Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Quick Questions Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 44103 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 04:02:17 PM

What's the point of Diablo 3?
To hear the sound of a ring dropping.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03:03 PM

For non-melee's does weapon damage matter?  Currently I toss poison spiders at enemies- would getting a sword that returns life make my spell do that?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 04:15:04 PM

For non-melee's does weapon damage matter?  Currently I toss poison spiders at enemies- would getting a sword that returns life make my spell do that?

Yes. On my wizard I have a magic spear that does extra cold damage, and drains life. This happens on spell hits.
Magic Missile (with advanced tooltip) tells me that it does 110% weapon damage as arcane.
So unless that's totally misleading, your weapon damage does matter.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:21 PM

Yes. On my wizard I have a magic spear that does extra cold damage, and drains life. This happens on spell hits.
Magic Missile (with advanced tooltip) tells me that it does 110% weapon damage as arcane.
So unless that's totally misleading, your weapon damage does matter.

Yes, I noticed that too and it made me wonder.
Does that mean we can expect to see wizards wielding huge 2-hand axes and bows, as long as the stats on them are better than 'generic wand x'?

Will it be 'this is a hunter weapon' all over again?  ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 05:57:49 PM

My wizard has a 14dps wand and an orb that adds to damage.  So yes, you can wield a hvy crossbow, but it probably won't have the stats the wizard needs AND it's 2-handed which means you lose your orb.

So a wand and xbow both have 14dps but the wizard can also equip an orb for bonus damage.

Edit:  Orbs always give a damage bonus.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 06:11:22 PM

Here are way too many words on weapons and wizards:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3424908246
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 08:15:53 PM

Wow, co-op drops freaking rock.

Got my ass kicked by skeleton king, so jumped into one.  At a glance seemed like double gold drop and blues RAINED.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:41 PM

Wow, co-op drops freaking rock.

Got my ass kicked by skeleton king, so jumped into one.  At a glance seemed like double gold drop and blues RAINED.

Yes, it's a huge difference, isn't it? I usually like to play through on my own first and then group up but I think I'll do it backwards instead.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 08:59:04 PM

So, how do I find out what my battle.net name is or whatever its called?  Is it on my account page somewhere?

Edit: Never mind, found it.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:26 PM

Will it be 'this is a hunter weapon' all over again?  ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Wouldn't that be impossible, what with only seeing your own loot drops and all?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 04:55:25 AM

Don't feel like startinbg a thread just for this and I don't know where to put my (temporary) disappointment. I am loving the game, but I gotta say that the loot-bonanza isn't nearly as fun as I remembered from 12 years ago. Worse, it's not even nearly as fun as it was in the first few days of Hellgate: London. That loot was fun. This is weirdly underwhelming so far. I got ONE yellow in ten levels. One. Not fun.

EDIT: THE LACK OF THE RING SOUND (which I didn't realize was missing until I read the other thread) IS NOT HELPING.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:57:29 AM by Falconeer »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #46 on: May 16, 2012, 05:14:05 AM

I'm seeing yellows more often than that.  Are you playing by yourself or with a group?  Groups are more fun, more monsters, and more loot as far as I can tell.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #47 on: May 16, 2012, 05:20:44 AM

Constantly grouped with my partner. We got to level 10, killed the Skeleton King, only got one yellow out of him and that was it. I am not complaining about the game in general, but I have these fond feelings about a much more colourful looting experience. Maybe it's really just H:L that spoiled me and overwrote the D2 memories.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 05:22:16 AM

If you're not grouped you're doing it wrong.

I was against this before. Vehemently.   However, D3 reinforces this with loot frequency and the ease of dropping in & out of groups. Also, while monster difficulty ramps up you are able to survive better in a group than you can solo. (Particularly my squishy wizard ass)

I grouped-up with Ragnoros and his friend last night and it was a blast.  We went from the last 1/4 of the 1st act (level 11) to the last 3 quests in ActII (level 22) and I had at least 9 yellow drops that I can remember.

I know they were getting more than me (or perhaps just more useful drops) because when I'd inspect them they were in 3-5 pieces of yellow gear at all times.  So I wouldn't say yellow drops are infrequent at all.

ed: Oh, Falc.  Yeah level 10 on normal? Don't sweat it. You probably didn't realize it took you until level ~5 to get that first blue item, too.  The SK is meant to be your first yellow. They drop more frequently after that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 16, 2012, 05:44:57 AM

Yeah, group of 4 all night ended up with 3 yellow/2blue off first SK kill, then about 2 more yellow from 8 until 15. Though according to my group's bragging I was on the low end of how many yellows I had all night.

RNG is RNG
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #50 on: May 16, 2012, 05:48:10 AM

Is there a good understanding of what parties of disparate level characters do to difficulty, xp, etc?

I've mostly grouped with people within 1-2 levels of my character, but it doesn't seem like there's a limit -- if the level range is much greater 5? 10? etc what if anything is impacted?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 16, 2012, 06:12:02 AM

Barrels and chests and environmental interactables don't show up when pressing ALT.  Is there some setting I've missed?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #52 on: May 16, 2012, 06:14:20 AM

On the subject of the in-game chat:

- Is it possible to create chat tabs instead of switching between channels in a single tab?

- Is it possible to create custom channels? It would be nice to have a #f13us and a #f13eu :)

Answering my own questions after a quick research: no to both. Hopefully they'll improve the chat system a bit :(

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:20 AM

I want to say that if you hit "V" you'll see enemy hit point bars like in WoW. Was that just some fever dream or can anyone verify that while I'm at work?

It's a toggle in the options as well.  I don't know if it's keybound.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #54 on: May 16, 2012, 06:41:28 AM

Is there a good understanding of what parties of disparate level characters do to difficulty, xp, etc?

I've mostly grouped with people within 1-2 levels of my character, but it doesn't seem like there's a limit -- if the level range is much greater 5? 10? etc what if anything is impacted?

There's no limit to grouping.  It's just a question of "why would you do that, since they'll die if they get hit."   No leveling cockblocks, since it'll even-out as they approach your level anyway.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 16, 2012, 06:51:19 AM

Does anyone know how % weapon damage stuff works?  Is it based off the dps or the weapons damage?  Does the attack speed of the weapon matter at all?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
WayAbvPar

Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 08:23:56 AM

Yeah, group of 4 all night ended up with 3 yellow/2blue off first SK kill, then about 2 more yellow from 8 until 15. Though according to my group's bragging I was on the low end of how many yellows I had all night.

RNG is RNG

I have killed the Skeleton King three or four times so far and have nary a yellow to show for it. I have decided to take this personally.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 08:31:00 AM

I have killed the Skeleton King three or four times so far and have nary a yellow to show for it. I have decided to take this personally.

Duo'd him this morning, got two yellow drops.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #58 on: May 16, 2012, 08:42:34 AM

You just made my list, sister.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 08:46:01 AM

How does grouping work with friends?  Do you automagically skip to the furthest portion of the story quest?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 08:49:57 AM

You just made my list, sister.

I soloed him and got two.  An orb thing my wizard could use and a WD thing that I plan on giving to the WD I make tonight when I get home. awesome, for real
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:51:35 AM by Ginaz »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 08:50:57 AM

How does grouping work with friends?  Do you automagically skip to the furthest portion of the story quest?

I believe you do have to go back through the story yourself when you do it solo.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 08:55:32 AM

As far as I can tell, everyone joins into someone else's game at whatever point the originator is at. You can also choose which quest to work on from the menu before joining, but that will be more for specialized runs after everyone has seen the story first.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 08:56:58 AM

Yep, quest/Act is determined by host.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:15 AM

Does gear on Followers effect player stats?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 16, 2012, 09:53:07 AM

You inherit gold and magic find from your followers. I think you get something like 20-25% of their total. No other stats as far as I can tell.

Also, followrs don't seem to be able to benefit from the extra health from globes stat. There ma be others too.

Has anyone had any blacksmithing/jewelcrafting recipes drop for them? Or any item above rare?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:55:09 AM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #66 on: May 16, 2012, 11:59:18 AM

RNG is RNG

As well you should, I've killed him about that many times now and have gotten a yellow every time.

Now I will never get a yellow again.

God Save the Horn Players
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 16, 2012, 12:02:39 PM

For me for D2 it was the twitch gameplay and the loot. If you weren't wearing out or breaking your mouse in D2 on a regular basis you were doing it wrong. This is the thing all the other Diablo "clones" get wrong -- they don't have enough monsters on the screen at once to wade through* I've only played D3 for an hour so I have no idea if it has the same clickfest at the highest difficulty that D2 has but that's what I'm hoping for. And the loot.

* Torchlight I never played at the highest difficulty so I don't know if has the same D2-style combat

I got a record of killing 40 monsters with one spell last night without realising, so yes - they definitely put a lot more on screen that other games, and having some sort of room clearing ability is handy for those situations.
Drai
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 16, 2012, 12:24:59 PM

I checked the Auction House to quickly see the tiers of rarity and their colours. White --> Blue --> Yellow --> Orange? Really? That's it? And where's the original beloved green? Unless everything that is part of a set is bind on pickup, there's no colour for sets. Any more info on this?

I think they ended up only having lore items (e.g., Cain's journals) be green.  There are still supposed to be item sets, but they will colored orange along with stand alone legendaries.

I am glad they still have sets, but I loved seeing a bright green item drop in DII, even with all of the problems of most armor sets.  This along with the rumors of no ring ping sound mad me a slightly sad panda despite loving the hell out of the game so far.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #69 on: May 16, 2012, 12:30:59 PM

When do you get followers?  I had some dude ask me if he could follow in Book 1- I told him to pack sand for fear he would steal my shiny drops and XP.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Quick Questions Thread  
Jump to: