Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: House of Cards 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 36477 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:05 AM

In regards to your quote I'd say that while neither shows are "realistic", House of Cards maps more closely to what I imagine government to be like than West Wing.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 05:42:47 PM

I believe that was the author's point: Our national imagination of the corridors of power has mutated a bit since Sorkin's halcyon mythification of the Clinton Years.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 01:40:42 PM

Just started watching these and they are good. I'm only 2 episodes into the first season and I already want to gut Robin Wright's character like a fish.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 02:33:59 PM

Just started watching these and they are good. I'm only 2 episodes into the first season and I already want to gut Robin Wright's character like a fish.

Heh, you've seen nothing yet…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 02:37:05 PM

I'm starting to understand that this is a black satire not a "realistic" or "naturalistic" take on politics. It's just very very subtly done. Me likey.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 03:38:52 PM

Be sure to post here after the first season and after you see the first episode of the second.  *rubs hands together with evil glee*
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 05:25:04 PM

I'm starting to understand that this is a black satire not a "realistic" or "naturalistic" take on politics. It's just very very subtly done. Me likey.
I keep trying to compare it to the British original, and I can't figure out which is blacker. Ian Richardson is a lot more gleeful about his destruction, and his enemies were a lot more bumbling and less threatening. It certainly lightened the mood. That said, it made his wickedness more surprising in its depth and ferocity, and on the smaller national stage his efforts had more obvious personal effect. Different sorts of Satan.

In both cases the most disturbing observation I had was that if really government did work this way, it wouldn't look any different than it does now from where we voters and citizens sit.

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 05:47:52 PM

I liked the first season, but I think I'm done.

I don't hate Space for the reasons the show wants me to.  His smarmy over-the-top acting is grating, everyone on the show is a complete fucking moron, and the misdirections/double-reversals aren't that clever.

I wish this got cancelled, and Boss was still on.  Kelsey Grammer sold. that. shit.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 05:48:44 PM

At least watch the first episode of season 2. It's worth it.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 01, 2014, 10:25:27 PM

I liked the first season, but I think I'm done.

I don't hate Space for the reasons the show wants me to.  His smarmy over-the-top acting is grating, everyone on the show is a complete fucking moron, and the misdirections/double-reversals aren't that clever.

I wish this got cancelled, and Boss was still on.  Kelsey Grammer sold. that. shit.

Is this post from an alternate universe?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 02:53:41 PM

Finally finished watching the first season. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Spacey's accent is grating but at the same time fits the character so well. It's amazing how much he physically reminds me of Huckabee, though obviously the character is more of a Clinton Democrat than a Republican. I think I can see what Claire is going to do about the lawsuit in the 2nd season. I love the show's thrust - these are two amoral characters whose only aim is for power, and more of it. Yet they are constantly being dragged down by their own weaknesses and human failings. At first the 4th wall speaking to the camera thing bugged me, but by the end of the season I  saw it as kind of Shakespearean theatrical device, the modern day equivalent of a monologue.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 03:04:40 PM

I've never understood why Francis is a Democrat. It's just odd, particularly when you factor in where he's from and where Clarie's from. I was thinking they were trying to mirror current reality as of 2012, but the S2 central story just further muddies the waters that way.

That's really a minor nitpick though. S2 is almost uniformly awesome. I thought there was only one clunker episode and one truly wtf moment - you'll know it when you see it - embeded is a sea of holy crap, did that just happen?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 03:32:05 AM

Finally finished watching the first season. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Spacey's accent is grating but at the same time fits the character so well. It's amazing how much he physically reminds me of Huckabee, though obviously the character is more of a Clinton Democrat than a Republican. I think I can see what Claire is going to do about the lawsuit in the 2nd season. I love the show's thrust - these are two amoral characters whose only aim is for power, and more of it. Yet they are constantly being dragged down by their own weaknesses and human failings. At first the 4th wall speaking to the camera thing bugged me, but by the end of the season I  saw it as kind of Shakespearean theatrical device, the modern day equivalent of a monologue.

You haven't watched the original, eh ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 07:58:29 AM

one truly wtf moment

Meechum part?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 09:38:34 AM

I've never understood why Francis is a Democrat. It's just odd, particularly when you factor in where he's from and where Clarie's from. I was thinking they were trying to mirror current reality as of 2012, but the S2 central story just further muddies the waters that way.

The creator was on Colbert recently and he made mention of the fact they intentionally made him a Democrat. I forget what reason he gave, but I'd imagine if they made him Republican, people would think he's too cartoony because... well, RepublicansLOL. I think it's pretty clear he's put a good bit of Bill & Hillary Clinton into those characters.

And no, Ironwood, I haven't seen the original, but I might have to once I'm done with 2nd season.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 18, 2014, 10:03:32 AM

It's not like there aren't Democrats in congress every bit as conservative as him either. I think the show makes a good point about the Democratic Party.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 18, 2014, 10:47:41 AM

The creator was on Colbert recently and he made mention of the fact they intentionally made him a Democrat. I forget what reason he gave, but I'd imagine if they made him Republican, people would think he's too cartoony because... well, RepublicansLOL. I think it's pretty clear he's put a good bit of Bill & Hillary Clinton into those characters.

Francis is supposed to be a "blue dog" democrat. Yeah, they don't exist anymore, at least from the region of the country. But the show is alternate reality fantasy -- consider that, at least in S1, the Congress is actually effective at uniting and passing legislation :)

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 18, 2014, 11:52:35 AM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 18, 2014, 02:17:16 PM

I was tripping balls on that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 02:34:19 PM

Just got done watching the 1st episode of 2nd season. HOLY... FUCKBALLS.

Yep, I want to gut Claire even more now. And it's funny, I totally expected what would happen at the station but was still surprised they went there. Also, Cufflinks  DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 02:40:29 PM

Hehe Frank's quite the bastard eh?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:44 PM

That final scene of season 2 was so fucking awesome.  You knew, he knew and he was looking right at you to confirm it.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:23 AM

*Thoom Thoom*. Great way to end the season.

I have greatly enjoyed this series, with all its high moments and its flaws. The foreshadowing of Zoe's death from Freddy talking about the different methods of killing pigs was inspired, it didn't go unnoticed. Meechum ... yeah. The FU Cufflinks was great, it was when I first realized the significance of Underwood's name.

This is silly, but did anyone else think the frequency of shots of bare female feet was high? A Tarantino on the production staff? Women taking off their heels seemed to be a storytelling device in the series. *shrugs*
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 11, 2014, 12:50:37 PM

I didn't notice a lot of feet.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 11, 2014, 02:16:42 PM

Me either.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 12, 2014, 03:10:48 AM

Likely just me, then. I'm looking forward to Season 3 -- I hope they end it after that one.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #61 on: April 12, 2014, 09:25:49 AM

-Rasix
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 12, 2014, 11:56:27 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #63 on: April 17, 2014, 12:55:43 PM

Loved the second season.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 01:56:45 PM

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 17, 2014, 02:31:13 PM

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 17, 2014, 02:33:57 PM

Well so far it's not strayed particularly far from the main thrusts of the British original, so the third season will almost certainly be the last. The original was a trilogy, and FU's career ends there.

Serious spoilers exist in the original show. The shock at the beginning of the first episode of Season Two, for example, happened at the end of the first British series. All of the deaths. Don't go looking unless you want to know how everything ends, because it'll only be a surprise once. The American show has put a lot of its own spin on things, but the twists are more or less the same.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #67 on: February 27, 2015, 11:16:13 PM

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

In case you missed it, season 3 is out.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 28, 2015, 05:40:16 AM

The first five minutes are very House of Cards.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 01, 2015, 07:21:49 AM

Binge-watched the third season this weekend and I was rather disappointed how it failed to stand up to the previous seasons (in my opinion).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: House of Cards  
Jump to: