Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:49:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Simple Questions Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 194451 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

on: August 25, 2012, 10:16:54 AM

We always need one of these, and since I didn't really play beta much I've got a couple.

Is there a general chat channel? What are Trophy items?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:29:49 AM

Trophy items are vendor trash.  If you go to any merchant, and go to the second to last tab, the selling one, there's a sell all junk button that'll auto vend most of those.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:44:11 AM

How the shit do you trade with someone?

God Save the Horn Players
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:45:42 AM

The only way I know of is by mail.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 10:51:11 AM

This. Mail is (or should be?) instant, and is the only trade option.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:04:39 AM

Trophy items are vendor trash.  If you go to any merchant, and go to the second to last tab, the selling one, there's a sell all junk button that'll auto vend most of those.
Thanks. Is there really no kind of chat though?

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:05:18 AM

Thanks. Is there really no kind of chat though?

There is /map, but no world wide general chat.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 11:31:45 AM

Ahh, /map is like, local general chat?

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 12:03:45 PM

Ahh, /map is like, local general chat?

Yeah, chat with everyone in the same zone as you.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 12:14:51 PM

Gate of madness is full. (Having not selected a home realm.) Do I not play til it opens up, or is that free transfer thing in effect?

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 12:16:11 PM

I'm also completely new to the game, so here goes:

1) I've done lots of events and all those quest type thingies in order, in most of them I stay to kill plenty of extra mobs, but I'm falling behind on levels already (7 now). Am  I supposed to go grind random mobs now, go do past events repeatedly, stop soloing, or am I just missing something?

2) Where/when/how will I first get to try WvW?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 12:19:21 PM

2) Where/when/how will I first get to try WvW?

From the moment you start your toon, press B and click "Go to WvWvW".  Enjoy.  :)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 12:29:14 PM

1) I've done lots of events and all those quest type thingies in order, in most of them I stay to kill plenty of extra mobs, but I'm falling behind on levels already (7 now). Am  I supposed to go grind random mobs now, go do past events repeatedly, stop soloing, or am I just missing something?

This was a common complaint in beta.  The dev response was, I shit you not, to mine resource nodes for exp so you don't fall behind.

Over and out.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 12:43:51 PM

The real response is to do your story quest and other newbie zones.

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 12:55:31 PM

The real response is to do your story quest and other newbie zones.

The other zones thing. That's how I level.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 01:06:15 PM

Gate of madness is full. (Having not selected a home realm.) Do I not play til it opens up, or is that free transfer thing in effect?

Free transfer is on as far as I could tell, I picked GoM to fuck around in the character creation screen and then transfered when Jade Quarry had space.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 01:29:11 PM

I require more cloth.  Anyone figure out how to get tons of it without relying on random drops?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 01:36:03 PM

How do you get to other newbie zones?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 01:41:15 PM

This. Mail is (or should be?) instant, and is the only trade option.

That is goofy! But OK.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 02:01:27 PM

There should be a portal to Lion's Gate, or whatever it's called, in your home town.  From there, you can take a portal to any of the home cities.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 03:15:03 PM

Hit H

Go to the Mists.

Take the portal to Lion's Arch.

Portal to other zone.

After that, you can fast travel from respawn node to respawn node.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 03:44:59 PM

I require more cloth.  Anyone figure out how to get tons of it without relying on random drops?

Salvage light armors if you haven't been.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 04:01:24 PM

Salvage light armors if you haven't been.

Kill More Centaur.

The little bags humanoids drop are your best bet for tons of cloth/leather imo.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 04:45:54 PM

You can be in multiple guilds, correct?

How do you make sure one is your "home" guild?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 04:59:26 PM

The one you chose to represent is your main guild.

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 05:20:49 PM

The one you chose to represent is your main guild.

It's the one you give points to at that moment, and gain bonuses from. You can flip representation at any time though.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 09:44:59 PM

Is there a way to use BOTH guild chats?  It seems you can't even see the second guild chat at the moment.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

I believe you can only use the features of the guild you have activated so only one guild chat at a time.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 10:45:07 PM

If you're having trouble with keeping a regular leveling pace:

a) you should be gathering. (every single node is approximately 3 non-bonus monster kills: if you're passing all them up, you're missing out huge)

b) you should always have food in your belly. (There are vendors in each starting village that sell 16c - 32c food. Any food, any food at all gives you a buff which is worth +10XP for any kill, which is essentially +100% kill xp at low levels)

c) you should be prioritizing DEs first. DEs are often really efficient for your time, often have hordes of monsters (see b) and a few of them lead into a chain of DEs, one right after the other. The hearts will always be there.

d) don't be in Queensdale. It's pretty suckily done from a level flow perspective.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 10:49:56 PM

Had no idea at all about food.  Will have to check that out.

I am a gathering fiend, and enjoying crafting too.  Love that I get XP for exploring, gathering, and crafting, as well as goodies from gathering that are immediately useful (like the gems from copper nodes).
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 01:10:09 AM

There should be a portal to Lion's Gate, or whatever it's called, in your home town.  From there, you can take a portal to any of the home cities.

Alternately for less running around, port to the mists and then take the mist portal back to Lion's Gate.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:04 AM

Simple question: are they updating the game every few hours?  Everytime I launch the client, I have a pre-download (undetermined size) and then a post-download of approx 40 MB.

Since there is nothing on the launch client to indicate what is being patched, I have no idea whether I'm downloading content/updates or my installation is somehow borked and I'm constantly re-downloading the same stuff (beta client cut/paste from old computer to new computer).

Not a huge deal, but since my connection is not great it amounts to a 5-min login lag each and every time.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 06:47:39 AM

Not a question, but definitely a newbie-like-me surprise. So, when I heard that your skills were based on your weapons, I figured for Elementalist, my "weapon" was Fire, Water, Earth and Air. When I started unlocking the skills, I figured "eh, cool, but just a skill grind, so what's all this positive buzz about weapons and skills then?". Just found out from the GW2 wiki about how an Elementalist with a staff has different skills within those lines than a main hander only, a dual wielder (which I am right now) and an off-hand only. That is damned cool.

c) you should be prioritizing DEs first. DEs are often really efficient for your time, often have hordes of monsters (see b) and a few of them lead into a chain of DEs, one right after the other. The hearts will always be there.
"DE" is "Dynamic Event"?

Found out about the food thing the hard way. Was looking at a vendor's list, saw the food had XP+ and bought what I could afford with my starting cash. That was before I realized I needed to buy the tools that would allow me to gather. Doh!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 07:36:28 AM

Simple question: are they updating the game every few hours?  Everytime I launch the client, I have a pre-download (undetermined size) and then a post-download of approx 40 MB.

Since there is nothing on the launch client to indicate what is being patched, I have no idea whether I'm downloading content/updates or my installation is somehow borked and I'm constantly re-downloading the same stuff (beta client cut/paste from old computer to new computer).

Not a huge deal, but since my connection is not great it amounts to a 5-min login lag each and every time.

Arena Net is notorious for daily updates to the client.  Guild Wars 1 was that way, too.  It's worse in the beginning as they're getting things stabilized.  However, they seem to like to push smaller, frequent patches instead of compiling everything for three months.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 02:26:03 AM

Did everybody grab his/her free hat at the store ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Simple Questions Thread  
Jump to: