Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Quick things you wish you had known sooner (AUTOLOOT! Send ALL mats to bank!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick things you wish you had known sooner (AUTOLOOT! Send ALL mats to bank!)  (Read 107516 times)
bhodi

No lie.

on: August 28, 2012, 08:27:41 AM

Autoloot, first checkbox in the options menu. I was level 15 before I even saw it.

Click the gear in the inventory to send all materials to the bank.

Salvage all trophies for leather/cloth, don't sell them. It's the only major way of getting the crafting materials.

Always run around with gathering tools, you can always sell them on the AH if you don't need them.

Sharkmaw Caverns entrance in The Spar is behind the windmill. Look for a hidden path near some bales. (No idea how to get to the two vistas above the trader's forum yet)

If are a tailor you want to make your own bags, and have money, you can add a rune of holding (vendor bought) to make the bag bigger than the default 8 size. Base rune is 4 silver and req's 75 tailoring.

Buy higher level salvage kits as soon as you can afford them, especially if you're a crafter.

Rasix edit: Sorry, the "Quck" thing was bothering me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:56:44 PM by Rasix »
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:41:57 AM

'Send all collectibles to bank' also sends minipets to the bank, which may be a problem if you have deluxe or HOM minipets you want to keep on your character. Another annoyance is when you keep alternate weapons / consumables in a special bag in your inventory, and the "compact inventory" button keeps mixing that gear up with the random vendor junk you've collected.

The solution - ghost bags! Stuff you put in a ghost bag doesn't get auto-sold to vendors, auto-sent to the bank when you press the send-all button, and doesn't get rearranged when you hit 'compact'. Tailors can discover them by combining jute and glittering dust on the craft screen - not sure about the other armorcrafting professions, but they have equivalents (like the 'safe box'). They have the same capacity as a bag of the same tier (for jute, that's 8 slots).

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:46 AM

Sharkmaw Caverns entrance in The Spar is behind the windmill. Look for a hidden path near some bales. (No idea how to get to the two vistas above the trader's forum yet)
Neither is difficult, the paths just aren't immediately obvious.

Beware of pirates.  Yarr!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:05 AM

Eat Food
mine/chop/gather everything
If a npc is shouting that they need help, talk to them.  They will usually send you to a DE.
Listen to npcs after an event to see if there is another in a chain.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:49:40 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:08:24 AM

Eat Food
mine/chop/gather everything
If a npc is shouting that they need help, talk to them.  They will usually send you to a DE.
Listen to npcs after an event to see if there is another in a chain.

Bolded is very important later in life. Right now the DEs will probably be done by the time you get to them, but in a lower population zone it will let you know which DEs are up at any point.

Always, ALWAYS make sure your spec has condition removal in it somewhere, or a stun break. Dungeons will murder you if you do not bring them.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:19:34 AM

Upgrade your gathering tools as you advance into the high tiered zones. Your copper tools will still work, but will only give you ruined goods. So the second zone, you should be using Iron tools to get your stuff, and so on.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:22:23 AM

Undiscovered Points of Interest tend to blend into the background, especially if they are in buildings or on a hill.  If you are having trouble finding a POI on an otherwise complete map you can make it more obvious by pulling up the map hitting the eye icon on the lower left and then clicking the show map completion check box on and off repeatedly, this tends to highlight those unfilled POIs.  

When you get put in an overflow server all the resource nodes will be available for harvest, this comes in handy if you have already mined the one Rich ore that spawns in the zone or havested the cooking resource farm.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:23:05 AM

Most of the exp needed to level crafting skills comes from the Discovery panel, not recipes you are granted access to normally.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:56 AM

So apparently higher level gathering tools aren't a waste on low leveler level gathering nodes.  Apparently if it's above the level of the node (e.g. using steel or iron on a copper node) you get more yield and higher % of rares.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 09:46:57 AM

So apparently higher level gathering tools aren't a waste on low leveler level gathering nodes.  Apparently if it's above the level of the node (e.g. using steel or iron on a copper node) you get more yield and higher % of rares.

If this is true, it's very nice to know.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:31:47 AM

Max stack in the crafting materials bank thing is 250. After that you cannot send anything off to la la land with the gear (had this happen with Copper last night).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:33:52 AM

I can give that extra copper a good home  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:38 AM

How much better are the actual higher level salvage kits?
Drubear
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 10:38:02 AM

Max stack in the crafting materials bank thing is 250. After that you cannot send anything off to la la land with the gear (had this happen with Copper last night).

I think that's a design/implementation limit. The "crafting materials bank" seems to have hardcoded slots for the materials: so you don't put 25 Copper ore in CraftMatBank_Slot#2 (like you do in your backpack), you put 25 in CraftMatBank_CopperOre. The mats have ghost images in the slots in the bank.

What I think this means is pretty slick: if you put an item in the bank like that, you are in reality destroying the object from the item database and reducing it to a number on/in your bank, taking up way less space in the item database. They are banking (sic) on people mostly keeping their craft mats in the bank to keep the item database under control. (Or at least that part of it.)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 11:34:10 AM

How much better are the actual higher level salvage kits?

I keep reading back and forth.  Some people think it's better, some think they are a waste of money. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:37 AM

I've yet to keep a rune with the 20% chance kit, and I've salvaged enough items for it to be vanishingly unlikely that this should have happened (like well over 100). So, I think they may not be working as advertised.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 11:41:31 AM

The middle kits are useless. Either you really want the rune or you just want the mats imo.

You shouldn't really be caring about runes until 65+ though, since it's not worth the money for the nice kits until you actually want to keep the rune for a while.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 12:33:24 PM

The rare mats are really valuable for raising skill though.  I think the rare mat salvage is broken though.  I don't think I've ever seen it happen in 300 salvages or whatever in fact.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 12:39:55 PM

Yeah same here. Guessing a bug. Maybe the next client patch that kicks me out of RVR 5 minutes after I make it through the queue will fix it.  why so serious?

sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 01:01:46 PM

I've pulled out 2-3 pebbles with the blue kits.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 01:43:03 PM

The blue kits are the expensive ones. I think we're talking about Basic kits, which have a listed 20% recovery rate. And does not recover at 20% at all.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 01:43:29 PM

Yeah.

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 01:47:30 PM

Above every skill is a little arrow that opens up into a mini skill panel when clicked, allows you to switch around skills on the fly between combat.
On my engineer especially I've been noticing how situational some skills can be (always nice to have your flamethrower out, which btw is awesome, and run into a flame elemental  Ohhhhh, I see.) and since I only have 3 atm, switching can make all the difference.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 01:49:49 PM

I actually carry a third set of weapons in my pack in case of boss failures. It's worth swapping out from the skills and weapons you normally roll with if you run into a wall.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 03:10:53 PM

I keep a full set of all the weapons I can use in one of my bags just because I like to try different things while I'm out in the world and it does come in handy to have a choice when you hit the aforementioned wall.  My default as a warrior is an axe and mace with sword and warhorn (for the run buff) in the second slot.  so far (level 23ish) it seems to work fairly well in PVE.  For WvW I keep my bow and active and use the sword horn combofor running around.  I have 3 8 slot bags a 5 I got from some encounter and the backpack and so far haven't had any space problems.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 03:24:20 PM

/wiki "topic"

Takes you to the wiki page.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 03:47:53 PM

The red bars underneath your skills denote that your target is too far away for that skill.  I only just found this out.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 04:09:11 PM

Artificiers can make stuff out of some food. Carrots and Lettuce especially, so make sure you mouse over odd ingredients.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 06:05:38 PM

Some gems are also used by them.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 09:36:28 PM

Pressing backslash lets you set up your own chat tabs.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 11:42:58 PM

I wish I knew how many names were taken, jesus christ 30min straight and I can't find a free one.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 11:44:44 PM

You can have spaces and surnames which helps a bit, but since names are game global... yeah, going to be a fair bit of competition.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Gorky
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 01:57:31 AM

Here's a possible solution to those facing frequent login problems due to error 42.*:

make a shortcut for the gw2.exe and add the /clientport 80 switch to it, so if you open the shortcut properties, it should say

"gw2.exe" /clientport 80 (the switch needs to be outside the " ")

Fixed my problem permanently, can login on the first try everytime.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 05:48:00 AM

I've pulled out 2-3 pebbles with the blue kits.

Gem stones and runes are upgrades.  Rares are stuff like tiny fang, vial of blood etc.  I've gotten upgrades with the 20% kits but with 100's of salvages using them I've never seen a rare.  I routinely break down all the blue/green items I find too.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 07:11:09 AM

You can have spaces and surnames which helps a bit, but since names are game global... yeah, going to be a fair bit of competition.
I love the ability to put spaces in, I'm only using two of my traditional names, was able to use 3 new ones because of differing surnames!

Though there probably aren't a ton of Zebulons.

To contribute a basic one - wish I had known the bank was a shared bank across the account!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Quick things you wish you had known sooner (AUTOLOOT! Send ALL mats to bank!)  
Jump to: