Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 NBA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 NBA  (Read 83637 times)
ghost
The Dentist

on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:02 AM

Now that the season's finally underway it appears that it is going to be a good one.  The offseason trades have made things interesting, and a lot of the younger teams are finally coming into their own.

Several teams are very good and were expected to be very good:
1.  Chicago
2.  Orlando
3.  Miami

I think Miami will eventually pull through in the Southeast and win the title.  Lebron is playing lights out and I really like the fact that he's stepped up his inside game.  And grown a beard.  Oddly, they may be better without Wade playing.....Orlando will go as far as Howard takes them.  I'm never confident in a center leading a team to the title, however, and don't expect big things of this team.  Chicago has an intriguing mix.  I'm not sure they have enough off of Rose, particularly at the 2/3 position to win it. 

A couple of younger teams have finally hit their stride and look to be contenders at least for their divisions:
1.  Oklahoma City
2.  Indiana
3.  Atlanta
4.  Clippers
5.  Denver
6.  Philadelphia

I don't really expect any of these teams to contend for the title other than Oklahoma City.  They have a very good team, but the Northwest division is tougher than it might look on paper.  Indiana is an enigma.  I just can't figure out why they're playing well, and I certainly don't expect this to last the year.  Atlanta probably won't make the playoffs but do have that capability.  They're just stuck in a tough division.  The Clippers should win the Pacific, but you just can't discount the Lakers and Kobe.  Denver being good doesn't make any sense to me.  I don't think they'll have the staying power.  Same with Philadelphia.  They have a very mediocre looking roster, on paper.  Maybe they have some great teamwork, but I don't expect it to continue long term. 

A few teams have gotten so old that I've written them off, even if they may contend for their division title:
1.  San Antonio
2.  Lakers
3.  Phoenix
4.  Boston

I really, really don't like this Boston team (and they're MY team).  Rondo is a beast, but he can't be the go to scorer.  It's tough when you have a guy like him that is capable of a triple double on any night and you have trouble winning.  That means he needs a new surrounding cast.  The Lakers will probably come in second in their division and will almost certainly make the playoffs, but I'll be very surprised if they make a run in the playoffs.  I suspect that Bynum may be traded before the year is out, possibly for Howard.  That would be the only trade that would make sense for Bynum, and I'm not sure why they aren't using him as their number 2 option at this point.  He's got a lot of talent too.  Phoenix is over, Nash is getting close to retirement necessity.  The Spurs are the same as the Suns.  They may actually win their division too, but it's a weak division and I don't see them putting together a playoff run.

Then there are the duds:
1.  New York Knickerbockers
2.  Portland
3.  Dallas

It really, really makes me happy that Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony suck.  It shouldn't surprise anyone because that duo won't guard a stop sign.  They could, but they just won't.  I hope they lose every game as those are two of my least favorite players.  Portland should be better than they're showing.  They have a lot of young talent that is very good.  Maybe Brandon Roy being MIA has hurt them more than I expected.  Dallas should be better than this as well. It's shocking to see them in such a pitiful state.  I like Nowitzki, but this may be it for them as well. 

Here's a couple of teams that may make a move as the season progresses:
1.  Milwaukee
2.  Minnesota
3.  Sacramento

Milwaukee has a great little nucleus with Bogut, Jennings, etc. but I'm just not sold on Jennings.  He's a little too unpredictable and reminds me of OJ Mayo- not a guy to build your team around.  I AM a big fan of Minnesota, however.  I love Kevin Love  awesome, for real, and Ricky Rubio could be the real deal if he could just hit a few shots.  They've shown the ability to beat tough teams, and with a little gelling this may be a team that sneaks into the playoffs.  Sacramento is even more talented, on paper, that the Wolves.  Tyreke Evans may not be a true PG, but he does well enough and Demarcus Cousins has a ton of talent, if he can keep his head screwed on straight.  I think the problem there was Paul Westhead, who I just can't understand how he gets hired.  He's a complete clusterfuck and the Kings seem to be doing much better since he left. 

So my prediction to win the title is Miami.  I think this is Lebron's year, and everyone else seems so unsettled.  They have the team to take down Chicago and I don't see any other real competition for them in the Eastern Conference.  The Western Conference should be won by either the Clippers or the Thunder.  I'm going to go out on a limb and take the Thunder (It's not too big of a limb as the Western Conference seems particularly weak this year).
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:36:02 PM

I don't think Orlando belongs up there in the top three sure contenders category, Oklahoma does though.  And it's not because of the embarrassing loss we took yesterday, we are just not that good a team.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:11:23 AM

Yeah, Oklahoma City is definitely on the verge of being in the contenders.  I was hesitant to put them up there just yet due to the youth factor, but should probably go ahead and do it.  Orlando won't be up there at the end of the year, not because they aren't good but because Howard won't be there.  I can almost guarantee he will be traded, probably to the Lakers.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:19:13 AM

I liked Atlanta a lot before the Horford injury. However, if they can continue what they are doing AND get him back for the playoffs, I think they can make a run.

Now they just need to keep Josh Smith from jacking up 18 footers at the worst possible times.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 06:47:41 AM

Atlanta has a very good chance to win a couple of series in the playoffs, and even make it to the final four.  I don't see them winning the whole thing, however.  I think this is Lebron's year.  I personally think they should think about trading Wade for Howard.  I don't know if the numbers would work, but wouldn't that be a blockbuster?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:53:26 AM

Well they are leading their division without their top center, so I think Atlanta is playing above their heads atm.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:22:00 AM

Of those wins, 3 are against New Jersey, 2 against Charlotte and 1 against the Wizards, Cleveland and Minnesota.   Ohhhhh, I see.

They did split with the Heat, however, and played them very tough (OT) in the game they lost, so maybe they're better than I'm giving them credit for.  That is the toughest division this year, by far.  They are getting ready to hit a road stretch and then a much tougher part of the schedule.  That will be where we really see what they are about.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:19:36 PM

Yeah, Oklahoma City is definitely on the verge of being in the contenders.  I was hesitant to put them up there just yet due to the youth factor, but should probably go ahead and do it.  Orlando won't be up there at the end of the year, not because they aren't good but because Howard won't be there.  I can almost guarantee he will be traded, probably to the Lakers.

My guess is New Jersey blinks first because they have a lot more to lose.  Brooks Lopez, Marshon Brooks, a lottery pick and houstons mid teens pick would actually not be a bad haul for howard.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:44:24 PM

I'm not sold on Howard.  Of course, I'm not sold on any center bringing home a title unless it's Shaq, and even then he had to have some pretty damned talented help with Koby. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 07:11:15 PM

Howard is not going to bring you a title by himself, what he does is turn a team with players like Jameer Nelson and Hedo Turkoglu into a defensive powerhouse.  That team has never had another good defender on it and yet it is always near the top in team defense.  He also simply does not get tired ever and does not miss games.  You still need a go to scorer of all star caliber to go with him.  Simply surrounding him with three point shooters like Orlando has tried to do for so long is not reliable enough to win it all, they can shoot themselves to the finals or shoot themselves out of the first round.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:24 PM

Fucking crazy ass Jeremy Lin dropped 38 on the Lakers tonight to bring his four game average up to 28.5 ppg.  Before that he barely had gotten into any games.  In January he averaged about 9 minutes and 5.5 ppg.  Funny to think he was a Harvard grad, so didn't even get a scholarship to play in college.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 05:54:56 AM

Hawks took the Magic to the wire and then won in OT, despite some very very bad officiating in favor of Dwight. I honestly blame their coaching a lot for why they panic down the stretch.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 07:09:37 AM

People keep comparing Lin to Tebow because they are both devout christians forgetting the fact that Lin is winning because he is kicking fucking ass, not sucking and winning anyways.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 09:01:23 AM

He's also not proselytizing by means of his sport, either.  At least as far as I know. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:50:53 AM

He's also non-denominational rather than a near-snake handlers, so there's that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 11:19:46 AM

I consider them all bugfuck crazy. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 05:38:26 PM

Best quote so far:

"Only in the NBA would the success of an Asian with economics degree from Harvard be a surprise."

I am the .00000001428%
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 12:10:49 AM

This Lin thing is a pretty fantastic story.  Apparently, nobody has ever scored more points in his first three starts?  That's insane.  And then he drops 38 on Kobe and the Lakers?

Of course, the media will probably beat us to death with him. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 01:47:20 AM

And then he drops 38 on Kobe Derek Fisher and the Lakers?

I think that explains everything  awesome, for real
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:28 AM

Kobe made it clear before that game that he wasn't impressed by the upstart and was going to deal with him.  He didn't exactly lay down the gauntlet (though he has now), but still.  He doesn't like leaving MSG of all places in that fashion.  So I leave my comment as it was.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 02:19:58 AM

I didn't watch the game so I don't know what actually happened and who was guarding who, etc.

I was just making a comment on the odd number of point guards who play like All-stars against the Lakers.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 08:05:10 AM

I was loving the compressed scheduled when the season began but the quality of basketball has really suffered and there are way too many injuries.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 09:00:14 AM

I think we can probably blame the fact that most of these guys were snorting coke off of hookers' asses in the offseason this year instead of training.  Plus there was no pre-season to get detoxed.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 12:54:11 PM

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 01:06:35 PM

With all that flopping you'd think that Duke players would be better in the NBA
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 07:00:43 PM

I stopped paying attention to the NBA once LeBron left Cleveland but Jeremy Lin has me watching again. I don't care about the Knicks at all but I'll root for that guy.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 08:04:16 PM

How could you not pull for the guy?  It's an amazing story.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:34 PM

And he did it again, apparently.  Sinks a game winning 3 with half a second remaining.  They've won six in a row now.  What the hell do they need with Carmelo Anthony anyway?

I hate the Knicks, but I can't help but root for this guy.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 04:34:07 AM

I personally think they would be better off without Anthony.  He has never been a guy that really elevates his team. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:04 AM

Offer Melo and Chandler for Howard, win championships.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 09:14:25 AM

Players at the 2-3 position typically are your championship cogs, not centers.  Howard isn't Shaquille Oneal, and I doubt he would put this team over the top.  Melo could be that guy if he wasn't a fat, lazy piece of shit that won't play defense. 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 09:20:12 AM

I have to wonder if the turnovers in Lin's game are a deficiency or just a product of being asked to a lot in very little time.  Still, great story and something to make the NBA season for me worth following.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 09:34:21 AM

The high turnover rate could also be influence by the fact that the team around him is absolutely terrible, for the most part.

Also, you changed your name to Metta World Peace and you really expect anyone to give a shit about you? 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:17:10 AM by ghost »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 10:50:23 AM

Wait, what? Ron Artest changed his name to... METTA WORLD PEACE? SERIOUSLY?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:05 AM

This was even better watching the Lakers/Knicks game last week. "An elbow to the head from World Peace"  why so serious?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 NBA  
Jump to: