Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Resolved: SWTOR is not an MMO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Resolved: SWTOR is not an MMO  (Read 37576 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

on: January 08, 2012, 12:57:02 PM

Or at least, it is not really like any MMO we've ever seen before.  Most MMO's are like bowling or darts as a hobby, you play them at every opportunity, you are constantly trying to raise your level of play, but the why of your MMO play is ultimately the same as that of a bowling or darts league: "The guys are counting on me."  The play itself is endlessly repetitive, and it's the other players that are really why you're there.

SWTOR...is not like anything we've seen before.  Where WoW took an order of magnitude jump over previous games in the amount of content available, and it was barely possible to do most of your leveling by performing quests (if you filled in the rather large gaps with repeatable quests), SWTOR is the first game where you can take a character from creation to max level with nothing but content, without repeating any of it.  An order of magnitude beyond even WoW.

One of the developers that worked on it confided to me that they were a little worried it might turn out like CoH: Fun for as long as it took people to consume the content, but then nothing, no elder game meant people played for a few months and left, maybe reactivating for new content expansions.  If that turned out to be true, I'm not sure that it's a problem.

Single-player games, ones with stories, have a big structural problem: Creating enough content of a high enough quality has an ever increasing cost.  Making a AAA-grade title that isn't based on a sports franchise or major movie license just keeps getting more and more expensive.  Story-based games have been getting shorter and shorter as a result, until now even something that is theoretically an RPG will have a straight-line play time of less than one full day (24 hours).  Many players balk at paying $50+ for such a brief diversion, preferring to wait and buy it second-hand.

Which has itself been a problem for the industry, because used game sales contribute nothing to the profitability of the title.  It doesn't matter how many times GameStop buys the game back for a quarter of the new price and sells it for half of it, none of that money defrays the cost of development.  Attempts to use DRM or even Live service locks on the titles haven't worked, players balked at buying games they couldn't re-sell, and the used-games players either skipped them completely or waited until they were bargain-binned at under $20.  A few draconian cases that received a lot of attention (like bricking a console the first few times someone played an already-registered use game while connected to the Live services) also contributed to the backlash.

So developers are in a vice: They can't afford to spend less on making games, and even if their game is a hit it may not make enough on the actual "first sale" of retail units to make up the costs, so they can't afford to spend more on making games.

Now, consider SWTOR not as an MMO, but as a *really* big budget, really long KOTOR sequel....  It may not matter that it has no "elder game", and that people play it only long enough to consume the content, if they (EA/Bioware) can make enough money off a title that can't be resold and can't be pirated.  In many ways, from a business perspective, this is the perfect single-player/co-op AAA game, it just happens to have a really big, really pretty, 3D matchmaking lobby.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:47:40 PM

Not really sure what you mean by they can't afford to spend less.  They can, they just don't want to.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:59:56 PM

Now, consider SWTOR not as an MMO, but as a *really* big budget, really long KOTOR sequel....  It may not matter that it has no "elder game", and that people play it only long enough to consume the content, if they (EA/Bioware) can make enough money off a title that can't be resold and can't be pirated.  In many ways, from a business perspective, this is the perfect single-player/co-op AAA game, it just happens to have a really big, really pretty, 3D matchmaking lobby.

--Dave

As Gabe Newell has said, he thinks games are services these days, and I think it won't be long before the MMO title is just left on the sidelines.  Ongoing payment has been tied to the term MMO for so long that I think we see games get the label that seem to defy the genre simply so the justification for a monthly fee can be there.  I think in the future we are just going to see more and more games with subscription plans regardless of genre.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 05:59:25 PM

players balked at buying games they couldn't re-sell,

What?

Is it even possible to resell games on steam?

Being an MMOG and a really long big budget Kotor sequel is not mutally exclusive. With the possible exception of Wow, viable mmogs always do things with different emphasis.

One of the developers that worked on it confided to me that they were a little worried it might turn out like CoH: Fun for as long as it took people to consume the content, but then nothing, no elder game meant people played for a few months and left, maybe reactivating for new content expansions.

This the only way I can see SWTOR succeeding, and the content has to come fast enough for it to work. They haven't invested enough in the rest of the game for anything else to be viable. The rest of the game trails way behind EQ2 and CoX, let alone more recent efforts.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 06:13:09 PM

Where WoW took an order of magnitude jump over previous games in the amount of content available, and it was barely possible to do most of your leveling by performing quests (if you filled in the rather large gaps with repeatable quests)

Wat?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:14:09 PM

Where WoW took an order of magnitude jump over previous games in the amount of content available, and it was barely possible to do most of your leveling by performing quests (if you filled in the rather large gaps with repeatable quests)

Wat?

Yea, 'this' as the say. You could always quest to max in WoW, since day 1.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:49:41 PM

Yeah, this seems to be vastly overstating the amount of content in SWTOR and the difference between SWTOR and WOW.

SWTOR is WOW with dialog trees and more instancing. The end.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:16:36 PM

I'm not even sure any of the repeatable quests prior to Wrath of the Lich King gave experience after the first time you did them.  As I recall most of them were just bullshit rep grinds.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:37:42 PM

Yeah, WOW didn't have any questing problems really. There were the '40-50 hell levels' (that weren't really) where a lot of people killed pirates in tanaris instead of questing, but you could still level by doing quests in other zones if you wanted. That said, I do agree that SWTOR is a game best played as 'KOTOR 3 that needs a sub to play'. The MMO part is kinda crap, but the storylines are actually pretty good / engaging / amusing.

Huge caveat: most of the SWTOR solo content consists of 'planet quests', which means you'll be doing a lot of recycled stuff on other characters -- this can get boring/annoying fast.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:20:02 AM

Need to think of that 15$ sub as a monthly DLC purchase. As others have mentioned, the key will be if they can deliver enough quantity and quality to keep people happy or they'll just re-sub for xpacs (which could still be profitable, but obviously they'd prefer full time retention for that WoW revenue $$$).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 10:16:40 AM

I think that's the real issue. I completely agree that this is just KOTOR sequel with a multiplayer component. The subscription past two months, three months, depends entirely on whether they can put in monthly content that makes it worth staying connected. Otherwise the smart play is to experience the content, end the sub, resub whenever there's enough DLC built up to make it worth a rerun.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 10:42:15 AM

Dave when was the last MMO you played not named Eve? This post reads like it was written by someone who hasn't played WoW since 2004 and hasn't touched SWTOR at all.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 05:07:19 PM

Wat?

No, you couldn't.

Edit: Not as Horde, anyway.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 06:59:12 PM

I actually wish it was just a single player. I love the story of it, hate almost all the MMO parts of it.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 09:43:42 AM

Need to think of that 15$ sub as a monthly DLC purchase. As others have mentioned, the key will be if they can deliver enough quantity and quality to keep people happy or they'll just re-sub for xpacs (which could still be profitable, but obviously they'd prefer full time retention for that WoW revenue $$$).

Yeah this. The preponderance of F2P games has wrecked the MMOG subscription economy. Either you be a big budget wonder like SWTOR or you'll eventually go F2P, which is fine if you write your business model for that sort of service and don't fuck your customers. DLC has changed the entire business model for single-player games too. It's the only way for some of these developers to be profitable if their product isn't a huge smashing success. I'd actually prefer to see games get less expensive at retail ($30 instead of $60) even if it means less content, but with more DLC on the back end to make up for the lesser content. As long as companies don't nickel and dime you to death, I see no problems with that.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:20 AM

I'm not sure if there is anything right in the original post.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 07:56:20 PM

I probably should not have read this, because I haven't done anything other than quests and some kill deeds in LotRO, and leveling continues unabated.  In fact, I've outleveled my spot in the main story, which is fine with me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:52:08 AM

I'm not even sure any of the repeatable quests prior to Wrath of the Lich King gave experience after the first time you did them.  As I recall most of them were just bullshit rep grinds.

Yeah they did. Fuckloads of exp.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:58 AM

Yeah this. The preponderance of F2P games has wrecked the MMOG subscription economy. Either you be a big budget wonder like SWTOR or you'll eventually go F2P, which is fine if you write your business model for that sort of service and don't fuck your customers. DLC has changed the entire business model for single-player games too. It's the only way for some of these developers to be profitable if their product isn't a huge smashing success. I'd actually prefer to see games get less expensive at retail ($30 instead of $60) even if it means less content, but with more DLC on the back end to make up for the lesser content. As long as companies don't nickel and dime you to death, I see no problems with that.

That's a terrible idea. Aside from the fact that FPS companies are already doing that (Call of Duty - full price, 5 hour campaign + some MP maps, plus LOTS more MP maps via DLC) They tried that as an experiment with MX vs ATV: Alive. How'd that work out for them as far as sales go?

It also ignores the vast numbers of non-connected consoles out there. I don't see software companies knocking off 33% or 50% of the price in the hope they can sell you a few more levels via DLC while effectively locking out all the millions of nonline consoles. owners.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 07:26:09 AM

No, you couldn't.

I couldn't either, as alliance, 6 months after release.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 08:00:57 AM

Which ones?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:15:58 AM

No, you couldn't.

I quested to 60 in WoW in the first 2 months after release and I am pretty sure they didn't cut a bunch of quests right afterwards.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:24 AM

I think the issue was that at higher levels it was often way more efficient to grind than travelling everywhere and completing quests (for the Alliance).
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:47 PM

Yeah I quested to 60 at release. You'd have to travel a lot for the questing, basically hit just about every zone along the way. You saw a lot of the world but wasted a lot of time travelling on your basic mount, long flightpath routes, or ferries so I think a good % of people just said fuck it and started grinding.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 01:14:36 PM

When I hit around 54, everything was orange or red to me, and I did every quest because of course you had to.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 03:52:22 PM

I think the issue was that at higher levels it was often way more efficient to grind than travelling everywhere and completing quests (for the Alliance).

This was my experience.  I grinded a bunch in the 50s just because trekking to Kalimdor and back for a pitiful exp reward and some green I was going to replace in a week wasn't worth it.

I think I probably  *could* have done quests all the way, but I don't think there was a point to doing so.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 03:53:10 PM

Not having to grind? Liking quests in general?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:06 PM

Which ones?

Apologies - I missed the "prior" part of your post. I'm not actually sure about the BC ones - especially since I did Skettis and Blade's Edge while at 70. I think you needed to be at max level to even do them?

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 11:00:46 PM

I think your recollection is correct.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 03:57:41 PM

You could quest from 1-50 in CoX from day 1. And CoX had far better scaling to support soloers or groups than either swtor or wow.

In fact, lunatics went about complaining that they'd level up too much before they could complete all the quests.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 03:59:09 PM

I ran out of missions a couple times in vanilla CoH and had to street grind.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 05:28:57 PM

All CoH ever did was send me to the same fucking warehouse over and over and over and over.

I never got higher then... level 18? On my MasterMind.

I had multiple 50's in DaoC, I've ground out every horrible pvp thing WoW tossed at me and was a Veld miner in EVE for 6 months.

But CoH/CoV fucking broke me.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:13 PM

You could quest from 1-50 in CoX from day 1. And CoX had far better scaling to support soloers or groups than either swtor or wow.

In fact, lunatics went about complaining that they'd level up too much before they could complete all the quests.
Yup I used to kill myself to build up exp debt so I wouldn't out level my missions awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 07:28:09 PM

This was pretty class dependent. If you died a lot (read: played a solo Blaster) you could run out of quests around launch because the debt would keep you from dinging and properly progressing through your contacts.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 09:25:05 AM

No, you couldn't.

I quested to 60 in WoW in the first 2 months after release and I am pretty sure they didn't cut a bunch of quests right afterwards.

There were questing issues with WoW when you got to the 40s and 50s. If you happened to be able to run instances or do the group quests (in the days when there were Elite mobs everywhere) it probably wasn't an issue but if you were solo and had no rested XP then grinding was a more efficient option than the travel involved to find random, out of the way quests (if there were even enough for Horde). This is why they added Thorium Point and Revantusk Village in Patch 1.5 - two 45-52 questing areas (extra for Horde) to mitigate that levelling grind.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Resolved: SWTOR is not an MMO  
Jump to: