Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:07:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 226680 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #945 on: January 22, 2014, 06:02:19 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #946 on: January 22, 2014, 07:48:14 AM

Is there a definite date for when Windows 7 isn't going to be available anymore?
Retail copies stopped October 30 2013. Originally they listed October 30 2014 as the end of OEM copies but they retracted that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle#section_2
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: January 22, 2014, 06:29:50 PM

Oh good. My current system is four years old and runs Vista and I know I'm going to want to get a new one in the next year or so. I was worried that I'd need to get one now before Windows 7 stopped being available.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #948 on: January 22, 2014, 07:14:27 PM

Oh good. My current system is four years old and runs Vista and I know I'm going to want to get a new one in the next year or so. I was worried that I'd need to get one now before Windows 7 stopped being available.

Windows 8 plus a Start8/Classic Shell type of programme to avoid Metro isn't that bad. It's basically Windows 7, sans the Areo glass GUI.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: January 22, 2014, 07:25:37 PM

I've had a Win7 upgrade package for two years and never installed it. I really should get around to that.

I updated from XP to Vista-64 long after MS had un-fucked it, so I've never been driven to leave it.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #950 on: January 22, 2014, 09:58:02 PM

I skipped Vista except for a laptop that wouldn't run XP (put 7 on later).  Just unborked an Alienware for someone else that came with 8, by peeling the sticker off their old system and installing 7.  Graphics benchmarks jumped 10% with no other changes.

MS is so lucky to be in such a dominant position that the only alternative to buying their completely screwed up product is to buy a different version of their product.  A mistake like this would kill any other company the first time.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #951 on: May 14, 2014, 01:36:44 PM

The end of support for Windows XP is good news for Windows...7.

Windows XP lost 3.2% market-share between February and April. Windows 7 gained 2.0% in the same time, more than Windows 8.0 and 8.1 combined (1.6%).

And Windows Vista doesn't even get it's own graph.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Edit: And I think it's funny to see a Windows version with under 10% market share. Time to make "2014 is the year of Windows on the desktop!" jokes!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:45:39 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #952 on: May 14, 2014, 01:52:55 PM

That's pretty damn funny.  It's got less penetration than Vista or ME at this point doesn't it?

That graph is less rage inducing than the DA3 link I read earlier today where supposed computer professionals were bragging about still running XP at home.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #953 on: May 14, 2014, 02:02:29 PM

XP has to go because I can't watch all of the Uverse streams on it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: May 14, 2014, 04:33:12 PM

That's pretty damn funny.  It's got less penetration than Vista or ME at this point doesn't it?
I don't know, but those were honestly terribly buggy pieces of crap.  All 8 really needs is Win 7's GUI and it'd be a solid OS.

Unfortunately Microsoft seemed to think everyone would be using a touch tablet just because.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #955 on: May 14, 2014, 05:17:21 PM

Microsoft apparently thinks that if they don't make the touch UI the mandatory one, application developers won't re-build their systems for touch UI.  If they don't get serious productivity apps onto Surface, it will go the way of every other effort to force Windows users into a gesture-based system.  And they desperately want to 'consolize' the Windows ecosystem, something that won't happen if they can't get people to stop thinking of their computing devices as "computers".

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #956 on: May 14, 2014, 07:02:28 PM

awesome, for real

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #957 on: May 14, 2014, 08:20:30 PM

Looks like a good chunk of people are also willing to swith over to mac instead of using 8.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #958 on: May 14, 2014, 08:30:02 PM

Looks like a good chunk of people are also willing to swith over to mac instead of using 8.

Not really. Most of that growth in OS X 10.9 is replacing prior versions of OS X that aren't listed (most likely encompassed in the "other" category which you can see dropping by more than the rise in OS X 10.9.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: May 14, 2014, 08:50:28 PM

Most of that growth in OS X 10.9 is replacing prior versions of OS X that aren't listed (most likely encompassed in the "other" category which you can see dropping by more than the rise in OS X 10.9.)
Yeah, you could almost conclude that the chart is intentionally misleading, since OS X 10.9 was released Oct 22, 2013, so it couldn't help but grow substantially after that.

Having said that, it looks like Mac sales are up quite nicely, up 19% year over year in Q1 2014. That's not too shabby given that PC sales are trending lower.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #960 on: May 15, 2014, 01:32:31 PM

It is amazing that given the flop that is Windows 8, Microsoft stock has done so well since its launch, +48% vs +31% for the market.  The market knew 8 would be shit and just wanted it out, like a big shit that is giving you gas.

I have never played WoW.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: May 15, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Probably because investors see them making big profits and don't get hung up on just one aspect of the business.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #962 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:28 PM

Probably because investors see them making big profits and don't get hung up on just one aspect of the business.

If that was the case, APPL would be over 9000.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: May 15, 2014, 06:52:48 PM

I still don't even get all the 8 hate other than "ERMAGHAD METRO".  Now that I've used 8 a bunch at work I find it's faster on 7 at home to just use Windows key and search than the start button.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: May 16, 2014, 12:50:41 AM

The problem with 8 (and 2012) is that they made too many sweeping changes at once, many of which were ham fisted and made things considerably less efficient and are harder to use than their 7/2008 R2 counterparts.

A lot of the design changes were change for the sake of change.

As far as how the OS performs, it is noticeably better at a number if things, yes. I don't think anyone would deny that.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: May 16, 2014, 02:52:17 AM

I've started to get used to it and the underlying functionality certainly seems to be a bit more stable than 7. That said it took a few months to start getting used to it, the Metro UI I still don't use at all and I really don't get why they'd change so many things for the desktop environment the way they did except for the whole 'change for the sake of change'. Which pisses people off as they have to learn new shortcuts and ways to access things efficiently without navigating through a load of new pages.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: May 16, 2014, 06:10:28 AM

Plus I work with... not bright... individuals.  While I can muddle through well enough until I'm familiar, it's a significant enough change that it would stop our shop dead in the water for a month.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #967 on: May 16, 2014, 06:15:26 AM

I work with accountants who don't even know how to start up a new spreadsheet in Excel.

Windows 8? Hahahahahahaha.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #968 on: May 16, 2014, 07:45:52 AM

Same here. We even got new desktops with touchscreens for the staff, but Windows 8 was out of the question. They struggle with basic stuff, like turning a computer off vs restarting vs logging off, they are NOT going to handle Metro.

I use a combo of Win 8 and Linux Mint at work and I'm not unhappy with 8. It seems to run very nicely on older hardware, even better than 7 did, but good lord did they make you click 8 things in the place of 2.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #969 on: May 16, 2014, 07:48:16 AM

Thinking about it, Technological Illiteracy is the bane of the 21st century.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #970 on: May 16, 2014, 07:57:37 AM

It's also why I, and several others here, have a job.  Praise be to the job creators!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: May 16, 2014, 08:01:08 AM

True that.

I use a combo of Win 8 and Linux Mint at work and I'm not unhappy with 8. It seems to run very nicely on older hardware, even better than 7 did, but good lord did they make you click 8 things in the place of 2.
That's what baffles me about Win 8 and 2012.  The underlying stuff is actually good.  It is faster and better.

The interface is horrible though.  And that's the thing most people care about.  It's pretty obvious that the only people working on it had all the latest technology and were enamored with it.  None of them actually tried it in a typical work environment.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #972 on: May 16, 2014, 10:04:14 AM

Where I work, people who bought Surface Pros (tablet size, touchscreen) like Win8, people who bought new personal desktops at home with it and have to use a keyboard+mouse with it hate the shit out of it. Metro IMO works well enough on a tablet, and is dogshit with kb+mouse.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: May 16, 2014, 10:16:56 AM

I like it fine with a mouse, where I feel like it really sucks is with a laptop touchpad.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #974 on: May 16, 2014, 11:42:34 AM

I find it super user-unfriendly as well, even though I've gotten somewhat acclimated to it.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: July 22, 2014, 11:17:21 AM

Where I work, people who bought Surface Pros (tablet size, touchscreen) like Win8, people who bought new personal desktops at home with it and have to use a keyboard+mouse with it hate the shit out of it. Metro IMO works well enough on a tablet, and is dogshit with kb+mouse.

Someone politically connected with a funding source other than my budget decided that the Surface Pro 3 was absolultely necessary to make their life complete. I have never seen anything that does so many things poorly and in a more convoluted manner. It is in every way inferior to both a tablet and a laptop, but costs more than both put together.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: July 22, 2014, 11:36:10 AM

Hm, we have a Surface for testing, and I actually quite like it. The pricing is a problem though, if it were reasonable I'd consider it for my next tablet. Like 95% of what I'd use it for is gaming stuff and it would be nice to have a tablet-form device that I could run Hero Lab on at the table. (On a platform where I've already paid for all the licenses.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:38:13 AM by Ingmar »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: July 22, 2014, 11:54:00 AM

I had planned to avoid Win8 completely, but I need to buy a new laptop, and even where Windows 7 is an option, it costs an extra $100 or so (since my budget is fixed, this means it comes out of hardware features).  If I have to get 8.1, what's the best way of going about stripping all the touch interface out of it and making it act as much as possible like 7?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: July 22, 2014, 11:55:31 AM

Start menu 8 is free and does most of it. Occasionally it bugs out, but it seems mostly ok.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: July 22, 2014, 01:51:56 PM

I had planned to avoid Win8 completely, but I need to buy a new laptop, and even where Windows 7 is an option, it costs an extra $100 or so (since my budget is fixed, this means it comes out of hardware features).  If I have to get 8.1, what's the best way of going about stripping all the touch interface out of it and making it act as much as possible like 7?

--Dave

Give 8.1 update 1 a try first before going whole hog on removing everything, as they added a lot of the stuff back in. There are still quirks of the display that are annoying but it is a usable desktop OS now without a touchscreen.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: