Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Character creation discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Character creation discussion  (Read 47923 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:04 AM

I was a bit let down by the character creator. The number of hairstyles seemed fairly limited. Seems like the Norn had more interesting styles than humans. Bit confused why they were not common between both races.

Eye color seemed off too.

Other than that I was pretty happy.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:23 AM

You know there was several pages of hairstyles right? it took me until my third character until i noticed that.

I am the .00000001428%
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:41:34 AM

My main complaint would be about half of the human female face-presets and almost all of the body-types felt a tad too creepy, like Korean MMO style creepy  my what do we have here?.
Armour colours were also stuck between tasteless and fugly, but I gather more open up after you find 'em/open your wallet?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:51:07 AM

You know there was several pages of hairstyles right? it took me until my third character until i noticed that.

Yea. Two pages or so. Same with skin colors and hair colors.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:06:41 PM

You need more than 20 something hair styles?
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:16:45 PM

Charr character creation is pretty darn cool. But yeah you're starting armour is some of the most blech I've seen in an MMO. Oh well, here's hoping it get replaced quick like.

Edit: f off iPhone auto correct.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:22:32 PM by Ashamanchill »

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:19:00 PM

The caster starting armor is.. bleh. It's mostly throwbacks to GW1, which had some pretty terrible cloth armor sets.

Guardian armor+++++++++++. Saw a lady guardian who was actually wearing ARMOR that looked like she was planning on getting into a FIGHT! Naturally when out of that starting armor I presume she switches to a thong or something for the high end content.

edit: from hunting, it was just a tall human lady: http://i.imgur.com/wQR44.jpg

That thief armor. :( Why are you nonsensical!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:22:02 PM by kildorn »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:55 PM

GW1 had a nice mix of fully-armored and bare-midriff type stuff.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:25:36 PM

The warrior starting armour was all brown and boring. It looked kinda like real armour I guess, which, given the fact that I was making a giant snarling cat monster with all the settings cranked to max, was so not what I was looking for.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:56 PM

You know you can change your armor colors at-will, yes?  Even during character creation.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 12:30:48 PM

Wandering around the cities you get to see a lot of players.  I'm not too concerned about the armor variety, I saw some pretty cool looking stuff.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 12:44:44 PM

You know you can change your armor colors at-will, yes?  Even during character creation.

Which is awesome.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:22 PM

When 15 are pageboy styles...kinda.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:07:00 PM

I was kinda sad there was not random button.  I don't want a vanilla same as everybody else character but I also don't want to spend a lot of time fiddling with sliders.  With random I just hit it till I hit something I like and move on.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:52 PM

The caster starting armor is.. bleh. It's mostly throwbacks to GW1, which had some pretty terrible cloth armor sets.

Guardian armor+++++++++++. Saw a lady guardian who was actually wearing ARMOR that looked like she was planning on getting into a FIGHT! Naturally when out of that starting armor I presume she switches to a thong or something for the high end content.

The only armor that really makes me eyeroll is the plate bustier the warrior's wearing.  I really dig the guardian's plate, the gothic lolita of the necro, and the leather trenchcoat the engineer's wearing.  The mesmer, elementalist, and thief aren't really supposed to be taking punches in the first place, so I can see some value in dressing to distract morons with cleavage; it's not like the cloth was going to absorb a sword stab in the first place.  But the warrior really doesn't have any excuse for how many vital areas aren't covered by her armor.  And the hunter's just kinda boring.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 02:33:53 PM

To be fair retarded non-armor armor is just GW's thing. Such has it always been.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:35 PM

Most of their retarded non-armor went to the caster-types, if I remember right. Most of the Should Be Wearing Armor Classes at least tried, and when it was goofy ALL I'M WEARING ARE TATTOOS type crap, the dude's armor was just about as silly, only obviously designed for dudes. Like I would be surprised if that one armored lady with the metal bustier or whatever didn't have her male counterpart looking more Conan-y than not.

That said, I suspect most/all of my casters are going to be dudes or just not played at all.

God Save the Horn Players
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:01 PM

how do the seeds work?

"Me am play gods"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:56 PM

Warrior armor was mostly solid armor in GW1, with one off barbarian sets for people who liked em. I appreciated that you could pretty much wear any set you liked the look of, and they all had the same sets. I have not gotten far enough in GW2 to know if that continues.

Mesmer armor took a bit of a dive in that they appear to just be wearing elementalist armor and dipping it in purple. I'm hoping that changes. And the masks. God, the masks.  ACK!

Bring back preca.. old mesmer masks!
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:16 PM

how do the seeds work?
I know of two ways. You can either take them to a dye maker (there was one in my home instance in Divinity's Reach) who will tell you to come back in 24 hours to collect your dye. Or you can use some magical plant food (I think that's what it was called at least), which is a cash shop item and use that with the seed to get your dye instantly.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 03:02:42 PM

Warrior armor was mostly solid armor in GW1, with one off barbarian sets for people who liked em. I appreciated that you could pretty much wear any set you liked the look of, and they all had the same sets. I have not gotten far enough in GW2 to know if that continues.

Mesmer armor took a bit of a dive in that they appear to just be wearing elementalist armor and dipping it in purple. I'm hoping that changes. And the masks. God, the masks.  ACK!

I loved my starting mask, the one i got a few levels later looked like ass.

I am the .00000001428%
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 04:06:36 PM

They get points for not sticking boobs on female Charr, but they lose points for lingerie Necromancers have to start with.

Also, for some reason my Ranger started with an absurdly tiny head compared to the really long and thick giraffe neck she had.  No, I didn't touch the head size slider during creation.  I left that in the middle on all 4 characters I made and the head/neck thing was only noticeable on the Ranger.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:08:48 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 05:04:18 PM

I loved my starting mask, the one i got a few levels later looked like ass.

Apparently there are transmutation stones available that let you stick the stats from one piece of armor onto the model of another of the same type.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 06:13:37 PM

Which at higher levels are cash-shop purchases :/

I didn't mind the hair-cuts, it was enough. The long hair animates amusingly when the rifle recoils so pretty much for that reason alone I'll have a human rifle-lady (probably warrior so I can avoid pets). I'm pretty sure the warrior armor isn't what you see on the selection picture, it's the plain and sensible chainmail. Which is good because the norn guardian class selection armor is more like worn sculpture than something either sensible or sexy.You also have a "city clothes" set which is a bit odd in the defaults but clearly intended to be supplemented through the cash-shop.

The body type selection was a bit odd. I found the default female models very "hippy" but you can't change that. Instead you have to pick a preset many of which look oddly imbalanced or just over-all anemic. But having seen how the Aion body sliders were abused, and the fact no-one really notices fine-detail on the model, I can live with it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:10:09 AM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 10:49:20 PM

I adore the female engineer suit so hard that I'm probably gonna make one just to run around steampunked out in a leather trench and flamethrower.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 11:03:18 PM

To be fair retarded non-armor armor is just GW's thing. Such has it always been.
Pretty much. My GW1 main was a female elementalist, and the GW1 rule for their armor was 'less is more'... or rather 'barely anything is more'.  awesome, for real Ditto with the monk / necro obsession with "nekkid except for weird tattoo designs" (though to be fair there were some monk/necro armors that actually covered skin).

My GW2 elementalist's armor actually looks a lot more reasonable than my GW1 ele's ever did...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:31:37 PM by Zetor »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 01:22:56 PM

I adore the female engineer suit so hard that I'm probably gonna make one just to run around steampunked out in a leather trench and flamethrower.

Ha, the engineer vaulted to second place to try for me for pretty much the exact same reason.

The monk outfits in GW1 were almost all perfectly fine, it was just that ONE "all I need are my tats, man" outfit. That lots of people wore, of course. It also had a dude version that was pretty much as nekkid, so that was alright. My necromancer was perfectly well clothed throughout her (admittedly brief) career, nothing like that pretty terrible starter outfit.

Elementalists were always terrible though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:25:16 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:16 PM

When 15 are pageboy styles...kinda.

Yeah, I was surprised at all the choices, and NONE of them with hair drawn back pony tail style for human male. It screamed anime more than anything.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:21:54 PM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 06:13:03 PM

It screamed anime more than anything.

Divinity's Reach is right out of Grenado Espada with the wide plazas and stalls. AN is part of NCSoft and they have every intention of selling this into the Korean market.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 03:34:35 PM

It screamed anime more than anything.

Divinity's Reach is right out of Grenado Espada with the wide plazas and stalls. AN is part of NCSoft and they have every intention of selling this into the Korean market.

Oh, I fully expected its style to be what it is due to AN's corporate legacy and their market strategy.

The hair styles just lept out, because I couldn't pick the kind I wanted.

Architecture, creatures, landscapes influence is often tell-tale, but usually they just plain look good from anyone's standpoint. It's the funny hair and eyes on Asian-oriented games that always cracks me up as really different.

But in-game my attention was mostly drawn to the Asure gates look and sounds; the Stargate-meets-DAoC intersection made me smile.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 03:14:22 AM

I'm a bit down on GW2 class/looks. I can guess some but others are a mystery... the one that looks like a GW1 Ranger is an Engineer?
The girl in the green Lolita party frock is a Necromancer, I'm guessing... but the girl in the tight black leathers to her right could be either a Rogue OR a GW1 Necro.
So who's the girl to the left? My first guess was Engineer but it could be Rogue... (incidentally I like this look the most; ambiguous for a change).

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 05:29:44 AM

Green party frock is necro. Thief on her left, ranger on right in case you are actually asking.

And the armor isn't what you actually start out with. Not sure if it's high end armor or just idealized. The rogue bandit hat, leather long-coat and two pistols I actually got looked fantastic and just screamed out "Highway robber".

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 07:42:12 AM

Elementalist, Engineer, Guardian, Mesmer

Thief, Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior

These are the 'fancy' class armors to show off the characters.  You don't start with these.  From what I have seen, there are three beginning lines for each weight.  There are several weapons styles, so maybe there are more armors, too.  (GW2 wiki probably has tons of info.)

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 08:29:57 AM

My mesmers starting armor was pretty damn fancy.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 08:37:56 AM

My mesmers starting armor was pretty damn fancy.

I believe mesmer/elementalist/necromancer all start off with the same gear with the exception of the head slot.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Character creation discussion  
Jump to: