Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: City of Steam - New steampunk arpg f2p 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: City of Steam - New steampunk arpg f2p  (Read 17078 times)
Phred
Terracotta Army

on: August 04, 2012, 01:24:58 PM

I can't believe this hasnt been mentioned yet but there's a new browser based f2p game coming out that looks really really good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_704724&feature=iv&src_vid=x9ujgrMA720&v=9S_NTxfFVdU for the start of a three part tour of the game atm. It's in alpha with a supported package that gets you guaranteed alpha access for 10$ and the game plays in full screen using the unity 3d engine. http://unity3d.com/. Other than good graphics we'll have to wait for an open access weekend to see how it plays. I hope they don't make the common mistake of not having animations be interrupt able.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:34:29 PM

While I love the theme, and I love indie products, this looks like garbage. I can't keep my eyes open through the first 3 minutes of the video (poor video and poor audio, not the game's fault), but I don't mean to write it off as utter rubbish. Since you seem pretty enthusiastic about it, would you mind putting down some of the key features or whatever made you think it's worth its own thread? I am in no way being snarky.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:39:59 PM

I'm sorry if you can't be assed to watch the videos why should I bother summarizing the points. You inquire if it deserves it's own thread is there some catch all thread you'd rather see it in? Maybe I could get a mod to move it to browser based games where it might get a better reception and more interest.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:43:16 PM

Whoa.. sand meet vagina.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:46:57 PM

Ugh.

I don't think starting a thread about an unknown game with only the link to a 30 minutes video is the proper way to generate interest about a game. I am curious, and still I can't see why I should dedicate 30, or 5, or 1 minute to watch anything that I know nothing about other than it's a MMORPG (!), it's on a browser (!!) and it's Steampunk (!!!).

If you want to give me a hard time feel free to feel like a cool kid, but I don't think I was being too demanding asking you to take the hassle of posting a few info about the actual game along with the shitty video link.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:54:10 PM

If you want to give me a hard time feel free to feel like a cool kid, but I don't think I was being too demanding asking you to take the hassle of posting a few info about the actual game along with the shitty video link.

Sorry if it came off a bit harsh but I found the request for an executive summary as if your time is more valuable than mine a bit insulting.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 02:49:48 PM

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:50:10 PM

From what I can tell it's a cookie-cutter DIKU that looks and plays a lot like Dungeon Siege 2 and appears to perform like Battlefield 3 set to Jesus-Christ Quality.

It's not personal Phred, you should know you need more than another DIKU topped off with minor, arbitrary modifications to impress anyone here.

Is it good considering the budget? Yes, maybe. Is it mechanically fresh? No, not at all. Does it offer something new? Not as far as I can tell. So you will have to tell us what we're missing, because I personally can't tell what I, nor anyone, is supposed to get excited about.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 04:32:46 PM

From what I can tell it's a cookie-cutter DIKU that looks and plays a lot like Dungeon Siege 2 and appears to perform like Battlefield 3 set to Jesus-Christ Quality.

It's not personal Phred, you should know you need more than another DIKU topped off with minor, arbitrary modifications to impress anyone here.

Is it good considering the budget? Yes, maybe. Is it mechanically fresh? No, not at all. Does it offer something new? Not as far as I can tell. So you will have to tell us what we're missing, because I personally can't tell what I, nor anyone, is supposed to get excited about.

It's not a fucking diku. It's a diablo like ARPG. It says it like 3 min into the video. Or are diablo-likes now under the blanket diku label now?
I've seen games with a UO like skill system called dikus on this board so I just don't know anymore.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 05:59:21 PM

I called it a DIKU because it reminded me way more of WoW/LotRO/Rift than Diablo, Path of Exile or Torchlight. It has targeting circles, discrete AoEs, auto-attack, hotbars, stationary combat, free-moving camera, seemingly no dodging, slow pace, small groups of enemies, even a sort of pulling - all staples of WoW/whatever rather than Diablo/whatever. Not exclusive to the formerly mentioned titles, no, but generally speaking those are in the genre of games that are associated with these mechanics, no matter what you call the genre.

So ok. I regret my choice of words. It looks like a poor ARPG, if that's what it's going for. Kinda like Dungeon Siege. why so serious?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 06:20:13 PM

/insert "Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?!" pic here

Popcorn

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:39:12 PM

I called it a DIKU because it reminded me way more of WoW/LotRO/Rift than Diablo, Path of Exile or Torchlight. It has targeting circles, discrete AoEs, auto-attack, hotbars, stationary combat, free-moving camera, seemingly no dodging, slow pace, small groups of enemies, even a sort of pulling - all staples of WoW/whatever

Ya I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you but none of the things you mention is a typical characteristic of a diku mud. If you want to see the characteristics of a Diku look no further than EQ as it was at one time alleged that EQ stole the diku source code because of how similar the games played. As Diku was a text mud, dodging targetting, camera and other things you mention would be irrelevant. Though I admit this board has kind of adopted Diku as a descriptor for whatever the author does not like in an MMOG it's very poor usage.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 11:39:23 AM

While I love the theme, and I love indie products, this looks like garbage. I can't keep my eyes open through the first 3 minutes of the video (poor video and poor audio, not the game's fault), but I don't mean to write it off as utter rubbish. Since you seem pretty enthusiastic about it, would you mind putting down some of the key features or whatever made you think it's worth its own thread? I am in no way being snarky.

I'm at about 56 seconds in and there's all sorts of visually interesting stuff going on, environments I haven't seen attempted in an MMO before, something that looks like a steampunk italian seaside town. I'm watching the video at work with no sound. Not sure why you'd say this looks like garbage?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 12:06:23 PM

The character models are awful is the thing that jumps out to me. Environments seem fine, maybe even interesting, but no time to watch the whole thing right now.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 06:00:51 AM

Browsergames I try not to post unless they've been played for a spell.  The genre right now is suffering a bit of backlash anyways.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 02:15:03 PM

One thing I find interesting is that this is one of the most advanced games I've seen using the  Unity engine which Wasteland apparently is using too. I mean advanced in how far along it is not it's technical development.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 05:12:14 PM

This game is having a free weekend to check out the alpha.

http://www.cityofsteam.com/

Warning. Game rebooted my computer when I tried to go full screen. Definately alpha.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:02:36 PM by Phred »
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:13 PM

There have been beta giveaways of this going around in several places lately, but doesn't look like interest has been that great. In case any of you who has more free time wants to check it out, there are keys left at least on Eurogamer and BBGSite.

Testing will take place between November 16th and December 28th, divided into 4 seasons:

Springtide (Nov. 16th to 20th)
Summercrest (Nov. 30th to Dec. 4th)
Autumnwane (Dec. 14th to 18th)
Winter Festival (Dec. 23 to 28th)

The Closed Beta Test starting on Fridays (except for the last test, which runs from Saturday to the following Friday) at 19:00 PST (22:00 EST) and lasting until Tuesdays at 00:00 PST (03:00 EST)

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 07:01:07 AM

Necro only to say that this is now free to play and since it doesn't even require an install it is absolutely worth checkin out. Getting in and out of the game takes 20 seconds, and I'll admit that my first impression is that the game is better than I expected.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 10:13:00 PM

I'd play, but I get consistently rubberband-stuck on a tutorial quest.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:13 PM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 01:33:54 PM

Double necro.  Once again, this is shutting down, only it appears it's for reals this time.

http://www.cityofsteam.com/Article/detail/id/247
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 10:10:22 AM

Good.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: City of Steam - New steampunk arpg f2p  
Jump to: