Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Kerbal Space Program! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program!  (Read 76855 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 05:28:57 PM

Head scratch
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 09:44:48 PM

I... Yeah. Well, you saw it first.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 02:26:41 AM

I need to frame that post and put it on a wall in my room.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:38:50 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
meteorite 101
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 08:34:21 AM

i wan't that mod  awesome, for real
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 09:42:46 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 09:58:16 AM

If you feed them they'll never go away!

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
meteorite 101
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 12:15:08 PM

dose any body have IFE's orion pack, Nova's probodobodyne v0.6 and Nova's Se2 alpha 2 kit
so I can down load it but I don't wan't a the download links to come from the KSP officail forum
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:23:22 PM by meteorite 101 »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 03:39:40 PM

I'm a bit baffled as to why you want to avoid the official KSP forums.  At the moment they're the best place to find mods for the game. 
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 07:43:09 AM

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 07:51:08 AM

I don't really like the spaceplane stuff. The physics engine doesn't really simulate flight sim-y things well due to overly simplistic drag. If you do try a spaceplane, some things to remember:

You're going to be very confused as to why your flaps only snap in at 90 degrees. You can (and now must, for flaps) rotate parts during placement with WSDFQE buttons.
The 'sensor' nosecone is the ASAS for planes
Center of gravity is really important. If you are having a lot of trouble steering in flight, your wings are in the wrong place, try moving them forward or back.
The plane pivots on the rear wheels to turn; they have to be in the center / center of gravity of the plane. If you can't get the nose up or turn the plane on the runway, this is probably why. Alternately, try a taildragger (two wheels in front at the wings, one in back)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 01:06:02 AM

Yeah, I've never been one to muck around with the C7 pack before, and I've only done some cursory stuff with the spaceplane stuff now. I did find that I could tack on some simple outboard scramjets on radial decouplers and leave them running until about 20km or so. Saves me about half a tank of fuel on my central main lift stage, overall.

The inclined-orbit moon is nice. Takes a bit more work to actually rendezvous with it, even though the dV difference isn't very large.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:07 AM

I actually got there first try by eyeballing it; I got into a circular orbit, then burned sideways to precess my orbit, lining up with the new mun. Fast forward a bit, waited until I was at the right-ish angle for the transfer, burned as normal, then retro'd to a pretty much dead stop. Did course corrections (burned directly towards it) to get into the ROI, Landing was easy as it had almost no gravity.

I failed to get back, because I couldn't figure out where/how to burn. :(
Yoru

Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 02:07:06 PM

Yeah, my first time involved two accidental slingshots past the regular moon and then crashing on the surface due to lack of fuel.

Now I just wait until the longitude of the ascending or descending node is opposite where I am in a circularized orbit, then burn until apoapsis is slightly farther out than the target orbit. Accelerate to apoapsis and burn along the appropriate orbital normal to match planes, circularize and correct as needed by going into a slightly higher orbit in order to achieve rendezvous.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 30, 2012, 01:09:08 PM

I decided to cough up the money for the Alpha of this since I enjoyed messing around with it so much about 6-8 months ago, and worst case, I would be supporting their wacky game which I found pretty fun back then.

Man, there is a LOT of new stuff since I played it last:

- Planes (which I cannot fly worth a damn)
- New planets (I am never going to reach one)
- Different gradations of atmosphere (seems much more harder to orbit now, though I may be out of practice)
- Persistent debris/spacecrafts (god I hope I don't run into something by accident, I have a LOT of junk up there now from failed orbits, but I refuse to End Flight to delete them, it's part of the fun)
- the little Kerbals can GET OUT for spacewalks and planetwalks  (awesome, for real)
- fuel pipes, larger rocket parts - actually, a ton of different other random parts I haven't figured out yet.

My current monstrosity pictured below.  It needs the ground clamp support things to avoid collapsing on the pad (it actually has two sets, on two different stages, or it collapses at the midpoint if only the bottom stage is clamped). Also, once it is flying, if I throttle up too fast, the bottom stage plows right into the top stage, destroying everything in one massive fiery explosion.  The finest Kerbal engineering!  It flies pretty straight despite being as aerodynamic as a brick, and I can reliably orbit now and I THINK I have enough fuel to get to the moon once I remember how the hell to play.

Yoru

Reply #49 on: September 30, 2012, 01:18:38 PM

ACK!

I've gotten things half the size to other planets. Been to three out of four now; two unassisted, one using the Protractor mod to measure my phase angle as Jool's orbit is so long that I don't have the patience to dick around with apses to get an intercept.

My model is basically:

Lander - NERVA transfer stage - Liquid Orbital Stage - Liquid/Solid Launch Stage

The orbital stage is a trio of gimballing liquid engines mounted with 2x liquid tanks, the launch stage stacks off horizontally from that - four trios of droppable tanks, three of which have large solids underneath them. Touch off two solids initially, touch off the third just before they go dead, touch off the liquids halfway through the third solid at low throttle, gently throttling up as the solid burns out. Then drop tanks as they become empty.

That gets me to a comfortable 100-150km circular orbit, waiting for final phase angle alignment and then a massive ejection burn. The triple-liquids burn out somewhere around halfway to escape, then the NERVA fires up and handles ejection, course correction, planar alignment, arrival retro-burn and most of the descent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 30, 2012, 02:26:16 PM

When do you start tilting over for orbit these days?  I used to do that around 20k but with the new atmosphere stuff that seems really inefficient with the drag.  Yet I feel like if I blast straight up to 100k I am burning a ton of fuel and haven't added anything to my sideways velocity.
Yoru

Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 12:08:06 AM

When do you start tilting over for orbit these days?  I used to do that around 20k but with the new atmosphere stuff that seems really inefficient with the drag.  Yet I feel like if I blast straight up to 100k I am burning a ton of fuel and haven't added anything to my sideways velocity.

I begin with a very gentle tilt shortly after 10-12km to about 80 degrees. I let this slowly fade downwards so that I'm tilting 45 degrees by 30-35km. By 60km I want to be going at about 10 degrees, and when I break 70km I cut the engines until apoapsis, then circularize near/at apoapsis.

Firing straight up to 100km then sideways is massively inefficient, but not much worse than tilting too fast too early.

Needless to say, that's all for eastward launches, to save the 300m/s or so you get from rotational velocity.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 04:09:15 PM

Welp, I got TO the moon.  Unfortunately I started the deceleration burn a little too late (was descending to the surface, landing gear ready, and hit the gas to slow for landing around 7000 meters), and the Kerbalnaut ended up a red smear on the surface (which turned out to NOT be at 0, whoops).    Next time!

It's hard enough for me to hit the moon, stuff like this seems insane: http://youtu.be/0aCmykWOtjU

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 01:03:48 AM

VICTORY

I hope they enjoy it there, I don't have enough fuel to get them home.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 02:40:26 AM

I hope they enjoy it there, I don't have enough fuel to get them home.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Clearly your next task is to launch a rescue mission with a second command capsule so they can return safely.
Yoru

Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 02:46:53 AM

I got a craft to Moho last night. Everything was going great, I was 10km off the surface, engine heat was manageable, velocity wasn't too high.

Turns out Moho's atmosphere is hot enough to spontaneously combust random rocket parts, like fuel tanks.

On the bright side, they probably didn't feel much as the little dudes crashed into the near-molten surface at 100m/s while their capsule was immolated by the boiling-hot atmosphere.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 08:38:51 AM

There was a 1 1/2 hr Q&A with the community manager last night on the goon public mumble, I'm sure someone will post the recording or transcripts somewhere on the internet, but there was also a BS session afterwards where we were just chatting, and I got additional info that probably won't be in the chat. I didn't take notes but here's what I sortof remember. Note that he couldn't talk about 2013 roadmaps, career mode specifics, anything related to steam steam or anything else that hasn't been authorized by the company to release or anything disclosed elsewhere. Still, there was plenty of good info and lots of "yes, we'd like to see that". There were also answers to specific questions like fuel tank balancing and several 'that won't happen, sorry'. I have no idea if this info is elsewhere, and of course it's all subject to change at anyone's whim. A lot of this is still in the 'idea' stage.

* Right now they are working on getting used to their new scrum+sprint system after the migration of the code base (which is 17k lines plus 200k of unity) from subversion->git. As far as updates, they're anticipating a multi-week (6ish?) sprint and then a consolidation/test phase. The devs really like the new system and it's a much more streamlined workflow.

* The first order of business is the migration of KSP to unity 4. Since unity 3.X is non-threaded, it only uses a single CPU core. Unity 4 is still non-threaded but can offload some stuff to the GPU so they anticipate performance improvements. They don't anticipate any problems porting, but obviously you never know until you start hitting roadblocks. This is expected to take a month or two so development of new features is kind of on hold in the first quarter-ish.

* The upcoming career mode is analogous to survival mode in minecraft; an open world but gated by resources. You will have a budget and periodically be offered missions which you can then decline or accept. An example was a communications company offering you a lump sum to put a satellite into orbit. On the lower difficulties, countries will bail you out and give you money if you go broke. On the higher, you're boned. They are also considering a 'hardcore mode' with all that entails. Satellites, telescopes and probes will play a prominent role because...

* At the start of the game, only a few basic planets will be visible and none of their moons. You will have to build telescopes to find them to get orbital information, send probes with scientific data to get a series of reports of valuable minerals and ores on the planets, which you will then need to build ships to and mine for money. There will be an in-game database which will gradually be populated as you send scientific gear to the planets which you will then reference to plan further missions.

* Each planet will have a specific 'super resource' that you will be unable to get anywhere else and will be used for parts that are just plain better in every way. Even in sandbox mode, these will act as progression gates for more advanced tech such as super-efficient engines and possibly FTL.

* FTL is being heavily considered, they do want to implement it but it's undecided which form of FTL it will take (gates, accelerators, warp drive, what not). There are also performance considerations and basic issues with how the game is internally structured that make it non-trivial to go faster than C without the physics engine crashing. THIS IS JUST MY SPECULATION: My personal bet is they'll be forced to use instantaneous teleportation-esque travel due physics problems with the unity engine. I suspect for gameplay and fun balance they'll have 1:1 gates that you'll use to go between planets and a really large, heavy, expensive FTL engine that you'll use to go to other stars with some sort of out-system 'jump point'. This is my speculation mostly because like traveling with ion engines, no one wants to sit in fast forward for 2 hours of real time waiting for shit to get places. Gates and nodes solve this issue pretty handily without having to put a FTL engine on every single ship and teleportation is fairly easy to implement in the unity engine.

* There will be the ability to launch ships from other bases and planets. He called it something specific so look at the transcripts, but it was a very generic name that implied that you can basically build not just from other bases but from stations and any other object. And that it was already partly coded (or at least accounted for).

* Additional resources will be added, such as food, water, air. These will be in that sort of generic, non-specific form and will act similar to fuel. Kerbals are an object like any other and will slowly consume the resources. There is a delicate balance between fun and challenge and thus will be considered carefully. This will be mostly needed for bases, stations and other long-term structures.

* They want to give the ability to plot and launch robotic or autonomous missions for probes, as well as plan overall missions that Kerbal pilots be able to execute (to the best of their ability) including launch, maneuver and landings. How exactly this is going to be implemented is still in discussion, but it's going to be a large part of career mode. They are very much against the MechJeb idea of a 'push button receive bacon' automated style takeoff and landing, but at the same time they want you to be able to build up a space empire and push farther and farther outwards with first telescopes, then probes, then manned missions in the pursuit of exploration and resources. To do this, you'll need a lot of ships moving materials back and forth and repeated hauling trips which they would like to automate in some fashion without making it too easy.

* With automated probes, you will 'locking in' the flight path at launch and if you didn't calculate the burns timing or whatever, tough luck. Communications relays were brought up in that they might allow you to upload new flight data mid-mission. You still won't be able to pilot them directly.

* Kerbals will have skills and be able to be trained and become better at general piloting, maneuvering, landing, stuff like that. This all builds into the mission planning system. You will be able to take direct control, but if you want to let Jeb do it, there's a chance he might push the wrong button and explode. Obviously you'll need to stick them in training for as long as possible so that your returning ore doesn't make a crater.

* They very much want to create an asteroid belt, and really like the idea of asteroid mining, but the performance issues of a thousand new bodies all with physics that need to be calculated are daunting. They are looking at ways around this problem.

* There will be achievements for things like first orbit, first landing on the mun, stuff like that. They like the idea of achievements and really want to add them. They also like the idea of sharing this with your friends or possibly even the world with a 'fastest time to X planet' type scoreboard.

* You will be able to do a lot more than repack parachutes outside your ship. There have been hundreds of 'Kerbals doing stuff' animations created over the past month or so that they can fit to tasks and so you will be able to do a lot outside your ship or station. They want to heavily increase this aspect of the game.

* Performance with 'unpacked' objects (those that are subject to the physics engine) remains lackluster but they see no real way around the problem. They understand that this affects large ships and stations and are trying to find ways around the engine limitation but they have no specifics on things like force-packing an object once it's assembled or any other workaround.

* They keep a close eye on mods and do look at integrating the functionality directly into the game. They won't ever integrate a mechjeb-like autopilot but they do want to provide people a lot more information about orbits using something similar to protractor.

* Due to engine functionality and coding difficulties, the ability to save parts of ships (such as a payload or launch stage) that you can add or plug into a ship during construction is not a high priority due to the coding time:payoff ratio.

* Multiplayer is something they would like to implement but due to the engine complications they estimate it'd take a FULL YEAR of doing nothing but multi to make it happen. This is obviously not going to happen this year but they talked about a sort of co-op mission system where one person plans the mission and the others are pilots.

* There are no plans to port KSP over to any other system, handheld or otherwise. Performance issues preclude it even on something like an XBOX or PS3. KSP is a PC game and will remain a PC game.

* They would like to add more story and flavor text to the game but there is no writer on staff nor do they have the funds to hire one. The same goes for voice acting, so all career-mode missions will be in text.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 06:58:11 PM

I finally ponied up some money to get the current build, and am rather lost at all the new parts. I used to be able to hit Mun orbit, but can't seem to do it now.  Head scratch

And I'm really looking forward to all the planned sandbox stuff!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 13, 2013, 12:41:13 AM

Thanks for sharing that, bhodi.  The only thing there that makes me sad is learning that managing rocket/payload combining/separation is not a priority.  Especially for things like putting a station together in orbit, having a lift vehicle that can easily be reused to launch multiple different payloads saves a lot of headache.  I guess this will remain the domain of third party plugins for now...
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 23, 2013, 12:10:51 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 23, 2013, 11:03:02 PM

Good for them!  They can hopefully invest more time in making the game even more hilariously awesome and less time working on their download/update infrastructure that would melt every time they pushed a new version of the client.  Where do I get my keys? ^^
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 28, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 29, 2013, 08:22:57 AM

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:24:36 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 04:52:29 PM

Version 0.22 just landed, with career mode, science, tech trees, reusable sub-assemblies, and other madness.

Big overhaul of the ground facilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orLHj_eJMOs
Amusing Science Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9eoD1ot0A

Changelist:
Code:
* Career Mode:
- Career Mode is now open! Although still very much under development, you can now start new Career saves.
- Sandbox mode, of course, is also available from the start.

* Research and Development:
- Added the Research & Development Facility to the Space Center.
- R&D allows players to unlock parts (and later other stuff) by researching nodes on the Tech Tree (In Career Mode).

* Science:
- Researching requires Science, which must be earned by performing experiments during your missions.
- You can now collect surface samples while on EVA, and process them to do Science.
- Science experiments return results, which are different for each situation in which the experiment is performed.
- Experiments can (as all proper experiments must) be repeated over many different situations across the whole Solar System.
- Added a new dialog to show the results of experiments when reviewing the collected data.
- Added a new dialog to show a breakdown of all scientific progress made after recovering a mission.

* Parts:
- Added new scientific parts, like the Materials Bay and the Mystery Goo™ Canister. Also added experiments to many existing parts.
- The old science sensors now have a purpose. They all have their own experiments which enable them to log scientific data.
- The antennas are now functional, and can be used to transmit science data back to Kerbin, if recovering the physical experiments is not an option.
- Antennas consume massive amounts of power when transmitting. Make sure you have fresh batteries in.
- Added a new deployable antenna, which is an intermediate model compared to the two original ones.
- Completely remodelled the Communotron 88-88 Comms Dish. The new mesh uses the same placement rules so it won't break ships that have it.
- Nose Cones now actually help with improving stability during atmospheric flight.
- Revised a lot of part values and descriptions, in preparation for them actually meaning something in the near future.
- Overhauled the landing legs and gears, they now have proper shock-absorbing suspensions.

* Editor:
- Added a system to allow saving and loading of Sub-Assemblies.
- Subassemblies are subsets of spacecraft, which can later be attached to other designs and re-used.

* Space Center:
- The KSC Facilities have all been revised, and feature new ground meshes and many other graphical improvements.
- Greatly improved the Island Airfield.
- Added lighting FX to several facilities. The Runway (among many other things) is now properly lit at night.
- Added a new backdrop and soundtrack for the Astronaut Complex Facility.
- Added a new music track for the R&D Facility.

* Flight:
- It is now possible to recover a flight after landing/splashdown on Kerbin without going through the Tracking Station. Look above the Altimeter.
- The SAS system was again largely overhauled, based on all the feedback we've gotten from everyone. It's now stabler than ever.

* Solar System:
- Celestial Bodies now support Biome Maps, which are used to create different conditions for experiments.
- Biomes are currently implemented on Kerbin and on the Mun, more will be added on later updates.

* Launcher:
- We've got a new launcher application for KSP, featuring a news bulletin, patcher management, and also allows you to tweak settings from outside the game.

* Windows and OSX Installers:
- The KSPStore version of the game can now also be downloaded as an installer wizard on Windows, and as a .dmg image on OSX.

Bug Fixes and Tweaks:
* Fixed an issue that caused a stream of errors to be thrown after planting a flag and opening the map.
* Fixed several minor and not-so-minor issues with scene transitions.
* Greatly improved the scene transition times. Loading delays between scenes should be significantly reduced.
* The SAS indicator on the UI now changes colors to indicate when your input is overriding it.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 10:14:53 PM

Awesome, but uh, you don't start with separation rings, and a parachute can only carry so much wight. I'm stuck at go.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 16, 2013, 10:43:55 PM

You get 5 science for successfully landing!  Click the recover button that pops up when you mouse over the altimeter when you're on the ground.  You can do this with a pretty small rocket -- just go up and put it down again.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 16, 2013, 11:00:59 PM

Right-click on the crew pod and you can gather info or transmit it (if you have an antenna) too!
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 04:23:20 PM

Awesome, but uh, you don't start with separation rings, and a parachute can only carry so much wight. I'm stuck at go.

One parachute, single man nose piece, smallest fuel/fuselage, rocket motor.  take her up a few hundred feet cut the throttle hit the parachute and land.

Handy link for the different types of reports to generate from data. Kerbal Science Wiki

Career mode is nifty, it gets grindy fast of you aren't any good at getting into orbit.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 06:39:28 PM

You can get good science for soil samples from different places on Kerbin, exposing Goo to different areas on Kerbin, EVA reports from various places (I survived a brief EVA at 450 feet just after my chute opened), etc.  Basically you can do a bunch of short, low-risk missions to bootstrap up a bit.

I'm definitely enjoying career mode -- it clearly needs some balance and tuning, but the larger game of obtaining science to unlock more goodies to build crazier craft to gather Bigger Science is keeping me amused.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 09:47:46 PM

While trying to get to the Mun, my calculator made some errors (I swear it was the calculators fault) and I ended overshooting Mun orbit because I was off with my gravity assist. Now I have a Kerbalnaut drifting into the deep solar system. He was a good one too, high courage very low stupidity. So my advice is to use the AI pilot that can be unlocked very early until you, are confident in your math and nav ball skill to hit the Mun fairly reliably. Oh yeah throw an extra battery pack onboard for the AI command module.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Kerbal Space Program!  
Jump to: