Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: House of Cards 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 36467 times)
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 01, 2015, 08:22:56 AM

Francis skill set is not suited to being the prime mover. You knew things were going to turn out poorly unfortunately, everything is a house of cards.  Heartbreak
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #71 on: March 01, 2015, 02:08:51 PM

Had no idea Claire had passable French.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #72 on: March 01, 2015, 03:39:32 PM

Ten episodes in now and I think this season by far surpasses season 2, which I thought was fun but a little silly and absurd in parts, but doesn't quite reach the first season's greatness.  The characters are turning out to be much deeper than is led on in the first two seasons though, and I'm really digging it.  Also, the music has gotten a lot better this season.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 02, 2015, 06:34:48 AM

Ten episodes in now and I think this season by far surpasses season 2, which I thought was fun but a little silly and absurd in parts, but doesn't quite reach the first season's greatness.  The characters are turning out to be much deeper than is led on in the first two seasons though, and I'm really digging it.  Also, the music has gotten a lot better this season.

I agree with all of this.

Question for those people who have watched it all (spoiler spoiler)

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 02, 2015, 07:18:51 AM

Question for those people who have watched it all (spoiler spoiler)

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #75 on: March 02, 2015, 02:03:34 PM

Couple of episodes from the end.  Dayyyyum that debate.

(edit, near the end) I think Frank's big weakness is overestimating everyone else's willingness to put up with his shit.

(edit 2, done)  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:01:52 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 07:19:36 AM

I didn't enjoy this season as much as the prior two but one thing I did enjoy was

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 05, 2015, 08:40:51 AM

I didn't enjoy this season as much as the prior two but one thing I did enjoy was

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 05, 2015, 04:31:06 PM

Are we getting a Season 4? For some reason I thought it was only going to go to 3.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #79 on: March 05, 2015, 04:44:15 PM

Yeah, my main complaint about this season is that we didn't really see the old Frank cleverness.  Like I said, he vastly overestimates everyone else's willingness to put up with his shit, which means he just ends up barking orders rather than cleverly manipulating people into doing what he wants without them knowing it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 05, 2015, 07:50:56 PM

Binge-watched the third season this weekend and I was rather disappointed how it failed to stand up to the previous seasons (in my opinion).

Just finished 3rd season with the wife, it wasn't nearly as good or engaging as the previous seasons.  I struggle to even think of much positive to say about it.  The abrupt end and turn around with Doug and his situation they had been building so much felt particularly awful to me after they did such a good job with him the rest of the season.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 07, 2015, 04:28:59 PM

Solid season, not as good as the first two with some real head-scratchers in there.  Some of the stories felt abrupt, like they finished the script five minutes before shooting.  I disagree with the direction some of the plots took. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 16, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Binge-watched the third season this weekend and I was rather disappointed how it failed to stand up to the previous seasons (in my opinion).

Just finished 3rd season with the wife, it wasn't nearly as good or engaging as the previous seasons.  I struggle to even think of much positive to say about it.  The abrupt end and turn around with Doug and his situation they had been building so much felt particularly awful to me after they did such a good job with him the rest of the season.

Without spoiling:  Doug is an addict but alcohol is not his main addiction, he was able to kick booze fairly easy because he just replaces it with power.  He relapsed in the end.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 17, 2015, 08:28:24 AM

Couple of episodes from the end.  Dayyyyum that debate.

(edit, near the end) I think Frank's big weakness is overestimating everyone else's willingness to put up with his shit.

(edit 2, done)  awesome, for real

Yup he lamed the presidency to back door his way into the seat and this season was pretty much him not being able to do anything and not realizing he was acting like such an enormous ass people just were no longer willing to put up with it any more. Francis should never have attempted to get the presidency he is a back room dealer put the spot light on him and all the roaches start scuttling.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #84 on: March 29, 2015, 10:50:01 PM

I have two episodes left.  I hate this season so god damn much I don't want to finish it.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #85 on: July 18, 2015, 10:41:35 PM

So I just finished watching season 2 episode 1 and thought I'd bump this. WTF? And here I thought it was funny how much people freaked out about all the unexpected deaths in Game of Thrones. I don't think I've stared at the screen that dumbfounded other then perhaps a certain scene with Brian Austin Green in the Terminator series. Makes me wish I hadn't waited so long to watch this.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 06:02:41 PM

Just be prepared to temper your excitement for Season 3.  It's definitely very differently paced and (imo) weak.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #87 on: July 19, 2015, 07:03:10 PM

I liked season three more than the second season.  Everything seemed a little too neat and convenient in the second season and in the third you really see Underwood's weaknesses.  It's a point that divides fans though, for sure.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 20, 2015, 04:27:08 AM

I didn't feel like they showed his weaknesses well though.  The style, writing, pacing, and themes were just so vastly different than the previous two seasons that it did not make it enjoyable to me and felt like a slog to get through.  It would have been fine if his weaknesses would have shown by his him trying to use all the cunningness they showed him having from the previous two seasons and failing, but they really failed to show him even attempting to be cunning.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #89 on: July 20, 2015, 08:34:29 AM

His weakness is that once he thinks he's won, all that cunning goes right out the window.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 20, 2015, 10:07:39 AM

His weakness is that once he thinks he's won, all that cunning goes right out the window.   Ohhhhh, I see.

That may be sarcastic but I think that's sort of what they were going with for the third season.  Frank really had no end game other than get to president and make a legacy for himself and he mistakenly believes as president he can just strong arm anything. 

I don't think the lack of cunning is uncharacteristic so much as they didn't showcase the reasons why well enough.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #91 on: July 20, 2015, 10:11:19 AM

Yeah, I think it is what they were going for, it just doesn't make for nearly as entertaining of a story as the first season gave us IMO. 

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #92 on: July 20, 2015, 11:45:21 AM

They're not doing a very good job of showing it, but it comes down to the attentional pyramid, aka the Prisoner/Guard asymmetry: Frank had an unlimited amount of time to plan and maneuver to create one unique moment, when the President would be forced to resign and Frank would become President. Now, he's the target of all that plotting, having to divide his attention between a wide spectrum of threats and in the process missing some because they aren't presenting themselves openly.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #93 on: July 20, 2015, 12:52:32 PM

Ehhh, that's giving him too much credit.  He's actively CREATING threats for himself by needlessly fucking over and alienating his allies.  In each case it's painfully obvious at the very instant he does it that it's going to bite him in the ass very soon and very hard. 

In the previous seasons he demonstrated a very keen understanding of how to manipulate people and the importance of getting people to do what you want them to do but think it was their idea, and all of that insight goes COMPLETELY out the window once he's sitting in the Oval Office.  It bugs me.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 20, 2015, 03:13:31 PM

Regardless of what they were trying to show, they didn't transition it at all which is the big part of the problem.  They did a real good job at making the end game of the last two seasons (becoming president) extremely well thought out, had him adaptable, and was good about not forecasting to the audience exactly what the end game was right away. 

Season 3 was full of stupid things like "lets do a complete 180 and drop out of the race, no one (audience or in show) will ever realize I'm plotting to actually run later on".  Going for the attentional pyramid issue would have been fine, they just could have done a hell of a lot better job showcasing that.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 20, 2015, 03:27:17 PM

My prediction: Season Four will show him pulling it out of the bag, and the story will be a lot more satisfying when seasons three and four are viewed as one story with the end of season three the mid-point.
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 16, 2015, 02:54:52 AM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #97 on: December 16, 2015, 06:57:24 PM

FU 2016.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 17, 2015, 02:20:39 AM

The show took on a little water last season so I hope they right the ship with the new season.  This show is very enjoyable and Frank is a great character.
*raps on table*

edit:  clarification
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:28:22 AM by Tannhauser »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 04, 2016, 11:01:00 PM

Season 4 is out.  I hope it is better than last season.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 07, 2016, 09:16:28 AM

The husband loves this show.  I wish I'd told him earlier that Netflix dropped the entire season at once, then we could have had a Netflix subscription way earlier than finally signing up this past weekend.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #101 on: March 11, 2016, 07:11:18 AM

It's better than last season.

Entertaining.

Can't stand the actor who plays the Republican nominee.

Edit: Conway.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 11, 2016, 09:09:20 AM

A lot better than season 3 and the ending was perfect to make me want to see the next season when it comes out (Netflix has announced that they will make season 5).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 11, 2016, 10:14:18 AM

You a mother fucker, Mr. President.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #104 on: March 18, 2016, 07:02:48 AM

I don't know...had a hard time making it through episode 1 of the new season. I'm rather tired of the distant stares of 'Jenny' and I just wasn't feeling it in general. Probably last season just leaving a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: House of Cards  
Jump to: