Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 NBA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 NBA  (Read 83639 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 11:18:46 AM

Wait, what? Ron Artest changed his name to... METTA WORLD PEACE? SERIOUSLY?

Delicious, isn't it?  The guy that started a raging brawl in Indianapolis and got suspended for a year because of it named himself World Peace.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 08:53:29 AM

Greg Oden = Sam Bowie = done at a young age

This guy just can't catch a break.  I think he could have gone down as one of the all time defensive/rebounding greats if his legs would have held up.  I guess that his acromegaly just wouldn't let him function correctly.  It's a pretty sad story, really. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 10:35:49 AM

His career was over in 2007. People tried to say he could come back, but the reality is that one the knees become an issue for anybody that early who is 7ft? Game over.

That being said, it was still a stupid pick by Portland from the standpoint that even if he does work out, centers are getting marginalized in the NBA. The game is about power forwards and guards now, and has been for the last 5 years. Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, and Tony Parker are what you need to win championships.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 02:42:41 PM

His career was over in 2007. People tried to say he could come back, but the reality is that one the knees become an issue for anybody that early who is 7ft? Game over.

That being said, it was still a stupid pick by Portland from the standpoint that even if he does work out, centers are getting marginalized in the NBA. The game is about power forwards and guards now, and has been for the last 5 years. Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, and Tony Parker are what you need to win championships.

None of those are power forwards.  Dirk may be listed as one, but he plays as a small forward. 

The game has been about shooting guards and small forwards since showtime and the Bird Era Celtics.  Shaq, Duncan and Olajuwan were the only centers to be really showcased in taking their teams to the finals, and Clyde Drexler and Koby were key components of those teams.  In the case of Shaq/Koby I would argue that Koby was the reason they won the last two titles when they were together.  I would also argue that if you don't have a super competitive, dead eye two guard you're stretching to win a title (even if it's just a guy that gets hot for the series, as Jason Terry showed us  last year).  Tim Duncan is really the only center that has willed his team to wins almost by himself, and I'm not even sure he's a true center.  The true center is a dead position.

A great example of what you need is Westbrook/Durant.  I think those guys have got it going on and will win some titles soon.  I like their chances almost as much as Lebron/Wade.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:19 PM

99-00 playoffs:

Shaq 30.7ppg 15.4rpg 3.1apg 56.6% eFG 30.5PER  0.224 win shares / 48
Kobe 21.1ppg 4.5rpg 4.5apg 47% eFG 19.3PER 0.116 win shares / 48

Between Nowitzk (and Chandler's defensive aptitude), Gasol, Garnett, the Wallaces, Duncan and Shaq I don't see how this is a small man's game. Things have changed but teams are still needing the best big men to win. Howard should really be included on that list, the Magic have had some really crap squads.

Nowitzki is still a PF, he's the 4th player, guards an opposing PF/C and spends a lot of his time in the post (esp. the high post). He just represents an evolution of the position where a big man who can shoot and drive will take advantage of a mismatch.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 07:24:01 AM

Posting up does not make one a power forward.  Michael Jordan was one of the best post up players to ever play the game.  Same for Kobe Bryant.  Neither does who you guard make you a power forward.  Nowitzki handles the ball a lot for that team. 
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 07:37:20 AM

So what does make a modern power forward then? Nowitzki is not the only 4 who possesses these skills; Odom, Garnett, Love, Gasol and others do as well. His flexibility and ability to stretch the floor shows off his versatility and the changes in the PF position.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 07:54:25 AM

So what does make a modern power forward then? Nowitzki is not the only 4 who possesses these skills; Odom, Garnett, Love, Gasol and others do as well. His flexibility and ability to stretch the floor shows off his versatility and the changes in the PF position.

I would call Garnett and Odom more tall small forwards.  Love and Gasol are almost purely paint players and don't handle the ball a lot.  They are more of the traditional, yet highly skilled, power forward model. 

And Nowitski, Garnett and Odom aren't the "point forwards" of the past.  They don't distribute the ball.

Probably the most interesting name to me out right now is Lebron.  He's become much more of a paint player this year. 

The 2-4 positions have become so blurred due to the insane athleticism that some of these guys have.  The 2 and 3 positions are almost interchangeable.  The 3 and 4 positions not so much, but for guys like Nowitski, Garnett and Odom the overall play isn't that much different, they just take good advantage of their height.  Overall it makes for a very exciting brand of basketball.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:01 AM

My point is that the distinction is blurring, and that modern power forwards possess many of the skills that used to mainly be the domain of the outside players. This doesn't mean that those players are small forwards, it means that the power forward position itself has changed.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 08:13:14 AM

Yes, but you're still lumping them into a category primarily because of their size, not because of how they play.  Dirk is less of an outside player than he was during the first five years of his career, but his overall play matches that of many small forwards. 

How about this?  How about we call him a "forward" like the NBA page does, instead of lumping him into one distinction or another?   awesome, for real
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 08:27:01 AM

It looks like Rajon Rondo is officially on the trading block

I can't help but believe that this guy will really, really help a quality team.  He's a regular with triple doubles.  But he seems like a real head case.  He butted heads with his college coach and now he's having trouble with Rivers.  If you put him on the Lakers you've got a contender again, in my opinion.  He might be a decent choice for the Spurs as well.  Popavich seems to do well with head cases. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:44 AM

The Celtics want to trade their youngest good player?  swamp poop

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 11:17:45 AM

That is what I see as well, Ingmar.  There has to be a reason for it.  First, I don't think Rondo is quite the player to build a team around.  He's not going to carry a team like Durant or Lebron.  Second, he's had a reputation for being quite the head case.  That deal throwing the ball at the referee has been blown a bit out of proportion, but it shows a hot headed nature that I'm sure exists more in the locker room than we see here.  I have some first hand accounts of his behavior at Kentucky and, while he wasn't a complete idiot, he didn't take well to coaching there either. 

Interestingly, he's apparently an avid roller skater. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:11 PM

The Celtics are getting ready to blow this thing up, imo. They are old as hell, and they don't like their young players (see Rondo). They want to dump salary, get some trade value and work through the draft to get some better picks.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:23 PM

Honestly they should dump everyone but KG.  He's a great player as a veteran, and I think would be a nice role model for a younger player that wanted to come in and work. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 08:46:03 AM

Mike D'Antoni has "lost" the Knicks' locer room.  

Now really, who didn't see this coming once Carmelo Anthony came back from his injury.  The Knicks need to get rid of Anthony quickly, if they can.  Or just bench his ass and let him ride out the rest of his contract.  D'Antoni's system will work, when the players actually run it.  Anthony has ridden his national title to a well paid, yet lazily enacted, career.  

Management, the coaching staff and the players know Anthony is hurting the offense and in turn, the defensive morale, according to the sources. While D'Antoni's offense calls for Anthony to plant himself on the wing at the 3-point line, he often creeps in to his favorite spot in the floor -- the area between the elbow, the arc and the post. That kills the Knicks' ability to run the high pick-and-roll and ruins the spacing that is so critical to D'Antoni's offense.

"That's at the very core of our problem," one person close to the situation said. "That messes up the fluidity of the offense. Melo could do it, but he's got to trust the offense."

I wonder who that "one person" close to the situation is?  

And now apparently Dantoni has resigned.  I can't believe that, in a Dantoni versus Melo drama, Anthony isn't the one being shown the door. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:59:59 AM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:32 PM

Oy, Knicks.  Facepalm

To go from Linsanity to this in such a short time is lulzworthy. Talk about blowing a huge opportunity because you have one guy on the team that's a total shithead.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 12:19:14 PM

I don't know what to think about the Warriors trade. I'm kind of inclined to think we somehow managed to not get value back for one of the most overrated players in the game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 12:59:45 PM

Bogut is a decent inside presence when healthy.  He can get you 14 and 10 on a given night which is much better than the deadweight Kwame Brown.  But then again, he's not healthy.  I'm not, and never have been, a big Ellis fan.  I'm also not, and never have been, a huge Stephen Jackson fan.  He can score in droves but he's a locker room cancer and doesn't play defense unless he's super happy.  

I call it a lateral move, at best.  

Actually, I do see a positive-  this frees up a lot of time for Klay Thompson, who I really, really like.  He's a good player, plays defense, has good size and can shoot the ball.  He was the player of the future at that position anyway, really. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:02:21 PM by ghost »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 01:05:53 PM

Oy, Knicks.  Facepalm

To go from Linsanity to this in such a short time is lulzworthy. Talk about blowing a huge opportunity because you have one guy on the team that's a total shithead.

I don't even follow basketball, especially the NBA, and I KNEW this shit would happen. Lin's point totals go down because he's dishing the rock more and Melo gets pissy because he suddenly isn't the focus of the offense anymore. Boo fucking hoo. You'd think he'd be happy that someone on the team can actually register an assist.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #55 on: March 14, 2012, 01:23:16 PM

Anthony has ridden the success of that 2003 NCAA tournament his entire career.  The guy is a locker room cancer, a prima dona, and doesn't play a lick of defense.  The Knicks get everything they deserve for signing this slug and would do well to trade him ASAP.  I would also advise trading Lin while the goods are still hot.  I don't think he'll be able to swing it in most offenses.  He was made to play for Dantoni.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #56 on: March 14, 2012, 01:39:14 PM

In other NBA news, it looks as if Howard has finally pissed the Magic ownership off enough to move him

Convinced that Howard, on the advice of his agent, is trying to manipulate the situation, the Magic are telling teams they will trade Howard before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline if he does not commit to them beyond this season, league sources said.

I think they should unload him soon.  There's no way that he sticks there after this year.  The Orlando Magic-  where young Centers go to die. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 01:53:30 PM

In other NBA news, it looks as if Howard has finally pissed the Magic ownership off enough to move him

Convinced that Howard, on the advice of his agent, is trying to manipulate the situation, the Magic are telling teams they will trade Howard before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline if he does not commit to them beyond this season, league sources said.

I think they should unload him soon.  There's no way that he sticks there after this year.  The Orlando Magic-  where young Centers go to die. 

And now it looks like he might opt in for the final year of this contract.  Fuck, stop playing with my emotions Dwight!  We beat Chicago Indiana and Miami this week, we play San Antonio tonight and the team is on a roll.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 02:04:35 PM

I wish he would stay in Orlando, too.  It could be a nice team if they would pony up for a decent PG and small forward/SG
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 02:19:21 PM

The owner is very willing to pony up for whatever the front office can get but once you get in the cycle of being a quite not good enough to win it team there is really very little you can do to bring in better talent, you take risks in order to get over that last hunch (vince carter, jason richardson) that come saddled with bad contracts because absorbing those is the only thing you can offer.  If Howard does opt in though they have a ton of cap space for next year so they should be able to get another star and convince both of them to stay.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:22:33 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 02:29:08 PM

They should have gone after a better point guard years ago.  It was clear even in the 2009 finals that Jameer Nelson wasn't going to cut it long term.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 03:25:41 PM

I dunno, if Jameer doesn't wreck the Heat last night Howard might have been gone already.  He was injured that year and should never have played in the finals, but he got selected to the all star game.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 03:32:08 PM

Don't put too much stock in his offensive numbers (which are way down this year anyway), but he has always been a huge defensive liability.  He's way too short to guard anyone, really, and it shows when you play a top level PG.  They should have at least gotten a good defensive minded guard that could spell him at times. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 06:17:10 PM

And now he is leaving again, god damnit i can't wait until tomorrow.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 07:18:21 PM

He's gone.  All this stuff now is just showboating and trying to piss off the Magic into trading him this year.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:11 AM

He doesn't wanna be traded at all.  He wants to go on a playoff run with Orlando rather than sit at home a year of his prime, he wants to join a New Jersey team with a lottery pick and lots of trade assets instead of a completely gutted team of just him and Deron.  Best situation for him would be for orlando to try to keep him, the problem with that is that not gutting new jersey just makes it a much more appealing destination.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:59 AM

So were the Knicks just tanking to get rid of D'Antony?

I am the .00000001428%
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:37 PM

Well, they played well for him when Anthony was injured.  Then Anthony comes back and they stink again.  Then D'Antoni leaves and they're good again.  Maybe it was D'Antoni that was tanking for Carmelo?

Then again, it seems a common theme in sports that when the old coach goes out, the team is suddenly invigorated, wanting to prove something for themselves and their new boss.  At the end of the day, Carmelo Anthony is still a giant douche and therefore the Knicks can fuck themselves.  Lin is the only reason this team is a little interesting, and he has been forced to fade into the background to make room for Carmelo's giant douchiness.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 30, 2012, 05:22:55 PM

While Jeremy Lin is tearing it up in NYC Stephon Maybury just took his bottom of the barre Chinese basketball team to championship, and after averaging 33 pts and like 6 assist in the finals and scoring 40 in the deciding game he couldn't win the MVP because its for chinese only.  Nice to see him doing good though.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 07:16:19 AM

Don't look now, but Rajon Rondo and the Celtics are starting to heat up

This shortened season could play into their hands very well, what with the ancient creaking bones and all.  They've struggled with injuries in prior years and the shorter year could keep them healthy enough to make a deep run in the playoffs.  When healthy they can still be deadly, as seen in this beatdown of the Heat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 NBA  
Jump to: