Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: State of the Game (FunCom official post) (August update on pg2) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of the Game (FunCom official post) (August update on pg2)  (Read 68537 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:52 AM

Yes, but they're probably going for a higher rating than AoC.
I KNOW AND ALL BUT SOMETHING SOMETHING BOOBS
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 10:45:36 AM

I think they really hit the design jackpot with being able to deliver "supposedly low level" content that even top level players have reasons to play. The "endless and flat" XP is a great, great idea. And brilliantly executed so far.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 12:20:53 PM

I KNOW AND ALL BUT SOMETHING SOMETHING BOOBS
Sorry, I could hear you over thoughts of fiery succubi.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 03:30:21 AM

On deckbuilding, and the expansion of the skill-wheel concept.

Quote from: Ragnar Tornquist
The first auxiliary weapon is coming soon, and that will add more options to your decks. Without saying TOO much...you will be able to augment existing decks, and diversify without compromising the way you currently play.

Of course, the first auxiliary weapon is just the FIRST auxiliary weapon, and if that one doesn't light your fire, the next one might. Or the next one. Yep, we have a whole bunch planned (I just looked at the final list of the first five auxiliary weapons twenty minutes ago, and I'm very excited!) and that's just the start. The combat system will continue to grow and evolve on an ongoing basis -- it won't remain what it is today for very long -- and the content will do the same.

Hopefully we can keep you guys happy and engaged and playing for a VERY, very long time!

Ragnar

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 07:45:44 AM

I haven't bought this one yet since I just bought a house and I've played about 2 hours of video games in the last three weeks.  I'm interested in playing in a few months though.  We'll see how things go.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 04:14:34 AM

I use this to post more things Ragnar says. This one is interesting, and after all the Bioware debacle I think it's really risky. So, on player choices:

Quote from: Ragnar Tonquist
Originally Posted by Tryss 
What would be really great, is that our global choice matter.

Imagine if the story evolve depending of what the most popular choice was? That would be really great.
It would be really great, wouldn't it?

Yes. Yes, it would.

He hinted somewhere else that the future chapters of the main plot for your character will be influenced by his/her own choices.
So either this is a very strong feature they are going to reveal at some point with much global amazement, or he's aiming at his foot waiting for the right moment to shoot.

Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 05:09:45 AM

I don't know whether to be hopeful, or to be quaking in my boots.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 07:34:06 AM

I would be incredibly pissed off if because most people took option A the story assumed I did even though I chose option B.  I am mostly thinking of
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 07:44:30 AM

You get to make two more choices like that. (major end spoilers, though I tried to keep it vague)
 so I can see that being used to justify Ragnar's comment.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:40 AM

I've made the second choice, for which I remained consistent, and should be able to finish up the Transylvania line tonight hopefully.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 07:48:14 AM

Look, I haven't got to that part and I had no idea there were options A or B or what. So please, more spoiler tags  Heart

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 09:16:21 AM

Hey, I'm about a quarter of the way into SC!

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:01 AM

Look, I haven't got to that part and I had no idea there were options A or B or what. So please, more spoiler tags  Heart

Knowing there is actually a choice is a great thing, tbh. This is one thing I did not like, the reason is in the spoiler though it doesn't give away quest info just talks about the way they did something which sucked

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 09:32:48 AM

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 09:52:02 PM

You get to make two more choices like that. (major end spoilers, though I tried to keep it vague)
 so I can see that being used to justify Ragnar's comment.
Yes after wrapping up the last main questline
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 28, 2012, 09:42:28 AM

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #51 on: July 28, 2012, 10:37:45 AM

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 02, 2012, 04:24:05 PM

August SOTG is up
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=56889

While we all know they took a big hit, the game is still fun and hopefully all this pans out and people join and/or come back to check out some of the new issues. I like the post overall though
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 02, 2012, 04:44:45 PM

Every GM ticket I've put in has been answered in less than 5-mins ingame.  Dunno where they've been cutting, but they haven't cut much in support so far.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #54 on: September 02, 2012, 06:29:08 PM

The fact that all of this is coming from someone who is responsible for some awesome games (in spite of all your "lol funcom") like The Longest Journey and Dreamfall is definitely a bonus, and gives hints of hope. If anything else, he already surprised us all at this point.

Based on the CoH/V experience, this works great in building up player community and expectations right up to the point those expectations fail to be delivered. Then Emmert Tornquist becomes the face of the company were the most abuse is directed. The problem is where he says, "Hey, here are our plans!" and players get all excited, then those plans aren't delivered on or are scaled back.

Plus it becomes expected that the Lead Dev will always be as involved in the community. When they start to pull back, it gets noticed and interpreted as meaning things.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 12:19:07 AM

The GW2 release has cleared the game of unbelievers.  They're gonna have to do a server merge or two here very soon or risk seriously compromising retention.  As it stands now,  it's starting to become difficult to find even elite grps.  And normal runs are near impossible in any zone due to the simple fact u still need a tank/healer.  So at this point if you're not running NM's regularly you're basically screwed unless you're just brought along for the ride.

It's forcing me to spec into chaos in order to play.  Not that it's particularly hard to do, just a PITA when I want to explore other parts of the wheel.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 07:48:56 AM

I haven't played since GW2 came out, but I'm keeping my sub up.  I think TSW is a far better non-PvP game than GW2, but right now all my friends are in GW2 so I feel some obligation to keep up with them.

I think there are probably quite a few people like me that will be coming back after the GW2 newness wears off.
Genev
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 08:52:49 AM

I ahve a lifetime subscription, so i'll keep popping in and out for some time, but right now, GW2 is all "omgnewsoshiny" (though it's wearing off and have played some TSW, and even some D3 recently)

Different games for when you feel like different stuff, really
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 12:11:14 PM

New dev blog, dealing with changes to Lairs:

TL;DR:

• Lairs will be tuned for groups of 5 people.
  • Lair difficulty will be changed (reduced), they are supposed to be a stepping stone between Elite and Nightmare Dungeons.
  • Each Lair will have intially 1, later 3 missions attached.
  • Lairs will have loot progression - Standard lair mobs can be done in green gear, summoned regional bosses are balanced for full blue gear.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:14:56 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 12:32:03 PM

Big bullet point for the TL:DR that wasn't included - bosses are guranteed to drop Blue/Purple signets (depending on difficulty of boss)

So better signets will be guranteed to drop in lairs off bosses, meaning you'll want to keep these quests on cooldown and get as many bosses as possible. Maybe even work with a group to chain summon.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 06, 2012, 01:22:46 PM

The GW2 release has cleared the game of unbelievers.  They're gonna have to do a server merge or two here very soon or risk seriously compromising retention.  As it stands now,  it's starting to become difficult to find even elite grps.  And normal runs are near impossible in any zone due to the simple fact u still need a tank/healer.  So at this point if you're not running NM's regularly you're basically screwed unless you're just brought along for the ride.

It's forcing me to spec into chaos in order to play.  Not that it's particularly hard to do, just a PITA when I want to explore other parts of the wheel.

Going to edit myself here in that SUPPOSEDLY LFG is cross-server, but frankly I just dont believe it.  Routinely I'm the only one making a peep in any zone in Egypt. Maybe it's broken - I dunno.  But regardless, PvP is essentially unusable with the server pops the way they are.  And since NM runs require PvP buffs (dependent on gear), this is a big problem.

If no server merges then an LFG tool definitely.  Maybe that'll keep people from just hanging out in Agartha.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 07, 2012, 05:14:54 AM

LFG tool confirmed for 9/11. Cross dimension, old school, not auto-match.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 07, 2012, 07:36:02 AM

Someone took pictures of it on the test server (supposedly) and it looked like a worse version of the agent finder mod. Hopefully that is improved upon as otherwise there's almost no reason to use the official one over the mod.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 07, 2012, 07:58:16 AM

An official built in LFG tool will trump a player tool.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 07, 2012, 08:24:21 AM

For usage yes, from the looks of it though not in functionality or appearance. That's why I'm hoping FC makes some improvements if the pictures were accurate.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 12, 2012, 02:25:15 AM

Ughs. Lead Designer Martin Bruusgard is among the fired as well.

Earlier today former Secret World lead designer Martin Bruusgaard informed Twitter followers that he was let go from the company last week.

Bruusgaard also speculated about the severity of Funcom's job cuts, saying that "I think that 50 percent was an overall Funcom percentage. The Oslo office got hit much much harder."

Cost-cutting the lead designer? Anyone know more about this...?

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 07:26:47 AM

Ok that's a bit unexpected, fuck.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 08:52:13 AM

Oh man.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 12, 2012, 08:54:30 AM

Ok that's a bit unexpected, fuck.

What I got from Twitter was that wasn't another firing, but part of big letting-go that happened in August. But still.......

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:12 AM

It's not something that makes you feel like it would be a good investment to resub, I'll say that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: State of the Game (FunCom official post) (August update on pg2)  
Jump to: