Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch... 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  (Read 201626 times)
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: December 16, 2011, 03:16:52 AM

I do have 2 running.

Question to all:  Is it related to whether or not you wiped out / clean reinstalled the client a few days ago?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: December 16, 2011, 03:37:02 AM

Purples are only usable by the creator or someone with biochem, though, right?

Wait, what?

Bind on create?

Jesus christ.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: December 16, 2011, 03:45:41 AM

Wait, what?

Bind on create?

Jesus christ.
That is only for the reusable stuff, though.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 16, 2011, 04:19:17 AM

From what they are telling me the queues are hideous and I am fully expecting that by the time I get to play I will not have the ability to choose the server they are on.  

Did you not sign up for the guild preplacement thing?

No, to be honest I didn't know  anything about it.  Been working way to hard as of late, even my forum time has went way down.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: December 16, 2011, 04:20:47 AM

Wait, what?

Bind on create?

Jesus christ.
That is only for the reusable stuff, though.

This doesn't make it ok.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 16, 2011, 04:30:13 AM

This doesn't make it ok.
I don't see the problem. For a biochem crafter it is only added convenience. That is their perk. They are not more powerfull, you just don't have to make them over and over again for youself.

If they were BoP, sooner or later everbody would own them and nobody would buy their stuff anymore.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: December 16, 2011, 04:31:59 AM

This doesn't make it ok.

To clarify, the reusable biochem items I've seen require the minimum Biochem skill to make them to use them.

That said (because the other professions do have Bind on Pickup things) I don't see what the issue is with maker-only items if we accept item binding in the first place.  It provides a clear perk to choosing that profession on that character over just gathering and using friends or crafting alts.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: December 16, 2011, 04:36:10 AM

I didn't realise the only difference was that they are reusable.

Still doesn't sound like much of a perk that he guy who can make biochem shit at will doesn't need to make biochem shit.

I don't see what the issue is with maker-only items if we accept item binding in the first place.

Death to all binding mechanics.

However, I agree this is no worse than all the other terrible Bind On XXX mechanics. Supposed to be a multiplayer game etc.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 16, 2011, 04:41:12 AM

WoW had this; you craft certain armor and items and the recipe shows that the item will be "bind on pickup" - and guess what, you "pick it up" as soon as you make it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: December 16, 2011, 04:46:23 AM

If unlimited, reusable stims and whatnot could be made and given to anyone, there would be no need for anyone but a handful of people to take up the craft and dominate the market.  Don't over-analyze this...WoW's already done most of the experimentation in this department.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: December 16, 2011, 04:56:59 AM

WoW had this; you craft certain armor and items and the recipe shows that the item will be "bind on pickup" - and guess what, you "pick it up" as soon as you make it.

WoW has _exactly_ this. Alchemists have ulimited use potions that are bop.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: December 16, 2011, 05:33:13 AM

Yes. WoW also has terrible binding mechanics which are a cancer within the game. Not sure why people are telling us this, I don't think anyone claimed otherwise.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: December 16, 2011, 05:35:46 AM

why are the bop/boe mechanics a cancer within the game? I strongly disagree.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: December 16, 2011, 05:38:22 AM

Arbitrarily not being able to transfer gear in a multiplayer "rpg" is completely retarded and brings no benefit to the game.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: December 16, 2011, 05:50:08 AM

The game is mostly the gear. It is not arbitary - all craftable gear is boe, it can be freely traded. Practically all dungeon and raid gear you have to go and get with the character you want it on. Anything else leads to so many issues I can't imagine someone even considering it.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: December 16, 2011, 05:54:28 AM

Equipment is not 'freely traded' if it is BoE.

And it doesn't lead to any issues whatsoever. Nobody ever sat around in EQ saying 'holy shit this game is crap because I can trade my old gear with my friends'.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:24 AM

I'm sure everquest had some pretty major timesinks that wow doesn't.

The way the game is setup and the relative power of gear, it wouldn't be half as popular if I could just drop down my old sets to an alt or a friend that's never been in a raid dungeon. Your gear is your reward that you've done the dungeon/raid. I'm sorry but diablo style twinkage is just retarded design.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: December 16, 2011, 06:05:32 AM

And it doesn't lead to any issues whatsoever.

Someone find ONE issue, no matter how small, and your statement is disproven.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: December 16, 2011, 06:25:37 AM

The way the game is setup and the relative power of gear, it wouldn't be half as popular if I could just drop down my old sets to an alt or a friend that's never been in a raid dungeon. Your gear is your reward that you've done the dungeon/raid. I'm sorry but diablo style twinkage is just retarded design.

You meant to say 'diablo style twinkage' is fun.

And even aside from that the gear is a hell of a lot more central in Diablo, which I notice didn't die just because you can trade. Other games that similarly didn't disintegrate for this reason include EVE, UO, DAoC, EQ 1&2, GW and oh hey just about every game ever that didn't choose to use this terrible mechanic as yet another way to polish the dicks of a tiny community of poopsocking raidtards.

If the content, the act of raiding, isn't fun enough on its own then your game is shit. And you need to fix your game.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: December 16, 2011, 06:40:54 AM

Binding gear helps keep crafting alive; if gear wasn't bound, the prices of every crafted piece of gear would drop very quickly as people could auction their old shit instead of having to vendor it and allow a new piece to come to market.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: December 16, 2011, 06:50:51 AM

Gear in SWG wasn't BoE, and it had a vibrant crafting community.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #126 on: December 16, 2011, 07:21:20 AM

And it had nothing to do with the BoE decision. Come on.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:42:50 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: December 16, 2011, 07:33:23 AM

Gear in swg also decayed after use(this changed a bit with anti decay kits and then completely changed with the nge), so you had to keep buying crafted gear, which is what created the "vibrant crafting community".
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: December 16, 2011, 07:59:59 AM

Queue's. This is prerelease where half of my guild isn't in and there's already hour+ waits. What I don't get is why they didn't lock servers to char creations. They know how many people are in a guild, preordered or not, and they know what the population count should be. Have a pool of xyz number of random unguilded people then soft lock it for release with a buffer new chars to make each server "medium" on day 1. "Not expected the popularity" is bullshit when they had all the groundwork done on guild preregistration etc. It's just poor planning and going to be horrific day 1 on the high/full servers at the moment when the rest of the guild members wants to just play.

Game client runs way better but it's still buggy as hell. Every alt tab messes up the screen resolution so my windows bar is half way up the screen. Few crashes so far, its a step up from beta but not much.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: December 16, 2011, 08:01:29 AM

From the sheer volume of unguilded people, I think part of the issue is just that there's a large pool of unknowns for destination.

But charlie sheen hasn't slapped me with a queue yet, thankfully. Boring server names ho!
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:37 AM

You meant to say 'diablo style twinkage' is fun.

And even aside from that the gear is a hell of a lot more central in Diablo, which I notice didn't die just because you can trade. Other games that similarly didn't disintegrate for this reason include EVE, UO, DAoC, EQ 1&2, GW and oh hey just about every game ever that didn't choose to use this terrible mechanic as yet another way to polish the dicks of a tiny community of poopsocking raidtards.

If the content, the act of raiding, isn't fun enough on its own then your game is shit. And you need to fix your game.

The raiding game is plenty fun, thank you. The two things that make the raiding game fun are encounter design and defeatable difficulty. Both (or either) of these can be made irrelevent by overgearing an encounter. The first bit can also be "gone around" by using particular classes to make certain parts of the design easier, hence defeatable at lower gear levels. If you could _at all times_ have all clases at maximum available gear you can practically cheese any encounter mechanic and that would indeed make the raiding game un-fun. So there's reason one.

The way the game is setup right now, if you're a more casual player you get most of your gear on your main character from dungeons. In come I, a member of the tiny community of poopsocking raidtards, polished dick out, glowing and sparkling gear on display. I procede to need and take all of your loot, because I have decided that today my Paladin is getting a healing spec. And why would I go through the trouble of running dungeons on her, if I can come in on my main and practically solo the thing and get the same loot for the character I decided to ding today. Faster. So there's reason two.

I can keep going for quite a while and in much more detail, but those two will suffice, as they cover both the casual player that runs 5 dungeons a week and does some pvp and the more hardcore raider. If you have a problem with WoW and the raiding community, that's something that can be discussed, but that has no relevence on the viability of the BoE/BoP design, which is flat out better design. And we'll have to agree to disagree on the diablo thing. 

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: December 16, 2011, 08:05:57 AM

From the sheer volume of unguilded people, I think part of the issue is just that there's a large pool of unknowns for destination.

But charlie sheen hasn't slapped me with a queue yet, thankfully. Boring server names ho!

Again you split it down to 30% unguilded 50% guilded 20% launch accounts or something like that and spin up a bunch of servers with that criteria and balance out the traffic. They have exact numbers of guilds/members thats going to be on a server throw an extra 30-40% buffer for unguilded people or whatever the real world number is (they have pre-registered vs pre-registered and guilded stats).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #132 on: December 16, 2011, 08:06:42 AM

BOE/P was related entirely to raiding.  It wasn't done in EQ because everything was in the world, not instanced.  That was an automatic break on the supply of equipment into the economy.  Avatar of Zek, the Council, etc.  All could only be killed a limited number of times per week - ONCE.   The LDON gear

Instancing changed all of that, even in EQ.  IIRC all the LDON gear was BOP to control item inflows - or the augments were, I can't recall which.   If you don't have item decay to uselessness or BOP restrictions you have to accept that your game's economy will be trashed and useless.  

I'm also fairly certain that EQ2 had bind on pickup - NODROP.

You're arguing that ice and minerals should be unlimited in supply in 0.0 space here.  That's how big of an economy wrecker non-bop gear can be in an instanced game.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: December 16, 2011, 08:17:36 AM

Just think of the item and economy bloat if all items were tradeable.  That would be quite ridiculous.

I'm a biochem guy, and I have started making these purple things.  Thank god I can't sell these things because then I would eventually have no customers to buy shit later.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #134 on: December 16, 2011, 08:35:26 AM

I do have 2 running.
Hmm checked again and this time i do have 2x swtor.exe running. This is on fresh client install, never was in beta.

Hard to say if it's intentional, maybe the other one is their equivalent of the Blizzard snooping thingy?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:48 AM

There can be a lot of reasons to have a second process watching the first. The only real concern to me would be if it's actually churning CPU and memory, and not just being a watchdog process.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #136 on: December 16, 2011, 08:39:04 AM

Even for a prelaunch, this has been pretty smooth.  I think I've had one crash and that was exiting the game.  My FPS have been sky high and the lag is really minimal.  And somehow, they made BH combat way more fun than it should be.   Death from above is the best skill in any game, ever.

Still, I sure have a fuck load of different abilities.  No idea what I should start culling at this point.

-Rasix
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: December 16, 2011, 08:54:03 AM

Yeah even at only level 20 my BH has maybe 8 core rotational abilities and a couple cooldowns. I can only imagine it'll get worse, particularly with no macros.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #138 on: December 16, 2011, 08:55:07 AM

I think they've put up too many PVP servers to be honest. When I played last night, all the servers with huge queues were pve, and the pvp ones had availability.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: December 16, 2011, 12:10:42 PM

I think they've put up too many PVP servers to be honest. When I played last night, all the servers with huge queues were pve, and the pvp ones had availability.

My PvP server had 45+ minute queues last night. 12 of the top 20 pop servers are pvp.

Top 20 pop servers:

ø 3.36   The Harbinger (PvE)
ø 3.27   Tomb of Freedon Nadd (PvP)
ø 3.03   Bloodworthy (PvP)
ø 3.02   The Fatman (PvP)
ø 3.00   Jung Ma (RP PvP)
ø 2.92   The Swiftsure (PvP)
ø 2.86   Darth Traya (PvP)
ø 2.80   Legions of Lettow (PvP)
ø 2.80   The Red Eclipse (PvE)
ø 2.78   Frostclaw (PvE)
ø 2.78   Iron Citadel (PvP)
ø 2.77   Dark Reaper (PvP)
ø 2.58   Hrakert Rift (PvP)
ø 2.55   Darth Revan's Mask (PvP)
ø 2.53   Jar'Kai Sword (PvP)
ø 2.53   Sith Triumvirate (PvE)
ø 2.53   Vanjervalis Chain (RP PvE)
ø 2.50   Mind Trick (PvE)
ø 2.50   T3-M4 (PvE)
ø 2.49   The Shadowlands (PvE)

F.A.Q.
Q: What does the ø number stand for?
A: The chart list on the homepage shows average population index for the last seven days. This population index is calculated from the official server statuses during a day... where 1 is light, 2 is standard and so on. It's updated once every hour.

From http://www.torstatus.net/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:13:28 PM by murdoc »

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  
Jump to: