Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Front Page Story: LA Times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front Page Story: LA Times  (Read 38922 times)
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

on: January 20, 2012, 09:14:18 AM

Front page of the LA Times today:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/01/20/star-wars-the-old-republic-the-story-behind-a-galactic-gamble/#/0

Quote of note:

Even among its interactive peers, the Old Republic is touted as a great leap forward. Much as the first “Star Wars” movie in 1977 changed film history, its makers hope to create a new gold standard for gaming.

“We want to do to other video games what talkies did to silent films,” said Rich Vogel, co-director of the studio leading the game’s production.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:23:40 AM

The Lucas Arts Times?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:27:01 AM

If this turns into another bitch thread, I'm going get very cranky.

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:30:35 AM

Why not just merge it into an existing thread?   Ohhhhh, I see. why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:05 AM

If this turns into another bitch thread, I'm going get very cranky.

Why wouldn't it turn into a "yes, SWTOR has revolutionized the industry" thread?
Rasix

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:53:43 AM

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:03:47 AM

I think the idea of voice acting as such in these days will revolutionize the industry.

However, I think they also need to not release patches that are so buggy.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:06:44 AM

In a world where reading comprehension is nearing its lowest point in decades, voice acting should be more popular.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The only innovation I see is that of turning a single player game into a single player game shared with others.  Even that's not very innovative.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:07:07 AM

I foresee MoP having a lot more voice-overs than previous expansions.  Gotta keep up with the Jones.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:11:42 AM

The only innovation I see is that of turning a single player game into a single player game shared with others that you pay $15/month for.
FIFY.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 10:13:07 AM

I think the idea of voice acting as such in these days will revolutionize the industry.
Which is why EQ2 has millions of subscribers, right?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rasix

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:02 AM

Lack fully voiced NPCs is going to seem pretty lame in future MMOs.   It'll be tolerable, but it'll just feel like the game was done on the cheap.  I think this game shows that you either need to go full on or just forget it.   AoC's partial-talky was so jarring.

-Rasix
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:23:47 AM

My intention wasn't to start negativity or anything.  I live in Los Angeles, and we can't drive around town without seeing 20+ billboard/bus stop advertisements for SWTOR.  Some take up the entire side of office buildings.  Today I sit down to read the print version of the Los Angeles times and there is the story, on the front page.  The front page!  War stories aren't even on the front page anymore.

Keep in mind that I'm alt tabbed from the game right now.  It's all just interesting to me.  Advertising is weird.  Advertisements in the form of stories on the front page of major newspapers, even more so.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:32:57 AM

Lack fully voiced NPCs is going to seem pretty lame in future MMOs.   It'll be tolerable, but it'll just feel like the game was done on the cheap.  I think this game shows that you either need to go full on or just forget it.   AoC's partial-talky was so jarring.

^ This. I said it in another thread but if TOR fails it may kill MMOS for me. I just can't go back to the old way now that I've had a much more interactive experience.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 10:37:57 AM

*space bar*
*space bar*
*space bar*

Mmmm. Option 3.

*space bar*
*space bar*

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:17 AM

*space bar*
*space bar*
*space bar*

Mmmm. Option 3.

*space bar*
*space bar*

This is me for everything except the class storyline quests and even those I usually prefer the subtitles to the bad acting. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 11:15:17 AM

I like you Nebu.

I just never want to game with you.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Rasix

Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 11:15:52 AM

Nebu never games with you for long.  why so serious?

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 11:22:18 AM

EQ2 didn't deliver on being fully voiced. SWTOR has, and people that have actually played the game won't be able to go back to the old fire-and-forget quest text days.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 11:32:04 AM

EQ2 didn't deliver on being fully voiced. SWTOR has, and people that have actually played the game won't be able to go back to the old fire-and-forget quest text days.
Yes I will.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 11:34:08 AM

It will be hard for me to go back. It makes games feel *old*. Even mostly-voiced games like DA:O.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 11:36:02 AM

In a world where reading comprehension is nearing its lowest point in decades, voice acting should be more popular.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Reading comprehension wasn't necessary in WoW either.  Instead of a voice telling you want to do, you got some markers on a map and objective updates for doing stuff.  Most of the quests could be communicated entirely through symbols in terms of their objectives and rewards, and the text was pure fluff.  That is why people skipped them to begin with, because they were fluff.  Voice or text isn't the issue, but whether or not people care about the fluff.  If SWTOR managed(es) to keep people interested in the story and the fluff, then THAT is the meaningful bit of MMO industry progression, not the fact that it is communicated via audio.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 11:39:09 AM

SWTOR is not just voice overs. There is also the branching dialog and cinematics as well. Kind of a big thing.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 11:44:03 AM

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 11:46:38 AM

people that have actually played the game won't be able to go back to the old fire-and-forget quest text days

I played it in beta and since then I've been playing LOTRO and I don't miss the voiceovers or faux branching a bit.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 11:51:24 AM

That's exactly where I am, too.  I prefer to read, personally.  As a person, I don't really like listening to people talk either, so maybe that has something to do with it.  I get information from reading much faster and efficiently than I can by talking.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 11:55:56 AM

Nebu never games with you for long.  why so serious?

Be fair... that was more because WoW bored me than it had anything to do with you personally.  I enjoyed chatting with you.  I just hated large shoulderpads!

-  Mark Twain
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:00 PM

SWTOR is not just voice overs. There is also the branching dialog and cinematics as well. Kind of a big thing.

It was kind of a big thing over ten years ago. TOR is a branching path converation game with a multiplayer game stapled to it. I've kind of enjoyed a few of the story bits, but on the whole, I don't find it particularly immersive or ground breaking.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 12:10:07 PM

EQ2 didn't deliver on being fully voiced.
Vanilla EQ2 was fully voiced. They quit doing it because it cost a lot for minimal benefit, especially after they had to go back and rebuild some stuff most of the game because their first iteration was badly designed and on a mediocre game engine.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 12:10:53 PM

I get information from reading much faster and efficiently than I can by talking.

Not really the point. I Too can read a book faster than the movie based on it plays out. Some of you may have to face it, you are old gamers. No one but old people play MUDS. SWTOR is the first of many MMO's that will be fully voiced, coming more inline with other game genres. The problem YOU guys are having, is you have been so programed that Ding/loot is all that matters, you see a cinematic not as part of the game, but an impedance to your ding/loot.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:12:58 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 12:11:10 PM

Vanilla EQ2 was fully voiced. They quit doing it because it cost a lot for minimal benefit, especially after they had to go back and rebuild some stuff most of the game because their first iteration was badly designed and on a mediocre game engine.

No it wasn't. NPCs were voiced. Your character was not.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 12:57:05 PM

No it wasn't. NPCs were voiced. Your character was not.

Even the NPCs were not fully voiced, it was a mix.

More importantly, SWTOR attempts to bring the voices together to form narratives for your class and for each planet. EQ2 NPCs were just rehashing individual trash quests, and those trash quests weren't even at the core of the game, which was still mostly based around finding a group and wailing on endlessly respawning static NPCs.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 12:57:21 PM

Not really the point. I Too can read a book faster than the movie based on it plays out. Some of you may have to face it, you are old gamers. No one but old people play MUDS. SWTOR is the first of many MMO's that will be fully voiced, coming more inline with other game genres. The problem YOU guys are having, is you have been so programed that Ding/loot is all that matters, you see a cinematic not as part of the game, but an impedance to your ding/loot.

Hey, we didn't put ding/loot into the game. Bioware did.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 02:38:37 PM

I cannot go back to being a side character in Metzen's Thrall fanfics, that's all I know.

God Save the Horn Players
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 02:42:18 PM

I get information from reading much faster and efficiently than I can by talking.

It's Friday, bro.  Relax.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Front Page Story: LA Times  
Jump to: