Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: City of Heroes Episode I: A New Hope 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: City of Heroes Episode I: A New Hope  (Read 16541 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 08, 2004, 01:53:04 AM

I'll try and keep from breaking the NDA. No promises - but this is just a precursor to a much more indepth future article. That said, save us Cryptic Entertainment! You're our only hope!

Seriously. One of the big problems with all the disapora sites is the negativity towards the MMORPG industry. I mean shit, we all have a reason to fucking hate this vile industry. But we love to hate it. We also love to love it. It's because once in a blue moon a game comes along that can capture all of our hearts with nice firm bearhug.

City of Heroes has done something to reinstill hope into an industry that had been gasping for air for about 3 years now. When I quit SWG back in October '03, I thought that was the end. I didn't think I'd ever go back to MMORPG's. Then I saw FFXI... which I never ended up playing. It's not because the game isn't good, contrary to that I've heard almost nothing BUT good for the game. Mostly because I told myself Square would have to do a lot more than a decent MMO for me to get back into the FF series since that abortion of a game, Final Fantasy VIII, was released.

Then I got into the Horizons beta. I somehow mistook David Bowman's name for the other David, and well, after playing up until release I didn't think there was anything I would like more than a "slow sheet-lightning enema."

Then came Lineage 2. Suicide seems more fun.

Shortly thereafter I decided to pick up a pre-order box of City of Heroes from EB - thereby forcing myself into the beta. I was pretty much ready for a huge fucking letdown.

Wrong. This game is great. I don't care about WoW, EQ2, or whatever else is coming along anymore (though, I'll admit I will keep my eye on Tabula Rasa and Guild Wars if only because I'm a masochist). This game has made me feel like a kid again. It's almost as good as when I first discovered Tele-Arena on a local BBS when I was on my kick-ass ultra fast 14.4kbps modem. There's a certain charm that the game brings to the table that no other MMORPG released to date has been able to replicate.

Here are the 11 sections I'll have in my indepth review which is forthcoming:

1. Character Customization is better in this game than any other game ever made, in any genre, and on any system.

2. The Enhancement and Inspiration systems are pretty fucking cool and they seem to do away with traditional inventory systems as we know it.

3. Random monster/boss spawning and instanced missions make for much more enjoyable play. The missions in this game, while not highly varied are for some reason or another (well, I know the reason, but again...NDA) are better than any MMORPG previous to this one.

4. I don't give a shit about comic books or today's popular heroes anymore; but the backstory is pretty damned neat.

5. PVP is coming, and I have speculation about how it will be implemented, but it's a year away, and it'll probably take a year to go through all the content with a main character and an alt.

6. Supposed implementation of capes and hero/supergroup headquarters > me.

7. The crowd control class isn't some gimped revision of all the magic slinging classes we've seen - in fact all of the classes have a specific role in group dynamic. Despite the fact 4 out of the 6 people who play at f13.net are Scrappers.

8. Client is stable, solid, and near bugfree. This is a month before release, and it wasn't beta tested in Korea before us - we're the first.

9. Speaking of Koreans - you don't notice the treadmill in this game, unless you really try to focus on it.

10. The supergroup concept is really fucking cool. It seems limited now, but I haven't played enough to actually judge this particular facet of the game at this moment.

11. No 'camping' or pure healer class!

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to comment on sections you'd like to see included. I'm probably going to start writing the article this week.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 03:14:17 AM

One thing about CoH that's triggering the frothing fanboi aspect of me is the sidekick system. Sounds pretty cool, I'd like to know if it's working out to be as good as it sounds.

Still waiting on my pre-order beta stuff atm, looks hopeful that I'll be in next week maybe - if gamestop/ncsoft get their collective act together.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 05:09:26 AM

Quote from: schild

7. The crowd control class isn't some gimped revision of all the magic slinging classes we've seen - in fact all of the classes have a specific role in group dynamic. Despite the fact 4 out of the 6 people who play at f13.net are Scrappers.

Can we help it if every other game was always "Monk 4 teh win"? Heh. Actually, I did Scrapper on my first character so I could get a feel for the game. Now that I have, I'm starting another character because Controller and Blaster look to be much more fun to play.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Xilren's Twin

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 05:45:25 AM

Just got my email that my beta account is ready this morning (and of course the playNC server are down so I can't activate it yet...grumble).

Looking forward to checking it out today.  Character creation itself look like much more fun than all of Lineage2 just from whats on the website.  And while Im not a huge comic book fan, the backstory and villian groups have all the bases covered in a nice way (mutant cyber gang, evil magic group, aliens, mind altering subhuman forces, amoral megacorp and of course, nazis).

I'll probably start a Tanker to get a feel for the game but want to try the controller too and see what they've got.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 05:57:35 AM

Stop.  Please, just stop.

Okay, I'll go to BBY and get a preorder box this weekend.  I'd be lying if I said that I'm not glad to hear that a new mmorpg might be worth playing for at least the 'free' month.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 06:53:06 AM

Gotta play the game before you knock it.  I have been praising the game for a long time.  Honestly it has mostly been on a friends behalf.  They got in beta and I was the ugly duckling that kept getting passed over.  In games we have practically IDENTICAL tastes though (he just does not like sports games, I love football games).

In beta now of course and already have a level 6 science blaster.  Fire/Fire because I want the pretty burnies.

Best totorial to date by far.  They start you off saving the city from disease and violence, not saving an inn from rats.  The first set of missions took me to level 5 just completing them, and at level 5 my second set opened.  Level grind?  I don't see one yet.  I am still just doing my missions.  Which link together nicely and just fit.  I must stop talking about that.  Breaking the NDA probably.  I love how my contacts are starting to form a branching tree of choices now.  Affecting how my career will go, who I will concentrate on fighting, etc...

Inspirations don't sound like much (essentially one use potions), but they all stack, and you can only carry limited supply. They are your get out of shit cards.  Getting my ass handed to me?  Fire up 3 stacking damage inspirations, a quick heal inspiration and start dropping fireballs and area effect burns.  Plan b... run like hell.

No camping at all.  Saying why would be breaking NDA.  The game keeps you on the move, and that is a good thing, because navigating around the city is super fun.  Leaping fences, soaring off bridges, climbing up fire escapes and going building to building...  You can jump about 6 feet in the air at the start.  Later on you can get super jump and when you augment the snot out of that you can really soar.  But how can I pick superjump when nightcrawler teleportation, flight, superspeed (FREAKING FAST) are all also calling out to me?  I could get multiple, but I also love my boomies.  So many choices.  The game also encourages you to explore the back alleys and rooftops.

Ah well, its fun.  Unknown how long the shiney will last, but my friend has been in 2-3 months and is still loving it.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 06:59:41 AM

I just got in last night, with the last batch of pre-order beta invites.  I haven't had a chance to make a character or do anything beyond downloading and installing the game.  I am thinking of doing some kind of blaster, but I won't be able to start til I get home from work.  My question is this, is it possible to gimp yourself during character creation if you don't know what you are doing, or is this game balanced enough that most any combination is viable?  Also, is everyone who started already on the Prime server, is that the main server for F13 people?  Thanks guys.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 07:18:22 AM

My question is this, is it possible to gimp yourself during character creation if you don't know what you are doing, or is this game balanced enough that most any combination is viable?

No, you can't really gimp yourself on character creation.  Worst you could do is make a more group oriented character.  All primaries have attacks in them though.  They sort the powers so that you will have some bread and butter ability in your primary at the start.

I went fire/fire blaster and had a hard time at level 2.  The second mission was basically too hard for me.  But at that level you fully heal on zoning so I could win by attrition.  Once I made level 3 I was back on track and smooth sailing.  I must have gotten more hitpoints or defense or something.  I took just enough less damage to let me win battles that would be about 50/50 at level 2.

Your origin will decide your early missions though they are all pretty balanced.
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 08:21:32 AM

I don't know just how much detail you guys can give out, but can someone further explain this combat system?  From what I understand it is actually *gasp* fun?
Xilren's Twin

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 08:23:33 AM

I'd didn't realize there may be an economy and some crafting in this game.  Neat.  I should have read up more on this title.

C'mon lunchtime...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 09:06:41 AM

Best thing I can tell you about the combat system is that every single attack you make YOU HAVE TO TRIGGER IT. It sounds like such a little thing, but it keeps you riveted. In every other MMOG out there, including SB, I ended up watching the chat box for damage more than the actual act of combat. Not in this game. I watch every damn combat and only look down to see when my powers recharge.

Schild is right, this game has given even me hope for the MMOG genre. It's just so goddamned fun. It may be because I'm a frothing comic lover, but whatever it is, the game just tickles my little button in such a dirty, pleasurable way. It's a game I want to level in.

Missions > every other form of advancement in MMOG's to date. Seriously, they are fun. I've leveled to 4 with almost nothing but missions.

There is no real economy or crafting, everything is built around customizing your powers.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 09:22:03 AM

Well, my roomate found two pre-order boxes at best buy so he pickled one up for me and one for himself.  From what I've read all you have to do is register and put the pre-order code in and your in the beta?  If so I should be in game tonight.  My character, at least for now, willl be called Murgos.  If you see me on say hi.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 10:05:46 AM

Ok you fuckers- I think you sold me. If I go get a pre-order, can I still get in since it is after the 7th? What is the release day for this bad boy?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 10:10:15 AM

Well my pusher phoned me with the key from the pre-order box he got for me and within 10 minutes I was downloading the client (30 mins to go).  So it looks pretty good that if you pick up a box now you can be playing right away.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 10:38:14 AM

Guess I have a trip to Best Buy coming up for lunch.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 12:20:17 PM

I have no idea about getting the pre-order box post-April 7th. I assume you would get let in immediately, but damned if I know.

One other thing I've noticed. Asshat names not only do not bother me in this game, I laugh my ass off at them. Fun examples:

Short (about 4 foot tall) guy in a green jacket, green derby, with a red goatee. Name: Leprekhan.

Normal-sized white man, white bell-bottomed karate-style pants with a red stripe up the sides and stars, bare chest with a gigantic red E on his chest, sideburns, a pompadour haircut and fat sunglasses. Name: Karate Elvis.

Gigantic tanker male, wearing a black T-shirt with a big red bug skull on it, red antennae, red bug eyes and chomping on a cigar. Name: The Weevil.

Of course, you have the usual "Blow Me" and others of that like, but the funny ones outnumber the dumbass ones.

DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 12:28:55 PM

Sidekick system rox your sox. I teamed with a level 12 guy the other night as I was level 5 and i was fighting at lvl 10 equivalent. This allowed me to play with a much higher group and didnt either gimp them or me and when you break the tie  or get out of range you start fighting at lvl 5 again. It rocked.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 02:40:15 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
I have no idea about getting the pre-order box post-April 7th. I assume you would get let in immediately, but damned if I know.

I got in about 2 hours of play time this afternoon.  Bought the box at 12, registered at 12:30 was playing by 2.

I lied my char name isn't Murgos is now... The Green Dwarf.  Only a level 2 tanker but I'm having a blast.

Guess I'm going to pull an all nighter, err weekender.  See you monday.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 02:08:56 AM

As a fanboi of this game, who followed it for two years and noted that everytime it was brought up on Waterthread the general consensus was "Who cares? It's gonna suck", all I can say is that CoH is worth the wait. Also, it's nice to see that most of you other cynical bastards agree.

It is my honest opinion that it will be the yardstick by which every other mmog will be measured (assuming launch day isn't fubared). Imagine this: 1) an independent studio 2) creates an original game 3) in a new genre 4) without having a movie / IP licence as a base and 5) it is better than anything else on the market. How's that for being completely against mmog industry trends?

In fact, my biggest complaint is now the forums have gone to hell. Can't have it both ways I guess.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 06:57:20 AM

Yeah, no crafting in the game, but there is a barter sort of economy.

The extent of the crafting is this (already explained by devs outside NDA):

You have sockets for powers.  These sockets can accept enhancements that drop off mobs.  The type of enhancements you can use depends on your origin.  Basically allowing for some trade between players of different origins.  Up until about level 15, you are getting 'tutorial' enhancements that anyone can use.  There are a TON of different kinds, they all boost some aspect of the power.  Duration, damage, recharge time, range, area of effect, healing, speed, etc...

They are stackable, but you can't put two in one socket (with an exception below).  By stackable I mean if you have a fireball skill and you have two slots in it, you can put a level 4 damage and a level 7 damage to fill up the two slots and your power will be acting at a level of +11 damage.  So you can REALLY go crazy on one aspect of a power or another.  I have a HUGE damage fireball for instance and an UBER accurate flame blast for sniping and finishing baddies that try to flee.  Next up I am going to add a new socket to speed up its recharge so I can use it more often.

Adding sockets:
At certain levels you get extra sockets that you can assign.  There is a pattern to this, but I am sure that has not been given out.  Relatively early on they don't give you many sockets to start with, but it ramps up FAST and you will be filling up your favorite powers with sockets in no time.  I am lowly and my fireball has 5 sockets already.  Recharge, accuracy, and three damage boosters (muhahahaha).

Combining enhancements:
If you have a level 7 damage and a level 6 damage you can combine the smaller one into the larger one for a +1 boost.  So a 7+6=8  New math I tell ya.  The base can only be boosted twice though.  So instead of 8 they show it as 7+ to remind you it has one attached.  There is a chance of failure where you lose the enhancements.  Chance of failure is dependent on how separated they are.  The curve is not too steep, so your failures at low level will be darn rare.  At higher levels as the numbers get bigger, the gaps will also tend to be larger.  This is all there is for tradeskilling.  Nice easy wonderful interface that tells you exact chance of failure and all that good stuff.

FUN? Where does the fun come?

Fully triggered attacks.  Sure they are on a delay, but even at level 1 you will be using this power, then that, one, then the other, then the second again, then move in for the first, back off to use your third...  Later on you could literally NEVER stop attacking if you had endless endurance.  The attacks come back FAST as well.  A few seconds.  The more powerful the slower they come back, but you can enhance that problem...

Highly positional attacks.  Your position in a battle is more important than any mmog I have seen yet.  Sure daoc had side and back skills, but how fun is that?  In this one you have big AOEs, small aoes, direct fire that needs line of sight, seeking that don't need los.  You have cool cones of fire where your position can be the difference between useful and devastating.  They also have cool targeted effects.  My rain of fire is not area effect around mob targeted, but area effect around TARGET.  I can stick this thing up on a wall, or between me and the enemy, or behind them to cut off thier escape route...

Number of enemies.  No 5 people vs 1 stupid bug or chicken.  More like 1 person vs a gang of 5 even level thugs and kicking thier ass.  Even con does not mean "I might be able to beat him".  Even con means I can probably take out him and the goon squad he rode in with.  Groups have a good dynamic and become slaughterhouses.  Taking on groups 2-3 levels above me with just one other of same level is something done all the time.  But cons are just relative and that does not mean much.  The key is the name of the game is one vs many or many vs many.  Even the boss mobs have minions around them to get in the way.

Well, that is my rambling.  I still think movement is the most fun I have had yet.  GAH, can't wait till my superspeed.  My friend just got his version (steals speed from enemy) and he is a freaking BLURR.  Mine will be even faster, but have to get there.  Next level I get four sockets that I desperately want and I still have 3 missions to complete.  Darn work.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 09, 2004, 10:00:48 AM

Heheh one thing that I really like about it is that in missions especially with groups your whole team can feel heroic. It isn't 5 guys bashing one mob. It is  far more often 5 guys figthing and clawing agains 15 or 20 opponents. It can be dangerous as all heck to fight that many but your characters are heros and they can survive it if you work as a team.

My super group I often am with originally started in eq mode the pull and punch. This is handy in some areas if the ammount of opponents are really nasty or if you only have a couple and you want to thin the herd a bit but it is not neccessary. Once we did a few missions like that at a slow pace on the next mission I went hey guys lets try this and I just walked into a room and threw doen an area effect ice rain power. Everybody just lept into action and after a couple minutes we came out on top going wow that was fun lets keep doing that.

So from then on aside from some specific enemies we do group vs group/horde fights as it is very doable and much much more exciting.

Basically the game is designed for any hero to beat 3 even level minions or 6 or so lower level minions at a time, 1lt and a couple white minions or a boss mob. Bosses are nasty and getting nastier they have many of the same super hero powers as the heros do so it can get very brutal.

Kaid
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 09, 2004, 11:42:51 AM

Yeah, and you can't stick them in geometry either.  Leap over a fence, run around a few buildings and climb up another and the baddie will follow you right up.

You are faster than them, so you can run away because they will give up eventually, but you cant easily pooch their pathing.

Like I said once before.  We were on one rooftop looking over another and summoned one guy from a group of three (teleport other).  We fought and killed and and turned back to get another, but they were gone... a few seconds later the two thugs climb off the fire escape and start attacking.  Our fire escape didn't even tough the ground.  You had to jump to get to it.  That is about the best pathing I have ever seen.  And this is a MMOG.  I thought we were told you could not do that with the kind of loads a server is under?  I know I bought into that fib.  And this was wednesday, when the server was being CRUSHED.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 04:02:10 PM

Rooftop battles just own. Missions, especially instanced missions where you zone into areas are the bomb. Dark Dryad (uber cool summon ho), schild, myself and Slack took on a zombie mission in the sewers last night and it rocked. I think I died like 8 or 9 times at least and didn't give a shit. You should always be fighting multiple opponents. We'd have died less with a slightly different mix of powers or if myself and The Jurist had been higher than level 5.

You actually CAN set a power to be your "auto-attack," which I assume goes off if you don't choose any other power. I don't use it, though. I like the involvement having to trigger powers gives me.

Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 09, 2004, 04:04:30 PM

I can't wait to get in on this tonight.  I'm picking up my pre-order box from EB in just a little bit.
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: April 09, 2004, 04:29:47 PM

ARRRGGH! Goddamn I want to play this thing. MSN is going to get a box full of excrement for Easter.

Shurijo

Email
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2004, 09:08:08 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
You are faster than them, so you can run away because they will give up eventually, but you cant easily pooch their pathing.

Not all of them give up. If get on a gang's "hit list" or finish a mission, they will chase you right through a dozen players just to get a shot at you. These hit squads are pretty brutal if you are solo.

http://www.coh.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43725
Quote from: NC Soft Producer

Statesman’s Hit List for the First Update:

Opening Up New Levels of Gameplay - At launch, the levels will be "capped" at 40, but not too long after our update we'll start opening up the higher level content for levels 40-50, with new Enhancements, missions, story-arcs, and more.

New Areas - There have been rumors flying around recently about the mysterious Portal Corporation and the top secret "Project Looking Glass" - this is something that will have a big impact for both the game background and gameplay. In addition, a Rikti base ship has been brought down, and heroes are needed to explore the site.

New Villain Groups - The mysterious Malta Group, the macabre Carnival of Shadows, and the immensely powerful Praetorians have appeared on the scene!

New Trials - These are the repeatable, epic tasks that groups of heroes can undertake for a special reward.

Tailor - Players gain the ability to change their costume for an Influence cost - and, there will be more to this system…

Mission Interactivity - One of the most-often heard issues we had from our early testers was a desire to do "more" in the missions - and we have listened. A number of new features are coming to make new, cool things to make your missions unique. One example for the 5th Column - if heroes are defeated in some bases, they'll wake up in a cell instead of a comfy hospital! The hero will need to knockdown the cell door, overcome the guards and find his way back to his teammates. Plus, you never know what kind of allies you can make in the 5th Column jails…and that's just a tease of several features we'll be adding into the mission sets, and will continue to add after the update.

I really like the fact that myself or a team member could get captured during a mission and have to escape and join back with the team. Thats really awesome and a lot better than running back from the hospital.
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 09, 2004, 09:47:39 PM

I will say this for CoH so far.  That had to be the most trouble I had figuring out what account/password I was supposed to use for what that I've ever experienced.

It didn't help that I was exhausted, but god damn.  I think I have 14 different usernames/passwords and kept using the wrong one for the wrong thing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: April 09, 2004, 11:30:39 PM

Yeah, the whole Play NC thing is a big pain in the ass. I'm hoping billing is not quite so goddamn annoying.

But that first update sounds awesome. Getting captured in missions is one hell of a cool way to change the dynamics of just dying and running back in.

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: April 10, 2004, 12:27:37 AM

Short update on what I think of the game:

First of all grouping with the f13 people is fucking great, even if Signe can't pick out a costume.

The first time I played it i was worried about a certain lack of depth. But now that I've played a controller and 2 different types of scrappers, I'm no longer worried. Something ultra-obvious occurred to me.

Cryptic Entertainment has done something no other company has even been nearly able to do. They are going to launch a stable game, with balanced powers, content, items, and missions at the BASE level. Quite literally there has been no nerfs since I started playing in this beta about a month ago. If the insanely creative dev team can keep up taht level of stability, it has nowhere to go but up. While the strategy may seem sort of base now, it will only get more and more complex.

Some of the mission design and concepts, seem dry at first (even though grouped combat makes them ALL better). They are all better than any other mission other games have to offer, and if they tack on steps or different legs, they can only get better. I can not WAIT to see how CE handles epic quests.

There are 5 things I am looking forward to post launch now:

1. Supergroup Headquarters and Joe's Fortress of Solitude

2. Capes/coats that sway and little particle effect emotes/clothing. If I want fireworks, give me fireworks damnit!

3. Picking up a lamppost and swatting a citizen. (This is pie in the sky, but it should be noted if they implement interactable environment, this is the first thing I want on their list).

4. Street Clothes and the Hero bar/grill. Every super hero has a 3rd set of street clothes. We should get them too. Then I want to go hang out at a superhero cafe like the Tick used to. Easy to implement. Fucking do it.

5. Just the announcement of a timeframe in which they want to implement pvp. So I know what level to aim for by it's introduction when I'll have to start playing Pennywise the Dancing Clown: Eater of Worlds and Small Children.

Right now I'm sound as a pound. The low and mid level content has been great. I know nothing about the high level content and can't wait to hear about someone going to Founders' Falls and Eve (among other places).

More to come tomorrow.
CassandraR
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 10, 2004, 03:26:27 AM

Im enjoying it a good bit. Playing an assault rifle blaster myself. I cannot resist soldier girl characters at all. I abolutely love the costume system also. I got on some very nice looking armour.
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 11, 2004, 08:35:19 AM

My only real gripe so far is that my main Atlas contact just gave me a new ocntact who will not give me any missions until level 5.  I just hit level 4 and was enjoying leveling via the result of completing missions as opposed to running around trying to find random groups of thugs.

But hey, I can't complain too much.  I'm in love with the whole idea of this game so far.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #31 on: April 11, 2004, 09:29:32 AM

I will say I'm having the hardest time sticking with my characters, I get them to about lvl 3/4 and then start a new one.  Shit, the only way that I could even get through the character creation was to hit random a hundred times then edit the costume of one I liked.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #32 on: April 11, 2004, 10:59:42 AM

Quote from: MrHat
I will say I'm having the hardest time sticking with my characters, I get them to about lvl 3/4 and then start a new one.  Shit, the only way that I could even get through the character creation was to hit random a hundred times then edit the costume of one I liked.

I was doing that also, but then I figured, might as well just play one, and get ideas for new costumes/powers from people in game. I mean, this is still beta, so if we play retail, gona have to roll a new guy in two weeks any how.

P.S. Can any one PM me how to get to the beta forums?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #33 on: April 11, 2004, 05:41:28 PM

Does anyone know if they're going to do like L2 and let final beta phase character go live?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: April 11, 2004, 05:46:13 PM

Preorder people get 3 days before live to start. It will be the greatest catass man has ever witnessed.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: City of Heroes Episode I: A New Hope  
Jump to: