Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 NBA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 NBA  (Read 83638 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #315 on: July 11, 2012, 08:08:39 AM

Come to the Dark Side.

We have Titles!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #316 on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:34 AM

It really doesn't seem like Lewis has been in the league 14 years.  I still remember him crying in the green room when he was taken in the second round. 

I've never been a huge fan of his.  For his size and build he floats too much around the 3 point line and his defense stinks.  Still, that may just be what the Heat need.  They certainly need some more shooting, and it appears as though they are comfortable leaving James at the 4 position. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: July 11, 2012, 11:12:38 AM

I was a big fan of his until he got suspended for using some kind of steroids and then his production massively declined right after.  He was fucking clutch on our finals run though.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #318 on: July 11, 2012, 11:18:42 AM

Yeah, I forgot about that.  He's a douche.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #319 on: July 15, 2012, 10:44:01 AM

Looks like the Knicks are going to let Jeremy Lin go.  I can't say that I think this is a bad idea.  Lin is a scorer (and a bit of a turnover machine) and they really don't need a scorer in their offensive sets at the PG position.  I still see Lin as a huge risk.  Not only is he relatively unproven still, in my opinion, he also has some apparent issues with injury to deal with.  It will be interesting to see how he does with Houston.  
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: July 16, 2012, 06:31:04 AM

Houston knows what they are doing.  This is a financial decision rather than a basketball one, 8 mil a year is a pittance for someone who gets you an entire country worth of fans.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #321 on: July 16, 2012, 06:35:07 AM

Until he flames out because he's not nearly as good as you expected and your team only wins 25 games. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #322 on: July 16, 2012, 06:52:42 AM

So the Knicks dump a potential young star that puts asses in the seats, and continue to keep a financial and wins drain in Carmelo.

Yeah. They have no shot. This is a great deal for Houston.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #323 on: July 16, 2012, 06:57:04 AM

No it's not.  They are WAY overpaying for Lin.  $14 million per year in his last year is simply absurd. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #324 on: July 16, 2012, 07:33:39 AM

He's a 23 year old intelligent PG in a guard league. He can work with a Houston team that has no cap issues, and a bunch of unproven young talent. Guys like White and Lamb can work with Lin to make this a young gun team that can contend for a playoff spot.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #325 on: July 16, 2012, 07:57:48 AM

Look, Lin played 25 games last year and had a surgical issue that effectively ended his season.  He is a streaky shooter, a turnover machine, has no left hand and doesn't (can't, really) play defense.  Lin, by himself, isn't going to be a guy that takes you to the playoffs.  I wish we could have seen him in the playoffs so that we could see what real defense would do to expose his game.  I suspect that his extended end of season absence had more to do with that (and getting the best salary possible) than with the actual injury itself. 

Otherwise, Lamb hasn't played a minute.  I like Terrence Jones but he's got a lot of holes in his game.  The rest of the roster is trash.  They're totally banking on getting Howard, which is okay I suppose but the Josh Harrelson, Courtney Fortson and Chandler Parsons crew is not going to get it done, with or without Lin.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #326 on: July 16, 2012, 08:19:25 AM

Disagree. You've got a Houston team that was barely on the outside looking in to the playoffs. You've got a league that's shifting towards more youth, with or without the Howard nonsense. You have one or two more years, or in some cases maybe none, for teams that are the traditional powerhouses being able to capitalize on their rosters.

Also you left out Royce White. The 21 year old 6'8" 270 lbs power forward out of Iowa State. The kid is a great player with a great defensive game.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #327 on: July 16, 2012, 08:21:27 AM

I think Royce White is going to be a disaster.  His anxiety disorder is going to be a huge problem.  There's no doubting that he's super talented though.

As for the rest of it, this is a super shitty roster.  It's full of forwards, too much youth and no name players.  Lin can't fix that. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #328 on: July 16, 2012, 08:22:54 AM

So negative!  awesome, for real

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #329 on: July 16, 2012, 08:26:54 AM

I know, right?  It doesn't matter.  That won't be the final roster.  There will be a trade and/or cuts.  They can't keep 11 forwards on the roster. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #330 on: July 18, 2012, 07:09:13 AM

Story coming out yet again that Lin wouldn't have signed with the Knicks anyway. He was sick of Carmelo.

Until the Knicks get their heads out of their asses and dump that team cancer, they are hopeless.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #331 on: July 18, 2012, 07:42:20 AM

I thought he was a restricted free agent.  

Addendum-  I like Jeremy Lin.  I think he's a breath of fresh air, but I'm not in love with him as a player.  I think he's got some pretty big holes in his game that will be exposed when he's more of a known commodity.  In the end I think he'll be a 15-6 type player (which is what we saw towards the end of his 25 game example last year).  But seeing him basically run from the Knicks organization should let them know what sort of cancer Carmelo Anthony is.  The should have amnestied his ass instead of Chauncey Billups.  That deal needed a do over.  And the second option would have been to drop Stoudemire.  He's not nearly as good as he was in his prime in Phoenix. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:46:49 AM by ghost »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #332 on: July 18, 2012, 07:54:52 AM

I thought he was a restricted free agent.  

Addendum-  I like Jeremy Lin.  I think he's a breath of fresh air, but I'm not in love with him as a player.  I think he's got some pretty big holes in his game that will be exposed when he's more of a known commodity.  In the end I think he'll be a 15-6 type player (which is what we saw towards the end of his 25 game example last year).  But seeing him basically run from the Knicks organization should let them know what sort of cancer Carmelo Anthony is.  The should have amnestied his ass instead of Chauncey Billups.  That deal needed a do over.  And the second option would have been to drop Stoudemire.  He's not nearly as good as he was in his prime in Phoenix. 

Agree with you on that.

Lin however is not overpaid from a revenue stand point.  He's going to bring a lot of money into the franchise.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #333 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:27 AM

Surely he will.  Apparently he increased the value of the Knicks franchise by some $600 million

And really, Lin should be thanking his lucky fucking stars.  He will be much better off in Houston (or really anywhere) that doesn't have Carmelo Anthony.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #334 on: July 18, 2012, 08:16:53 AM

I don't even follow basketball that much, and even I know Anthony is a douchenozzle. Sure, he's a great individual player but he seems to be cut from the same mold as Iverson. Great individual player who can't figure out how to utilize his talents to help a team win championships.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #335 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:34 AM

It's funny how awful Iverson and Anthony were together, now that you brought that up.   awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #336 on: July 18, 2012, 08:38:44 AM

I don't even follow basketball that much, and even I know Anthony is a douchenozzle. Sure, he's a great individual player but he seems to be cut from the same mold as Iverson. Great individual player who can't figure out how to utilize his talents to help a team win championships.

He doesn't play defense. That's why. He gets his points and then waits for the other team to score so he can get more points.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:32 AM

Meh, at least Iverson carried a shitty team all the way to the finals on skill alone.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #338 on: July 18, 2012, 10:50:35 AM

Meh, at least Iverson carried a shitty team all the way to the finals on skill alone.

True, although they had a great player in Raja Bell, but didn't realize it.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #339 on: July 18, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Raja Bell played what, 5 games that year?  Not a factor.  They did have Dikembe Mutombo in his prime, however, which was a big help. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #340 on: July 18, 2012, 01:06:19 PM

Story coming out yet again that Lin wouldn't have signed with the Knicks anyway. He was sick of Carmelo.

Until the Knicks get their heads out of their asses and dump that team cancer, they are hopeless.

This piece contradicts this a little bit.  I'm sure we won't hear the real story in mainstream press if it has to come from Lin's camp, however.  They seem to have their shit together. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #341 on: July 18, 2012, 01:20:13 PM

Oh I believe he preferred New York. Who doesn't prefer living in NY as a pro player over the shithole that is Houston? That doesn't mean he was going to sign with them. You can read between the lines on what he told reporters. There was an obvious culture clash from a guy like Lin who wants to give it everything all the time, and the shitheads on the Knicks right now.

I wanted to have fun playing basketball. ... Now I'm definitely relieved
Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin said. "And I had arguments with them about why I should."
I love the New York fans to death. That's the biggest reason why I wanted to return to New York.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #342 on: July 18, 2012, 01:44:08 PM

I think that he's no dummy and sees the possible marketing possibilities for the China/Asia market that were opened up with Yao Ming in Houston.  And I think the Knicks will be fine, as an organization, without him.  As far as living in Houston, once you make $5,000,000k it doesn't matter as much.  He can get a fat pad wherever he wants and get an apartment in H town.  Then when he makes $14,000,000 he's rolling.  He was an econ major at Harvard.  I'm sure he's got it all worked out.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #343 on: July 18, 2012, 02:20:21 PM

It was ass fucking backwards that the Knicks let him test the market in the first place. Also fat ass Melo is a shithead and the Knicks still wont win a playoff series next year god willing with his fat ass and Felton who looks like he's also a fat ass.

I hope the Bucks, Cavs or Wizards (hell anyone) surprise with a fun good season because otherwise the east is going to be all types of boring (Miami, Boston, Bulls) mixed with overhyped new yawk bullshit next year. Suits me fine because I'd like to see LBJ go back to back just to further shove his foot up the ass of all the haters.

This is probably one of the best things that could happen for Lin and therefore is good for the sport as a whole. I'd really like to see the Rockets get Dwight Howard if I didn't think Dwight Howard is a total fuckhead pansy who I've completely soured on at this point.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #344 on: July 18, 2012, 02:43:20 PM

The Knicks and the Rangers are owned by the same consortium of clueless dickbags that think hiring one or two high profile shitheels past their prime is better than developing young talent and running with a team full of roleplayers. We lamented that as least as far back as my days in the sports biz back in the mid to late 90s. Plus ca change.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #345 on: July 18, 2012, 03:52:39 PM

He was an econ major at Harvard.  I'm sure he's got it all worked out.

Economically, going to Houston is a no brainer. The cost of living is 53% lower in Houston and there's no state income tax.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: July 18, 2012, 04:39:28 PM

It was ass fucking backwards that the Knicks let him test the market in the first place. Also fat ass Melo is a shithead and the Knicks still wont win a playoff series next year god willing with his fat ass and Felton who looks like he's also a fat ass.

I hope the Bucks, Cavs or Wizards (hell anyone) surprise with a fun good season because otherwise the east is going to be all types of boring (Miami, Boston, Bulls) mixed with overhyped new yawk bullshit next year. Suits me fine because I'd like to see LBJ go back to back just to further shove his foot up the ass of all the haters.

This is probably one of the best things that could happen for Lin and therefore is good for the sport as a whole. I'd really like to see the Rockets get Dwight Howard if I didn't think Dwight Howard is a total fuckhead pansy who I've completely soured on at this point.

The Cavs should have a good season, Kyrie Irving is a bonafide star.  The Nets will be pretty good, not as good as their massive pay roll says they should be but good enough to make some waves.  The Bucks are once again gonna be a borderline playoff team that should be rebuilding.

I am the .00000001428%
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:23 PM

No it's not.  They are WAY overpaying for Lin.  $14 million per year in his last year is simply absurd. 

It's only a balloon payment for the matching team, for Houston it's just the average salary over the life of the contract (~$8m) each year.  And the Knicks could have just stretched the payments/salary cap hits into a few extra years if they thought that at any point they would want to get out of the repeat luxury tax payer penalty.  Which they never will because they have fucktons of money tied up in a not very good roster, insane management, and no amnesty.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #348 on: July 18, 2012, 06:33:01 PM

It's only a balloon payment for the matching team, for Houston it's just the average salary over the life of the contract (~$8m) each year.  And the Knicks could have just stretched the payments/salary cap hits into a few extra years if they thought that at any point they would want to get out of the repeat luxury tax payer penalty.  Which they never will because they have fucktons of money tied up in a not very good roster, insane management, and no amnesty.

I think it's pretty clear that Dolan just didn't want to match the offer.  They could have dealt with it if they really wanted Lin.  And Lin would have, even if he was just mildly successful, a beneficial effect on Dolan's cashflow from increased popularity.

And, in part, I think that the Knicks actually made a choice based on their roster (and Carmelo's pushiness).  It wasn't really a bad choice for them. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #349 on: July 19, 2012, 07:24:09 AM

For fuck's sake.  The NBA is just insane.  JaVale McGee is now worth $11 million per year?  The Nuggets deserve to never win another playoff game again.  I can't believe George Karl went for this shit.   swamp poop
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 NBA  
Jump to: