Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:11:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Amazon DL price (Steam) Cheaper than Going Directly Through Steam? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amazon DL price (Steam) Cheaper than Going Directly Through Steam?  (Read 2191 times)
Raguel
Terracotta Army

on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:12 PM

I see Crusader Kings II on sale on Amazon for about $10.00 but it's $40.00 on Steam. A few others are cheaper on Amazon as well (e.g. M&B, Arma 2). Weird, but then I really don't understand the business relationship the two have.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:43:36 PM

Amazon and the big game publishers want to take steam's slice of the pie and eat it all themselves? Or if you mean Amazon cutting sweet deals with the publishers that would be an interesting question, but I guess it's just their perceived mass and the extent of their customer base.

Though since Amazon games are still US only I think it would be a terrible thing if they came out dominant.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:28:30 PM

If you look at the system requirements on the Amazon download, you'll see that Crusader Kings requires Steam to activate anyway. What will happen is you'll get a Steam code and you can just download it through Steam if you want. I did that with Deus Ex at Xmas.

Amazon doesn't really have a business relationship with Steam. The developer does. Amazon has a deal with the publisher that lets them discount the game occasionally, just like Steam.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 02:59:35 PM

That makes more sense. If I had known I would have made a thread earlier so everyone knew. Amazon had a Paradox collection sale (sword of the stars and about 5 other games) for around $30.00 and now it's up to $135. CKII is now $40.00 :(
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Amazon DL price (Steam) Cheaper than Going Directly Through Steam?  
Jump to: