Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 12:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 226812 times)
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: January 26, 2013, 03:18:43 PM

So I have had a windows 8 pro tablet sitting on my desk for a bit over a week now at work. (samsung Ativ smart pc pro) All said and done its not a bad piece of hardware. It has a I5 processor so there is decent speed.  Battery life is not great but we knew this when we bought them. Roughly 4 hours on average office user use.  The bezel is a bit big and if the screen went from edge to edge it would be a lot nicer looking. Office 2010 is not very nice on a touch screen and office 2013 is not looking much better.

That being said Windows 8 is just awkward to use even on a tablet. However I can see where Microsoft is going assuming they stick with it. My wish is a tablet with 12 hours minimum battery life that has as much power as any desktop machine with half the weight of the Ativ and no active cooling (the fan gets loud!). Plug it into a docking station at work so I can use my big monitors, keyboard, mouse to do actual work. Then I can take it home or to a meeting and use it as a tablet. Will that ever happen? Maybe but its going to be a few years down the road.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: January 27, 2013, 07:44:47 AM

It's a ultrabook with the guts in the screen and a detachable hinge. It will suit the people who want to pay a lot of money to run office on a platform not designed for that sort of thing (and even less convenient since it's heavier and more resource intensive) without the style and integrated eco-system that made the ipad popular.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: January 27, 2013, 12:18:32 PM

Actually in our case we are looking at using tablets on the manufacturing floor for our QA people. Our applications require a full computer and carrying a ultrabook around and being forced into using a keyboard isn't a great idea. We will probably end up with the toughpads that panasonic makes but we wanted to see if windows 8 made sense.(which it doesn't, at least not yet). As far as the ipad goes we have tried them but it just will not work for our situation.  Keep in mind we are not a home user which something like a Ipad or a Nexus tablet makes more sense for.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: January 27, 2013, 06:15:37 PM

I thought it was something like that. Microsoft still has a solid monopoly and eco-system lock in on the corporate market and can extend that to mobile data terminals. There's people making those already though a surface tablet seems way overkill for a data collection device, but microsoft can make the alternatives difficult if it chooses to.

But with Windows 8 they really wanted the domestic market and the "flash" of exciting gear. Otherwise they end up being like IBM. Boring gear you are mandated to use at work but not nearly as interesting as what you use at home. And long term that makes them vulnerable.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #459 on: January 28, 2013, 06:58:57 AM

Ye gods. I was just told to order 8 laptops for our training lab and it seems the options are 'shitty processor, shitty OS or both'.

Dammit. I just got a working model for win7, you sheepfuckers.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: January 28, 2013, 08:43:11 AM

You can still buy laptops with windows 7.  All of Dell's business grade laptops should still give you windows 7 as a option. No idea what your budget is though and if you are in the low end range you may be out of luck.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: March 28, 2013, 05:00:51 PM

Ok so I finally decided to take a look at Windows 8, by way of torturing the wife with a new laptop (good) with Win8 on it (not so good). Until this very moment I wasn't interested in it so had avoided this thread. I'm going to start thumbing through, but I need to get this off my chest first:

What. The. Fuck.

The basic settings accessible through metro make the fucking iPhone settings menu look like the space shuttle. I can't even figure out how to connect to a network that has SSID broadcast off. And forget trying to find the MAC address. And fucking wifi keeps flickering in and out of connection with no indication on what's failing in the basic interface. They obfuscated the desktop mode, but that's the only place all that shit still exists!

And that was all before I realized the Mail program doesn't support POP3, used by every fucking ISP ever. At one point I had all her emails (she refuses to ditch the email box from our ISP) route through gmail. Then I said fuck it and put on MS Office 2007 so she could have Exchange.

I finally just set up everything so she could use desktop mode fulltime, with the caveat that there's no longer a start button but instead start "tiles". Which she'll never need because I put all her shit in the desktop task bar.

So I think I know what they're thinking: proprietary UI we can own and then we can MTX people for deeper features (like those stupid-ass netbooks with basic Win7 that charge you for shit like wanting to change the background image), and get kickbacks from all the geeksquad calls.

The problem is that MS is no Apple. Not that Apple is any better at intuitive design (and Jobs' fixaction on skeuromorphic design really sucked). But what Apple has is a loyal fanbase willing to suck down change, even change only for the sake of change.

MS does not have that. They have an audience grugglingly conceding the computers are cheaper when it comes bundled with shovelware and a stupid UI.

I swear, their OSes are like Star Trek movies: every other one sucks.

I told her we'd give it a week. If she hates it, I'm nuking it from orbit and putting on Win7. Or return it and drop an extra $300 for an Air.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: April 01, 2013, 09:04:12 AM

Classic Shell with "skip Metro" checked.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #463 on: April 01, 2013, 01:01:57 PM

Classic Shell with "skip Metro" checked.

What do you have if you do this?  Seems there is a lot of complaining about the OS in general, so would this alleviate the complaints, leaving us with Win7.1?  I'm in no hurry to update, so far no one has forced me, but you never know.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: April 01, 2013, 01:15:14 PM

Yeah, I thought there was no way to do that sort of thing. Was I mistaken or is this something from a recent patch?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: April 01, 2013, 01:29:55 PM

Classic Shell is a free app, not part of Windows.

Yes, it makes it Windows 7.1.  I have to deploy 8 for my end-users, so I'm okay with it being functionally the same.  I do NOT want to have to teach them how to use 8.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #466 on: April 01, 2013, 02:20:29 PM

Had an opportunity to get Windows 8 Pro for free, so took it. Bought Stardocks' Start8 for 4.99$ (similar to Classic Shell, but more features)

Start8 provides a startmenu, allows to boot directly into the desktop and to disable the charm corners. I activated all options and haven't seen metro ever again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:22:13 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #467 on: April 01, 2013, 06:53:17 PM

I like how Win8 was so bad it turned Stardock into a company producing a legitimately useful product instead of stuff for people to skin their OS into an ugly anime monstrosity.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: April 01, 2013, 09:11:05 PM

Classic Shell is a free app, not part of Windows.

Yes, it makes it Windows 7.1.  I have to deploy 8 for my end-users, so I'm okay with it being functionally the same.  I do NOT want to have to teach them how to use 8.
Thanks!

Going to grab that. Wish I read this when you posted it. Woulda been a good April Fools joke. Now it's just a mundane problem solver  smiley
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #469 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:42 AM

Interesting facts about the Windows 8 'store'. Can be barely called a 'store'. More of a front for shovelware and the dregs of the internet. Makes Android Marketplace look like a place to take your mother-in-law.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: April 03, 2013, 09:39:53 AM

Interesting facts about the Windows 8 'store'. Can be barely called a 'store'. More of a front for shovelware and the dregs of the internet. Makes Android Marketplace look like a place to take your mother-in-law.

The Windows 8 store sounds like an awesome place for a developer to make some cash. Little to no competition and no one minding the store for the win.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #471 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:32 PM

I like how Win8 was so bad it turned Stardock into a company producing a legitimately useful product instead of stuff for people to skin their OS into an ugly anime monstrosity.

I will still never, ever, ever give them any more money.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: April 03, 2013, 01:50:29 PM

I'm hoping Win7 is the last windows I'll ever buy.  With Valve trying to lead the Linux Gaming Revolution now, I may just switch over.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #473 on: April 03, 2013, 03:56:57 PM

I'm hoping Win7 is the last windows I'll ever buy.  With Valve trying to lead the Linux Gaming Revolution now, I may just switch over.

Have you tried installing, say, Team Fortress 2 on Linux? It isn't exactly a walk in the park for an amateur Linux user. I have, and my conclusion is that unless you have the absolutely most vanilla Linux install, with only one monitor, a known video card, etc, you're going to run into all sorts of trouble. Not to mention that TF2 on Linux looks like absolute shit and runs worse.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #474 on: April 03, 2013, 04:18:40 PM

Yeah the 'Linux gaming revolution' stuff is *years* away.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #475 on: April 03, 2013, 05:19:22 PM

The Linux gaming revolution will literally never ever happen.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: April 03, 2013, 06:41:42 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #477 on: April 03, 2013, 06:55:58 PM

As much as I want Linux to be a viable gaming platform, I just installed kubuntu 12.10 on my gaming rig. What I experienced there was unlike what I've experienced any other time I've tried to fiddle with linux (I used kubuntu back at work 3-5 years ago or something): I could open up the KDE variant of the start menu, but I couldn't select anything within that, with the mouse. Keyboard worked. Same with any and all programs I started up.

Apart from that, uh, minor issue, everything worked much more smoothly compared to the previous time I used it (the problems were mostly X-related, with me having to fix the configuration and installing updated ATI-drivers etc). But I've no idea why that problem happened, and unlike the other problems I've had in linux, I've no idea what to do to fix this.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #478 on: April 03, 2013, 08:46:57 PM

The Linux gaming revolution will literally never ever happen.

LIEZ! 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 is the year of linux on the desktop!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:40 PM

Holy shit, windows 8 is like a bad infection, it just doesn't go away. I have to use it for a class I have so I used my student copy on an extra hard drive I had installed. For years I have had multiple versions of windows on different drives and the option to boot from any of them has been clean and easy to use. 8 does some shit to windows 7 even though its on another drive so that windows 7 wont boot and I just get a blank black screen with a mouse courser. I had to physically disconnect the drive with 8 on it before it would let me boot into 7 successfully again.

Also holy shit, windows 8 is a gigantic steaming pile of shit.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: April 04, 2013, 06:19:30 AM

It's like they took Windows 7 and decided to merge it with Vista and ME.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #481 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:40 AM

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/149762-four-months-in-windows-8-adoption-is-almost-at-a-standstill

It's a disaster. Plain and simple. Not only is it not getting adopted current users, they actively speak out against it. Windows is having to cut prices by 75% to even get manufacturers to put it on their machines, and it's murdering sales. If I was a retailer, I wouldn't want to carry the things. It's a waste.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: April 04, 2013, 07:51:05 AM

It's very much building for a market they want instead of the one they have.  Only instead of 200k customers, they had most of the desktop market.

And it's all because of two stupid things they took out that can bed added back through freeware.  Morons.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: April 06, 2013, 09:15:08 AM

What was the second thing? I can only think of the Start button (which you linked to a freeware thing earlier in thread, which has been awesome, thanks!)

Two weeks in and my wife spends all of her time in desktop mode. Easy when you only need five programs in the taskbar, including Minecraft for the kids (and, well, me).

Paelos' chart matches every other one I've seen too. I'm quite sure MS is not a fan of this. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever yutz pushed for metro isn't even there anymore.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: April 06, 2013, 11:06:18 AM

The Metro start instead of a desktop makes a huge barrier due to first impressions.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: April 06, 2013, 04:32:17 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever yutz pushed for metro isn't even there anymore.

Pretty sure that yutz is Steve Ballmer.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: April 06, 2013, 07:17:44 PM

Then those are the metrics he deserves  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Metro start instead of a desktop makes a huge barrier due to first impressions.
Ah. Yea. That was the first few hours of my pain. She just doesn't ever shut it off so largely remains in desktop mode.

Until, apparently, and as I just found out, you want to open images. Those images won't open in a Picture Viewer window. They'll dump you back in the stupid Metro UI until you fiddle with changes to make it stop.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: April 06, 2013, 07:29:13 PM

I would accept metro and the charms stuff if there was some compelling reason under the hood to upgrade. As is, it seems like it's Windows 7 with a shittier UI. I'm failing to see the technological advances here, and MS doesn't seem to really be running out the amazing leaps forward to try and convert the techies. And I'm pretty much offended at the rumors (facts?) that the new DirectX will be Win8 only in order to push sales, not for any technical reason.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #488 on: April 06, 2013, 07:32:56 PM

I would accept metro and the charms stuff if there was some compelling reason under the hood to upgrade. As is, it seems like it's Windows 7 with a shittier UI. I'm failing to see the technological advances here, and MS doesn't seem to really be running out the amazing leaps forward to try and convert the techies. And I'm pretty much offended at the rumors (facts?) that the new DirectX will be Win8 only in order to push sales, not for any technical reason.

Well, .iso files can be now mounted natively in Explorer, without the need of a programme like Clone CD.
The programme search that opens when you press "Win-Button" has been somewhat improved over Windows 7.
The Taskmanager looks nicer.

Thats about it.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: April 06, 2013, 07:40:28 PM

Well, .iso files can be now mounted natively in Explorer, without the need of a programme like Clone CD.
Same with Server 2012.  Interesting bug in 2012 which I haven't tried to duplicate yet, nor really want to, but I'm going to need to see if it happen in Win 8...

We make a ton of recordings.  WAV format, so we convert them to MP3 to save space.  It involved a DEL command.  No biggie.  Except it seems that 2012 will remove the file but not deallocate the space.  Guess what happens when your 100 GB disk has 90 GB of full non-existent files?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: