Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Followers... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Followers...  (Read 16596 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: May 21, 2012, 06:55:32 AM

So who uses what in terms of companions when not running with anyone?

I been using Lyndon and his shit is too funny sometimes... Most of it cheesy, but sometimes he'll let something slip that forces me to read the chat box. I don't really use the others, though I ran around with Eirena on my monk for a few levels. Her dialogs were not nearly as good.

And just to add... Lyndon looks bad ass with a rare battle crossbow.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:57:40 AM

I bring the Templar, his heals have saved my ass plenty of times.

I am the .00000001428%
Raknor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:58:43 AM

Templar with heals (left column of abilities) pretty much exclusively.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:58:55 AM

I love the scoundrel's dialogue. Either him hitting on the women and getting shot down, or fishing the dudes to find out if they have a cute sister. I really love when you have two companions for a bit and they banter.

Combat wise, I use the enchantress usually. Her knockback is awesome, and her +all damage AE pool is amazing. I may try using a fully healbot specced templar though.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:15 AM

I run around with the Templar a lot because he fits with my wiz. I should switch him out for the Scoundrel some just to hear new dialogue.

On the subject, is there a way to respec followers? I haven't looked too hard for it but it has to be there somewhere.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:12:10 AM

If you right click their icon a menu comes up with a "Retrain" option.
lesion

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:05 AM

I use the scoundrel because I can't stand the other characters' dialogue. Also, on my wizard, having blind/ranged stuns is great for kiting and extra crit perks always help.

steam|a grue \[T]/
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:18 AM

If you right click their icon a menu comes up with a "Retrain" option.
Well, that's just simple enough to make me an idiot for not noticing it.

They should make Covetous Chen a follower in the expansion.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:19:03 AM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31:21 AM

Been using the enchantress so far - find her dialog with the female DH to be pretty funny. Also, her anti missile weapon shell works well with the DH.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:34:23 AM

Lyndon's comments kept him around a lot longer than Eirena... I never even got the Templar's name because he annoyed the shit outta me from the get go and I am too lazy to look it up. Honestly though, he is quite useful when he is Johnny-on-the-spot with the AoE blinds - that and he seems to use it a lot. Eirena has that nice shell or even the armor bonus... but seemed too naive.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 10:54:18 AM

The templar is a remarkably good tank and a good compliment for my wizard; I love watching him charge around, and his guardian ability has saved me innumerable times.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:28:19 AM

I haven't been soloing much but when I am I've been using the enchantress for her armor buff and attack speed buff for my pile of pets.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:32 PM

Enchantress reminds me of Merril.  She stays.

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 01:04:56 PM

There's companions other than the templar that heals?  Huh.

Do those companions heal?  No?  Then they will never be used by me.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 01:06:09 PM

I like the Enchantress; her mind control/confusion ability works on almost everything. Champions, enjoy fighting each other.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 01:07:49 PM

There's companions other than the templar that heals?  Huh.

Do those companions heal?  No?  Then they will never be used by me.

Maybe down the road for nightmare or hell, but fuck man... I have 6-8 health globes after each swarm on normal - not to mention the heals I get from abilities on my Barb.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 01:11:12 PM

Maybe it'll be worth it to use a different follower when I'm not playing wizard, but having a self healing charging heal aura tank is far too handy right now.  He made a difference on the WD as well, my dogs went from dying every fight to living through most fights, and needing to be recasted on boss packs.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 03:19:25 PM

My wizard has been hanging out with Lyndon, because Lyndon is funny. The templar actually has some amusing stuff (he is just FULL OF ENTHUSIASM) and I'm sure I'll switch to him once my wizard is not on normal, but for now it's my wizard and Lyndon versus hell. We're winning!

God Save the Horn Players
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 03:39:06 PM

The Templar also has a crush on the Enchantress which just makes him more endearing

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 03:55:58 PM

He does! It's totally adorable.  Heart

God Save the Horn Players
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 04:16:01 PM

The audio polish in this game is terrific (minus the lack of a sound for jewelry and jewel drops). The follower ad libs are great, and it's nice they actually vary a bit per zone.  For instance, moving from Act2 to 3, my Templar was complaining about the cold.  Another great feature is when an elite (blue) mob engages, a follower will make some warning call (e.g. "a worthy foe approaches" or something).  That's been invaluable to me since I rarely see them in advance.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 04:31:32 PM

They also seem to have fairly specific chatter for every other temp companion (e.g. Leah) and quite a few quests. The voicework for this game is definitely outstanding.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 04:42:29 PM

Blizzard went the BioWare route and brought in many "name" video game voice actors and it shows (heard?). E.g. Leah is none other than Jennifer Hale DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 05:24:18 PM

D3 is better than Skyrim or SWTOR for voice.  Must be the direction and content if some actors are the same.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:46 PM

End of nightmare/start of hell and I switched to Enchantress. She has some nice knockback/hex/buff abilities for me that I enjoy.

I figure at this point I'd rather have her hexing stuff/knocking it back then a Templar which may or may not heal me for 1/20th the damage monsters are doing.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 05:41:16 PM

I have been mainly using the Scoundrel, as he is nice ranged dps to compliment my monk.  That and the fact that I seem to get a new Rare Bow or Xbow every 20 minutes or so (i shit you not, I have like 15 of them banked on a level 2 DH that will keep her neck deep in Weapon upgrades till level 40) so he does like 4x the damage of the other two Companions.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 09:27:55 PM

The templar's health regen works great with the witch doctor's pets.  I haven't tried the enchantress yet, but I'd bet her armor buff is also useful.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 07:08:32 AM

BIG WARNING FOR HARDCORE PLAYERS:  Enchantress Mass Hex Bad!

Not sure if it is a bug, or a "random misfire chance" or what, but I got gibbed in a regular Nightmare session a few minutes ago when the Mass Hex spell for the Enchantress (the one that turns enemies into Chickens) turned ME into a chicken right in the middle of a swarm of nasty shit.

I would avoid that spell option on her like the plague if you decide to tote her around in any hardcore playthroughs.  Losing a Hardcore toon to a Follower would really suck.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 07:14:43 AM

Not sure if it is a bug, or a "random misfire chance" or what, but I got gibbed in a regular Nightmare session a few minutes ago when the Mass Hex spell for the Enchantress (the one that turns enemies into Chickens) turned ME into a chicken right in the middle of a swarm of nasty shit.

I would avoid that spell option on her like the plague if you decide to tote her around in any hardcore playthroughs.  Losing a Hardcore toon to a Follower would really suck.

Maybe she got hexed by one of the mobs?

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 07:20:58 AM

Did one of the mobs have missile reflect? It may be incorrectly classified a missile type spell and be able to bounce from things like spinning Dervishes and whatnot.
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 07:58:07 AM

ACK! ACK!

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 08:50:15 AM

Does Magic Find or any other stat on a ring on a follower help me?
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:52 AM

Does Magic Find or any other stat on a ring on a follower help me?

I think it is in the other thread where someone mentions this. IIRC, it helps, but the effects are tiny.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 09:57:33 AM

You inherit about 20% of your follower's MF and GF; it's probably not worth pushing it all that much.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 04:13:44 PM

Did one of the mobs have missile reflect? It may be incorrectly classified a missile type spell and be able to bounce from things like spinning Dervishes and whatnot.
Not sure.  It was in the "kill the mobs in the castle basement" section of Act 3.  I dont know of anything that might have missile reflect down there, unless it might have been a rare pack / spawn affix? The spell animation looks like an AoE grenade almost, not sure if that would count as reflectable.  Also, when it happened, other mobs around me were also Hexed.  

Anyone know if there is any monster effect that could turn you hostile to other players? or other players hostile to you?  Do mobs mindcontroll?

Edit to add: played around with the Enchantress a bit more, and this Hex hitting me is definately not a fluke thing.  I have ended up a Chicken at least 8 or 9 times in random situations while mucking around through act 3 and 4 Nightmare.  No pattern that i can identify, can happen when any kind of mob is around.  All in all, I would definately not spec for that spell if you want to use her as a companion in hardcore mode.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:28:55 PM by SurfD »

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Followers...  
Jump to: