Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: House of Cards 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 36472 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

on: February 11, 2012, 05:41:19 AM

I stumbled across news today that Kevin Spacey is to star in an American remake of BBC serial House of Cards. Apparently it’s going to be distributed exclusively on Netflix at first.

I’ve no idea if it’s going to be any good but I thought I’d use the opportunity to recommend the original British version, for anyone who hasn’t seen it. It’s still fondly remembered as one of the best dramas the BBC has made, 20 years after first being broadcast, and is well worth getting your hands on.

House of Cards stars Sir Francis Urquhart as a senior but fairly low-profile member of the Government – a “backroom boy”. Following the resignation of the Prime Minister (apparently Margaret Thatcher), he schemes his way to the top, using blackmail, lies and murder to get there.

Urquhart (known as FU) is an old, patrician British Tory. He’s charming, witty and sees it all as a bit of a jolly game. You’re not sure whether to hate him or cheer him on, especially when he turns to the camera and confides his schemes to the viewer.

Watch as this old man has an affair with naïve young journalist Mattie Storin (Mattie: “I want to call you Daddy”). See him crush his enemies with a smile and wink, and murder one poor victim by lacing his cocaine with rat poison.

House of Cards is only four episodes long and tells a continuous story. It’s like a single four-hour drama. Somebody's stuck the first five minutes up on YouTube, which might be a good way of deciding whether it's for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSWrTG8sBRI

The sequel, called To Play the King, has him up against the monarch, clearly meant to be King Charles (following the apparent death of the Queen). Favourite characters in this one for me include Princess Charlotte, who seems to be based on Fergie.

The third series was called The Final Cut, and personally I thought it was a disappointment, although it does wrap up FU’s story nicely. However, that still leaves two great stories which are worth getting hold of.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:14 AM

Kevin Spacey is a good choice for this role. I also agree, the original got a bit long winded and stale towards the end. It sorta got too 'real'; you start to realize that countries are actually ruled by these carrion eaters.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:23:14 PM

My wife and I started watching this series on Netflix last week. It's pretty good, I like Kevin Spacey. Political drama, but pretty gritty. I like Spacey's character but on the other hand, some of the wheeling and dealing he does to get crap through Congress is really dickish.

Would recommend checking it out if you like political dramas and want something more interesting than network TV.

- Viin
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:06:30 PM

This is an excellent series.  I couldn't stop watching it.  I told my parents, they could stop watching it.  They even put up with each others company for 3 hours a day to watch it together, which is an impressive feat for 40 years marriage!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:50:39 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, caught the first few episodes last night and loved it. Kevin Spacey is fantastic as always; I don't really care for his wife but that's because she's just a little too...reluctant to be evil.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:25 AM

Both Spacey and Wright play absolutely despicable people.

Really enjoying the show.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:29:22 AM

Claire never seemed come together to be anything but filler.

Ending felt a little anti-climatic. But it was solid show, a must watch for anyone with Netflix.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:47:40 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:43:04 AM

Claire never seemed come together to be anything but filler.

Ending felt a little anti-climatic. But it was solid show, a must watch anyone with Netflix.

Whoa. That wasn't my impression at all. She's Bonnie to his Clyde.
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:59:40 AM

She is, but I never really cared about any of her problems.  I think they kind of didn't know what to do with her so they just booted her to a different city for a subplot that was more annoying than anything.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:54:59 AM

I agree about the ending being anti-climatic.  I really enjoyed the show, but when it ended I was like "wait, that was the last episode?"

It really didn't end any differently than any other episode.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 09:07:15 AM

The climax was episode 11 really.  The conflict with the billionaire lacked gravitas mainly because he came out of no where and the "A" plot was much more interesting.

"Me am play gods"
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 07:52:29 AM

I love how this ended.  Fantastic show.

I have never played WoW.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 02:11:39 PM

I really enjoyed this show and look forward to next season.  I don't think they knew what to do with Claire either.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:33 AM

Are they planning another season? I assumed this was a one off.

I have never played WoW.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 07:58:02 AM

Yes, there is going to be another season.  I thought it was pretty clear from the ending that they were hoping for a second season.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 09:29:35 PM

Due to Air Canada's very excellent in flight entertainment system I just watched the first three episodes of this and will finish the season on my next flight. Fantastic series, I'd say as good as the original but that was 20? Years ago I watched that.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 08:15:18 PM

Trailer for Season 2 is up on Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBabKoHSErI
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 11:07:16 AM

Woo!  Can't wait to binge watch this dastardly political series!  Do NOT fuck with the Underwoods!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 04:45:44 PM

Is the whole second season going to be released together, or is Netflix doing it episodically? I was a bit late to the party on season 1 so I'm not sure how they usually release things.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 05:01:16 PM

Is the whole second season going to be released together, or is Netflix doing it episodically? I was a bit late to the party on season 1 so I'm not sure how they usually release things.

All at once (again) on Valentine's Day.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 03:11:02 PM

Just watched the first episode of the new season and HOLY SHIT!  So tremendously entertaining, you have to watch this show. 
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 03:57:28 PM

Just watched the first episode of the new season and HOLY SHIT!  So tremendously entertaining, you have to watch this show. 

This is what's on tap for us tonight! Some takeout & House of Cards season 2…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 04:12:11 PM

Agreed. Woah. Even Claire was entertaining in the first episode. 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 09:12:36 PM

ACK!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:40 PM

"We have over 9000 servers here..."  why so serious?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 03:31:56 AM

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 04:27:16 AM

(S2 E1 Spoilers)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 09:34:32 AM

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:36:21 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 10:32:14 AM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 11:32:23 AM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 10:01:09 PM

Finished season 2. Hell of a ride, and it's going to be a long wait until next year. End season spoilers below, read at your own risk.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 07:50:33 AM

Just finished it.  Great season of backstabbing, maneuvering, lies, power and money. 

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:55 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 12:04:11 PM

Agree re: McPoyle.   awesome, for real

I finished the last ep this morning because I passed out last night while trying to finish the season before bed.  Gonna be another long wait for the next season.

I might need to go back and rewatch the whole series so I can try to figure out how much was planned vs improved vs luck.  The series title is VERY apt.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 02:40:15 PM

Finished this [S2] last night.

Overall, I liked it -- Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright (who excels more so than Spacey IMV) are fantastic and even if the show spirals downward in S3 (and/or S4 and on) it will be quality viewing just with their presence. Enjoyed it even if the plot line is now gone beyond far fetched.

Some notes:

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: House of Cards  
Jump to: