Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 456804 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #455 on: September 10, 2013, 07:08:22 AM

Is 1.0 going to include Act IV?

Nope, from what I read in other threads, only the "remainder" of Act 3 (I still have to get there, so I don't know what that involves); also, a single full respec possibility for any character  and other stuff they're pretty silent about:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/519154/page/3#p4633991

There is some speculation going on, of course: new class (they're talking about a "Death Knight" class), guild system, complete and revamped tutorial, another endgame activity beside maps etc.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: September 10, 2013, 03:13:57 PM

Act 3 is supposedly only halfway implemented into the game right now.  Which is impressive considering as is it feels just as long as the other two acts, and is of higher quality.  I'm certainly looking forward to the last half of act 3.

I have no idea how a new class would work...I suppose it could start in the middle of the tree, or they would have to revamp the entire tree to make it work.

I haven't played PoE in a little while but I'll be eagerly starting a new character when 1.0 arrives.  I really love this game, and can see myself playing it off and on for years.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: September 12, 2013, 09:34:24 AM

I really love this game, and can see myself playing it off and on for years.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #458 on: September 17, 2013, 10:48:05 AM

If you go to Razer, you can get free glowing green footprints shaped like the snakey razer thingy logo.  Srsly.  For free!  FREE!!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #459 on: September 18, 2013, 05:00:18 PM

Ew.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #460 on: September 18, 2013, 06:10:58 PM

I think it's a riot.  I'm glad you didn't say "ewe".

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #461 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:01 PM

Somehow I think you'd have liked it if I did.

Anyway, I'm just not excited about footprints that look like a corporate logo.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: October 07, 2013, 10:17:47 AM

Those of you who are interested in playing at release probably have already read everything concerning 1.0, but just in case:

Media coverage links:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/533261

Release trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/lhwfkl/path-of-exile-release-trailer

The Gamespot link includes a nice gameplay walkthrough by GGG's Chris Wilson
----

- New Class: The Scion (female character, starting in the middle of the tree) ;
- New areas, monsters, Act 3 finale;
- Guild storage, guild ranks ;
- updates to PvP ;
- Two new leagues at launch, Dominion and Nemesis (read here) ;
- New skills and support gems (as above)

It's shaping up to be a great launch :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:21:41 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: October 09, 2013, 12:51:43 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:06 AM

Good move for them.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: October 09, 2013, 03:52:04 PM

Overall its a quality game  and imho worth playing trough at last once (itst f2p after all) . Long term though its imho only attractive to people who enjoy mindless grind of the worst kind and those wierdos who like races (for those who dont know - timed events  with winners defined by highest level achieved)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:09:35 AM by Dark_MadMax »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: October 10, 2013, 12:30:59 AM

Here's a new official article about what can we expect from 1.0.0. Great summary:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/536969

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #467 on: October 10, 2013, 06:25:31 AM

It's not a bad game, just a bit too 'HARDCORE!!!11!' minded for my tastes.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: October 18, 2013, 08:00:11 AM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: October 22, 2013, 05:10:54 AM

Release in 1d 4hrs and counting...

(Humongous) Release patch notes (1.0.0) :

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545523

Of particular interest for a possible PoE Bat Country guild:

Features - Guilds:

We've added Guilds! To create one, use the Social screen. Guilds can initially hold 30 members, but more slots can be purchased.

- There are three membership tiers - Leader, Office and Member. Leaders can change permissions. Officers can invite people to the guild.
- There's a guild chat channel (bound to the & symbol). It spans across leagues.
- Powerful guilds can obtain tags that appear next to their members' names in chat. This requires sacrificing a set of end-game Maps, each of which corresponds to a letter or symbol in the tag. Tags are unique and some symbols are much rarer than others.
- You can purchase Premium Guild Stash Tabs which allow you to store your guild's wealth. You can set permissions for different tiers of members to view, add items and remove items.
- Guild purchases are handled by the guild leader. Players can visit their guild page on pathofexile.com to donate points to their guild.
- Guild Challenges are coming very soon!

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: October 22, 2013, 05:31:54 AM

Other interesting changes:
-new character class that starts in the center of the tree
-all auras except Clarity changed to 60% reservation (lol)
-life nodes rebuffed, but reduced in number
-new "trigger" support gems that cast your spells for you under certain conditions

I'm thinking frenzy + cast on crit + discharge for most broken trigger combo, but I'll have to think about it.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #471 on: October 23, 2013, 05:18:45 AM

So basically all auras are now useless for characters that use blood magic?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: October 23, 2013, 05:49:30 AM

Not at all, considering the effect of individual auras has been buffed considerably.  What has changed is that more than 1 aura will be impossible unless you spec for it.  I like this change, because too many builds before were focused on running basically every aura possible, which is kinda boring.  It's more interesting to actually have to make a decision as to which aura (or two, if you grab the aura mana res. nodes) to run.

Also, auras and blood magic do not get along now.  Before, you could run auras that used a flat reservation with blood magic.  Now they all use percentage, which even with 30% reduiced res. is very bad for blood magic builds. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:52:29 AM by trias_e »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: October 23, 2013, 07:23:22 AM

Nothing's for certain until we see the new tree. Supposedly there will be a lot more reduced reservation nodes, so multiple auras will still be possible, you just have to spec into it. Most aura effects are getting buffed as well, so they're pretty much a wild card until we can actually see the details.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: October 23, 2013, 09:28:09 AM

2 hours till this is launched on steam.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: October 23, 2013, 10:39:42 AM

I love these developers. I purchased support packs for both open and closed beta, and continually spend some money tricking out new characters with cosmetic items.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: October 23, 2013, 10:57:56 AM

Its crazy to think they were once just a 10 man before beta, and have only been a 33 man in beta.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: October 23, 2013, 03:26:41 PM

So before I play/uninstall this a few questions.

How grindy is this. In terms of meaningful upgrades to skills, stats, weapons, and shit that helps your weapons blow up stuff and how noticeable is it.

Is skill/stat allocation free or am I stuck with my choice until I "earn" or "purchase" a reset. Same goes for weapon slots or upgrades.

What type of pvp is there and is the level cap/weapon rarity low enough to warrant giving a fuck.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #478 on: October 23, 2013, 08:16:44 PM

There's arena-style PVP, it's grindy as shit in the higher difficulties since you need gear/levels to advance but skill gems tend to drop more than consistently enough (also you get them from quests) that you'll have what you likely want, and you're largely stuck with your spec because you get a smattering of respec points (1 per node you roll back) and more require random drops/vendor trading (vendors kinda operate like horadric cubes)/trading with other players.

Read the class forums and look at what people are doing and popular builds to kinda get what works and what doesn't.

I made the mistake of trying to rebuild my blood magic+lightning arrow ranger the best I could and she's fucking worthless now. They really, really fucked my old build up.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: October 23, 2013, 09:17:40 PM

There's arena-style PVP, it's grindy as shit in the higher difficulties since you need gear/levels to advance but skill gems tend to drop more than consistently enough (also you get them from quests) that you'll have what you likely want, and you're largely stuck with your spec because you get a smattering of respec points (1 per node you roll back) and more require random drops/vendor trading (vendors kinda operate like horadric cubes)/trading with other players.

Read the class forums and look at what people are doing and popular builds to kinda get what works and what doesn't.

I made the mistake of trying to rebuild my blood magic+lightning arrow ranger the best I could and she's fucking worthless now. They really, really fucked my old build up.

Looks like another uninstall. Its 2013.... 7 years of game design says hello.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: October 23, 2013, 10:07:23 PM

I get where you are coming from. However, one thing to keep in mind is that these guys have been pretty open about only wanting to make a classically styled, complex ARPG, so if you don't like that sort of thing you shouldn't waste the bandwidth.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: October 23, 2013, 10:09:28 PM

I get where you are coming from. However, one thing to keep in mind is that these guys have been pretty open about only wanting to make a classically styled, complex ARPG, so if you don't like that sort of thing you shouldn't waste the bandwidth.

Give me the difficulty, not the treadmills. I mean some of those 20 year old ARPG still work you know  why so serious?

I mean especially with the skill points. I mean the fuck do I have to go a forum to find a build before I even play the game in 2013? The internet was for rich basement dwellers 20 years ago... who could tell you your 90strength mage was a bad idea  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:12:16 PM by MediumHigh »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: October 23, 2013, 11:48:58 PM

Give it a shot, at least. It's definitely designed for the hardcore but there are quite a few skills available early on and the game doesn't get really punitive about screwing up your build until later. As long as you're not throwing away good gear you can probably make it through 100% of the content without trouble. You'll either get bitten by the bug or decide it's too ugly and clunky before the lack of full respecs really enters into the equation.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #483 on: October 24, 2013, 03:37:17 AM

Normal is like D2 normal in that anyone can do it with any build really. Cruel is harder than D2 nightmare IMO, and Merciless is pretty mean.

It is honestly not difficult to completely fuck your build up to the point where you'd need many more levels to get the nodes you need (probably some sort of survival, like more life/shield and your primary defensive stat) to get by.

Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: October 24, 2013, 05:13:05 AM

Anyone have any links to a decent guide/character builder?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #485 on: October 24, 2013, 05:18:10 AM

Also the game is definitely focused around hardcore and other temporary leagues, which is probably why respeccing isn't very easy. They've specifically said they don't ever plan on selling respecs, so it's more of a mindset/vision thing for the game rather than a moneyhat thing.

I dunno how well their "ethical microtransactions"  thing is working but it seems to have been somewhat successful if their expansion and launch is any indication. In case you didn't know MediumHigh; their big thing is that the devs are pretty surprisingly vehement about how much they hate Pay2Win. You get a shitload of stash space and quite a few character slots; the most tangible quality-of-life stuff they sell are bonus stash slots and character slots but you really only need them if you're way, way into the game.

Everything else is goofy-shit cosmetic stuff; mostly alternate spell effects and weapon glows/effects.

Anyone have any links to a decent guide/character builder?
They have their own character builder here: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

As for guides, the 1.0 patch changed a shitload of stuff and rejiggered the whole passive skill tree so it's still in a state of flux but check the class specific forums- they have full integration there with item-links and build links, and the really hardcore therorycrafter type people actually use the main forums: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum

Note that all of the classes are actually fundamentally the same- the big difference is where they start on the passive tree. Any class can get any node on the skill tree if they want to spend the points getting there.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:28:05 AM by Fabricated »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: October 24, 2013, 08:01:29 AM

I mean the fuck do I have to go a forum to find a build before I even play the game in 2013?

You don't.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: October 24, 2013, 09:25:56 AM

Well, it really depends on how you approach ARPGs: POE is time consuming if you want to be "competitive" (ladders, min/maxing, trading, etc.), but IMO it's perfectly viable, challenging and fun for a normal/casual player too, with the big passive tree, gem combinations, etc.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: October 24, 2013, 09:47:09 AM

I only use the forums to discuss specific passive and gem interactions.  I avoid builds that other people have done. I hop on the passive tree character builder on the website and kind of get a general idea for what I want to do and then I just play the character following a loose plan to see how my ideas pan out. I have gotten several characters into the 80s without following some theorycrafter's build. My most favorite part of POE is building characters around ridiculous skill combinations to see how far I can take a character just to stick it to the min/maxers that say only a handful of builds are viable for late game map running.

I would link some of my builds, except the recent update release completely changed how their passives are arranged out and I need to figure out what I am going to do with them. So, I am kind of in a learning zone before i use the free respecs that got handed out.

My favorite character so far has been my full on dedicated summoner, no personal offense, but I run with 10 zombies, 4 specters, and 14 skeletons on an auto-cast totem. I am currently playing around with the animate guardian gem that is new, it lets you cast on armor and weapons and it puts them on an invisible guardian. Its like a fun little mini-game with the armor and weapons I would never pick up.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: October 24, 2013, 10:28:12 AM

I suspect that's how most people play. In a system that allows for near limitless combinations, limiting yourself to a few combinations you found on the web seems like a bad way to play...anything. Even more silly, is using your own set of limitations you imposed as a way to say "this game sucks".

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: