Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453551 times)
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: August 31, 2014, 12:06:39 AM

Welp, died at 60 on my hardcore guy in the most horrific Haku gauntlet yet. Too many mobs, running around narrow corridors and not being able to find stairs are not good when it comes to the game's desync issues it turns out. Note for the future; take at least 2 quartz flasks when doing a Haku mission, as one just doesn't cut it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #666 on: September 02, 2014, 06:27:21 AM

Choppiness keeps me out of hardcore.  I mean, I'd end up dying somewhere and feeling like I wasted my time.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: September 02, 2014, 06:40:11 AM

That's a bummer, I went with Rampage this time around because I never got a char past 50-60 in the last HC league.  Haku missions really are dangerous.   The one with the falling rocks is just obnoxious on damage.  You take one wrong turn and it's almost better to just portal out and call it a loss.  I hadn't thought about quartz flasks for him, I'd been using 2-3 quicksilvers.  I'll have to give them a try.   Vagan is also really dangerous, some of his missions spawn at a really high level and the one where he has multiple flame blast followers can one shot you easily.  So far I have 3 - level 4 masters and the Assassin guy at lv 5 and the rest at lv 3.  Seems like a long road even to get them to 6.

I'm at 68 on my freeze pulse shadow and his dps is great even with terrible gear (~6800 with lmp) but his defense is horrid.  I need to be running arctic armor but I still don't have enough mana regen and I accidentally over leveled my AA gem for the regen that I do have.  Also I need to switch a couple pieces of my gear to ev/es but trying to find the pieces with the right stats gets really expensive.  I have a ton of unreserved mana I need to use to run another aura (currently clarity and herald of ice), or I'm going to blow a ton of currency and buy a Cloak of Defiance and see if running MoM is feasible.

I did find a carto box in the docks yesterday so I have about a half chest full of maps now that I can play around with.   I also managed to find the Map Master in the first map I did which seems pretty lucky as I've heard people complaining that she can be rare.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:41:58 AM by Druzil »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: September 02, 2014, 08:17:22 AM

...I'm at 68 on my freeze pulse shadow and his dps is great even with terrible gear (~6800 with lmp) but his defense is horrid...
Ive been wanting to try something out like that. Would you be willing to link your build?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: September 02, 2014, 10:10:00 AM

Current build (level 68)
Current build

Finalish build (maybe):
End game through templar life build

Another version I dumped that went through the scion life wheel
Scion life variant

Yet another version that goes for more flask nodes
Flask node variant

I'm currently using a 4 link with:  Freezing pulse/Increased Critical Multi/LMP/Spell Echo, although I get very similar damage in a 3 link with a +2 cold damage wand and removing spell echo.   I build power charges with Assassins Mark.  Once I get a 5 link I'm going to play around with adding cold pen, added lightning or added chaos.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:14:20 AM by Druzil »
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:41 PM

This second time around is much better as I have an actual plan from the start instead of in the 40's, so it's probably a good thing I died. Managed to get an amazing two-handed sword along with a Multistrike gem and I already feel more powerful now in my 40's than when I was 60. I want to go either dual wield or shield later on though, but for now the raw damage output combat with the fast aoe attacks that heal each hit is more than enough.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: September 08, 2014, 06:36:51 AM

I traded for a Cloak of Defiance and upgraded some of my terrible gear.  I'm now running lv 17 Arctic Armor with Mind Over Matter and it made a huge difference.  Also working on my CWDT setup, I'm thinking enduring cry + molten shell, I just need to get the right color sockets, I may have to swap an evasion for an armor piece.

Started doing maps and I'm breezing through lv 68 maps now.  The only death I had was against some rogue exile that flame blasted me from off the screen.  I didn't die at first but then I was curious as to what it was that almost one shot me and went back in for a second look, that was a mistake.

Playing around with some new character ideas as well, thinking about an ele cleave duelist or an arc with next.  I also have an old ST scion that I'm trying to dig up but the character has serious mana issues.  I think I need to rework the tree a bit to see if I can pickup some mana regen somewhere.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: September 08, 2014, 09:11:53 AM

I also have an old ST scion that I'm trying to dig up but the character has serious mana issues.  I think I need to rework the tree a bit to see if I can pickup some mana regen somewhere.

That scion of yours has some serious run speed though. It was tough to keep up with while on my slow marauder.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #673 on: September 08, 2014, 02:33:33 PM

Vorici missions are tough for zookeepers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: September 12, 2014, 07:55:06 AM

That scion of yours has some serious run speed though. It was tough to keep up with while on my slow marauder.

You just need a few quicksilvers and a faster attacks gem  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I made it up to level 69 maps, then fell back down to 67 and now I have like 3 68's again.  I'm transmute/alt/aug'ing all of them before running.  Hoping I can break into the 70+ maps here soon.

Also I ran into Igna Phoenix for the first time, yikes!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: November 24, 2014, 09:09:38 PM

Started playing this again, got my Scion up to 74. Using a 5L Wings of Entropy and Dual Strike, I'm smashing through maps with 33k dps. Now that the story is over, the game works well in quick 30m-1h chunks; I'm slowly working on my masters too so I can actually make some decent gear.

Also, finally got us the <F13> guild tag. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: February 16, 2015, 07:53:20 AM

So I haven't really touched this in months but I just saw the rumors that the next expansion will release in April that adds in Act 4 (among other stuff I'm sure).  Also apparently they may be dropping cruel difficult so you'll only have to go through the game twice.  I'm not sure if there's much more info available on it yet but they are usually pretty good about posting some teasers beforehand, so hopefully we get some official news soon.

If true, I guess I'll be setting aside some PoE playtime for April!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: February 19, 2015, 12:01:39 PM

Awesome. I've been playing off and on still, and it will be nice to have some f13 activity.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: April 10, 2015, 01:21:51 PM

No April release (signups for closed beta on the 20th are open though) and cruel is here to stay, but a few upcoming changes are teased here and here.

The main new thing is that there's a new item type you can socket into your passive tree because fuck it, what else is left?
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: April 13, 2015, 09:25:42 AM

I feel like dumping cruel and getting people to maps faster would have been the right move.  Maps is one of the best parts of the game and they just hide it behind too much grinding.  D3 finally let people go right into adventure mode at level 1 for seasons, this seems like the same thing.  Act 3 is already pretty long and now with a whole new act AND going through it 3 times ... meh.

Still the Act 4 teasers look pretty sweet so I'll check it out for a bit at least.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #680 on: July 08, 2015, 08:27:49 AM

My single large problem with PoE is supposedly going away.  Patch notes say "Desync is a thing of the past."

I suppose I'll have to find out for myself.

JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: July 08, 2015, 03:13:57 PM

My single large problem with PoE is supposedly going away.  Patch notes say "Desync is a thing of the past."

I suppose I'll have to find out for myself.

Lockstep is a wonderful setting providing you live close to one of their servers and have a steady ping.

Predictive mode (like what is on live) is a fair amount better than live, but you can still desync in certain situations.

From the login screen you can select the server based on ping, making the choice between the two easier.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #682 on: July 08, 2015, 06:06:36 PM

I didn't know any of that but I might as well just wait a few days.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: July 09, 2015, 07:09:08 AM

It's a thing on the beta for the expansion; feels much better although I never had huge desync problems because I keybound /oos to a macro key.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #684 on: July 09, 2015, 08:19:53 AM

I thought about somehow assigning /oos to my left mouse button.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: July 09, 2015, 09:55:59 AM

For those who haven't been paying attention: in just over 24 hours, Path of Exile's first major content expansion, The Awakening, is releasing. I've been playing it on the beta realm, and it's a good 'un. Major features:

Act 4: A whole new act has been added to the game, and the parts of it I've managed to test have been really good. Parts of it take place in a nightmare world so there are varied environments and interesting encounters, and none of the sloggy feel that Act 3 tends to give off. There are a shitton of new bosses that are supposed to be farmable for decent loot drops, for characters getting started at endgame who want an alternate progression to map running, but maps still open up in act 3 so if that's your thing you don't have to deal with their merciless versions at all. To accomodate a new act's worth of stuff, the zone progression for the rest of the game has been streamlined: most 2- and 3-level dungeons have been compressed into 1- and 2-level dungeons, Coves is nuked from the game, the left side of Act 2 is shuffled around to be less backtracky, etc.

New items and skills: There are a bunch of new weapon bases with a new inherent for every weapon type, so you can get daggers with block instead of crit, wands with cast speed instead of spell damage, etc. There are now jewels that socket into your passive tree because why the hell not, and cards that drop in specific areas and can be traded for certain types of items, allowing players to direct their farming a bit. Additionally there are all the new skill gems one would expect from a major patch, and some major changes to the passive tree that shake up a lot of existing builds. RIP Ondar's Guile, we hardly knew ye.

Netcode improvements (for real): As mentioned in the posts above, there's a new, optional, synchronous netcode model that disables client prediction entirely. This means the game never desyncs since the client only displays exactly what the server tells it to, but the experience is more laggy since it has to wait for server confirmation before displaying anything, including player movement. Playing at 50 ping I adjust to the latency within minutes, but it may not be suitable for higher-ping connections. The good news is that while revisiting the game's netcode they found and fixed a ton of issues that affect the old predictive model, and it's way, way better than it used to be. I inadvertently switched back to it at one point (fresh install reverted my settings) and played as a melee character for days before I noticed a desync. It certainly took them long enough, but the netcode feels really solid now.

Revamped skill gem progression: This is actually my favorite change of the entire beta. Vendors now sell skill gems, they're cheap, and almost every gem becomes available to multiple classes by the end of Normal difficulty. This means you can actually have a fully working build by the end of Normal without having to trade or run a ton of mule alts through the early game just for their quest rewards. Replaying the early game is so, so much more enjoyable now that characters aren't nearly so hamstrung by arbitrary skill choices, which is really important to me since I play hardcore and suck at it.

Other QoL stuff: Customizable item filters let you choose which loot you want to be highlighted. New gateways should reduce ping for lots of players. NPC and player names are now less inclined to attack the user. why so serious?

As far as I can tell, there's not a single negative change here (even though I'm not especially fond of jewels). If you played once and got turned off by the clunky early game or godawful netcode, you should really give the game another try tomorrow (well, maybe next week depending on how the launch goes). If you played a lot and burned out, it's worth coming back for a once-through of the new content. New leagues are opening up with the expansion so if you want to be in on the ground floor economically you can do that. Good stuff all around.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: July 09, 2015, 09:57:15 AM

Also, inactive character names are getting nuked so maybe log in anyway, just in case? The inactivity threshold is one year.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #687 on: July 09, 2015, 10:09:23 AM

Sounds great.  I'll have to carve out some time to try it.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: July 09, 2015, 10:47:42 AM

Revamped skill gem progression...

Man that's a good change.  I got really tired of running throw away characters through Brutus or Merveil just because I needed a gem off another class.  Hopefully they also added a way to get some support gems like Reduced Mana, Blood magic, etc.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: July 09, 2015, 10:57:50 AM

I like it just for the stash tabs it will free up.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: July 10, 2015, 06:54:58 AM

The full patch novel
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1304441

Devourers now do less damage when ambushing you.

Heart
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: July 12, 2015, 08:28:30 AM

I need a newbie guide or something, i'm completely lost in that massive passive tree.  Haven't spent a single point from being paralyzed with indecision.

I am the .00000001428%
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: July 12, 2015, 09:39:16 AM

I need a newbie guide or something, i'm completely lost in that massive passive tree.  Haven't spent a single point from being paralyzed with indecision.
Don't be a wuss, hop in there and screw up a few characters in order to learn the game like the rest of us did.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: July 12, 2015, 11:09:09 AM

I actually went in and looked at all my characters and nearly all of them have skills to assign over with un-usable equipment until I do. I did assign skills with one character and completed a quest I had which now grants one of the new jewels (so yah new characters will benefit from additional jewels), and it won't let me actually add it to Passive skills? Is it broken? I also just wanted to go in and click kill mindlessly, but instead am picking skills and fighting with new things, while fumbling through remembering how to play.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: July 12, 2015, 11:59:08 AM

There are new skill nodes you have to take that you can then put the jewels in.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: July 12, 2015, 02:25:10 PM

Revamped skill gem progression...
Hopefully they also added a way to get some support gems like Reduced Mana, Blood magic, etc.

The Act IV vendor sells Blood Magic, Reduced Mana, et all after completing a certain quest.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: July 12, 2015, 08:16:47 PM

Don't be a wuss, hop in there and screw up a few characters in order to learn the game like the rest of us did.
Basically this; as long as you choose things that are vaguely applicable to your character you'll be able to get through Normal, and by then you'll think of a new cool-sounding skill combo to try and will want to reroll anyway.

The only good advice is that life nodes are more important than you think they are. This remains true no matter how important you think life nodes are.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: July 12, 2015, 08:37:53 PM

I'll second what ezrast said; every character can benefit from taking more survivability nodes. You can get through Normal as a glass cannon, but eventually you'll hit a wall where you die so often your xp loss outweighs what you gain.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #698 on: July 13, 2015, 07:02:51 AM

Basically this; as long as you choose things that are vaguely applicable to your character you'll be able to get through Normal, and by then you'll think of a new cool-sounding skill combo to try and will want to reroll anyway.

The only good advice is that life nodes are more important than you think they are. This remains true no matter how important you think life nodes are.

Agreed, just start playing the game and learn to love the bomb.  Your main character is actually your stash.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: July 13, 2015, 07:19:05 AM

Ok fine! what's the most newbie friendly class?

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: