Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:41:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453745 times)
Ssath
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: October 29, 2013, 04:28:53 PM

Ah, ok. Makes sense.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #526 on: November 07, 2013, 11:44:31 AM

I'm playing this until I die again. It does look nicer but the performance on steam seems even worse than I remember. Even solo and without that many mobs on screen I'm seeing tons of noticeable instances of desync. The game takes like 1 hour to start up and load for some reason which is obnoxious.

That said overall it looks much better than I remember and I'm going to try very hard to not die.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: November 07, 2013, 12:03:49 PM

That may be on your end.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: November 07, 2013, 02:18:05 PM

I'm playing this until I die again. It does look nicer but the performance on steam seems even worse than I remember. Even solo and without that many mobs on screen I'm seeing tons of noticeable instances of desync. The game takes like 1 hour to start up and load for some reason which is obnoxious.

That said overall it looks much better than I remember and I'm going to try very hard to not die.

I also notice a large delay when starting up. I do not recall it being that bad when I played previously (last spring?) on the same machine. I am playing via steam now as well.

I also feel like during prime time the game lags quite often. I've had more than a few sessions where I login my nemesis character, try to move some gear in my inventory and get frustrated by the delay and just give up and go to another character or game.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #529 on: November 08, 2013, 06:46:48 AM

I can't even get the game to connect to the server unless I log in to a VPN first. Hell if I know why. And yes, it takes a bloody hour to load.

Still, satisfies my "ooh, I'll just do one more area to get that next point!" craving.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #530 on: November 08, 2013, 10:37:25 AM

Fire Trap Shadow is kinda squishy, but the fire and forget mentality of it is satisfying.  What is that?  900 million mobs?  multi trap multip trap run wooooooooooo.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: November 08, 2013, 02:13:07 PM

Almost finished Act 3 with my frost witch.  Definitely takes way to long for the game to start up.  Seems to run ok for the most part after that, though.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #532 on: November 09, 2013, 08:27:14 AM

We had our first three-member guild chat last night.  We're on fire!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: November 09, 2013, 08:08:26 PM

I'm retarded at this game, apparently.  I go from kicking ass with a character to raped all the time in one zone. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: November 09, 2013, 10:24:15 PM

I tried my hand at a couple of the race events. For the 1-hour solo I got to level 15 with an EK/fire trap Shadow, putting me at 74 overall and 5th in the class. Then I got 120 overall and 8th in class in the Endless Ledge race with a firestorm/fire trap witch, but that character only had ~41 minutes played because I died once. The witch result is inflated because the event had no rewards and took place early U.S. morning, but it still leaves me thinking that firestorm is surprisingly good. I wonder why I don't see more of it.

For both races the front of the pack was level 20-22. I know I have some inefficiencies to iron out but yikes, those people are monsters.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #535 on: November 10, 2013, 10:56:38 AM

I'm retarded at this game, apparently.  I go from kicking ass with a character to raped all the time in one zone.  

That's the game. That will happen to basically any character no matter the build if you are doing self found. There just comes a time when you need to stop and blow currency to up your items.

I'm almost out of Act 2 Nemesis with around 8 hours played (so slow) on a really simple really bad melee build that I figured would work starting on my new steam linked acct. I know one of those jumps is coming for me since the game hasn't been being overly kind with upgrades. Either that or I'll kill myself.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: November 10, 2013, 11:00:45 AM

I don't mind blowing currency to adjust gear.  But then they penalize you if you're too high level by reducing currency drops, so I just end up undergeared with no currency items dropping.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: November 10, 2013, 07:24:54 PM

Just died at level 53, right after blowing 5 chaos on a fancy unique chestpiece. I always underestimate the "easy" areas. This time it was cruel Docks, which I attempted to run with 48% fire resist.

Conventional wisdom is not to put points into resists in the tree because you'll overcap yourself at endgame, but that's bunk. I'm not using my free respec points on anything else anyway and the extra resists give so much more flexibility with leveling gear, I'm taking every resist possible on my characters from here on out.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: November 12, 2013, 06:58:01 AM

I have a nice 53 Scion atm. Nothing special in the gear but it's an evasion build with generally 63% evade 40% dodge and 30% dodge spells. Throw in a +30 life with hit on my spectral throw and decent resists and I'm doing pretty well even though I only have 1100 health.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: November 12, 2013, 07:25:42 AM

What happens to your characters/stuff when a league ends?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #540 on: November 12, 2013, 08:27:43 AM

Dumped into the Standard league.  The league stash tabs and all of your shit show up in your Standard stash as read-only.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #541 on: November 12, 2013, 08:33:25 AM

Dumped into the Standard league.  The league stash tabs and all of your shit show up in your Standard stash as read-only.

Domination league  goes to Standard
Nemesis League goes to Hardcore

But if you die in Nemesis, you'll be dumped in standard (just like the plain hardcore)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:05 AM

I also notice a large delay when starting up. I do not recall it being that bad when I played previously (last spring?) on the same machine.

Yeah, holy crap. Booted up the other night and now know what you guys mean. Something is definitely wrong there, and its definitely a new occurrence.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #543 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:43 AM

It has always taken me a long time to get the game started, and I've not found any way to speed it up.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: November 12, 2013, 10:39:01 AM

While it's never been speedy, the load times have definitely gotten worse since closed beta days.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #545 on: November 12, 2013, 11:42:36 AM

You can make it stop by turning off pre loading or downgrading which quality textures the game uses. Apparently the game pre-loads like everything and so you sit there for a minute while it goes.

I'm in a bind on my newb Nemesis guy, other than jewelry none of his gear is good enough but I'm well past the point of wanting to be in Act3, can't farm docks anymore so time to move on. Gotta try to leech a Dom kill and get to cruel without getting myself killed. Hopefully I can get some luck or some drops early in cruel before it gets too hard for him.

-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #546 on: November 12, 2013, 12:33:02 PM

I got lucky on item upgrades just recently and nearly doubled my DPS.  Only took a handful of trinkets, too.  Which is great since it's my "I have 45% evade chance and that's it" ranger. Ohhhhh, I see.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #547 on: November 12, 2013, 05:45:18 PM

I've been having a bout of altitis since hitting 70ish on my Spectral Throw dude.

Going full crit daggers is fun..but you need expensive shit to make it work well.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: November 12, 2013, 06:59:16 PM

One thing they need to implement is the ability to turn off exp for a short time to facilitate easier farming of low to mid level stuff. All too often you are left with terrible gear early game and not enough currency/luck to change that easily.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #549 on: November 13, 2013, 12:18:56 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: November 13, 2013, 06:21:50 AM

Unannounced in patch 1.0.1 was a bug that made Carrion Queens deal several times as much damage as they were supposed to. Several hours later they fixed the bug and restored 732 dead hardcore characters back to their original leagues. It's cool that they went out of their way to ameliorate the losses - they didn't have to; hardcore player culture generally dictates that when you die, you suck it up and reroll with a minimum of bitching no matter how bullshitty the circumstances - but extra cool that they have all the infrastructure in place to identify the affected characters, roll back their deaths (characters not hit by queens weren't brought back), and patch out the bug with, like, five minutes of downtime. Try as I might to stay cynical, I'm finding myself with a lot of faith in this dev team.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #551 on: November 13, 2013, 10:03:31 AM

One thing they need to implement is the ability to turn off exp for a short time to facilitate easier farming of low to mid level stuff. All too often you are left with terrible gear early game and not enough currency/luck to change that easily.

I believe they have the mindset of "Roll an alt and stash the loot".  I'm finding that I can't be too attached to characters in this game and still obtain the full enjoyment.  My current view is that my stash is my main character and the avatars are very elaborate weapons that can equip other weapons.

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: November 13, 2013, 10:46:57 AM

Diminishing returns only apply to currency items if you are farming zones below your level. from the wiki:

There is a penalty to the chance of currency items (scrolls, orbs, etc.) dropping in areas with a monster level more than two levels lower than your character level. For each additional level that you have compared to the area's monster level+2, the chance of a currency item drop is reduced by 2.5%.
So if you are level 30 in a level 20 area, you will see 20% less currency item drops on average:
2.5*(30-(20+2))=20
A level 30 character in a level 28 area will see no penalty.
Currency item drops are not increased or decreased in this way when fighting in areas above your level.
For the purposes of this penalty, your level is never considered to be higher than 68[3][4]. Therefore a level 75 character receives no penalty in a level 66 area.

Item drops are not affected at all. I've had some close calls on my nemesis ranger, so I've spent my last few sessions farming Merveil on both Cruel and normal to build up my stash of items for my future characters.
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: November 13, 2013, 11:25:54 AM

Unannounced in patch 1.0.1 was a bug that made Carrion Queens deal several times as much damage as they were supposed to. Several hours later they fixed the bug and restored 732 dead hardcore characters back to their original leagues. It's cool that they went out of their way to ameliorate the losses - they didn't have to; hardcore player culture generally dictates that when you die, you suck it up and reroll with a minimum of bitching no matter how bullshitty the circumstances - but extra cool that they have all the infrastructure in place to identify the affected characters, roll back their deaths (characters not hit by queens weren't brought back), and patch out the bug with, like, five minutes of downtime. Try as I might to stay cynical, I'm finding myself with a lot of faith in this dev team.

Back from the dead, most unexpectedly.  Multi-shot Carrion Queen got me; I'm still new to the game so I didn't catch that it would return as an apparition as soon as I knocked it down and just didn't have the health pool to kill it twice in a row.  They were pretty comically powerful post-patch, I figured that's what I deserved for playing HC on patch day.  I did smile when I saw the "Carrion Queens are doing too much damage" message about 30 minutes later.  Unexpected spike in player deaths is a pretty strong tell for a bug in the wild.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #554 on: November 13, 2013, 11:59:54 AM

Abandoned melee templar who is at the end of normal @ L40 since cast on damage taken just got obliterated. Not sure what to roll anymore. Templars seem to be a in a really bad place right now their best uses are as tri curse support types but that isn't something one should role when you are solo/pub I would think.

-William Gibson
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: November 13, 2013, 03:09:19 PM

Abandoned melee templar who is at the end of normal @ L40 since cast on damage taken just got obliterated. Not sure what to roll anymore. Templars seem to be a in a really bad place right now their best uses are as tri curse support types but that isn't something one should role when you are solo/pub I would think.

I think I get what you mean, sort of, I just can't wrap my head around it.  How can any "class" be in a bad place when "class" just refers to starting location on a giant tree of passives that literally has many unblocked passages to any area of the passive tree? Or did you mean that the cookie cutter popular Templar builds are no longer FOTM?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #556 on: November 13, 2013, 05:56:58 PM

Templars are stupid, play something else.

Really, though, it doesn't matter.  Find someone starting near skills you like and go to town.  Or pick the blond chick if you can't decide.  Sword/board plus zombies and auras, let's kick it.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #557 on: November 13, 2013, 06:31:26 PM

I think what you are overlooking Penn or maybe you just don't play HC so who would care is that while any starting point can end up looking like build X usually some starting points create much worse characters along the way than others. From my experience its mainly about is the character going to survive Cruel or not. If/once you do that its all down to you not fucking up while you flesh out and solidify the build, gear, gems etc. But getting from 40 to 60 is a serious bitch and starting from the right point so that the build is solid during that timeframe does matter if you don't want to die and have to start over.

I'm always trying to force templar because they are left handed and that makes me happy even though they are probably the worst in terms of the whole hobo early levels w/ the no pants stuff. If I was pure min/max I'd just go Marauder (and I have gone marauder atm) but I'm already dreaming of how I can resurrect crit freeze pulse even though nobody seems to be playing it much anymore.

Thing is I think I need a lot of gems I don't have and probably a bigger currency base so I can make FP work so I guess I'll make a run at getting to 60 on a simple marauder that could probably go EK or Spec Throw if he makes it.

-William Gibson
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: November 13, 2013, 07:11:56 PM

Yeah, I don't play hardcore modes in this game yet because they still have serious bouts of desync and I am not a masochist. Still it is sad that people are forced to make pretty much the same build over and over just to survive hardcore modes.  They seem reasonably competent as developers though, so I am sure at least they are trying to figure out a way out of that trap.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: November 13, 2013, 08:33:37 PM

Yeah, this is maybe the only game I've played where there are actually more viable end-game builds than leveling builds. The limited mid-game options and the desync are really my only two issues with the game. The desync is kind of crazy though; I made an /oos macro (the devs confirmed that they're cool with this as long as it's not abused) and it's pretty surprising how drastically the client and server states differ sometimes. I'll AoE down a spawn of mobs and then realize we were in a different room the whole time.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: