Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:07:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 457044 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #595 on: November 28, 2013, 07:52:30 PM

I can't get in to this game and am finding a brief return to D3 more fun.   I don't think I like ARPGs.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: November 28, 2013, 09:28:57 PM

So is there a nemesis guild?

I've logged 100+ hours in by myself. Currently, a lvl 37 shadow. Name: Zumux.
Yes we have a guild; they aren't league specific but a few of us play on Nemesis. I'll add you next time I'm online.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: December 05, 2013, 05:18:11 AM

I'm nearing the end of Cruel on my Nem Scion; had a close call against Piety but managed to port out and heal. Killed my first Inner Treasure mob, who dropped some crappy boots but at least gave me a cool 1 next to my name. I'm pretty worried about Dominus, so I'm gonna farm a bit and try to buy a few upgrades before I mess with him.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: December 05, 2013, 12:31:37 PM

Back up to 51 and getting that now-familiar "everything deals slightly more damage than I'm comfortable with for farming" feeling. Hrm.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #599 on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:50 PM

Back up to 51 and getting that now-familiar "everything deals slightly more damage than I'm comfortable with for farming" feeling. Hrm.

Yeah I still get lost around that 40-50 area. My twink gear runs out, its not like I have tons of currency to spend..

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: December 05, 2013, 08:39:11 PM

Lost my Scion at 54 to a Corrupting Blood Undying Archivist (I think that's what they're called; the proximity shield things in Sceptre). Ran out of charges on my staunching flask and couldn't port out in time. Rolled a Witch to try out Storm Call, but not sure if I wanna go heavy ES or life.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #601 on: December 06, 2013, 12:13:34 AM

Is Storm Call any good? It looks and feels pretty mediocre to me. That delay before it fires is pretty killer.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: December 10, 2013, 07:30:46 PM

Cruel Dominus down. It took three tries, and grinding all the way to 60 in Catacombs to get 3200 life, and a fuckton of portal scrolls, but I made it.

Both times I bailed were because I wasn't expecting how much stronger his adds are in Cruel. First in phase 3; I didn't fully grok how his kamikaze minion debuff worked, wandered too close the the minion spawner, and took like five explosions to the face. Noped out of there and that's when I decided to grind out 4-5 more levels for the 34% Thick Skin life cluster.

Second time was in phase 4; I just got surrounded by adds and didn't trust myself to port out/in safely so I logged out instead. Third time I survived by prioritizing minions, which even with Flicker and Whirling Blades was no easy task since they're nigh-invisible against the level background and the blood rain and Dominus' giant model. Eventually he stopped summoning them and I was able to just facetank him for the last third or so of his HP.

One thing that life characters can do at this point that helps a ton is to spend some currency optimizing flasks (use vendor recipes if you don't have the highest-grade flasks available for your level). Alts are cheap and a high-grade instant life flask plus some saturated life/hybrid flasks are so, so helpful. My first couple Dominus tries I was running double staunching flasks, which is unnecessary, at least for melee. Swapping out a mana flask of staunching for a saturated hybrid helped me stay in the fight much longer without having to stop dps to run and port.

Side note: I have no idea how ES characters are expected to do Dominus, especially ones without Ghost Reaver. He does so much consistent damage in phase 4 I just can't see surviving it without massive twinking.

Anyway, now that my hands have stopped shaking... it's time to burn through Act 1 and spend the rest of my natural life farming Felshrine.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #603 on: December 19, 2013, 06:55:56 AM

Been playing this a little. Level 25 melee/frenzy Ranger (just because), and I just found my first unique. A level five short bow...

Yay?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: December 19, 2013, 07:55:40 AM

Is it Quill Rain, or the other low level unique bow that gives +1 to everything? Quill rain is awesome - fun to level with, and you can build some interesting character concepts around it.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:30 AM

A lot of uniques are meant to be given to a new character to build a concept around it.  I do wish they could be leveled though, as my Queen's Decree will make a poor weapon later on.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #606 on: December 19, 2013, 09:15:05 AM

Yea, it's Quill Rain and its pretty funny (shoots 3.5 arrows per second). I tried it on some lev 16 mobs near town - took about 50 shots to kill one.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:13 AM

I think the most common way to use it is to link up cast on crit with split projecticles and some damage spell (EK?) The damage doesnt come from the bow at all, just the fact that your are shitting out arrows at a ridiculous pace means your gonna score alot of crits, which translates to alot of freely casted spells. Check out this clip for a proof of concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cik4SeE7uBs
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #608 on: December 19, 2013, 10:27:45 AM

Sometimes I think I'm doing this game all wrong.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: December 19, 2013, 05:02:10 PM

If you aren't having any fun, then yes you might be doing it wrong. 

Somebody earlier in this thread said, and I think requires repeating, do not get connected to each individual character. Instead be attached to and consider your cache your character.  By doing this I have no problem throwing away a bad build, and I just go digging through my cache to come up with another idea to try out. I have had some spectacular failures as well as really fun builds. I never copy builds from the forums.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #610 on: December 19, 2013, 05:23:41 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the people that said that. awesome, for real

I'm having a good time.  What I meant was that I haven't figured out some of the less obvious synergies; I'm thinking this means that I'm missing some elements of the game mechanics.  This is mostly due to a low amount of playtime and not reading forums.  Also, since I am paid to figure out shit, it seems that I no longer want to figure out shit in my free time.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: December 19, 2013, 08:23:16 PM

I understand. Even though I don't use forum builds, I do read a fair bit of the posts that talk about skill interactions.  Part of what I like about this style of game is the figuring out stuff part. I wish I had a solution for you. I want everyone to enjoy this game as much as I do.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: December 19, 2013, 10:25:57 PM

You're not alone. I feel like my grip on the game mechanics is really solid, but my builds leave a lot to be desired compared to what I see from streamers (I never copy builds directly). My kill speed definitely decreases as I level rather than the opposite.

I suspect a lot of the gap is that I don't participate in the market very much, though. That stuff is daunting.

(this is an observation, not a complaint. I love the heck out of this game)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #613 on: December 23, 2013, 01:08:07 PM

Actually the market is probably a big one.  I am mostly using found gear, and we all know that means I'm not going to shine like the Twitch TV jocks.  Whatever.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #614 on: December 24, 2013, 04:52:44 AM

Went back and gave a different class a try as Ranger was proving boring.  Enjoying the Witch as a necromancer but then I hit the bosses.  Fuck, nothing to summon additional minions from, just fantastic.  Can't get past the ice bitch at all now as I took the 'minion health' gem instead of the 'summon skeleton' gem. 

No interest in farming until some random gem drops.  Back to the shelf with this one.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: December 24, 2013, 01:21:38 PM

Did you forget it's a multiplayer game?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: December 24, 2013, 07:31:38 PM

It is?  I thought it was a solo player experience with a barrens chat tacked on for... some reason.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: December 25, 2013, 01:19:22 AM

It warms my heart to see this thread going in the same direction as Diablo 3 with regards to single player/multiplayer.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #618 on: December 25, 2013, 05:12:39 AM

Did you forget it's a multiplayer game?

It warms my heart to see this thread going in the same direction as Diablo 3 with regards to single player/multiplayer.

Yup.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: December 25, 2013, 08:42:42 AM

Have you played multiplayer RPGs before?

People go too fast, meaning you can't hardly pause to pick up your loot.

Apparently in this game, if a piece of loot drops, it's assigned to someone.  If that someone isn't you, you can't touch it.  Given "People go to fast", no one's going to loop back to pick up a piece of loot just so they can hand it to you.

If I could play with friends, that would be one thing.  But as we all know, leveling up together never works out.

I really hate feeling like a fifth wheel in a group.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: December 25, 2013, 12:22:46 PM

Apparently in this game, if a piece of loot drops, it's assigned to someone.  If that someone isn't you, you can't touch it.  Given "People go to fast", no one's going to loop back to pick up a piece of loot just so they can hand it to you.
Group leader can choose FFA, timed allocation, or permanent allocation for loot. With regard to other people getting loot you feel should be yours, perma is by fear the least of the evils.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: December 28, 2013, 06:36:43 AM

Have you played multiplayer RPGs before?

People go too fast, meaning you can't hardly pause to pick up your loot.

If I could play with friends, that would be one thing.  But as we all know, leveling up together never works out.

I really hate feeling like a fifth wheel in a group.

To expand a bit, don't feel bad about being the fifth wheel. Even if you bring 0 aura's and 0 DPS to a farming group, you still are adding value by improving monster loot quantity and exp just by being another person in the party. Often times the people who start those groups can solo clear whatever they are farming even if all the other players do nothing - and the founder of the group is happy to get the boost to monster loot/exp.

RE: Summoners - its pretty difficult to actually play as a summoner till around lvl 40. What most people do is get all the summoner talents as they level, but play like a ranged caster till their summons come online. Low level characters with the intention of becoming summoners usually end up doing alot of 5th wheeling.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #622 on: January 04, 2014, 08:27:01 AM

No interest in farming until some random gem drops.  Back to the shelf with this one.

Dump your shit into the stash and make a new witch with a funnier name.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #623 on: January 04, 2014, 10:52:59 AM

I made a barbarian with a funnier name instead.

AngerMcMad he's amusing.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #624 on: January 06, 2014, 09:50:41 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #625 on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:01 AM

I can't be arsed to learn the names of things they're using to be different.  He's a mucled half-naked man who uses 2h weapons.  He's a barbarian.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: January 22, 2014, 11:45:52 AM

Just lost a level 41 Ranger in Nemesis because the game lagged out on me. I wasn't even in combat, just exploring the Cavern of Anger when my ping shot up to 2k. I exited game immediately; came back in Standard.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #627 on: January 22, 2014, 12:11:22 PM

Couple days ago, I had awful lag/desync as soon as I hit Dominus' roof.  Managed to kill the three oranges, but then there was some sort of spark explosion and I was dead.  OH WELL, that's why I am not playing hardcore.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: January 22, 2014, 02:33:42 PM

I'm taking a break from HC too, at least until the new league starts. I don't feel like rolling a new toon with only a month before Nemesis ends, and I have no items in regular HC so I'm playing my Standard toons.

Took my old fireball witch off the shelf, and I'm working my way through A2 Cruel on her.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #629 on: February 19, 2014, 11:10:28 AM

Sync problems have caused me to stop playing this for a while.  They don't seem to be getting better.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: