Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crafting  (Read 89776 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

on: August 26, 2012, 08:46:41 AM

I've been dorking around with this here's a basic primer on skilling up:

1) Your raw mats should be refined into some basic mats.  Do this untill it turns grey (same as WoW).
2) Now your basic mats can be changed into what I'll call basic pieces.   Usually two basic pieces per item.   These basic pieces are used across a range of levels.
3) Finally your basic mats + RARE mats can be used to make a stat piece.   This piece determines the level of the item and the stats on the item.
4) After making basic mats make a bunch of basic pieces.  Try to spread them out and leave some basic mats for the stat pieces.
5) Now make one of each stat piece.
6) Go into the discovery panel and pick a basic item type (staff/sword/whatever) combine each stat piece with the basic pieces.   This will give you huge skill ups (like 2~4 per discovery).
7) Repeat for each item type till you hit the next multiple of 25 skill.
8) Now you're making a new stat piece which will give you items 5 levels higher.

You can do this somewhat non optimally and make yourself gear you can actually use if you want.  It's not a huge loss to do it that way.

The important thing to take away is that rare mats = big skill ups through discovery.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:53:41 AM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:38:53 AM

Tailoring is a pita. Way too hard to get the basic mat, jute. I've got more blue comps than I do regular. I break down stuff, but the light armor and ragged cloth that break down to jute are not plentiful drops. I'm reduced to farming mobs. It's slow and it sucks and it's a good thing they're not asking for a sub.

Jewelry is more reasonable. Plenty of ore nodes. Pearls are stupid rare though. I like how you get amber from trees, a little gathering crossover. Not as many combinations to discover as tailoring, but I have the mats to make stuff at least.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:50 AM

I would assume pearls drop more from the water mobs?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:09:48 AM

I got pearls by harvesting clams which makes no goddamn sense. About a dozen clam nodes in southern Bristlebane.

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:11:38 AM

I got pearls by harvesting clams which makes no goddamn sense. About a dozen clam nodes in southern Bristlebane.

Perfectly sensible!

http://www.thepearlcollector.com/clampearl.html

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:13:21 AM

Harvesting amber from living trees doesn't make any sense, but I like it as flavor and, yeah it helps diversify things a bit.  I dunno, maybe they're magic trees.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 11:13:50 AM

And knowing is half the battle!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:17:48 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 12:49:41 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 01:26:11 PM

So much puissance.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 03:13:12 PM

So he basically got fed mats and chain fired out crafting levels.  Now arena.net will fuck it up for the rest of us just because one guy got an entire guild to power level him.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 03:19:21 PM

So he basically got fed mats and chain fired out crafting levels.  Now arena.net will fuck it up for the rest of us just because one guy got an entire guild to power level him.

They're only going to mess with it if he managed to do it without hitting the crafting level caps on the way. It's intended to be able to level to 80 via only crafting.

What I'm missing from this story is how he got the higher level mats, since that would require 50+ characters feeding him.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 03:43:29 PM

What I'm missing from this story is how he got the higher level mats, since that would require 50+ characters feeding him.

Since Arenanet said there were some "unusual methods" and not through normal leveling, he might have been exploiting something (or found a loophole, depending on your definition of an exploit).

*edit* And from reading around the net, it seems like it wasn't completely by crafting (only the last levels).  There are some exploits around, like a boss that spawns every 2 minutes that everyone just afks at and gives 1k xp each time it's downed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:47:10 PM by KallDrexx »
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 03:47:04 PM

If you had a guild funneling you resources and money was not an issue, could you buy high level vendor gear and salvage it for mats?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 04:00:07 PM

If you had a guild funneling you resources and money was not an issue, could you buy high level vendor gear and salvage it for mats?

With how the cash curve works, it would be difficult at best. If he had 20 people sitting at an event mailing him all the drops to vendor it might work?
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 05:53:44 PM

Tailoring is a pita. Way too hard to get the basic mat, jute.
In the Assura starter zone, there is a waypoint called "Rana Landing Complex", general area is called  Voloxian Passage. If zoomed in at max level, right under the word "Passage", there is a hollow tree that spawns 3 lvl 7 mobs every few seconds, if you set up shop there with a few salvage kits and a good ammount of AOE or lots of DPS you can farm stuff pretty easily.

I filled up all my 8 Slot bags in about 10-15 minutes and had enough stuff to level Leatherworking and Huntsman to lvl 25 in one go. Salvage drops split pretty evenly between Ore/Wood and cloth.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 07:52:17 PM

In the Assura starter zone, there is a waypoint called "Rana Landing Complex", general area is called  Voloxian Passage. If zoomed in at max level, right under the word "Passage", there is a hollow tree that spawns 3 lvl 7 mobs every few seconds, if you set up shop there with a few salvage kits and a good ammount of AOE or lots of DPS you can farm stuff pretty easily.

I filled up all my 8 Slot bags in about 10-15 minutes and had enough stuff to level Leatherworking and Huntsman to lvl 25 in one go. Salvage drops split pretty evenly between Ore/Wood and cloth.

What level were you when you started?  I tried it for like 20 just now and only got 12 jute out of it.  I think I may have been getting higher level drops though due to my real level.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 08:37:48 PM

In the Assura starter zone, there is a waypoint called "Rana Landing Complex", general area is called  Voloxian Passage. If zoomed in at max level, right under the word "Passage", there is a hollow tree that spawns 3 lvl 7 mobs every few seconds, if you set up shop there with a few salvage kits and a good ammount of AOE or lots of DPS you can farm stuff pretty easily.

What level were you when you started?  I tried it for like 20 just now and only got 12 jute out of it.  I think I may have been getting higher level drops though due to my real level.
9ish, I think.

This reminds me, somebody mentioned to salvage bags for cloth, I don't seem to be able to do that, does one need a special salvage kit ?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:40:34 PM by Der Helm »

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 09:35:09 PM

I think they meant the drops from Mobs called "miners bag, stolen goods, etc" they seem to drop from the humanoid races and when you open them they give a couple crafting materials.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 12:18:27 AM

That makes sense. Duh.  swamp poop/ awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 12:37:23 AM

With how the cash curve works, it would be difficult at best. If he had 20 people sitting at an event mailing him all the drops to vendor it might work?

It's pretty simple I suspect. Buy high level gathering sickles etc., go to WvW, harvest nodes in WvW since you're level 80.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 12:45:20 AM

It's pretty simple I suspect. Buy high level gathering sickles etc., go to WvW, harvest nodes in WvW since you're level 80.
I just assumed that you could not equip them because item availability is based on your real level not your "zone" level.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 12:46:56 AM

Well, I have a 'black lion harvesting sickle' that has no level requirement that I got randomly. Maybe they bought a bunch of those.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 02:07:55 AM

I tested it and you CAN'T equip harvesting equipment over your level in WvW, somebody send me 4 silver stat.  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 02:09:22 AM

Guessing it has to be the RMT harvesting things? Pricey.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 06:33:33 AM

Guessing it has to be the RMT harvesting things? Pricey.

Yeah, probably.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:47 AM

Cooking is an inventory nightmare. I really wish you didn't have to pull mats of your bank to use them.

"Me am play gods"
WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 09:35:12 AM

Yeah, if you could craft right out of the bank the whole system would be just about perfect.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:03 AM

The discovery system is really, really fun if you pick up cooking.  Expect to spend about 10-30s and 300-400 karma to buy start up materials if you want to play "guess the recipe." 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 10:25:03 AM

Yeah, if you could craft right out of the bank the whole system would be just about perfect.
They want to do that.  There wasn't time to get it in for launch.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 11:34:32 AM

Cooking is an inventory nightmare. I really wish you didn't have to pull mats of your bank to use them.

Cooking is fun until you get lots of foods that are also ingredients and do not go into collections and end up filling your bank space in no time at all  Ohhhhh, I see.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 08:56:11 PM

Went to Hlem's spot to see if I could farm some jute to make a guildie a couple bags tonight (at level 20) and I was getting a fuckton of blue crafting items and got 4 green items (3 weapons, 1 pair of gloves) along with a couple blues that were upgrades  swamp poop

All in about 25 minutes or so.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:26 AM

The market was working last night and I was finally in the position the designers had probably imagined. Had more than enough base mats for an ok price and deciding how to much spend on the blue components.

Having both shared bank space and shared collectible space between alts is a low blow. They could still move gems and sell bank space without restricting you worse than other f2p games.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 10:35:36 AM

The market was working last night and I was finally in the position the designers had probably imagined. Had more than enough base mats for an ok price and deciding how to much spend on the blue components.

Having both shared bank space and shared collectible space between alts is a low blow. They could still move gems and sell bank space without restricting you worse than other f2p games.

Wait, why is shared collectible space an issue? I like the fact I can gather everything and have access to it on different crafter characters. Wholeheartedly agree with the shared bank space - 30 bank slots for 5 characters is laughable.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 10:40:03 AM

Collectible is an issue since it limits the number of items of that given material can have to 250 which isn't all that much when split between characters. Anything over that limit goes into the already limited (and expensive) bank space in addition to anything else you may want there.

It's great that there is shared collectible, but they need to increase that limited quantity to 999 or something, not 250
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting  
Jump to: