only pops in the middle of an event so I have to requeue.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:10 AM

Yeah you are probably in bed by the time they start fucking around with the servers. Which is way too early in the evening.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 11:05:44 AM

Yeah you are probably in bed by the time they start fucking around with the servers. Which is way too early in the evening.

^ me on this as well... god damn it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:48 AM

Same here so far thankfully.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 02:42:50 PM

Other than the login problems on the first day i have not had any issues either.

I am the .00000001428%
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 04:06:22 PM

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 04:18:10 PM

This is one reason why you don't force people to use emails as usernames.   Always amazing how everyone continues to fail at this security 101.

Freaking awesome that they perma banned the people who went crazy with that exploit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:24:17 PM by Amaron »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 04:29:12 PM

Ok, the playerbase is greater than TSW, Rift when it launched and probably on par with TOR at launch, but The Old Republic didn't have this amount of attempted hackin' and exploitin' , right? This seems almost....focused and organized in advance, if such thing can actually happen.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 04:38:04 PM

I think you'd find ArenaNet is just more open about what they're fighting against. Larger public companies tend to be more tight-lipped about this kind of thing, for risk of negative PR (or paranoia about attracting even more attention).
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 05:05:45 PM

That sounds about right. For a lot of the people doing the hacking it's a business and they're going to hit any viable target.

It sounds a lot like all their problems and symptoms relate to their character database. It can't keep up and gets confused about where you are, who you are and whether you are in a guild. I'd guess (and who really knows) that since a GW2 character can effectively be interacting with multiple servers simultaneously the load on that sub-system is pretty interesting. Also explains why no forums since they display character info too.

Of course the most interesting question is how they missed the issue or it passed their tests and failed on launch which we'll probably never know.

- Simond
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 05:11:05 PM

Sometimes the worst thing you can have is a successful test. 
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 05:22:10 PM

Of course the most interesting question is how they missed the issue or it passed their tests and failed on launch which we'll probably never know.

Maybe monitoring systems? Hackers in the beta are not going to volunteer their exploits, and the average beta player there for fun or free-game aren't going to bother with the concerted effort of learning exploits. So unless a monitoring system knows to look for the kind of behavior exploiters will exhibit, ANet is entirely reliant on the good graces of people voluntarily reporting to them.

But glad you mentioned the forums too. They're better off not opening now. I'd argue (as I always argue) they should never bother to either. No good comes from Oboards, and unless they plan to serve ads on them, no business value either.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 06:11:27 PM

From facebook Anet suspends digital sales of GW2 through their own store.

Ensuring the best possible play experience for our fans is our highest priority. We’ve said before that we would be willing to temporarily disable first-party digital sales if we felt our high player concurrency may compromise player experiences. We have now reached that point.

Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. We’ll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely. ~RB2
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 06:14:55 PM

Have their direct digital sales really been so popular that they outpace retail and other channel sales? They'd be something of a first if so.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:47 PM

This is one reason why you don't force people to use emails as usernames.   Always amazing how everyone continues to fail at this security 101.

Fuck email usernames.

Time to make a new email forwarder on my domain just for this game (meant to this weekend anyway) as the gmail account I used is the one I used for a couple other betas and was too lazy to change it the other day.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 07:11:15 PM

I can't believe they've actually stopped selling the game, wow.

I am the .00000001428%
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

I had to pop over to the store and buy one of those boxes that contains a disk shaped device. Took a while to remember how to put it in my computer.  why so serious?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 12:25:18 AM

Anyone who bought the physical copy in Australia payed a high premium for doing so (40 USD).

This has got to be costing them money. Bad press, lost direct sales and also the cash shop being down when people are at their most excited.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:28:35 AM by Kageru »

- Simond
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 02:02:47 AM

World of Warcraft did exactly the same thing - they restricted supply of the game during the first 3 months because of all the issues they were having with their unprecedented demand. That in turn fed the demand further - there's nothing like a toy you can't have to drive people to extremes to get it. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Guild Wars 2 Status by ANet  
Jump to: