Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 11:59:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 226679 times)
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: July 22, 2014, 02:10:28 PM

Also, install Classic Shell or something similar.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: July 22, 2014, 02:43:11 PM

Yeah.  With Classic Shell tweaked properly you'll feel like you're on a zippy Win 7 install.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: July 23, 2014, 06:04:26 AM

Just got a new machine that was 8.1. Took me about two hours to get it so it was basically 7 and to get some non-MS bloatware off. Not bad. Runs fine now. The first twenty minutes were utter bullshit, though. I've never had that viscerally negative a reaction to an OS interface. I think I'd hate it on a tablet too if I were using Surface or whatever.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: July 23, 2014, 07:17:38 AM

It took me a few hours of abuse, but I finally figured out the way to do anything relatively quickly is to hit the windows key and type the program name and hit enter rather than playing hunt the pixel for the tile that has control panel or whatever obscure thing I'm looking for. So really, Windows 8.x ends up not a tablet interface, but as a text interface.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #984 on: July 23, 2014, 12:54:34 PM

It took me a few hours of abuse, but I finally figured out the way to do anything relatively quickly is to hit the windows key and type the program name and hit enter rather than playing hunt the pixel for the tile that has control panel or whatever obscure thing I'm looking for. So really, Windows 8.x ends up not a tablet interface, but as a text interface.

I prefer this method over desktop shortcuts or the start menu when I use machines with 7 now too.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #985 on: July 23, 2014, 02:07:56 PM

After 20 years, UI is back to the command line?

Rofl Waffle

--Signature Unclear
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #986 on: July 23, 2014, 02:36:14 PM

No. It's search, not a command line.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: July 23, 2014, 05:32:44 PM

Functionally what's the difference between typing "new game.exe" into a DOS window & pressing return,  and typing "newgame" into a search window and pressing return?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #988 on: July 23, 2014, 06:00:09 PM

The leaked Win9 screens are fairly damning against Win8.  They look a lot like Win7's desktop, but with the metro interface integrated in the opened Start menu.  It's a good match of old and new, visually.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: July 23, 2014, 06:02:29 PM

Functionally what's the difference between typing "new game.exe" into a DOS window & pressing return,  and typing "newgame" into a search window and pressing return?

The functional differences are enormous. Two exercises to demonstrate it:

Type "mkdir \help\IdontknowwhatImdoing" into your search field and see what happens.

Conversely, open a command prompt and type "World of Warcraft" and see what happens.

They're not at all close in functionality, except both involve typing something.

schild
Administrator

Reply #990 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:53 PM

Windows 9 looks great.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: July 24, 2014, 01:17:24 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #992 on: July 25, 2014, 09:15:03 AM

Windows 7 also looks great.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Wizgar
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: July 25, 2014, 09:51:22 AM

The leaked Win9 screens are fairly damning against Win8.  They look a lot like Win7's desktop, but with the metro interface integrated in the opened Start menu.  It's a good match of old and new, visually.

Does it still have those giant colored panels that look ridiculous on anything that isn't a touchscreen?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:53:19 AM by Wizgar »
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #994 on: July 25, 2014, 10:43:44 AM

The leaked Win9 screens are fairly damning against Win8.  They look a lot like Win7's desktop, but with the metro interface integrated in the opened Start menu.  It's a good match of old and new, visually.

Does it still have those giant colored panels that look ridiculous on anything that isn't a touchscreen?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #995 on: July 25, 2014, 12:44:04 PM

I like the little green xbox controller icon.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: July 25, 2014, 01:03:24 PM

Isn't that still Win 8?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:03 PM

This is relevant considering you need an xbox live account to play freecell now.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #998 on: July 25, 2014, 01:11:22 PM

Isn't that still Win 8?
No, even though it's labeled as 8.1 Pro the uip_dev part in the build number apparently means it's a User Interface & Platform build (the team working on the UI changes) for Windows 9.

http://www.myce.com/news/new-threshold-screenshots-show-start-menu-and-windowed-apps-72259/
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: July 25, 2014, 01:30:04 PM

This is relevant considering you need an xbox live account to play freecell now.

Is an xbox live account the same thing as a hotmail/msn/gfwl account?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:06 PM

After 20 years, UI is back to the command line?

I don't care how long it took, it is a good thing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2014, 02:08:26 PM

Isn't that still Win 8?
No, even though it's labeled as 8.1 Pro the uip_dev part in the build number apparently means it's a User Interface & Platform build (the team working on the UI changes) for Windows 9.

http://www.myce.com/news/new-threshold-screenshots-show-start-menu-and-windowed-apps-72259/

Oh. Well, it still looks hideous. Guess I'm keeping 7.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1002 on: July 25, 2014, 02:14:56 PM

I went for the wipe and install of Windows 7.  Microsoft makes this hard because the format type in Windows 8.1 is not compatible with Windows 7.  I had to go to C:> (not easy to find in Win 8) and run DISKPART to reformat all partitions to NTFS.   It was a royal pain in the ass but it was doable.  Then I had to go driver hunting. Took half a day.

I have never played WoW.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: July 25, 2014, 03:44:07 PM

On bootup with a a Win 7 install disk you can choose one of the advanced options and nuke all the drives.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1004 on: July 26, 2014, 08:08:53 AM

Is an xbox live account the same thing as a hotmail/msn/gfwl account?

Actually, yes.  Or maybe just single-sign-on, it's been a while but my XBL login is the same as all my other Microsoft logins.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: July 26, 2014, 05:36:56 PM

Good to see MS keeping with the tradition of "avoid every other Windows release". 9 should be a worthy upgrade, and I hear that with 9, they're changing to the Apple way of OS upgrades. No more "grand revision" every 3-4 years, but a milestone release every 1-2 years that patches into whatever you got and semi-cheap ($10-$30 instead of $100-$200)

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1006 on: July 26, 2014, 05:50:25 PM

Type "mkdir \help\IdontknowwhatImdoing" into your search field and see what happens.

Conversely, open a command prompt and type "World of Warcraft" and see what happens.

They're not at all close in functionality, except both involve typing something.
If your GUI OS is not usable without typing, it fails as a GUI.  Making it so typing something is crippled compared to a command prompt is not a plus that offsets your original failure, instead it means it fails as an OS.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: July 26, 2014, 08:22:33 PM

I had to do a script in powershell and did an 'rm' when I meant to do a 'del' and it worked.  Then I found out it has all the basic unix commands I tried.  I'm suddenly not so down on it anymore, at least for basic command line stuff.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: July 26, 2014, 11:49:28 PM

Functionally what's the difference between typing "new game.exe" into a DOS window & pressing return,  and typing "newgame" into a search window and pressing return?

If your GUI OS is not usable without typing, it fails as a GUI.  Making it so typing something is crippled compared to a command prompt is not a plus that offsets your original failure, instead it means it fails as an OS.

--Dave

This has what exactly to do with what I was saying? Windows 8 does not lack a CLI.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1009 on: July 28, 2014, 06:16:39 AM

I had to do a script in powershell and did an 'rm' when I meant to do a 'del' and it worked.  Then I found out it has all the basic unix commands I tried.  I'm suddenly not so down on it anymore, at least for basic command line stuff.

Powershell is POSIX-compliant.  If that means anything.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1010 on: July 28, 2014, 09:36:43 AM

On bootup with a a Win 7 install disk you can choose one of the advanced options and nuke all the drives.

Advanced options weren't something I could find before I was informed the file type was incompatible.  Maybe my OEM disk was a bit different or my google-fu wasn't up to it.  I spent quite of bit of internet digging on this issue.  There are lots of people asking the question but few people giving clear and concise answers.

I have never played WoW.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:11 AM

When you are at the disk selection phase, you just click all if the volumes there and delete them one by one then create a new one. This is of course using the custom option not the upgrade option at the beginning.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: July 29, 2014, 07:33:11 AM

Powershell is POSIX-compliant.  If that means anything.
It does.

It's just the first positive interaction I've had with powershell.  Usually I've only gone into it because windows decided not to include a GUI function I needed for maintenance.  So it surprised me.

I believe past NT command lines claimed to be POSIX-compliant, but they didn't include common unix commands.  I remember making batch files to duplicate them since I often forgot which OS I was in at the command line.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: July 29, 2014, 07:57:00 AM

Powershell is great.

Which is fortunate, because that's usually the only fucking way to do shit these days.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: July 29, 2014, 07:01:27 PM

Well, since now everything in the GUI for configuration (with like 2 or 3 exceptions across the whole OS) is just a graphical wrapper that runs PowerShell commands in the background it makes sense.

I really need to dive back into learning PowerShell for work. Just have not been able to find the time with the whole transitioning jobs and exploding appendix thing.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: