Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:03:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Total Recall (2012) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total Recall (2012)  (Read 11042 times)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:38 PM

I caught this last night, I would probably think it was a good movie if it wasn't a remake of total recall.  They used 80% of the original plot/scenes, but the 20% they left out was what made the original awesome.
Wait for the bluray, you'll thank me, unless you want to see 2 seconds of tri-boob on the big screen.

No mars, no alien tech, and the "we won!" ending doesn't really feel like a win.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 12:29:28 AM

Having never read the short, was the Mars / Alien tech in the original story?  Or was that an adaption made for the first movie?  Because it would make sense if they were sticking closer to the source material (if said source material did not include mars et al).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 07:19:25 AM

Having never read the short, was the Mars / Alien tech in the original story?  Or was that an adaption made for the first movie?  Because it would make sense if they were sticking closer to the source material (if said source material did not include mars et al).
No, there was none of that in the original short story.  But keep in mind it was a short story, and a rather quirky comedic one at that.  You couldn't actually make a full movie just following the source material, which is why both movies are about 90% made up stuff added to the source material.

Meh, will probably wait to see this on DVD, unless I get bored or dragged along by friends.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 10:46:31 PM

Having never read the short, was the Mars / Alien tech in the original story?  Or was that an adaption made for the first movie?  Because it would make sense if they were sticking closer to the source material (if said source material did not include mars et al).

The 2012 version is a remake of the 1990 movie script (total remake?  why so serious?), if they are sticking to anything in the original short story - I am not seeing it.

I have begun to totally appreciate how much better the original 1990 version is compared to the 2012 version.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:59:50 PM by Ubvman »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 07:20:36 AM

Well, the 2012 version removes Mars altogether, but at least that was in the original story in a different manner.   Everything in 2012 happens only on earth.

Neither have the ultimate twist that was in the short story. Though the 1990 was a much cooler lady-or-the-tiger ending than what I'm reading about the 2012 version.

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~cavitch/pdf-library/Dick_Wholesale.pdf

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 07:24:17 AM

Seriously ?  I'm now going to have 'Dick Wholesale' in my internet history ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Total Recall (2012)  
Jump to: