Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: GW2 Design limitations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GW2 Design limitations  (Read 28124 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 05:49:18 PM

Also fails the pokemon factor.

Also, IIRC, Tera dyes are temporary duration.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 08:53:37 PM

Also fails the pokemon factor.

Also, IIRC, Tera dyes are temporary duration.

OMG he's comparing GW2 to Tera? Get back to us when you can dye the day-glow scenery ok?

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 01:18:39 AM

Except your example appears to be an item that can only be dyed one color and therefore loses.
It's example of more flexible dye colour interface.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:30 AM

Except your example appears to be an item that can only be dyed one color and therefore loses.

Considering you get most dyes as (random) drops in GW2 it wouldn't really work there (and there are only 400 dyes I think in GW2 so no need for sliders really)
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 04:55:14 AM

Considering you get most dyes as (random) drops in GW2 it wouldn't really work there (and there are only 400 dyes I think in GW2 so no need for sliders really)
Well, that highlights why i thought the slider alternative was superior -- it does away with the whole '400 different dyes to collect and sift through' nonsense as there can be just one generic 'dye' item (button?) which allows you to select any desired colour directly, and you get side-benefit of wider available colour range with it. Possibly also less frustrating than potentially drawn out hunt for that one colour you actually want.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 05:09:11 AM

Collecting dyes is the point. They're a luxury rare item in GW2 that you're meant to collect.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 05:26:37 AM

see also: monetization, sans subscription

&

No more mixing? OMG why??
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:29:23 AM by Severian »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 06:40:07 AM

Yay color theory. I've just been learning this stuff, with only a little bit of CYMK vs RGB reflected vs emitted light stuff. Fun read.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 07:32:20 AM

I actually really liked the mini-game of collecting dyes. Managed to get some really good colour combinations that I liked already.

I'm finding that my red/green colourblindness is causing a lot of issues though - I find it really hard to pick out targets properly when I get into some of the more hectic fights.

In that article that was linked, it said that dye colours would be unlocked for your account, but this past beta weekend that wasn't the case to my disappointment.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 07:38:37 AM

They originally said account wide, then changed it to per character but iirc they said more recently it was going back to account wide. I assume it just didn't make it into the most recent build, along with the ability to turn off that fucking Star Trek bleep for map chat  Sad Panda
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 12:01:27 PM

A very bad example
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

You people and your color vision.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 12:45:32 PM

You guys should sue!

To be serious, though; why not have an accessibility tab? Color shift for names, large type, etc.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:24 PM

You guys should sue!

To be serious, though; why not have an accessibility tab? Color shift for names, large type, etc.

With the huge percentage of the population that has some form of colour blindness it's pretty amazing so many games get this wrong.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 07:41:51 PM

Collecting dyes is the point. They're a luxury rare item in GW2 that you're meant to collect.
Yeah, it's just the point i think they got really wrong -- i don't want to play a "catch them all" with dye window interface, merely need a few specific colours that i like, so i can paint my equipment. As such i'd much prefer to be able to obtain these colours on the spot, not in who knows how many days or weeks it's going to take the RNG to grant me those particular choices out of 400 possible, 395 of which i neither need nor want.

If they really wanted to have one more collection to tickle some completionist's fancy they could've just added a set of otherwise pointless cubes with 1-400 number on them, instead. Or whatever.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:00 PM

Modifying your appearance is a game goal... I mean they have to convince people that doing dungeons for a unique armor appearance is reasonable.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 08:18:29 PM

If you don't care about collecting 400 dyes, then you'll probably be happy with the basic ones close to the hue you want.  I could make a perfectly acceptable outfit upon character creation with the colors I started with.  Found dyes just let me tweak it a little.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 15, 2012, 07:16:21 AM

You guys should sue!

Colour shift for names would help a ton. I know in other games one of the first things I do is change chat colours so they have more contrast - i don't see why I shouldn't be able to do that with player/npc names.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 15, 2012, 09:57:14 AM

With my monitor calibration, I can't read the purple most games use for rare items.  Ohhhhh, I see. Reds are also dicey (like combat text).
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 15, 2012, 12:20:59 PM

With my monitor calibration, I can't read the purple most games use for rare items.  Ohhhhh, I see. Reds are also dicey (like combat text).

A guy I used to work with in the television business once told me that Red text is was a no no because it's almost impossible to read. Appearantly that knowledge hasn't migrated to other professions yet.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 16, 2012, 08:59:56 AM

If you don't care about collecting 400 dyes, then you'll probably be happy with the basic ones close to the hue you want.
I'm quite obsessive with the exact shade i might want so, no. It'd be a different matter if selection was plain limited and it was a case of 'either this colour or bust' but knowing these extra shades *are* out there makes it a rrrrarrgh thing, instead.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 16, 2012, 01:45:08 PM

I'm getting a sudden itch to recreate my GW1 ritualist's getup in GW2. All Orange, All Terrible, All The Time.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 16, 2012, 02:05:18 PM

I'm curious if the PVE leveling experience follows the same pattern up to 80. I thought the zones were cool, gorgeous, and nicely laid out, but I also felt by the time I did two zones a little fatigue for the experience and looking for some evolution of the concept, like mastering the core concepts and moving into more advanced routines.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 16, 2012, 04:20:56 PM

I find that interesting. Once I'd experienced the big chain quests I would glady repeat them. Go finish off a heart, see the chain being near it's final stage, go join it. Very different experience on the empty server though...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 16, 2012, 08:57:55 PM

Yeah once I did the one with the farm and bandits swarming in and running buckets and fighting and worms popping and the giant worm. Then I fed some cows with my next character and was all "What the hell."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: GW2 Design limitations  
Jump to: