Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:25:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Bat Country Live Server: Gate of Madness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Poll
Question: Should Bat Country stay on Fort Aspenwood or find a low population server?
Stay on Fort Aspenwood. - 5 (12.5%)
Find a low population server. - 12 (30%)
I don't care, either is fine. - 16 (40%)
I don't care, I am not going to WvW with BC - 7 (17.5%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bat Country Live Server: Gate of Madness  (Read 49670 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:23 AM

Fort Aspenwood is a strong server but the WvW queues are substantial.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:51:43 AM by schild »

"Me am play gods"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:06:54 AM

Seems like the choice is balancing WWW queues vs PvE density to trigger better events.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:08:12 AM

My small but primary guild is likely going to be on Sorrow's Furnace.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:10:39 AM

I have to say that I was impressed by how smoothly the game ran even in the middle of a zerg pounding away on a heavily defended keep.  The biggest problem I had was losing track of my character in all the clutter.  I plan on wearing some hideously loud die dye schemes when this game goes live.  

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:53:55 AM by Tmon »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:46:25 AM

I plan on wearing some hideously loud die schemes when this game goes live.  
May your enemie's dye a thousand death's.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:40 AM

I thought the WvWvW queues were just a bug?  There shouldn't even be such a thing at release should there?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:51:55 AM

I am playing GW2 entirely for the pvp.  My vote is for any server with instant pvp queues. 

Alternatively, let someone choose the server and make the guild that won't be gone in a month.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:53:19 AM

I plan on wearing some hideously loud die schemes when this game goes live.  
May your enemie's dye a thousand death's.

I hate when I do that.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:25:14 AM

I am playing GW2 entirely for the pvp.  My vote is for any server with instant pvp queues. 

Alternatively, let someone choose the server and make the guild that won't be gone in a month.

PVP or WvW?

As I understand it, PVP is serverless, so there is no server with faster or slower queues. WvW is server based, but it's queue is for overpopulation.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 11:01:46 AM

I thought the WvWvW queues were just a bug?  There shouldn't even be such a thing at release should there?
Queues that never finish were the bug. Queues and zone population cap were always in the WvW design.  They have said they will try to raise the cap to high as the servers can handle.

"Me am play gods"
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 09:24:53 PM

I think my small group of friends are planning on playing on Tarnished Coast. Its the unofficial RP server. Seems to have a fantastic community, they are good at WvW (have a very good record from all the betas) and so far not a single uber guild. Wins all around. Also, general chat was very pleasant.

List of guilds by server
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:30:55 PM by Morfiend »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:30:13 PM

PVP or WvW?

As I understand it, PVP is serverless, so there is no server with faster or slower queues. WvW is server based, but it's queue is for overpopulation.

I believe there are two queues for an overcrowded server. First the world queue, where you get put in the overflow. You can still PVE but not WvW. After you get in the actual server, you can then attempt to join WvW with also has a cap, and will queue you if its full.

I could be wrong about this, but thats what I had been led to believe.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 09:39:13 PM

That's right.  We had tons of WvW queues last weekend on FAW. Even better you could spam f at a gate to by pass it.  It was a mess.  Yah for beta!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:21:20 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 12:12:51 AM

Personally I think making the decision to switch servers based on known bugs in the wvwvw queueing system and an oversold beta weekend is pretty retarded.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 06:25:51 AM

My small guild of friends will probably roll on whatever server BC does.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 06:33:51 AM

Same with my guild -- I'll try to match our server choice with BC's, if possible.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 07:51:33 AM

Fixing the bugs in WvW queues isn't going to change the fact that FAW has a massive population. Given its success with WvW and it's Penny Arcades home server, it will continue to get bigger. Also we could run into a situation like BWE2 where people locked out of making characters all together on FAW.

The only reason to stay I can think of is we want to take a shot at the top level, serious business, run with big dogs RvR. But given this poll and peoples behavior in game it just doesn't seem like we are interested.

"Me am play gods"
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:16 AM

Fixing the bugs in WvW queues isn't going to change the fact that FAW has a massive population. Given its success with WvW and it's Penny Arcades home server, it will continue to get bigger. Also we could run into a situation like BWE2 where people locked out of making characters all together on FAW.

I think if you expect the server to ccntinue growing much after initial release you're delusional. Other than expansions the first few weeks will be the peak for population. Especially for a game with no subscription.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 10:21:21 AM

I think you guys should come join us on Tarnished Coast.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 11:03:33 AM

I think if you expect the server to ccntinue growing much after initial release you're delusional. Other than expansions the first few weeks will be the peak for population. Especially for a game with no subscription.
Feel free to actually contribute to the conversation and actually tell us why its so important to stay on FAW.

"Me am play gods"
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 01:04:17 PM

Feel free to actually contribute to the conversation and actually tell us why its so important to stay on FAW.

It's not so much FAW as it is picking some low pop ghetto that has me upset.
But I can always guest over from a better server I suppose.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 01:18:29 PM

I think Taz would like to know what constitues the "better server" part of your post.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 01:20:37 PM

If I learned one thing from DAOC it is that RVR type activity sucks ass on a low pop server.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 01:21:43 PM

Even when its 3 low pop servers fighting it each other?

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 01:26:17 PM

Yeah, even if the numbers are the same there's still just less going on, and there's FAR FAR more opportunity for exclusion based on spec prejudice or whatever. When I play this eventually I'm going to pick the biggest, zergiest server I can.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:46 PM

My buddies and I are going to be joining Fist of the Empire.  They are saying they are gonna field about 100-150 ppl already for WvW.  Not sure what server they are headed to yet though.  I also know Team Legacy is going to another huge guild to look for.  Best thing to do is find one of these huge pvp guilds and hit the same server as them.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:34:52 PM by Evildrider »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 01:33:14 PM

Plus low population servers might be more vulnerable to a situation where one low pop server has a relatively high percentage of devoted PvPers matched with a server with the same overall population but of mostly PvEers matched with another server with a similar overall population of 'fair weather' casual PvPers.

On larger population servers there should be enough unwashed masses to make that scenario less of an issue, but at least early on in the life of the game it could be an issue on the low pop servers.

Over and out.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 01:52:59 PM

Being so bad ass that you are matched against worlds in a higher weight class sounds like positive not a negative to me.

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 02:21:22 PM

Being so bad ass that you are matched against worlds in a higher weight class sounds like positive not a negative to me.

My advice...
Go where the Aussies go.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 03:19:26 PM

I think Taz would like to know what constitues the "better server" part of your post.

Well the one we are on seems fine to me.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 04:51:03 PM

Yeah, even if the numbers are the same there's still just less going on, and there's FAR FAR more opportunity for exclusion based on spec prejudice or whatever. When I play this eventually I'm going to pick the biggest, zergiest server I can.

And from a PVE perspective, a dead server is also hell. At least you can guest elsewhere though
Feverdream
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 10:07:19 PM

Argh, don't ever pick a low-population server.  I've seen it happen too many times -- after the initial rush, and once people bounce around to different servers to join friends, you risk being left on a low-activity server, which is just no fun.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 06:08:42 AM

We don't have to pick between the two extremes, there's a happy medium between "barren wasteland" and "long ass pvp queues".

I am the .00000001428%
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 06:37:40 AM

Just stay with Fort Aspenwood unless someone comes up with a better choice for a server.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 10:31:39 AM

We don't have to pick between the two extremes, there's a happy medium between "barren wasteland" and "long ass pvp queues".

Why does it take so long for the fact that long ass pvp queuse were because of a  bug to sink in?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Bat Country Live Server: Gate of Madness  
Jump to: