Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: 6 Years, a F2P Conversion, and countless patches later... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6 Years, a F2P Conversion, and countless patches later...  (Read 20434 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:51 AM

...you're getting your first real expansion!

Menace of the Underdark

Get ready to move beyond Eberron because this summer will bring DDO's first-ever expansion: Menace of the Underdark. This premium expansion will take DDO players into the Forgotten Realms. The expansion's storyline will set up your travel there, and you'll enter the land of Cormyr to take on the demigoddess Lolth. Lolth and her faithful followers, the Drow of the Underdark, form an epic, challenging storyline with familiar landmarks to longtime DnD fans.

Oh, there was one other small note from Turbine: Druids will be released along with Menace of the Underdark. Yes, you heard right; Druids are finally coming to DDO. It will be a shape-shifting class with various available animal forms.

Level-cap increase

The expansion is extremely exciting, but the DDO crew had a few more surprises up its sleeve. As Fernando Paiz told us, "The content that [Turbine will] be introducing there is going to be part of [the] epic-level expansion for characters. [Turbine is] going to introduce levels up to 25, and those will be epic levels."

Players will find plenty to do to achieve level 25 not only within Menace of the Underdark but in Eberron as well. Turbine's keeping mum on that at this point but promises to "find ways for all that to stay relevant."

This is, of course, only a brief outline of what Turbine has planned for 2012, and as you can see, it's pretty huge. As the first half of the year progresses, we'll be working closely with Turbine to take an in-depth look at each new addition to the game, so keep a close eye on Massively as Eberron gets a big shake-up!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:24:22 AM

Forgotten Realms? Really? /scratches head

Hasn't that ship sailed already when you set the thing in Eberron?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:13 AM

Retarded campaign setting crossovers have been a staple of D&D since about 5 minutes after it was invented.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:42 AM

Be interesting to see how, if they do, incorporate 5th edition.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:12 AM

Be interesting to see how, if they do, incorporate 5th edition.

I don't think they even incorporated 4th did they?  I thought it was pretty much 3.5
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Correct, and they don't have a license to do anything with other editions.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:24 AM

WTB Ravenloft.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:44:39 AM

I love me some DDO. 

I would get into it again if there wasn't a cockblock at level 11-12 where solo runs dried out.  I'm curious to see what they do about that.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 12:01:30 PM

I don't think that cockblock exists anymore, though solo-ability as always really depends on what character you're playing. They added a decent chunk of lvl 12-18 content with four patches worth of quests. They cover two separate storylines and I enjoyed both series. They also added challenge quests that scale with your level, emphasize replayability and getting high scores, and grant decent experience. Those weren't quite as fun for me, but it was a nice way to augment leveling when I ran into older quests that were harder (or impossible) to solo.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:42:16 PM

When was that?  I know when I was playing back in 2010 you could solo through those levels but it was painfully slow and boring as shit.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 03:17:14 PM

They were late-2010, 2011 additions. Update 7 was the first set of new quests (lvl 12 stuff), which was October 2010 according to DDOwiki.

You can see that those levels have been padded out a bunch if you look at quests by level, and the quests that were added are all realistically solo-able.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 05:56:45 PM

I wonder if they are abandoning the crappy Ebberon world.  This expac touches me in my special place; maybe I'll resub, I wonder if my ancient characters are still around. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:28 AM

The game is F2P.  Play whenever.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:14 AM

I love me some DDO. 

I would get into it again if there wasn't a cockblock at level 11-12 where solo runs dried out.  I'm curious to see what they do about that.

Don't you have henchmen/minions as an option now?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 05:33:30 AM

Well, got a beta invite thanks to IGN and thought: "hell, why not"? I only played the original DDO beta, guess it's time to check it out again :P

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:13 AM

This launched yesterday. My impressions so far are positive: the UI changes go a long way towards making DDO look less dated compared when with other recent MMOs & the epic destiny system seems like a great fit for DDO. It was a bit overwhelming but you can really see the possibilities for interesting builds among each tree and the 'twists of fate' that let pick a few traits to carry with you even when that tree isn't active.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: 6 Years, a F2P Conversion, and countless patches later...  
Jump to: