Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 07:41:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 226773 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #840 on: May 15, 2013, 05:23:13 AM

Tips and tricks for current Win 8.

I have to admit that I wanted to kill people 24 hours after installing Win 8, but the next day I was already perfectly comfortable with everything, having customized what I wanted to customize. Now I have what seems to be a faster Win 7, so I am quite happy with it.

Not saying in the slightest they haven't been stupid in making an OS that requires a tutorial in order to become usable. Just saying that after you learn the ropes of it, and stop caring or even looking at Metro (I am 100% talking about Desktop here. Fuck Metro), it seems a pretty robust and efficient OS.

Definitely looking forward to 8.1.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: May 15, 2013, 06:18:56 AM

Was someone under the impression they were going to start charging for service packs? Not gonna happen.

Microsoft is moving to the Apple model with annual paid product updates.  The only difference is the first update is dealing with reasons why people don't like Windows 8, so they decided it would be retarded to charge for it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #842 on: May 15, 2013, 08:18:36 AM

Fucking Apple.  Or MS.  Not sure which.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #843 on: July 03, 2013, 11:22:53 PM

New Game Search Experience within Windows 8.1

Today we are announcing an important step in this journey. The Bing Ads platform will be available in Windows 8.1 Smart Search which was released last week in the Windows 8.1 preview.

Bing Ads will be an integral part of this new Windows 8.1 Smart Search experience. Now, with a single campaign setup, advertisers can connect with consumers across Bing, Yahoo! and the new Windows Search with highly relevant ads for their search queries. In addition, Bing Ads will include web previews of websites and the latest features like site links, location and call extensions, making it easier for consumers to complete tasks and for advertisers to drive qualified leads.

Translation from marketing-speak: Windows 8.1 Desktop search will feature advertising. Rejoice!  why so serious?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:25:50 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: July 04, 2013, 07:01:45 AM

Ads that pop up when i use the windows search feature will ensure that I switch to linux on all of my machines, regardless of my gaming habits. Seriously fuck Microsoft. I don't need my games so badly that I am willing to condone that behavior.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: July 04, 2013, 11:13:24 AM

Ads that pop up when i use the windows search feature will ensure that I switch to linux on all of my machines, regardless of my gaming habits. Seriously fuck Microsoft. I don't need my games so badly that I am willing to condone that behavior.

Or just install locate32. way better than windows search anyway.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: July 04, 2013, 05:51:12 PM

Wasn't this idea borrowed from ubuntu?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #847 on: July 08, 2013, 07:13:54 AM

I know Microsoft doesn't care, but Win 8 is a disaster for playing older games.  I am trying to expose my 11 year old to some of the classics that I have on my Steam account.  KOTOR1 and Mass Effect won't run at all on his Win 8 laptop.  Civ 5 does. 

I didn't really expect anything different, mind you.  Just reporting. 

I have never played WoW.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: July 08, 2013, 07:44:45 AM

I tried to play the telltale Walking Dead game but it kept crashing immediately on startup.  Turns out the solution is wither to not use windows 8, or unplug your Xbox controller.  Not sure if the wtf gets attributed to telltale or Microsoft for that one....
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: December 01, 2013, 05:17:48 PM

Well after never having tried Windows 8 or 8.1 but having tried Server 2012 and the greatly improved Server 2012r2 I softened up my prejudices a bit and thought Windows 8.1 couldn't be that bad.  Over the Holiday I migrated my dad's dying Vista laptop to a new laptop with Windows 8.1.  The 3 day experience of tweaking this pile of crappola so a 75 year old of the "i'm tired of learning new shit" variety could use it without having a heart attack has now given me the real world experiences that back up my previous prejudices.

Metro sucks, attempting to force people to use metro to get to the desktop sucks even more and attempting to force someone to have an xbox gamer tag to play freecell and hearts is just fucking stupid.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #850 on: December 01, 2013, 05:45:54 PM

attempting to force people to use metro to get to the desktop sucks even more and attempting to force someone to have an xbox gamer tag to play freecell and hearts is just fucking stupid.
Is that for real?
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: December 01, 2013, 05:56:22 PM

attempting to force people to use metro to get to the desktop sucks even more and attempting to force someone to have an xbox gamer tag to play freecell and hearts is just fucking stupid.
Is that for real?

Where did the Microsoft Games go on Windows 8 and Gaming in Windows 8.1.  It is also lovely that it is not really "easy" to get shortcuts on the non Metro desktop (or start bar) to Metro apps AND when using the Metro apps I tried the they are all full screen (no start bar).

Basically to get the Windows 7 versions of Solitaire/Minesweeper/Hearts/Freecell/Chess on a Windows 8 machine you need to copy them over from a Windows 7 box then hex edit the version checking to work with Windows 8.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #852 on: December 01, 2013, 06:54:30 PM

My whole weekend has seemed to revolve around being angry and depressed at software companies and marketing assholes so that's a good way to round it off.

Edit: I'm not sure what marking assholes is about, I meant marketing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:18:34 AM by Miasma »
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #853 on: December 01, 2013, 07:21:17 PM

Downgrades are the new upgrades.  Breaking shit so they can charge subscription fees for allowing inferior versions is what now substitutes for innovation.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #854 on: December 01, 2013, 08:00:26 PM

You forgot to work "the cloud" in there, too.

So subscriptions to software access, in addition to cloud fees for storage of those files on the cloud servers so you can access the files you created.  All while features are stripped out and sold back to you piecemeal 'to improve performance.'

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #855 on: December 01, 2013, 08:41:42 PM

Hey, we gave our latest OS upgrade away for free.

Just sayin'...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #856 on: December 01, 2013, 08:57:33 PM

Pushers always give free tastes.

Just sayin'   awesome, for real

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: December 02, 2013, 05:11:39 AM

You forgot to work "my ass" in there, too.

Heh.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #858 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:58 AM

you need to copy them over from a Windows 7 box then hex edit the version checking to work with Windows 8.

Sheesh.  So much wrong.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:48 AM

It looks like they are bringing the new mentality of "our customers are advertisers, you are the product" mentality from the xbox one to every part of Microsoft.

Appalling, really.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: December 04, 2013, 01:04:28 PM

No fucking tray notification for pending windows updates in Win 8(or 8.1) and Server 2012 (or 2012 R2) is clown shoes. There is a notice on the login screen but you don't see the login screen when you use RDP  swamp poop

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: December 04, 2013, 03:27:00 PM

That's right... dance my little monkies.  Suffer through Microsoft treating you like chumps until something nearly usable emerges .... Dance...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #862 on: December 04, 2013, 03:31:40 PM

And yet, still better than the alternatives!   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #863 on: December 04, 2013, 03:56:52 PM

No fucking tray notification for pending windows updates in Win 8(or 8.1) and Server 2012 (or 2012 R2) is clown shoes. There is a notice on the login screen but you don't see the login screen when you use RDP  swamp poop

I think our "Metro sucks for desktop PCs" complains will feel quaint at one point, seeing what the future holds:

WINDOWS 10 TO BE ‘CLOUD OS’

Details on Windows 10 were also provided, with claims that the future operating system will be a “cloud OS,” meaning that all of the processing and computing would be done on Microsoft’s servers, and be streamed to your computer, completely eliminating the need for a powerful rig and only requiring the basic bits to run peripherals and such. Windows 10 would essentially just be a new cloud service for Microsoft, on top of Office 365 and the new Xbox Cloud on Xbox One, pushing the company further into the cloud ecosystem.

Fuck the cloud!  Ohhhhh, I see.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #864 on: December 04, 2013, 04:24:17 PM

Everythings going to the  cloud.  I'm at AU and its appaling how many cloud evangelicals there are.  "Run everything off your 9 year old laptop at the same speed as  a supercomputer!"  Its the death of the PC!  Renting software is better than owing it"

fuuuuck

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #865 on: December 04, 2013, 06:09:59 PM

I'm pushing lots of shit out to the cloud (email, backups, anything customer-facing, looking at ERP...) The ROI numbers are hard to argue with.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: December 04, 2013, 06:35:17 PM

I'm pushing lots of shit out to the cloud (email, backups, anything customer-facing, looking at ERP...)
Moving data to the cloud carries a lot of legal risks and complications.  If you're doing it in a professional setting, I'd make sure your legal department does their due diligence twice.  It is a huge issue in the legal world right now.   

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #867 on: December 04, 2013, 07:14:32 PM

And yet, still better than the alternatives!   awesome, for real

Nope. Just more convenient if you're a gamer.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #868 on: December 04, 2013, 07:17:02 PM

And yet, still better than the alternatives!   awesome, for real

Except for that whole saving to the network and business application thing.

I'm pushing lots of shit out to the cloud (email, backups, anything customer-facing, looking at ERP...)
Moving data to the cloud carries a lot of legal risks and complications.  If you're doing it in a professional setting, I'd make sure your legal department does their due diligence twice.  It is a huge issue in the legal world right now.   

Oh its ok IP is a dead thing becauze.. millenials!  Just give away all your company methods and content..becaus..millenials!   

Just dont you DARE pirate anything from the guys providing cloud services, damnit!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:20:37 PM by Merusk »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #869 on: December 04, 2013, 07:18:05 PM

Yes, they go over everything. Email in particular got a lot of scrutiny, although more because of EU laws than US ones.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #870 on: December 04, 2013, 07:35:06 PM

Double Nope. Both can be done.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: December 04, 2013, 08:00:06 PM

Everythings going to the  cloud.  I'm at AU and its appaling how many cloud evangelicals there are.  "Run everything off your 9 year old laptop at the same speed as  a supercomputer!"  Its the death of the PC!  Renting software is better than owing it"

fuuuuck
When the internet goes out, stare at the black box! When your shit gets hacked, stare at the black box!

When you "use the cloud" and realize your fucking ping is shit-tastic and your neighbors are hogging the bandwith and you're paying out the ass because everyone's gone away from unlimited streaming and you're breaking your cap just running fucking Windows 10, USE THE CLOUD!

What the fuck can go wrong?

(Mind you, I use mozy to back my shit up and love google backing up my phone. But my goddamn OS? Are you INSANE?)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #872 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:07 PM

Double Nope. Both can be done.

Then you need to tell me how i get Autodesk prducts, newforma and adobe products to run on a network without a third party app and without bootstrapping in to another os.

fuuuuck
When the internet goes out, stare at the black box! When your shit gets hacked, stare at the black box!

When you "use the cloud" and realize your fucking ping is shit-tastic and your neighbors are hogging the bandwith and you're paying out the ass because everyone's gone away from unlimited streaming and you're breaking your cap just running fucking Windows 10, USE THE CLOUD!

What the fuck can go wrong?

(Mind you, I use mozy to back my shit up and love google backing up my phone. But my goddamn OS? Are you INSANE?)

In cloud land everyibe has a 100% uptime 1000 gigabit connection.  look how we demo it working perfectly at tradeshows when the servers ar in another area!

The entire tech industry is taking Blizzards stance to folks with shitty or unreliable connections, "move out of the third world, you walkin wallets,"
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:13:34 PM by Merusk »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: December 05, 2013, 03:06:16 AM

Facepalm

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: December 05, 2013, 05:56:58 AM

I have actually replaced both my IPad and my main windows laptop with a Lenovo Yoga 11 WinRT laptop/Tablet convertible.  I then have my Desktop PC (no monitor but it is always hooked up to my tv) setup to stream games to it remotely.  So if I'm in my house I can easily play stream BL2 and other games to it perfectly fine, and when I'm out of the hose i'ts perfectly fine for non-fast paced games (Sword of the stars the pit, avernum, Civ 5, etc....).

I also am able to remotely connect to the desktop from wherever if I ever need to write code, and the benefit I get from it all is 14 hours of battery life, very little heat emmission, no fan noise (all passively cooled), and extremely light. 

The only reason this isn't in the cloud is because no cloud service yet provides what I want, but I'm essentially living the idea.  Yeah, when my internet goes out I"m fucked but judging from past experience I"ll be bored anyways if the net goes out.  Plus you know, there is always books.  Luckily that doesnt' happen often.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: