Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:50:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: "The Master": Joaquin gets back to acting. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Master": Joaquin gets back to acting.  (Read 13159 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

on: May 21, 2012, 10:00:34 AM

Paul Thomas Anderson's next thing.... looks like Joaquin could be looking at a career performance.

Synopsis via IMDB: A 1950s-set drama centered on the relationship between a charismatic intellectual known as "the Master" whose faith-based organization begins to catch on in America, and a young drifter who becomes his right-hand man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZDKFoCqAw

beer geek.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 02:15:48 PM

Oh and Philip Seymour Hoffman not as L.Ron Hubbard.  

edit: Wow Phoenix in that one trailer.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:39:52 PM by Soln »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:22:56 PM

Phoenix is one HELL of an actor. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:37:22 PM

Phoenix is one HELL of an actor. 

I agree.  He set the mood amazingly well in 90s. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:50:54 AM

A new trailer thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGyj4pbfWfo

This just looks fucking fantastic.

beer geek.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:04:01 PM

Looks amazing.  I'll see it the day it releases.  Getting a Sean Penn vibe off of Phoenix's performance.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 04:15:09 PM

I am intrigued.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:18:18 PM

A new trailer thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGyj4pbfWfo

This just looks fucking fantastic.

Oh yeah, that's the shit right there.   This is either a movie about L. Ron Hubbard or an update of "Manos: Hands of Fate".
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 06:17:15 AM

That soundtrack deserves an award.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 06:50:19 AM

Anderson got Jonny Greenwood to do the score, and he's phenomenal.  His work on There Will Be Blood was unbelievably good and really set the tone for that film.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:29:09 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Anderson is an overrated hack?

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 07:45:48 AM

Nope.

I've still enjoyed his films, though.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:11:26 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Anderson is an overrated hack?

Definitely not, but that's not something really shocking. There are plenty of people that don't like Kubrick for example. I happen to like Anderson quite a lot.

beer geek.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 08:05:19 AM

First trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgV16H8zl_A

Fucking hell, just give me this so I can put it in my eyeballs already.

beer geek.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 01:38:53 PM

Finally, release date news. Opens limited September 14 and then wider in the weeks after.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-master-opens-limited-sept-16-expands-week/

beer geek.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 03:45:19 PM

This only seems to be playing at the film festival here in Toronto and I'm not a God damn hippie so when is the general release?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:08 PM

Can I go on record and say I'm not really sure why people are expecting this to be so good?
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 08:03:56 AM

Can I go on record and say I'm not really sure why people are expecting this to be so good?

No, sorry, you can't.

In all seriousness.. the acting looks truly astronishing, plus PTA is a fantastic director who seems to be really hitting his stride. He also seems to be the closest we have to someone like Hitchcock or Kubrick in terms of examining psyche in film. The movie looks gorgeously shot and incredibly acted and... terribly dark. Which for me, is perfect.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 09:47:38 AM

plus PTA is a fantastic director who seems to be really hitting his stride. He also seems to be the closest we have to someone like Hitchcock or Kubrick in terms of examining psyche in film.

I'm disagreeing with what you said as hard as I possibly can.  Ohhhhh, I see.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:38 AM

In what sense? I'm all for that discussion!

beer geek.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 10:02:04 AM

No, I'm right there with you.  Not sure why I'm supposed to be so excited about this one.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 01:34:29 PM

Anderson is an overrated hack. He takes the tone poem soundtrack schtick from David Lynch, then hammers it into your skull for two and a half hours. There Will Be Blood was a droning, meandering, waste of fucking time that never went anywhere, and was so devoid of emotion that even its violent climax elicited no emotion from me other than "That's it? After two hours, that's it?" The climax was filmed in such a sterile, distant manner that the whole scene had not one ounce of the catharsis it should have.

His movies tend to be pretentious circle jerks that take too long to say too little about too much.

They insist upon themselves.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 01:35:31 PM

Anderson is an overrated hack. He takes the tone poem soundtrack schtick from David Lynch, then hammers it into your skull for two and a half hours. There Will Be Blood was a droning, meandering, waste of fucking time that never went anywhere, and was so devoid of emotion that even its violent climax elicited no emotion from me other than "That's it? After two hours, that's it?" The climax was filmed in such a sterile, distant manner that the whole scene had not one ounce of the catharsis it should have.

His movies tend to be pretentious circle jerks that take too long to say too little about too much.

So that's a no on this then?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 01:36:40 PM

Actually, I AM interested in it, but only because of the actors and the story. I have no doubts that I will probably hate it despite all that.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 01:37:03 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 01:50:40 PM

Given what I was comparing it against, are your sentiments about Kubrick the same?

Because honestly, we have similar issues with TWBB. It has things to fucking love, as in shot composition and acting, but does in fact have issues with pacing and does in fact lack a certain... thing? to make it stick. I think it was Ebert who compared it against Citizen Kane and mentioned that Plainview lacked his "Rosebud".

But the positives of the score (which we differ on, obviously), shot composition and acting far outweigh the other things. TWBB is not a modern masterpiece, and I don't mean to pose PTA as the best working director (because, frankly he's not), and I mean it when I say that he's hitting his stride, not that he has it.

Looking back at the chronology of his films exposes an artist who has all the right pieces waiting for an opus. From what I've seen from the trailers, and heard from early screenings, The Master sounds like it could be quite great.

However, it could also fall into the same problems that his past films have had.... that he's... not quit there. But I still enjoy his films far greater than most films produced. But, I do think he's probably the closest we do have to someone like Kubrick. That doesn't mean he IS Kubrick... he's far from it.

beer geek.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 01:59:13 PM

I don't understand what the issue is, you roll the dice with any movie.  That it could be slow artsy Academy bait?

"Me am play gods"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 03:37:31 PM

Wow, going to have to disagree heavily with you on this.  I only watched TWBB last year, but was really amazed by it.  I thought the entire movie was super intense and just oozed raw emotion.  The acting was amazing, and the story was vastly different from what I thought it would be (in a good way).  It instantly became one of my favorite movies ever.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 05:55:06 PM

Got back from it, enjoyed it immensely. Hoffman and Phoenix are mesmerizing on-screen, but Amy Adams also lurks in the background to add to the piece. Maybe not perfect, but pretty damn good. For me there were some personal takeaways.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 06:11:21 PM

The acting looks truly astronishing,

To me the acting quality looks on par with... cherry picked moments from... Walk The Line.

Joaquin's shtick doesn't do much for me. Hoffman is much more interesting, but I'm not expecting PTA to do as much with him as he could - all his films are the same...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:19 AM

Given what I was comparing it against, are your sentiments about Kubrick the same?

That depends on which Kubrick movie we are talking about. Eyes Wide Shut? Yep, had a lot of the same feel. That movie was a terrible, terrible movie, none of the actors evoked any emotion from me and you could feel the director's hand oppressing every ounce of energy on the screen. But something like A Clockwork Orange or 2001, or really any movie he did from Lolita to Full Metal Jacket? While you can feel the director intentionally muting a lot of the performances in those movies, he still manages to evoke emotion from the audience, whether it's the revulsion of the acts of ultraviolence in Orange or sympathy at the plight of the dying Vietnamese girl at the end of Jacket, fear at the two little girls in The Shining or wonderment at Bowman's entrance into the obelisk in 2001.

At least Boogie Nights made me feel something - granted that something was a greasy feeling of being unwashed at having seen that whole spectacle, but TWBB? Nada. I felt no sympathy for any of the characters, nor even a hint of understanding about why they acted as they did.

I really hope The Master is him finally putting the pieces together to make a great film, because I really dig the cast and the story.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 11:08:52 AM

You do have to read between the lines at some points in TWBB to find the reasons for characters' choices, except for the preacher, whose behavior is pretty well explained through his relationship with his family.  Especially in a scene where he attacks his father.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:15:03 AM by Ruvaldt »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 12:22:55 PM

I got absolutely none of what you were saying about that character from watching it. There's a difference between subtle and inscrutable.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14:21 AM

I have am in the "undecided" camp here. Don't really have any strong on feelings for Anderson (only seen Maginola, it was too long again to form an opinion).

The trailer didn't really give a good feel for what's coming imho; not sure what's supposed to be interesting about Joaquins character. Reason I will watch it nonetheless are my long standing crush on Philip Seymour Hoffman and that guru-charlatan characters like Hubbard are very intriguing.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 11:19:48 AM

You guys are nuts, TWBB was/is epic. And Daniel Day Lewis is a monster, no matter the movie. Almost the same for PSH…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: "The Master": Joaquin gets back to acting.  
Jump to: