Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2012  (Read 164083 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

on: January 18, 2012, 04:20:01 PM

NRI lists for spring training are starting to be announced, which means it is baseball time once again!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Biggest question still to be answered: where is Prince Fielder going to land? The rumored front-runner seems to change daily.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:09:11 PM

Texas seems to  Heart him.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:06:09 PM

I hope they sign him to a deal that dwarfs the A-Rod contract...that should take care of them nicely in 3 years when he has to have a hip replaced and they are crippled by his contract.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:21:32 PM

Tigers sign Prince Fielder for a 9 year deal. I have no idea where he will play the field, but if/when Victor Martinez comes back the tigers lineup is going to give opposing pitchers nightmares.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:29:20 PM

Cabrera could play 3rd or the outfield (I think he even played SS at one point for the Marlins). Martinez can DH with Fielder at 1B. You'd probably want Fielder at 1B because he's a lot better fielder than those other two and better than his physique would make you think. I'm sad the Cubs didn't go after him, but after Soriano, I'm fine with them not going in for these crazy long contracts. Also, both Pujols and Fielder are now in the AL where they can't hurt my Cubs anymore.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:38 PM

Fielder is a defensive upgrade over Cabrera, who presumably is now the starting DH.

WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:38:39 PM

By maybe 1 or two runs a season. They are both godawful defensively. The real question- will the duo get to 600 home runs or 600 pounds first?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:11:58 AM

9 years is about 2 years too long for sure.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:11:40 AM

9 years is about 2 years too long for sure.

I was thinking 4 years, but 2 years is a certainty.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:32:56 AM

You're always going to be paying for some years on the back end that aren't as good as the ones at the peak years with deals like this - otherwise someone else who is willing to will sign the player instead of you - but 9 years puts that number of years at around 4 as you say which is more than I would be willing to do personally. Maybe more like 3, I think Fielder will still be pretty good at 33.

Remember the Tigers owner is about 300 years old and wants to win before he kicks off, so their WIN NOW motivation is extremely high.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:17 AM

Huh. Apparently I'm wrong about Fielder. He ranks 21 out of 21 of 1B with a fielding pct. of .990 and had 15 errors (2 more than Cabrera). Good thing he can mash.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 11:28:08 AM

He's fat.   awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:52:20 AM

He's fat.   awesome, for real

Fat baseball players aren't fat. Only fat women are fat.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:23:01 PM

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:33 PM

I won't lie, I love fat baseball players. Something about them amuses the shit out of me. Fat pitchers (who have to bat!) are my absolute favorite.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 03:04:23 PM

Yeah his defensive numbers are worse than what I had in my head. In any case it means at worst they can rotate Cabrera and Fielder back and forth between 1B and DH, which gives them 'days off' to reduce injury risk etc.

============

My favorite fat pitcher:

EDIT:

"Miguel Cabrera told a Venezuelan newspaper that he's moving to third base to accommodate the Detroit Tigers' newest slugger, first baseman Prince Fielder."

Wow that is going to be a really bad infield.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:20:37 PM by Ingmar »

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 03:31:42 PM

They are talking about playing Cabrera at 3rd and Fielder at 1st. That should prove to be extremely amusing for everyone but Tigers fans. What is the ML record for bunt base hits against? It is getting shattered if those guys take the field together more than 40 or 50 games.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 03:32:41 PM

They will have to reserve 4 spots for them on the each week on ESPN's Not Top Ten

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 03:51:06 PM

They are talking about playing Cabrera at 3rd and Fielder at 1st. That should prove to be extremely amusing for everyone but Tigers fans. What is the ML record for bunt base hits against? It is getting shattered if those guys take the field together more than 40 or 50 games.
Teams bunt in the AL? awesome, for real
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 05:57:05 PM

Bunt all you want, the Tigs will be busy crushing shit outta the park :) As I Tiger fan I like and dislike this move. A left-handed powerhouse we have needed for a while now. And you can't pitch around two killers in a row.  Us Detroit fans also love the "Fielders". Our infield is going to blow and cost us some games. Luckily we have Verlander, so there are some free wins to counter it.

And 9 years? WTF. I could see a title in the next year or two though.

With Martinez out, do people think this is bad for the team? I know we have one too many 1B but....with DH and injuries and shit, I'm doubting it will be THAT bad.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 08:16:32 AM

I don't see it being bad for the team. I do see this team being like the Yankees are - a team that strangles you with the long ball and hopes it can score 5-7 a night. When it doesn't, the team will look ugly. It appears your best defensive infielder is Pheralta, and he's never been known as a glove wizard. Adequate is the best you can probably hope for, TBH.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 10:02:54 AM

Here's a name to keep track of this year.

Tyler Pastornicky. New SS for the Braves. Fast kid who put up .365 in AAA and has a solid glove. Could offer some more speed to the Braves lineup in addition to Heyward, Bourne, and Prado.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 11:55:45 AM

.365 with no power and a terrible walk rate (and was .299 at AA).

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 12:28:10 PM

SS isn't a power hitting position, though. Bat over .250 as a rook and don't tank a bunch of double plays. That's the standard.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 12:49:41 PM

The terrible walk rate is more concerning. You can't steal first. You're looking, basically, at a guy who will be make or break based on his ability to make contact with breaking balls, because that's all he's going to see. He appears to not strike out much, so that's a positive sign, but I think the odds are good that this guy is going to be a net drag on your offense.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 03:51:17 PM

Well this is a shocker.  Oil Can Boyd says that he frequently used cocaine throughout his career.  I'm absolutely floored by this news.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 03:52:45 PM

Ha, yeah I saw that earlier. Oil Can would pretty much be the first guy I would guess.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53:39 PM

I would think that you'd have to do cocaine regularly to get a name like "Oil Can".  Cocaine, or maybe shooting up heroin. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 01:50:10 PM

5 days til pitchers and catchers!

Today's big news is the A's of all people signed Yoenis Cespedes. I like the move, he has a tremendous upside and 9 million a year could end up being a steal. He'll probably be rusty this year for a while, so get ready for a lot of OH GOD TERRIBLE hand-wringing from people for the short term.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 02:43:47 PM

Braves are looking at their up and comers to replace some of the aging pitching talent we have/had over the past few years.

Julio Teheran got a taste last year, but he's very talented and looks to try for a spot in the rotation this year. He's by far the most likely to get a shot.

Randall Delgado is a 22 year old guy who spot started 7 games in September last year and held an ERA of 2.83. Despite only giving up 7 runs in 5 starts during the Braves collapse, he got ND on all but 1 due to our shitty hitting. He will contend for a starting job, but is less likely to get it with Medlen in the mix.

Arodys Vizcaino came out of the buillpen 17 times last year. With the exception of a horrific game against the Dodgers, he was a very good middle reliever.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 02:53:32 PM

I'm anticipating a return of the Braves to the latter part of the Dale Murphy era soon.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 02:54:52 PM

I'm anticipating a return of the Braves to the latter part of the Dale Murphy era soon.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

angry

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 03:00:42 PM

I can hope. Unfortunately I'm afraid the Giants may be returning to the Johnny LeMaster days themselves, I am pessimistic about the offense's potential to improve enough to get to 'average' and a major pitching injury is surely going to happen *eventually*. I can't see Vogelsong staying at that level either, and the 5th starter is probably going to be Zito and his 83 mph 'fastball'.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 03:02:05 PM

Shouldn't you be a Houston fan? 
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 03:52:54 PM

I am READY. I am READY FOR BASEBALL for a SECOND SEASON IN A ROW. This is unprecedented!  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2012  
Jump to: