Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing  (Read 102283 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #280 on: September 03, 2015, 05:48:09 AM

Bought 500 Fireeye + 100 Netflix.  Hooray downturn!  Also some other semi-random shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #281 on: October 15, 2015, 09:58:35 AM

Do please keep posting your progress.  It will be hilarious.

DOW's back over 17000 again. I was about 45 days off of my September projection  awesome, for real

Current investments are fine but I'm probably going to cash out some of them soon and reallocate to some more conservative stuff until the rate hike in December.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: October 15, 2015, 12:22:52 PM

You should totally put it all in 10 year T-Notes right about now.

- Viin
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #283 on: October 21, 2015, 07:58:47 AM

Well, the crowded trade that is Valeant has come crashing down. The shares were $260 in early August and are trading at $115 today after a short selling newsletter called it the next Enron. If you look at the 13F report, as of June 30, Valeant was owned heavily by some of the best firms in the business: Lone Pine, Viking, Pershing Square, et al.

I hope you all were spared.

I have never played WoW.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #284 on: October 21, 2015, 08:37:16 AM

Seems I was, but thanks for prompting me to look at all the red on my sheets. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #285 on: November 11, 2015, 05:37:48 AM

I sold off almost everything in my holding portfolio and I'm planning to reallocate before the end of the year. I wanted to trigger all the gains/losses in the current year, and I'm wary of holding any bigger plays as we head into December where we may see the interest rate hike finally happen. Portfolio in total was up 10% on the year.

In that regard, I'm looking towards banking stocks as the next play over the next 2 years as rates go up, and real estate building is increasing. But not longer than that. I think we're due for another overbuild situation after 2017.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #286 on: November 11, 2015, 08:21:30 AM

We're already in an overbuild situation in some sectors. Some national RMU developers we work with put projects on hold because they're still waiting to lease out the projects we completed in the past two years.

The portfolio you're talking about is post-tax income distributions, right? The one I'm playing with most often is an old rollover so I don't think I have to worry about the gains/ losses side of things until I'm old and retiring. So another 30 years or so. :P

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #287 on: November 11, 2015, 08:26:07 AM

Is someone going to seriously argue that we are not headed to another overbuild?  I remember hearing that a major component of the US economy is/was new housing, which tells me that lots of scum are interested in doing that shit again.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #288 on: November 11, 2015, 08:40:28 AM

The national HBA is blind to overbuild concerns. They were, at the bottom of the market, still selling the line that there were underserved places ALL OVER and we had to 'just keep building.'

They'd cite national numbers of "households created" vs. "saleable units" and would look correct because of it. Ignoring that those households were often created in poor/ lower-middle neighborhoods where people can't afford the $250k margin price of a 4 person home. 

The solution there, you see, is for RICH people to buy a new home and then the used-home market trickles down to the poor people. Eventually..

It's fucking maddening.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #289 on: November 11, 2015, 09:48:35 AM

Planning on neighborhoods sliding downward in economic terms?  Then gentrifying those when they bottom out?  Delicious.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #290 on: November 11, 2015, 10:28:34 AM

No, Gentrifying is what landlords and the Real Estate agents group want.

The NAHB would much rather you bulldoze the entire thing and start over.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #291 on: November 11, 2015, 11:09:00 AM

Is someone going to seriously argue that we are not headed to another overbuild?  I remember hearing that a major component of the US economy is/was new housing, which tells me that lots of scum are interested in doing that shit again.

No it's a question of when. It's also a question of when the China bubble bursts for good and where you want to be standing.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #292 on: November 11, 2015, 01:46:20 PM

I thought gentrifying involved bulldozing, but maybe it works differently in urban areas.  In suburbia, they are building enormous things on tiny lots and Ye Olde Ranch doesn't cut it.

But if I was smart about this, I'd be rich already.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #293 on: November 11, 2015, 01:59:27 PM

Gentrifying can involve bulldozing in the late stages, but the initial stages are focused on remodeling existing properties. By the time the bulldozers are clearing entire blocks for luxury condos, the original inhabitants are generally already priced out.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #294 on: November 24, 2015, 11:06:02 AM

FWIW, I think the really bad news and serious financial danger facing Volkswagen has passed (or been pushed so far into the future so as not to be a big deal.) The shares should slowly creep back up to the mid 30s.

I have never played WoW.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #295 on: December 24, 2015, 05:51:48 AM

I feel dirty. I have this urge to invest in Comcast because the CEO is floating the idea of doing away with unlimited data usage on Cable as well as wireless. This is a ridiculous and abhorrent idea to the technologist in me.

However, the capitalist knows that 1) Lawmakers are technology-stupid when not outright technophobes and they WILL fall for the "data is like electricity and gas" idiocy. 2) there will be nothing to stop him from doing it other than his board. This will lead to megabux for Comcast if it happens and I want a piece of it.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: December 24, 2015, 11:40:55 PM

I feel dirty. I have this urge to invest in Comcast because the CEO is floating the idea of doing away with unlimited data usage on Cable as well as wireless. This is a ridiculous and abhorrent idea to the technologist in me.

However, the capitalist knows that 1) Lawmakers are technology-stupid when not outright technophobes and they WILL fall for the "data is like electricity and gas" idiocy. 2) there will be nothing to stop him from doing it other than his board. This will lead to megabux for Comcast if it happens and I want a piece of it.

I mean yea, how else will you pay for your cable subscription?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #297 on: December 25, 2015, 03:21:34 AM

Internet fees, duh.  awesome, for real

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #298 on: December 25, 2015, 04:28:08 PM

Just remember that Comcast wants to do this to offset the decline in TV subscribers so it won't be pure new profit. I agree, though, that the combination will be higher revenues than today at least to start.

I have never played WoW.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #299 on: December 30, 2015, 07:21:37 PM

Again, it's also not the cable side I'm looking at.

In many, many places Comcast or Time Warner are still the only viable broadband internet providers many places. While there may be plenty of cord-cutters and cord-nevers out there, but the cable companies still have a stranglehold on the infrastructure for broadband. Until that's seized by the government, well, they've got plenty of space to make-up revenue.

Sure Google is building gigabit networks and there's fiber options like Fioptics and the Verizon version of it, but those are still very limited in service areas. You're not going to see them in rural areas or outside of major beltways for some years yet.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #300 on: January 13, 2016, 12:54:19 PM

If the slide continues below 15,500 I'm buying in again in increments. I'm already eyeing COSTCO stock again which I sold for $160 last month, and it's dipping below $150. At $145, I think it's a steal.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #301 on: January 14, 2016, 06:41:22 AM

My ignorance in the finance field is being actively exposed.  I'm letting my guy do the stuff.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #302 on: January 14, 2016, 10:05:04 AM

I think we are very close to the bottom in the energy stocks but don't go shopping in the low quality names. Actual bankruptcies are always less than everyone fears but dilutive equity raises could be common. I hesitate to give actual names but PM me if you want. This is a sentiment call much more than a prediction that oil prices rise. I have no idea where oil will be in 6-12 months.

I have never played WoW.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #303 on: January 14, 2016, 05:21:09 PM

I always feel dirty buying BP or Exxon stock.  But now's probably a good time.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:01 PM

I think we are very close to the bottom in the energy stocks but don't go shopping in the low quality names. Actual bankruptcies are always less than everyone fears but dilutive equity raises could be common. I hesitate to give actual names but PM me if you want. This is a sentiment call much more than a prediction that oil prices rise. I have no idea where oil will be in 6-12 months.
A friend of mine works for a fairly large chemical company, and I've been eyeballing their stock. They've been sliding for a good time now, and frankly they're somewhere between a quarter and half of what they're probably worth long-term.

I wish I had the spare cash right now to invest in it. It's a solid company, it's getting hammered on for fairly general market-based reasons (well, and one poorly thought out acquisition that they're already moving to sell off), but they're a solid long-term company. If I had 10k or so, I'd probably plug it in and ignore it for four or five years.

Instead, I'm paying off medical bills...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #305 on: January 15, 2016, 06:37:58 AM

Yes.  I mean, I'm not because I already have enough in energy (and it's mostly pipeline companies, fuck watching barrel prices), but someone is going to win the game and it might as well be you.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #306 on: January 15, 2016, 08:28:17 AM

Don't forget XLE - large energy company ETF. It actually has a higher dividend yield than Exxon these days.

I have never played WoW.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #307 on: January 15, 2016, 09:59:39 AM

Hmmm, I might be buying that today.  I forget what I authorized but that sounds familiar.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #308 on: January 19, 2016, 11:43:37 AM

COSTCO is about at the point I'd jump on it. Just saying.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #309 on: January 20, 2016, 08:01:51 AM

I bought Costco today at $147. The DOW is just freefalling. If it continues to go down I'll dollar cost average my COSTCO buys as it goes.

I also picked up some more Coke stock.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: January 20, 2016, 08:54:17 AM

awesome, for real

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #311 on: January 20, 2016, 08:58:00 AM

I bought Costco today at $147. The DOW is just freefalling. If it continues to go down I'll dollar cost average my COSTCO buys as it goes.

They had a 7% drop last year and people are worried the current rebrand "all as one" attempt won't work for them.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #312 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:55 AM

Maybe, but I'm not heavily leveraged in Coke, and they've weathered this kind of thing before. There have been diet or backlashes to sugary drinks for the last 30 years. They keep on rolling.

Right now they are relatively even over the last 3 years with a good dividend at over 3%. So I'm comfortable in a not too big position on them.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #313 on: January 20, 2016, 09:40:34 AM

Why do people delude yourselves this way? You're not automagically reducing the price you already paid. Even if you accept that bit of book-keeping sleight of hand, it means that you are overpaying for the new shares (by attaching the earlier loss to them).

You made an investment, the stock went down. You still think the stock is going to go up, so you are buying more. Why can't you just call it that?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #314 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:35 AM

It just means you're taking a total holding and establishing a value to them in an average, then deciding at a point in the future what value you are willing to sell on that meets your expectation on that average.

It's not delusion, it's simply a way of assessing your total holding value.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing  
Jump to: