Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 225183 times)
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36:08 AM

One of my co-workers bought a surface pro and brought it in. It's pretty neat until you look at the price and realize you could've just bought an equivalent or better ultrabook.

I have specific requirements, and they included a Wacom active digitizer. No Ultrabooks with that. :)

Here's my blog post on why I picked the Samsung Smart PC Pro instead of the Surface Pro: http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/03/19/windows-8-tablet-part-one/

Nice choice with the Smart PC Pro we got a few here at work and they are WAAAY better than the Surface Pro. We got the A2 version and have been pretty happy with them. They are more for light laptop work and heavy art drawing (2 of the 3 users are mechanical engineers / managers). We had one keyboard that was "loose" which is a physical connection issue. We ahem adjusted the dock with a few well placed bends (metal latch was not closing completely) and the problem went away.

I am really curious what the next generation will look like. I am really hoping they up the resolution on these tablets.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: April 24, 2013, 11:34:48 AM

ModernMix. Runs Metro apps in a window. Also lets you actually exit them, even while in Metro.

Holy Crap? Microsoft considers a full screen app an improvement? And they made this to sell to people who might have 30in monitors? WTF? Way to innovate, Microsoft.

(Do they still use that claim? Innovation? Or were they told to cease and desist with the court order?)
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #807 on: April 24, 2013, 12:45:33 PM

Nice choice with the Smart PC Pro we got a few here at work and they are WAAAY better than the Surface Pro. We got the A2 version and have been pretty happy with them.

I am really curious what the next generation will look like. I am really hoping they up the resolution on these tablets.

Mine's the A02 as well. Though there really don't seem to be any spec differences between A01, 02, and 03 in the US.

Apparently, Haswell isn't going to be a radical change. 10-20% battery boost maybe, marginal CPU increase...

Why do you want more resolution at 11.6 inches? It's already impossible to see when running at standard scaling, and Windows has TERRIBLE high dpi scaling. See the follow-up post I did: http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/03/20/windows-8-tablet-part-two/
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: April 24, 2013, 08:00:28 PM

Sorry not resolution I meant DPI (got in a rush when I posted that)

And as far as Haswell goes yea I am thinking the next few generations will all be about power savings.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: April 26, 2013, 08:31:38 AM

I picked up a new ultrabook for work (Acer S3 -- very slick and close to an equal of the MacBook Air) and unfortunately it came with Windows 8, so I've been trying to make do, just to learn if I could cope. I still hate it. But I was flipping back to the start screen then opening up the all programs part because I was looking for, i think it was the control panel? And I had this distant memory. I started out as a Mac user and way back I think this was system 6.5 or earlier, the absolute "must have" add on for the OS was something that let you put all your programs in cascading folders from the Apple menu instead of having to dig through folders for them.

And apparently the start button is coming back, but all it will do is take you to the metro ui, which is an improvement, but not by much.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Raph
Developers

Reply #810 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:55 PM

I'm telling you, Start8 or Classic Shell or the like.

That said, if you can get used to swipe-in-from-right, I actually really like that method of getting to settings, search, control panel, power, etc. Search there is contextual, and more easily filterable, too.

I rarely use swipe from left (app switch) just like I rarely use the equivalent on iOS (multi-finger side swipe). Alt-TAB is still nicer on desktop.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: April 26, 2013, 01:05:16 PM

Ya classic shell if fantastic. I even use it on 7 just to get back the up one folder button that seems to have been innovated away.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: April 26, 2013, 01:18:09 PM

Ya classic shell if fantastic. I even use it on 7 just to get back the up one folder button that seems to have been innovated away.

What?  I have no shell add-ons and my file explorer in Windows 8 has a up one folder button.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: April 26, 2013, 08:18:32 PM

What?  I have no shell add-ons and my file explorer in Windows 8 has a up one folder button.

Odd my windows 7 had none. It uses breadcrumb file links. You did see the 7 in the sentence you quoted right?

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #814 on: April 26, 2013, 10:11:24 PM

This. Totally ignore the ModernUI and its a fine OS. Really though there is no reason to upgrade past 7. I would hate it if I had to work on it. Luckily I use a MacBook Pro as a client to connect to all my company's Centos servers.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: April 26, 2013, 11:46:02 PM

Odd my windows 7 had none. It uses breadcrumb file links. You did see the 7 in the sentence you quoted right?

That is not odd. Windows 7 does not have the up one level button in windows explorer. Personally I never use it so I didn't notice its lack until I got stuck with a machine running classic shell when I started at my current job.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: April 27, 2013, 12:18:50 AM

That is not odd. Windows 7 does not have the up one level button in windows explorer. Personally I never use it so I didn't notice its lack until I got stuck with a machine running classic shell when I started at my current job.

Ya so they put it back in in 8? I was used to it after 10?+ years of XP. I'd prefer just having a .. directory entry but no dice there either. Anyway I like classic shell cause it puts it back and if it makes 8 work like 7 I say more power to it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #817 on: May 10, 2013, 10:59:40 PM

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: May 10, 2013, 11:08:12 PM

Best comment from that vid:

Windows 8 is like hitting your face against the table?

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: May 11, 2013, 05:18:41 AM

It is!

I can say that it is fast, but it takes work to get the interface usable.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: May 11, 2013, 05:33:47 AM

Ive been using 8 since i last posted in this thread and i honestly feel that i was being way to dramatic about the interface. Its kind of grown on me a great deal.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: May 11, 2013, 12:32:56 PM

Best comment from that vid:

Windows 8 is like hitting your face against the table?

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

That was the first thing that occurred to me after watching it too.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: May 11, 2013, 02:51:43 PM

Ive been using 8 since i last posted in this thread and i honestly feel that i was being way to dramatic about the interface. Its kind of grown on me a great deal.

You can get used to anything.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #823 on: May 12, 2013, 09:31:50 AM

I've been trying to use Windows 8 as a desktop environment at work, but after 2-4 days I switch back to Linux, utterly exhausted by the extra fuss 8 puts me through. Yes, you read that right, I switch back to Linux as an easier work environment rather than have to fuss about interminably with Windows 8.

Thankfully, I'm only beholden to a few 'windows only' products I can easily remote desktop to from Linux. I don't have to use Excel or Word with any regularity, so I am by no means the norm. However, there are entire schools of education within my university that have adopted Windows 8 but with the Classic Shell third party software integrated into their image, along with the elimination of the Metro start up screen in order to go straight to desktop. I'm not talking about esoteric departments let loose to do what they will, I'm talking about the staff/faculty work environments of the entire School of Business for example, as managed by their IT department. And not just one or two departments, but several. From some reports, its because they do not have the man hours or will to train staff in the vagaries of Metro's interface and need them to get to work.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #824 on: May 13, 2013, 03:54:50 AM

Again, the university I work at has decided to completely skip Windows 8. You won't find a supported machine running it, and we downgrade laptops we buy to 7 before giving them to users.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:58 AM

I got a laptop and I really did try to live with it, but it was just beyond agonizing. Having to windows key, right click at the bottom of metro to get all apps, then find the thing I wanted in a long disordered muddle just kept getting in the way. Things like the control panel, the calculator. The things you just get used to having a click away.

I threw on start menu 8, which was free, and it really is fine as long as you get rid of metro. OTOH I'm not sure what new features it actually has other than that.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: May 13, 2013, 06:01:51 AM

The only two features of Win 8 that would even make me think about installing it on something are having Hyper-V included in the desktop OS and the ability to install the Win 8 Remote Administration Toolkit if I was managing a Server 2012 Hyper-V environment.

But we are a VMware shop, and I can install VMware workstation on my desktop at work if I need to sandbox something.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: May 13, 2013, 06:08:04 AM

Heart the new Win8 Task Manager.  If I could import that into Win7...

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #828 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:56 AM

Yep, that is one cool feature of WIn 8, along with the built in disk image mounter. Does it justify switching? Unfortunately, not for me.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: May 13, 2013, 02:51:59 PM

Yep, that is one cool feature of WIn 8, along with the built in disk image mounter. Does it justify switching? Unfortunately, not for me.

Has anyone but me discovered System Explorer? It's a drop in replacement for task manager www.systemexplorer.net
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #830 on: May 13, 2013, 07:06:09 PM

Has anyone but me discovered System Explorer? It's a drop in replacement for task manager www.systemexplorer.net

I'm still using Sysinternals procexp.exe and sometimes Win7's Resource Monitor.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Raph
Developers

Reply #831 on: May 13, 2013, 07:43:00 PM

Win8 DOES have way better touch and pen handling. But that only matters to tablety people. And there's a pile of legacy apps (like, ALL of them) that don't use it :(
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #832 on: May 14, 2013, 08:00:24 AM

My 10 year old wants a laptop for his 11th birthday so my parents put their hand up to get it for him.  I sent them to Dell for the ease of it.  So I am going to inflict Win8 on someone who hasn't ever really used a PC for more than web stuff. 

I have never played WoW.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: May 14, 2013, 08:06:22 AM

Make sure you film your son the first time he uses it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #834 on: May 14, 2013, 09:43:33 AM

Make sure you film your son the first time he uses it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

That is a fantastic idea.  Really.  I will film him opening the thing and turning it on and just ignore his questions, warning him first that I am going to do this of course.

I have never played WoW.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:27 AM

Was confirmed today that Win8.1 (AKA Windows Blue, AKA "MIRACLE PATCH 5000") will be free for all current Win8 customers.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #836 on: May 14, 2013, 11:46:12 AM

Hah, well, 10 points to hufflepuff then.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #837 on: May 14, 2013, 12:29:09 PM

Was someone under the impression they were going to start charging for service packs? Not gonna happen.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #838 on: May 14, 2013, 12:42:39 PM

I believe that it was rumored that they were going to charge for it. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:14 PM

Was someone under the impression they were going to start charging for service packs? Not gonna happen.

8.1 wasn't considered a service pack.  It was considered a whole new product.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: