Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453542 times)
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: July 13, 2017, 11:00:12 AM

Yeah, they're just mini-leagues (anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 weeks) with prizes for whomever has the most xp at the end, usually per-class. Every time I've tried one, I've leveled at less than half the speed of the top players. Last race, streamer Zizaran won the SSFHC race in *two* class categories.

I've been casually running through the 3.0 beta, if anyone wants spoilers. It's mostly good, but boy does act 5 need some tuning.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: July 13, 2017, 12:33:51 PM

Looks like they are giving out randomly drawn prizes to people at different thresholds.  I may play with it for something to do.

Thanks for the info.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: July 13, 2017, 01:10:52 PM

Yeah, they're just mini-leagues (anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 weeks) with prizes for whomever has the most xp at the end, usually per-class. Every time I've tried one, I've leveled at less than half the speed of the top players. Last race, streamer Zizaran won the SSFHC race in *two* class categories.

I've been casually running through the 3.0 beta, if anyone wants spoilers. It's mostly good, but boy does act 5 need some tuning.

Yeah, throw that shit at us.  It's not like a spoiling will stop a 'playing'.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: July 13, 2017, 01:51:24 PM

I meant more if anyone was wondering something specific. There's not a lot of general info to cover since most of the development work for the expansion has gone into new leveling content, which mostly amounts to the walls being a different color as you kill things and wear their hats. Acts 6-10 are mostly retreads of Acts 1-5, so don't expect a ton of new environments past the halfway mark. But it's not worse than playing through the exact same content three times. A lot of the new bosses are fun, some feel a little phoned in, but the Act 5 ones are really punishing for melee (also everyone else, but mostly for melee). They'll probably get tuned down, but even so I wouldn't count on this patch to be the one to fulfill all your Molten Strike dreams.

Normal and Cruel Lab/Izaro are a LOT faster/easier. I haven't tried Merc/Uber yet.

DoTs are nerfed. If you were abusing double-dipping before, your build sucks now. If you don't know what double-dipping was, then they're buffed, but probably not enough to matter.

ES is heavily nerfed and life is slightly buffed, mostly via the raw quantities available on gear.

Several new Support Gems are in (new active skills are planned but not available in beta). Decay is supposed to be great for leveling but isn't available until the high 30's.

Pierce effects are now "pierces X targets" rather than "X% chance to pierce", so small investments are more worthwhile.

Oh, also there's a new UI panel where you use the consumed soul of a slain god to empower yourself with exciting defensive abilities like "30% chance to avoid bleeds" and "10% chance to reduce area damage by 50%". The effects are mostly impossible to notice and it sucks.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: July 14, 2017, 05:57:43 AM

Yeah that's pantheon thing is a good idea but boring af.

I'm going to start the new league with a siege ballista build with all the new support gems.

Unless there are any interesting new skills.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: July 17, 2017, 07:47:12 AM

Races are seasons where players compete for prizes.

There are the usual months long seasons where the race is progression.

Then there are shorter races (minutes, days, weeks, depending) with various goals.  Quite often the objective is progression, sometimes there is some other goal.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Races
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: July 20, 2017, 08:15:31 AM

Expansion is August 4th.
Krushchev
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: July 31, 2017, 01:08:18 AM

I've tried playing this like 6 times. Between the ridiculous currency system and the animations, I hestitate to call it Diablo 2 with nice graphics. More like Diablo 2 with no polish and modern shaders.

I am 100% sure I could get over my issues if they could get the feel right, but they seem completely opposed to taking the time to do that.
The game speeds up and feels much more fluid as you progress. Although I do agree that for example in D3, you're blowing shit up from the start.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: July 31, 2017, 08:20:39 AM

The game speeds up and feels much more fluid as you progress. Although I do agree that for example in D3, you're blowing shit up from the start.

You still play through the game a bajillion times trying to find that 'perfect' spec.  It gets a bit old quickly.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: August 01, 2017, 08:03:12 AM

That's a genre complaint then; if you don't like ARPGs, you don't like ARPGs.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: August 01, 2017, 08:09:31 AM

That's a genre complaint then; if you don't like ARPGs, you don't like ARPGs.

Fair enough. 

I enjoy the genre as a sort of palate cleanser.  ARPG's are fun games to play when between other games.  I also tend to enjoy the 'arms race' that occurs at the beginning of each season of Diablo 3, but seldom last longer than a week.

-  Mark Twain
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: August 01, 2017, 08:24:06 AM

POE has leagues too (and did before D3).

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: August 01, 2017, 08:59:34 AM

POE has leagues too (and did before D3).

I've done a couple of them.  I'm not versed enough in the skill tree to feel like I can really compete. 

I like what POE has done for ARPG's.  The depth and complexity of the skill/gem system really gives depth to the genre.

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #818 on: August 01, 2017, 10:34:06 AM

As a filthy casual, the thing I enjoyed about the leagues was the changes to gameplay and chances at unique items.  I actually haven't looked outside standard for a long time, but when they started (before D3) they provided a place to try out new gameplay and items.  Strongboxes originated in a league, for example.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: August 03, 2017, 12:54:41 PM

Leagues also create new economies.

There are plenty of league starter build guides out there if you really want to be efficient. I did one last league. For 3.0 I'm going to try to create a dark pact (new skill) build from scratch.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #820 on: August 04, 2017, 01:43:04 PM

Available today.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: August 04, 2017, 02:40:58 PM

Well, that didn't last long.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: August 04, 2017, 03:11:54 PM

Just like the good old days of WoW patch day.  Heartbreak

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: August 04, 2017, 03:17:19 PM

6k queue.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:30 PM

6k queue.

Was 30k at 3pm, so things have improved.

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: August 05, 2017, 09:21:51 AM

Yeah, so this has a fundamental flaw ;  those chars that you have who hadn't done all 3 difficulties now have to do acts 5 - 10 and you don't get ANY fucking experience, so it's boring as all fuck.

Sadface.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: August 05, 2017, 02:09:02 PM

I'm trying to do the first labyrinth and so far I've gotten disconnected and sent to town...five times now. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: August 05, 2017, 04:23:45 PM

Dark pact is fuuuuuuuuuuuun.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: August 06, 2017, 01:35:29 PM

Yeah, so this has a fundamental flaw ;  those chars that you have who hadn't done all 3 difficulties now have to do acts 5 - 10 and you don't get ANY fucking experience, so it's boring as all fuck.

Sadface.

A character who hadn't cleared Merc before is probably better off rerolled.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: August 06, 2017, 01:43:44 PM

This is, in fact, not the case.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:14 AM

Hmmn, unplayable owing to disconnects... opening weekend issue or new feature?

Mostly fixed the other issue of unplayable jankiness by returning to the older version of mostly playable lag/rubberband by switching back to presumptive mode. 

In either case, whatever the code they use to manage communications between me and the server seems worse than it was when it was really bad 4 or 5 years ago.

On the plus side, did they fix the MapUI, or did my map settings revert with the update?  Love the MapUI if they fixed it... sad if I had borked usability for 5-yrs if I screwed up the settings.

I'm starting 100% fresh since I experienced a weird hack... I originally downloaded the game from GGG - then I switched it to Steam; so far so good.  Here's the weird hack: the orginal GGG password remained both operable and unchangeable - unchangagle because it was now a Steam managed game, but operable because it was originally a GGG account... so every attempt to change steam password, add 2-factor authentication, and even to change the password direct with GGG did nothing.  Eventually the account was locked.

Such are my ongoing sagas with a game I should love, but for some reason only gives me hate in return.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: August 07, 2017, 07:41:43 AM

I played all weekend without interruption.  Got to level 68.  The game is SO much better in 3.0.  Don't give up on it.

-  Mark Twain
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: August 07, 2017, 10:48:36 AM

I played all weekend without interruption.  Got to level 68.  The game is SO much better in 3.0.  Don't give up on it.

I also did not have any issues other than the fan made build planner sites being overloaded occasionally.  I only made it to ~40.

The new standard league mechanic is pretty vanilla but I do appreciate the extra chaos & alch shards.  Although it's hard to complain too much about a single league mechanic with the amount of good stuff they added from the last couple expansions.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: August 07, 2017, 02:35:27 PM

I'm going to be critical and say that acts 6 and 7 fall pretty flat for me. The environments are uninspired and the refrain of "ancient, terrible god incarnate is wreaking localized havoc for some reason, oops you killed him he's dead forever" just makes no sense story-wise. Additionally I'm pretty unhappy with a lot of the boss design; massive damage telegraphs are getting shorter (or maybe just more subtle?) and the add phases on a few encounters are more of a DPS check than they should be. I'm fine with the side bosses kicking my teeth in, but the Act V boss in particular is a bit of a brick wall for the janky builds I play, given that they're only half-finished at that point.

Game is still awesome and none of this prevented me from poopsocking my way to level 79 over the weekend, where I will continue to happily Flicker my way through maps. No connection issues at all, since I didn't get started until ~8 hours after the launch.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: August 08, 2017, 11:28:04 AM

That sucks to hear, I just started Act 5 so I don't really have an opinion on the later Acts yet.  I do like Act 1-3 WAY more than Act 4 (possibly nostalgia, possibly I just don't understand the story past act 3).  It seems like they want you to round out your character much earlier now that there's not 3 difficulties.  I prefer to cruise though the story mode stuff and worry about gearing and tuning my character in the endgame.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: August 09, 2017, 07:02:52 AM

I got up to 55 or so before I had to jump on a plane.

Dark Pact is so much  fun and as a new skill there is also the entrainment of figuring out the best setup to go with it. I'm a filthy casual but I still enjoy the theorycrafting.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: August 10, 2017, 10:35:16 AM

There really is a pretty massive jump up in difficulty when you get to the new content. It's actually a huge relief to begin mapping again because you step back down several difficulty notches even with the postgame resistance hits. I ended up just graveyard zerging the act 10 boss basically. A lot of that was my resists being more terrible than they usually are at that point of the game probably, and at least some of it was just not knowing all of the telegraphs yet, but it felt pretty punishing.

Other than some difficulty wonkiness though, I really liked all of the added content. Shame that I don't think any of it has made it into the map system yet though. I'd really like to go back and fight some of the new bosses with an actually close to finished build down the line.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: August 10, 2017, 11:23:31 AM

There really is a pretty massive jump up in difficulty when you get to the new content.

I noticed this too.  Kitavi (sp?) was probably the toughest fight I've ever done in the game. 

I welcome the challenge though it does seem to push players into the current meta builds rather than allowing for experimentation.

-  Mark Twain
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #838 on: August 21, 2017, 07:44:28 AM

The Act 10 boss is not fun.  Even with max resists, endurance charges, arctic armor and 3200 life he just crushes me.  Then his add phase happens and you need WAY higher dps than any of the Act 10 content to even reasonably keep them under control.  If they want to keep him that difficult then they shouldn't gate maps behind him.  You never had to do merciless Dominus or Piety before you could start mapping.  All of the other bosses between Acts 6-10 felt reasonably fair even if I do think they are in general too hard.  They have too much health and I feel like they are going overboard with the "don't stand in the goo".  I have no issue with them making hard end game bosses, but don't put them in story mode and don't gate the way to farm the gear you need to beat the boss behind the boss.

It doesn't help that there is no death log.  How do I know what I died to when it happens in less than a second and there's 10 different attacks on the screen at the same time?  All the debuffs and such disappear instantly.   It's not like you can pause the game or stand there and look at what his auras or curses do.  How do you know that the beam that looks like fire even does fire damage?  I had to look at a reddit post to find out one bosses red-ish beam did lightning damage.

Boss ranting aside, I did like the new content.  A few of the areas like the one with the stained glass and the desert look really great.  I agree that the story is pretty meh.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: August 21, 2017, 09:01:01 AM

Boss ranting aside, I did like the new content.  A few of the areas like the one with the stained glass and the desert look really great.  I agree that the story is pretty meh.

There's story?  I was too busy spamming buttons to read.  why so serious?

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: