Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 05:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 NBA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 NBA  (Read 85918 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #245 on: June 19, 2012, 08:46:38 PM

Oh Westbrook. That may be the play that haunts you for the rest of the year.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #246 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:31 PM

It's tough to fault Westbrook.  The dude shot over 60% from the floor, had 7 rebounds, 5 assists and a steal.  The rest of the team lost the game, even considering a pivotal play.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #247 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:51 AM

I don't fault him. I just said it would haunt him.

The Thunder have no chance at beating the Heat the way they are playing right now. Hardin is absent, Ibaka can't get any points down low, and Durant refuses to rebound. I mean shit, when one of your forwards is getting outrebounded consistently by your point guard?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #248 on: June 20, 2012, 08:28:18 AM

It would be interesting to see how good Durant would be if he didn't have Westbrook on his team.  Russel Westbrook is very, very good.  Hell, he may end up being better than Durant.  He reminds me a lot of Isaiah Thomas.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #249 on: June 21, 2012, 08:54:05 AM

John Hollinger has an insider article on ESPN about the recent Okafor/Ariza trade to the Wizards.  It's hilarious and spot on. 

The good news for Washington Wizards fans is that general manager Ernie Grunfeld is building a winner. The bad news is that he's doing it in Minnesota and New Orleans.

Seriously, can anyone explain why this guy is still running a basketball team?

Grunfeld engineered yet another numbingly brutal trade today when he sent Rashard Lewis and a second-round pick to the New Orleans Hornets for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza.

The deal is classic Grunfeld -- taking a "win now" approach with a team that's not even close to win-now mode, overpaying veterans, mismanaging the cap, and basically throwing slop at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Okafor and Ariza combine to make $42 million this year and next, soaking up all of Washington's cap space for this year and next. The departing Lewis was due $22.7 million, but only $13.9 million of that was guaranteed, so the Wizards ate close to $30 million in salary with this deal.

And people wonder why these teams continue to suck.  This was just a miserable trade. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #250 on: June 21, 2012, 07:59:24 PM

Dear lord the officials just want this series over. Not that Miami won't win otherwise, but good lord just let them PLAY. They don't need your help, refs.

This championship is OVER. Lebron is going to the hoop finally. Forget it OKC, you got no answers for that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:01:45 PM by Paelos »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #251 on: June 21, 2012, 08:09:35 PM

And he has 11 assists.  They're putting the hammer down now.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #252 on: June 21, 2012, 08:16:27 PM

Mike Miller is absolutely unconscious. My god.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #253 on: June 21, 2012, 08:22:50 PM

Yeah, it's pretty bad when you get beaten by Shane Battier, but at least he plays good defense.  Getting beaten by Mike Miller is unconscionable.  

Interestingly, Miller and Battier are shooting a combined 10-15 from three as of now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:24:24 PM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #254 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:58 PM

It'll be a quiet day from the haters tomorrow.

Then, by next year they'll be back talking about how he couldn't do it alone or some shit.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #255 on: June 21, 2012, 09:00:44 PM

Yeah, because Jordan didn't have Pippen (or Rodman).  

Internet, especially Facebook, is soooo quiet.  I need to find some obnoxious animated gifs to get them agitated.

Good for the Heat, I honestly didn't think they'd win this series.  I thought the Thunder were just too young, too talented, and too fearless.  I never pick the finals right.

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: June 22, 2012, 05:27:00 AM

I think the defining moment of the night is when they went up big in the first half and Mario Chalmers started playing to the crowd.  James walked over and just shook his head saying "not yet."  The last 3 playoff series has turned LeBron James into that killer people said he needed to be.  Pure business until the job is done.  The rest of the league has more to fear from him than ever.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #257 on: June 22, 2012, 06:22:47 AM

Yay! I'm so excited!

That it's over!

Sports radio will finally shut up about it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #258 on: June 22, 2012, 06:48:13 AM

Yeah, I've never understood the "can't do it by himself" argument (which had already started from sources).  Magic had Kareem and Worthy, Bird had McHale and Parrish and Johnson, Koby had Shaq and then an assortment of really, really good players, Jordan had Pippin, Duncan had Manu and Parker and Robinson.  Incidentally, I think that Jordan had the weakest cast of supporting players, but some of them (Horry, for example, who has more rings than any of the guys above) appeared to be very average players that went on to win a ton of titles.  The NBA isn't a league in which you can Iverson your way to the top. 

With this win Lebron has firmly entrenched himself in the top 50 of all time because there can never be a "well, he didn't win a title" conversation like you could have with Iverson, Malone and Barcley.  Good for him.  He's lost his choke status.  Now if he wants to cement himself with the legends mentioned above he'll just need to win a couple more titles.  That may be difficult as the Thunder look very, very dangerous and they will learn from this loss.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:43 AM

Then, by next year they'll be back talking about how he couldn't do it alone or some shit.

The 'shortened season' whines are already in full effect.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #260 on: June 22, 2012, 10:12:23 AM

Ah, so that's where they are going?

If they aren't from Cleveland, those people can go jump off a bridge and do the rest of us a favor.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #261 on: June 22, 2012, 10:21:32 AM

I doubt anyone, even us Clevelanders and ex-Clevelanders, would question Lebron's talent and physical ability. He got his ring his way. Good for him. He played as we all expected he could play. Still rooted against him and wantedt o see him choke. Didn't happen, so congratz to him. That said, he tarnished his image so that no matter when he comes up in conversation, it will always have that "decision" specter along with it. He can win 7 more rings, he can give to charity, he could come back to Cleveland and win a championship... nothing will eliminate his dickishness to the city of Cleveland.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #262 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:00 AM

That's why I said, if you aren't from Cleveland. I don't expect anybody there to ever get over it. You found the best player on the planet and your organization surrounded him with the Washington Generals AllStars.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #263 on: June 22, 2012, 10:36:11 AM

The 'shortened season' whines are already in full effect.

I don't know if I'd go for that angle.  This season was a grinder.  Back-to-back-to-back games? Yetch.

Eh, fuck Cleveland.  Well, except the Indians.  I hope they win one.  

edit: Hah, look at Shane Battier start to get into it. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:33:53 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #264 on: June 22, 2012, 10:46:33 AM

I doubt anyone, even us Clevelanders and ex-Clevelanders, would question Lebron's talent and physical ability. He got his ring his way. Good for him. He played as we all expected he could play. Still rooted against him and wantedt o see him choke. Didn't happen, so congratz to him. That said, he tarnished his image so that no matter when he comes up in conversation, it will always have that "decision" specter along with it. He can win 7 more rings, he can give to charity, he could come back to Cleveland and win a championship... nothing will eliminate his dickishness to the city of Cleveland.

He was a bit immature when he left, but it's not like he was strangling babies or kicking dogs.  I just don't see the bitterness.  Paelos is right.  He wanted to win and it was never going to happen in Cleveland.  Who can blame the guy for leaving?

As for the talent, it's clear that he's probably the most talented player to ever play the game-  physically.  His mental toughness has been (and rightfully so) challenged in the past but he pretty much nailed that one in the ass this year.  Now it's just a matter of trying to cement his legacy among the all time greats. 
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: June 22, 2012, 12:22:56 PM

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #266 on: June 22, 2012, 12:31:07 PM

I like Mark Cuban.  He provides good entertainment value.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #267 on: June 22, 2012, 12:54:10 PM

He was a bit immature when he left, but it's not like he was strangling babies or kicking dogs.  I just don't see the bitterness.  Paelos is right.  He wanted to win and it was never going to happen in Cleveland.  Who can blame the guy for leaving?

It's not just that.  Cleveland has a history of getting kicked in the balls by Sports.  Indians, Browns v1.0, Modell fucking-over the city, Browns v2.0.

LeBron is from the city and knows that history and chose to add to it in the most dickish self-centered way humanly imaginable.   If he'd handled leaving with a modicum of class rather than making it the LeBron show it wouldn't have caused as much bitterness.  There's still be some but the majority of folks would be over it by now.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #268 on: June 22, 2012, 12:58:54 PM

It's not just that.  Cleveland has a history of getting kicked in the balls by Sports.  Indians, Browns v1.0, Modell fucking-over the city, Browns v2.0.

LeBron is from the city and knows that history and chose to add to it in the most dickish self-centered way humanly imaginable.   If he'd handled leaving with a modicum of class rather than making it the LeBron show it wouldn't have caused as much bitterness.  There's still be some but the majority of folks would be over it by now.

He's immature and coddled.  I don't really blame him that much.  I'm sure "the decision" wasn't an idea that originated with him and it's tough for guys his age to do much with a modicum of class (particularly the rich ones).  It would be very surprising if some media idiot at ESPN didn't push the suggestion to his agent and then you get the awfulness that followed.  It's also not fair to blame Lebron for Cleveland's history.  They had the opportunity to try and keep him, but never really made any moves to bring in a legitimate secondary star to help him out. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #269 on: June 22, 2012, 01:02:20 PM

Compare it to KG leaving Minn and you will see where I am coming from. Frankly, the market in Cleveland was not big enough for two stars without one of those stars cutting back on salary (which IMHO they are way more able to do given the huge endorsement deals the main NBA stars get). It is sad, but if he would have just headed out on his free agency option and moved onto Miami, it would have bene a way different story. But all this has been said before.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: June 23, 2012, 11:36:14 AM

Kevin Arnovitz on why he wanted the Heat to win

I’d been quietly pulling for the Miami Heat to win the title since April -- and not because I find LeBron James to be sympathetic or because I like the Heat’s brand of basketball or even because I have a lingering attachment to the Heat after covering them in Miami during the 2010-11 season.

I simply wanted it all to be about basketball again, because the public exercise of trying to probe James’ inner life had grown tiresome. The ease with which epithets like choke artist, fraud and much worse have been thrown at James has always been petty and, when examined closely, they usually rang false. In recent months, those takedowns had also become boring, and the prospect that they’d continue to dominate the NBA for at least another year was excruciating.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #271 on: June 23, 2012, 12:43:30 PM

I guess I could go with that article if the players haven't actively brought that sort of scrutiny into their lives, e.g. Kris Humphries with his Kardashian experiment, multiple rap albums, shittons of money, stupid decisions like "the decision", etc.  Hopefully some of the younger upcoming stars have learned from the nonsense and will do just that-  keep it about the basketball. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #272 on: June 24, 2012, 08:26:40 AM

They won't.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #273 on: June 24, 2012, 03:33:16 PM

I don't know.  Derrick Rose doesn't seem cut from that same cloth.  Many of the younger guys seem to keep their noses out of trouble. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #274 on: June 24, 2012, 06:59:30 PM

There's a difference between doing something criminal and doing something stupid.

They will all do something stupid. It's the nature of being young and having asstons of cash. I'm satisfied with most of them not getting into run-ins with the law. That's why the Lebron thing never bothered me. Yeah, he gave a middle finger to Cleveland. It's not like it wasn't warranted. That organization was doing fucking nothing, and surrounding him with leftovers that couldn't win 20 games in the NBA. When it's a bunch of dudes judging other dudes, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the "it's not what he said, it's how he said it" argument. Sack up. This is sports.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #275 on: June 24, 2012, 08:48:06 PM

Lebron, other than acting a little immature at times, has really been a model citizen.  The NBA always gets a bad rap for having thugs, but the NFL is where all that shit goes down.  I don't think we'll see a repeat of his "decision" from our next major free agent.  I think these guys are learning from Lebron's example about what not to do, and I think he learned from that example as well.  Now if we can just get Tony Parker to quit being a douche and hanging out with Chris Brown....
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #276 on: June 25, 2012, 06:18:45 AM

I flip on Mike and Mike on my way in to work to see what they are talking about now. "Coming up, in a very special interview with Lebron..." Click.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #277 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:32 AM

Yep, they are going to pound this until July. Then, they'll do some All Star break stuff for baseball.

And at that point they shift full bore into the NFL speculation. I like the NFL, but there's nothing more I hate than football talk in the offseason while real sports are going on.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #278 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:13 AM

I like the NFL, but there's nothing more I hate than football talk in the offseason while real sports are going on.

Must resist urge to be snarky

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: June 25, 2012, 11:44:16 AM

I don't know.  Derrick Rose doesn't seem cut from that same cloth.  Many of the younger guys seem to keep their noses out of trouble. 

Durant seems like a pretty decent fellow also.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 NBA  
Jump to: