Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:33:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: 1.8: Yes, we're still here... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.8: Yes, we're still here...  (Read 39711 times)
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 03:22:18 PM

I never thought I'd say these words, but the fishing is actually pretty fun. I've hated it in every other MMO, but the Rift implementation is pretty good.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 12:53:17 PM

They did a small patch yesterday that added nameplates to the game. Nice addition I wasn't expecting and as usual their UI team nailed it.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 01:51:11 PM

The name plates really are very nice.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 04:58:08 AM

I don't see name-plates being able to save this game, but it's the thought that counts, I guess  Ohhhhh, I see. why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 07:34:36 PM

Re-subbed and tried out their soul templates.  Pretty cool.  Dipped my toes in Ember Isle and got punked, no fun.  Lots of changes (what happened to all the artifacts?) but the blandness is intact.  Really like the relaxed players and the easy grouping.  Dislike all the weird loot that I'm not sure what to do with. "Someone in town might like this."  Uh ok, helpful.

I'd like to see a companion like in SWTOR that at least goes out and gathers mats from lower tier areas.  The LFD system is great.  So's the guild finder, some really nice additions there.

The game is pretty boring solo, but actually fun in a group or even with a partner.  That's the strength of MMO's to me. 

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 10:55:01 PM

Ember Island seems balanced for people in full dungeon gear realistically, but the soul you're using makes a big difference too. Artifacts are still in the game, so I'm not sure what you meant by that. Lots of quest/activities give what are essentially badges for dungeon/raid gear, so I'm guessing that's what you were seeing there.

The easiest way to gear up fast is to run a couple experts and fill out your remaining slots with gear you get from Plaques of Achievement. It seems like they collect really fast, so you should be able to buy a new piece of gear after every 2 dungeons or so.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 04:04:46 PM

Thanks for the info.  I guess I went to EI too soon.  Having fun with the soul templates, I think they did a great job there.  I healed a group in Darkening Deeps(?) and had no problems, a fun run.   Got three blue upgrades and no one bitched about my rolling Need there. 

Mages seem underpowered, my Dark Thane warrior soul seems to do more damage, kills stuff quicker.  Even the Priest dps spec knocked shit out fast. 

But it's still boring to solo, guess I'll need to find a guild and hit instances more.  That's pretty fun and fairly stress-free.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 10:09:52 PM

So I went to the Rift site on impulse after reading up on the expansion and got 3 free days just by resetting my password... figured this was a good time to check out where the game's at. I'm actually considering resubbing.  ACK!

I cancelled a year ago, so my gear's all blues and an epic or two from the death invasion event + some t2 expert dungeons (there don't seem to be tiers anymore?). The forums are surprisingly unhelpful when it comes to healer builds *not* for pvp or for high-end raiding (or dungeons when the cleric outgears them by 3-4 tiers), so I went with my old 34/32 puri/sent build and it seemed to work ok in that new dungeon they added in normal mode... man, healing in RIFT is a whole lot more complex than I remember. I think I like it! Time to dash my confidence in expert dungeons. I wonder if a wow-style LFR is in the works, or are you just supposed to do the 1-2man 'chronicle' raids if you're not in a raid guild?

I tried out instant adventures in Stillmoor, and it was pretty cool. It really reminds me of GW2, only a bit more directed (and only for 2-3 zones currently). It looks like they're extending it for more levels (and adding mentoring!) which is all kinds of awesome.

Is crafting gear (and not just consumables) worthwhile if you run rifts/IAs/dungeons, but don't raid? My main has maxed artifice, my alt has maxed runecrafting/outfitter fwiw.

(didn't bother with pvp... I'm figuring it's clownshoes with the huge gear disparity, which is getting levelled a bit with 1.9)

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 09:12:18 AM

Puri sent is the way to go for entry expert healing. You have good through put, decent aoe with surging flames and direct AoE heals and good CDs when necessary. There are some interesting -icar healing builds, but I have never tried them for instance healing. You still need to macro for mouseover healing though.

The crafted stuff that came out with HK late last summer is good stuff, equivalent to GSB/RoS stuff, particularly the weapons and rings. Mat costs are still kind of heavy due to the CDs and the vendor materials. The new upgradeable planar conqueor gear is also really good. It can use the GSB/RoS synergy crystals. But it takes a crap ton of inscribed crystals.

On the progression scheme, I believe the chronicles are slightly below experts. There are the new raid weeklies for the T1 raids, 1 10 man and 1 20 man. They are both easily pugable, though it's a good idea to read up on the fights. The GP and RoS weekly groups ususally end once the quests are done. The DH and GSB generally clear because you are almost done by that point.

PvP is hit or miss. There is a tiering system to hopefully match gear levels, but the population seems to be a tad low other than the weekend to really support it. With the new mercenary system, they seem to err on the side of getting any games going. They did remove the level requirements on armor and jewelry, so you can grind out the top level stuff from the beginning, but with the way things go, you hit each tier about when you used to naturally.

On another front, I want to complain about the new raid. Mechanic wise, it's interesting and fun for the first four bosses I have seen, but good lord is it tightly tuned. You can't really carry anyone past the first boss and damn if Ituziel and his over developed ass isn't annoying. Hitting the enrage timer means you need all of your DPS comfortably over 3k and several pushing 4k. Ranged rogues are the only ones that seem to do this easily. The top mage spec is some cracked out monkey dot mess and we only have two people that can get appropriate numbers out of it. There are disconnects every 20 seconds borking warriors. The good cleric spec is currently melee so suffers the same disconnect problem.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:19:21 AM by dd0029 »
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 02:12:39 PM

Good info, thanks! Yeah, looks like that ol' 34/32 still has some life left in it. I kinda miss my old dungeon healing spec [something like 51 sentinel with 11 inquisitor for purge + aggressive renewal and the rest in purifier], but that one's missing a lot of oh-crap buttons. Speaking of purge, have people gotten better about dispelling shit and/or have boss self-buffs been toned down?

Also tested my old 38/20/10-ish inq/cabalist build, it didn't age too well. Still effs zergs up in rifts and stuff, but the damage isn't all there (compared to my champion/riftblade alt in greens/blues). Will probably just keep a fully ranged dps spec, numbers be damned... if I want to hit people with a 2-hander, I can play my champ. My server (Faeblight... my guild moved there when our old server got trialified) seems to have a good number of pugs going all the time, and the instant adventure thing's been a success as well. Only two problems I've encountered so far is 1] rezzing on way-the-fuck-other-side of the map of Ember Isle (I died in the NE section and rezzed in the SW... ended up saying 'fuck this' and took the spirit healer debuff) 2] some of the 'end events' in adventure event chains are really not doable without a healer (mr. spam-lightning-aoe-at-40-yards insect, I'm looking at YOU!). Of course these two things aren't an issue when I'm playing as a healer 'cos incoming damage isn't really too bad at all... as long as there's someone pushing the green bars up. I liked how I could stand by one of the healing wells in town on my warrior and get enough passive healing to hold my own against an invasion, though.

Re pvp, most of the reason I'm holding out is because there's going to be a big pvp gear price drop in 1.9... may as well keep my stockpiled 100k honor/valor/whatever points until then! Besides, that patch has 3-sided pvp, which as we all know, Solves All Problems With PVP Instantaneously.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:14:38 PM by Zetor »

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 03:36:13 PM

The EI rez thing is all sorts of fucked up. The extra special annoying thing is that healers aren't conveniently near to heal up. Though I suppose that it's EI with planar thingees all around, so there's no reason not to bust out a medic. Note, that 9 planar charges is really nice and fairly cheap PA wise so there's no reason not to have them.

For the last stage in an Instant Adventure, most of them are planar monsters so you god mode that shit up with Holy Champion/Fury of the Ascended/Whatever it is that bad guys call it. That's also how you handle fully upgraded onslaught locations when the elite invasions show up. If things get too hectic, let the invasions take out a turret or healing well and the elites will stop spawning.

For the souls, they really did seem to go all in on 51 pts for DPS.  51 inquisitor for the bullshit in PvP Nasyr's Rebuke is nice and it leaves 10 points for Justicar and DoL +5 somewhere else useful.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: 1.8: Yes, we're still here...  
Jump to: