Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: OMG LASERS PEW PEW (Wizard Thread) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OMG LASERS PEW PEW (Wizard Thread)  (Read 52244 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #140 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56:59 AM

I've also learned something about our group: We hate kiting. They play me like a quarterback, make a little bubble of safety from which I have just enough time to hurl out my entire pool of arcane energy in blizzard/disintegrate.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: June 09, 2012, 08:29:00 AM

OK. I decided to keep track of some stats as I ran my wizard solo through Act 1 Hell. It was tedious, so I won't do it again, but here are the stats.

Parameters: I cleared out each map.
I fled from one elite pack, since they were kicking my ass very quickly, and I wasn't even making a dent in them. Aside from that, I killed everything I saw.
I picked up and sold white loot.
Incidentally, of the blue and yellow loot that I found, I didn't find anything that was an upgrade, or that looked like good AH bait, so I vendored all of that too.

Net gold: 243519.
Repairs: 8110.
Deaths (approximate, based on discrete repair costs): 18.
Radiant Gems: 33
Square Gems: 9
Perfect Square Gems: 3
Jewelcrafting Tomes: 43
Blacksmithing Tomes: 38

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 10, 2012, 01:56:12 PM

So been grinding act 1 and occasionally act 2 inferno for a few weeks now, I am at the point where I want to progress more.  What kind of build will get me farthest and what minimum stats should I be shooting for to get into ACT 3 and beyond solo?

Currently I am at almost 25k dps, 55k health, 2.8k armor, 350+ resist all, thinking I need to trade in some of my MF (117%) for resistance? 

I am trying out a fairly defensive set of passive skills (Blur, Galvanizing Ward & Temporal Flux) and energy armor boosts my resists all up over 550 and 4.6k armor.  Any suggestions on what to shoot for stat wise or more survivable builds?
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #143 on: July 10, 2012, 06:10:21 PM

55k sounds like too much hp, I think you need more dps but I'm not sure I can help you so much since I usually run with others and a solo build Wizard is very different to one with meat shields.

My general play Wizard is:

Magic Weapon - Knockback
Teleport - Mirror images
Hydra - Poison
Energy Armour - Hp life thingy

Glass Cannon
Cold Blooded
Extra Arcane power and regen one

Blizzard - reduced arcane cost - Primary Left mouse
Disintegrate - Autotracking - Secondary Right mouse

I could probably change passives and move disintegrate out but it feels strange to have a Wizard without Disintegrate

I'm 28k-30k hp
350-400ish resist
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 16, 2012, 11:49:29 AM

Sorry if it's been mentioned already. Has anyone tried out a critical mass build lately? I've been having some fun with it. Really nice to not have to kite stuff.
Blackluck
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 16, 2012, 12:58:29 PM

Sorry if it's been mentioned already. Has anyone tried out a critical mass build lately? I've been having some fun with it. Really nice to not have to kite stuff.

I did it initially with a helm of command and a shield; I ditched the shield and helm for a source and wizard hat with AP on crit. More damage, fewer deaths. Some elite combos can still be pretty brutal though.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:37 PM

I've been trying a critical mass build, but I think I need more crit.   Ohhhhh, I see.

It sort of works, but only in Act 1 Inferno.  I think I need a much sturdier build for Act 2.
Blackluck
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 16, 2012, 01:09:56 PM

You'll notice the difference once you get over 30ish crit. You need crit on items that can have it - source, helm, gloves, bracers. I elected for +crit damage rings and an emerald in my weapon, as getting rings with both crit chance and crit damage are either impossible to find or impossibly expensive on the GAH. You'll also need some combiniaton of life on hit and life regen. Around 1k regen with marginal/no LoH makes Act II doable (not necessarily farm-able though)  assuming you can get resists (buffed) to 600+.
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 16, 2012, 02:48:27 PM

I was able to pick up a pair of rings with crit chance and life on hit. that along with a gem in my weapon gave me about 1000 LoH for pretty cheap. Sittin at about 25k dps, 20k hp, 45% crit, 1000 loh, around 4000 armor and 500 resists. Can farm act2 usually but there are still times where I'll get a nasty elite combo that rocks my world.

I hit 90k dps with my regular gear and was still having to kite so figured I'd try something new.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 16, 2012, 04:14:10 PM

Hmm maybe I'll try to build some LoH, currently I can farm the early part of Act II but still having issues putting oasis and beyond into farm status.  35k dps/57k health.  I recently have have my buffed resists in the 700+ range but haven't moved back to act 2 yet to try that out.

Really not sure I want to do the whole MF gear swapping dance, been kinda waiting for a blizz patch on that but I suppose if I do then the prices on Act 2 gear will drop as well.
Ralence
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:02 AM

You can run a crit mass build with pretty much nothing for dps.  I cleared all of inferno at about 16k dps.  No matter what you'll get the crappy elites that will kick your ass.  I run at 30% crit, and about 400ish resist all, and about 1000LoH.  I agree LoH is huge, since you will get hit, but with huge groups of mobs, the healing way outpaces the damage in between stunlocking them.  Only things I really struggle with are the fast/runaway types, since you can't keep them grouped up.

I've messed with tons of variations, but my favorite is;

Spectral Blades / Deep Cuts
Twister / Wicked Wind
Diamond Skin / Crystal Shell
Frost Nova / Deep Freeze
Explosive Blast / Chain Reaction

Blur
Evocation
Critical Mass

You can swap out Spectral Blades for Energy Armor / Prismatic if you need to bump resists up, lot more efficient than trying to gear up to 800-900 resall.

I don't think there is ever a point where farming anything but act1 is actually efficient.  Warriors Rest nets me almost a rare/minute, it's boring, but I don't die, and I can watch tv while I'm running it.  And at that pace, it's way better than anything even with 5 NV stacks.  I'm sure it's going to get wacked with the next wave of "game limit restrictions", but for now, I'm using it as much as I can.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 02, 2013, 06:40:24 AM

Ok, New Question :

How do you play a wizard ? 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 02, 2013, 06:54:06 AM

You do the opposite from playing a barb.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: July 02, 2013, 07:09:59 AM

Archon Wizard is probably the easiest way to play.  Play on a low to mid MP depending on your gear and you kill fast enough to keep Archon up forever.

You can also play CM, which is more powerful but requires better gear generally speaking.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #154 on: July 02, 2013, 07:13:57 AM

Funny this thread comes back just as I fired up the game again and thought, you know... a wizard might be fun to try.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 02, 2013, 07:39:51 AM

Except, you don't really.  Since you can't really control them and end up toe to toe anyway.  The Witch Doctor works for that, but I can't get the hang of the wizard at all and I'm BORED with him again because I have no idea how he's 'supposed' to play. 

Also, a wizard isn't fun to try.  I'm having fun with Monk, Barb and WD.  Wizard is down at the bottom for fun.  Hell, even trying to figure out WTF the Demon Hunter is all about is more fun than this shit. 

(Though dropping a meteor on people is fun until you run outta mana.)

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 02, 2013, 07:41:53 AM

Here is my wizard gear and build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Longshot-1489/hero/1624432

I know that I could use some gear improvements, but better pieces require either hundreds of millions of gold and or weeks constantly refreshing the AH to find gear that some sucker under priced.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:44:14 AM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 02, 2013, 08:06:41 AM

Almost all those skills are 'Oh Noes, they're on me.'

This is what I'm talking about.  I'd rather play a different class if it's just hitting them with arcane up close.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:45 AM

This is what I'm talking about.  I'd rather play a different class if it's just hitting them with arcane up close.

Less "oh noes, they're on me" and more teleport into a big group and assplode everything.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #159 on: July 02, 2013, 08:56:06 AM

Less "oh noes, they're on me" and more teleport into a big group and assplode everything.

Do you use macros or is your left hand super painful right now?

That was my complaint about CM, had to smash 1-2-3 ever .5s.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #160 on: July 02, 2013, 09:15:41 AM

When I was playing Wizard the game play was "drop a hydra, run the fuck around it until it killed things or Archon was up.  Then ARCANE SMASH.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #161 on: July 02, 2013, 11:04:05 AM

I'm probably doing it wrong, but I would hydra/blizzard/disintegrate.  I think my main attack is chain lightning.  I hear that poison hydra is no longer the best one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #162 on: July 02, 2013, 02:17:27 PM

I never understood the love of poison hydra. I found lightning hydra much better because while poison had better dps, you had to get them to stand in those clouds, which meant standing still yourself.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 02, 2013, 03:05:51 PM

You can find some pretty in-depth guides on the CM/WW (Critical Mass/Wicked Wind) Wizard build if you google it.

Though, as MrHat points out, you have to furiously mash buttons when you use it. I don't mind, but I can see how it would be annoying.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: July 02, 2013, 05:38:43 PM

Except, you don't really.  Since you can't really control them and end up toe to toe anyway. 

No no, if you're toe to toe you die. That's why instead of running to mob and smashing, you run away run away run away.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 03, 2013, 02:12:56 AM

Running and kiting isn't fun.

It just isn't.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: July 03, 2013, 04:17:45 AM

You're a wimpy little mage, what else would you do?

(I'd say that maybe the class isn't for you, but then you're still playing a game you seem to hate, so... keep at it and wallow in the misery!)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: July 03, 2013, 04:20:33 AM

why so serious?

for the Mage, I would have expected a lot more 'keep 'em at bay and hit 'em at range' than therre is.  I was just wondering if I was missing something.

I love the Witch Doctor, so I suspect that's the casting class for me.  But I've hit 60 with nice gear, so turning my attentions to those I haven't levelled yet.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: July 03, 2013, 07:23:42 AM

So you don't like the Wiz being up close, and you don't want to kite to keep them at distance? Okay then...Head scratch 

Really, there are plenty of tools to keep distance. Blizzard, Wave of Force, Ray of Frost, Ice Nova, Slow Time, and Ice Armor there are plenty of tools to keep enemies away, but yes movement is required why so serious?

I'm with Lant, this isn't the class for you.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #169 on: July 03, 2013, 08:30:38 AM

I never understood the love of poison hydra. I found lightning hydra much better because while poison had better dps, you had to get them to stand in those clouds, which meant standing still yourself.

You'll want to slow their movement, not necessarily stand still yourself.  So blizzard.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 03, 2013, 10:50:06 AM

So you don't like the Wiz being up close, and you don't want to kite to keep them at distance? Okay then...Head scratch 

Really, there are plenty of tools to keep distance. Blizzard, Wave of Force, Ray of Frost, Ice Nova, Slow Time, and Ice Armor there are plenty of tools to keep enemies away, but yes movement is required why so serious?

I'm with Lant, this isn't the class for you.

Actually, what I was after was kinda the information you just provided.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #171 on: July 03, 2013, 11:06:52 AM

This isn't the class you're looking for <handwave>

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 03, 2013, 11:17:38 AM

Well, no probably not.

But I've done 3 of them and the Demon Hunter fucks with my head worse.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #173 on: July 03, 2013, 06:36:29 PM

IIRC They're also movement, just erratic, crazy-pants movement rather than a steady retreat.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #174 on: July 03, 2013, 07:06:49 PM

If what's selling on the AH is any indication, they are also wildly unpopular.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: OMG LASERS PEW PEW (Wizard Thread)  
Jump to: