Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:55:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: $99 Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle launching next week with two-year subscription 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: $99 Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle launching next week with two-year subscription  (Read 3024 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

on: May 02, 2012, 08:23:38 AM

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/2/2993600/99-xbox-360-kinect-subsidized-bundle

I expected the next generation to employ this model. Interesting if this catches on. Will depend a LOT on their marketing.

beer geek.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:53:28 AM

The push is really on away from the console wars an into the home entertainment hub wars which also includes Apple.

ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:57 AM

Is this the alternative to price drops? Yikes.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:13:50 AM

I see it as mostly testing the waters for a company to launch a new console that costs a lot of money to manufacture but at a low initial price to avoid sticker shock. I can imagine hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people buying a $100 Xbox 3 with a $30 per month fee and a two-year contract because they think it saves them money over the long run when in reality Microsoft just sold them a $500 console for $800.

It also has the convenient side effect of getting people who pay into this to pay the full Microsoft price for a Live subscription, which a nontrivial amount of people don't due to the frequent sales on Live Gold cards places like Gamestop run.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:20:16 AM by koro »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 02:46:01 AM

The push is really on away from the console wars an into the home entertainment hub wars which also includes Apple.

Yep... There's money to be made if you can be the dominant digital "faucet" into the living rooms of the US. And because it's all proprietary and exclusive content deals, plus lots of people only buying one hub system, there's probably going to be a winner and they'll make huge money and gain a monopoly position.

Not being in the US, having a TV or a console I'll ignore it other than hoping they fail and future media isn't balkanized in the process (I'm sometimes a natural optimist).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:31:32 PM

beer geek.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 07:34:29 PM

Freewheel is more useless than Nielsen, but ok.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:01:45 PM

Can't speak to the data, but the Xbox is...convienent. It's right there, already hooked up to my TV. The Kinect does what I tell it to. Watching Netflix is as easy as playing a game.

My more tinkery friends put together dedicated media boxes that scour the net for the movies and TV they want, and they can program it from their phone and all sorts of shit. But 99.9% of the world doesn't want to go to all that hassle, and unlike AppleTV or an iPad or whatever -- the Xbox is already hooked up to your TV if you have one. It's right there. Probably already hooked to the internet.

It requires pretty much zero work to turn it a media box if you already own it and have a Gold sub. I can't imagine Microsoft NOT trying to turn that into a cash cow.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:48:40 PM

Another reason for them to do "always online" authentication. Makes sure the xbox will be internet connected.

That said if I did have a TV I'd have a media PC hooked up to it. The step after achieving monopoly through exclusive content is screwing the customers.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:08:38 AM

I WISH the XBox had an app for watching FoxSoccer2Go.com matches, because if they did, I'd get rid of the media PC I have hooked up to my TV. The XBox is just so much more convenient.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: $99 Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle launching next week with two-year subscription  
Jump to: