Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:46:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Project Glass ( Google ) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Project Glass ( Google )  (Read 18640 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 21, 2013, 07:50:55 PM

How about a cheap-er version?

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html

(Looks like it did go open source as mentioned in the video: http://code.google.com/p/sixthsense/)

- Viin
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 22, 2013, 05:45:42 AM

I'm looking forward to a new career as a decker.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #72 on: May 14, 2014, 03:25:35 AM

Google Glass now entered what they call an "open beta". Glass are now available to everyone ('til the product is out of stock) as long as they're over 18 U.S. residents:

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleGlass/posts/QLD88fE7qmE

https://www.google.com/glass/start/how-to-get-one/

Oh yeah, the price: $1500

Pay to "win"!!!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #73 on: May 14, 2014, 10:08:33 AM

I actually like the concept.  $1500 is too steep; I'm in the ~$200 camp.  It also needs to be thinner.

I find the gnashing of teeth over this thing interesting, especially the 'glasshole' term.  Some iteration of wearable computing will be the norm in 10 years and having it right at eye level with no hands needed seems like the right way to do it.  Current cell phones do more, yet people are scared to shit over this thing invading privacy. 

People are funny animals.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #74 on: May 14, 2014, 10:50:17 AM

I actually like the concept.  $1500 is too steep; I'm in the ~$200 camp.  It also needs to be thinner.

I find the gnashing of teeth over this thing interesting, especially the 'glasshole' term.  Some iteration of wearable computing will be the norm in 10 years and having it right at eye level with no hands needed seems like the right way to do it.  Current cell phones do more, yet people are scared to shit over this thing invading privacy. 

Yeah, Glass is way too high-ticket, but there are some others coming out in the $250-500 range that look very good (some of which are better integrated with frames for prescription lenses for us Luddites that don't want our corneas blasted with lasers).  A lot of the 'glasshole' stuff stems from the way Google has promoted this, almost specifically looking for people who would be as insufferable as possible about having them.

People are vaguely uncomfortable with the reality that they are on-camera nearly all the time while out of their homes (or in them, f they have XBox), and this is a comparatively safe way to push back against the inevitable.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #75 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:34 AM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #76 on: May 14, 2014, 11:00:59 AM

It's more obvious when someone with a smart phone is filming you.

Also the screen nature of the thing DOES provide a psychological barrier where people delve in to much more narcissistic modes. You're not insulting a water, you're watching a TV show where you're the clever hero.  You have the blog & video diaries to prove it. Those are the glassholes and each one documented has deserved the term.

People aren't socially caught up to smartphones and just using those they can lock themselves away into a fantasy world of echo chambers and personal hero fantasy.  It's only going to get more difficult from here.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 14, 2014, 01:19:26 PM

I suspect I'd use it differently than it's intended for.  Personally, I'd use it to leverage information around me.  Where are things?  What is that?  Access information.  References.

Things I don't care to do:  Blog or take videos, except maybe something about my kid being cute.  I don't want to share it with the world, though.  I have no desire to use it 'socially'.  Rather, I want a wearable computer to interact with my surroundings more efficiently. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 14, 2014, 01:38:51 PM

I suspect I'd use it differently than it's intended for.  Personally, I'd use it to leverage information around me.  Where are things?  What is that?  Access information.  References.

Things I don't care to do:  Blog or take videos, except maybe something about my kid being cute.  I don't want to share it with the world, though.  I have no desire to use it 'socially'.  Rather, I want a wearable computer to interact with my surroundings more efficiently. 
This. I want a HUD with more info IRL. The price still has a ways to come down too, and I need to be able to get them in prescription.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #79 on: May 14, 2014, 02:04:34 PM

I approve of the new term "glasshole" mostly because it sounds great.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #80 on: May 14, 2014, 02:14:17 PM

It's an officially sanctioned term too (scroll to bottom):

https://sites.google.com/site/glasscomms/glass-explorers
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 14, 2014, 04:14:19 PM

I suspect I'd use it differently than it's intended for.  Personally, I'd use it to leverage information around me.  Where are things?  What is that?  Access information.  References.

Things I don't care to do:  Blog or take videos, except maybe something about my kid being cute.  I don't want to share it with the world, though.  I have no desire to use it 'socially'.  Rather, I want a wearable computer to interact with my surroundings more efficiently.  
This. I want a HUD with more info IRL. The price still has a ways to come down too, and I need to be able to get them in prescription.

Same here, I would use it exclusively as a HUD for any info about my surroundings (sightseeing, POIs, fiancée enemy location, ammo left, etc.). Not interested about videos or social sharing.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 14, 2014, 05:06:15 PM

Unfortunately, I've heard it's pretty worthless for augmented reality purposes so far.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #83 on: May 14, 2014, 08:55:30 PM

The battery life needs to be much, much, much longer before this is anything but a conversation-starting toy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 15, 2014, 01:00:29 AM

before this is anything but a conversation-stopping toy.

FIFY

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 15, 2014, 02:35:47 AM

The main purpose of Glass is to make it easy to quickly identify douches.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #86 on: May 15, 2014, 05:49:58 AM

Unfortunately, I've heard it's pretty worthless for augmented reality purposes so far.

For now.  Eventually this is what happens:

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:26 AM

Like I said in another message on this topic: "I always asked for this"  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 15, 2014, 09:56:17 AM

Aside: Duff is/was a pretty cool guy. Sponsored my little league baseball team for one or two years
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #89 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:09 AM

The display technology is not at all optimal for AR -- you get a reasonably sharp display in the upper right of your field of vision in your right eye -- you sort of have to glance up and to the right to read it. (Thus, for anyone who's worried that they'll never know if a Glass user is not paying attention to them, no fear, it's quite obvious both from the loss of eye contact and from the fact that you can see the display light up through the backside of the optics assembly).

In addition to sufficient battery life for more serious "always on" use, I think you'd want display technology that can drop annotations anywhere in your field of view for "true" AR applications.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #90 on: May 17, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

It'd also need to track your eye movements in order to overlay information onto what you were actually seeing.  Or be directly in/on the eye (i.e. contact lens or some kind of implant).  We're still a little ways off from Rainbows End.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 19, 2014, 04:27:48 AM

How are we on the Jarvis Hud ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #92 on: May 19, 2014, 08:03:50 AM

NDA

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #93 on: May 19, 2014, 11:39:37 PM

I'm still really skeptical of gesture-in-the-air interfaces -- lack of useful tactile feedback is really limiting.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #94 on: May 20, 2014, 02:09:49 PM

I'm still really skeptical of gesture-in-the-air interfaces -- lack of useful tactile feedback is really limiting.

Yeah. Something like a sign language interpreter is far more likely than magical menus that you can use your hands on without being some kind of master mime, and at that point, how much convenience are you actually gaining?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #95 on: May 20, 2014, 02:27:00 PM

The funny thing is that people want to make air keyboards but forget that interfaces drive design.  Please see Console v PC.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #96 on: May 20, 2014, 07:27:47 PM

But.. but... but it's so cool in all the sci-fi movies!  why so serious?

I'm just happy to see there's people 'round my way of thinking about them.  Last few times its come up I recall more were defensive of the idea.  I still think we'll find a more intuitive interface than keyboard and mouse, but it's not hovering or laser keyboards.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 25, 2014, 04:25:22 AM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 25, 2014, 10:31:30 AM

I have no problem that one person had a negative experience and left a poor review of her experience.  For her, she had a terrible experience at the restaurant and it is only fair that she let others know of her experience.

The problem is that Google's ratings system doesn't consider that most reviewers didn't actually eat there.  That's a faulty review system and it invalidates Google's ratings to decide on restaurants. 

Quality ratings systems require content moderation.  Also, any article with the term 'glasshole' in the title is clickbait.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 25, 2014, 11:14:01 AM

Why is someone politely asking you to remove Google Glass because it makes other customers uneasy a "terrible experience"?

Just remove the glasses you entitled fuck.

She didn't have a terrible experience. She didn't have any experience. She threw a tantrum and left before experiencing anything because she refused to stop making patrons uncomfortable. This is like giving a movie theater a bad review because they asked you to not text during the movie.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: May 25, 2014, 11:50:59 AM

At least her review is her own, misguided opinion. Getting her glasshole friends to also give negative reviews is just a dick move.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #101 on: May 27, 2014, 06:17:27 AM

Did any of you actually read the article? I'd paste the exact text of the girls post, but they didn't transcribe it - almost as if they new it was such a non-thing they didn't want me to be able to cut and paste it.

Seriously, she made a post that stated she was asked to remove them because other customers expressed privacy concerns in the past, so she left. Then she stated that that has never happened to her before. Nothing more, no mighty call to arms, or angry rant, no comment on the restaurant at all. Yes, its pathetic that her followers then 1 starred a place they never ate at, but trying to say this blogger "incited" that reaction is a bit much.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #102 on: May 27, 2014, 06:26:47 AM

Her actual review says "Got denied service a Sunday afternoon for wearing Google Glass."  Based on the article, she wasn't actually denied anything, just asked to take the glasses off.  I get the feeling that she probably could have refused to take the Glass off and that would have been the end of it, rather than walking out.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #103 on: May 27, 2014, 06:45:09 AM

Did any of you actually read the article? I'd paste the exact text of the girls post, but they didn't transcribe it - almost as if they new it was such a non-thing they didn't want me to be able to cut and paste it.

Seriously, she made a post that stated she was asked to remove them because other customers expressed privacy concerns in the past, so she left. Then she stated that that has never happened to her before. Nothing more, no mighty call to arms, or angry rant, no comment on the restaurant at all. Yes, its pathetic that her followers then 1 starred a place they never ate at, but trying to say this blogger "incited" that reaction is a bit much.

And yet the restaurant itself has cameras mounted on the wall.

And really this just calls into question the ratings system for restaurants, not the establishment itself. I never rely on yelp or any of those things because trolls are everywhere and can knock down ratings on a whim. Kinda like the reviews on shopping sites. They can be helpful, but not reliable.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Project Glass ( Google )  
Jump to: