Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453607 times)
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 04:04:18 PM

Gender locked classes are a deal breaker, main reason i could never get into d2.
Despite the fact "classes" are almost totally cosmetic?

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 04:11:05 PM

Well, I mean only part that matters for them is where you start on the passive skill wheel thing.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 04:20:25 PM

They're a bit more than cosmetic in reality. It determines if you're 1 or 15 levels from starting the spec you want, and determines what gems you get offered while questing.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 04:23:03 PM

Most of my gems are from drops, or what I chuck in the shared stash.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 04:27:00 PM

Thus far I've seen 3 gems drop halfway through act 2. Drops for your skills is not a primary method of play.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 05:02:39 PM

Random is random I guess. I play with friends and i have like...10 or so gems just for myself.

schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 05:33:45 PM

Yea, that was a throwaway comment everyone should just ignore.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 05:51:56 PM

I like how you level up absolutely everything up to and including your potions. That skill tree is pretty ACK! though.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 06:30:41 PM

I like how you level up absolutely everything up to and including your potions. That skill tree is pretty ACK! though.

You don't level your levels though.  That may be the final frontier of leveling.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 10:12:36 PM

A lot to like in here.  No idea how things work towards the end of the game.  But loot appears to be right.  The Final Fantasy 10 passive skill tree is pretty sweet.  I reaaally like the potion system on a lot of levels - tying regen to fighting and using potions as dispells, etc.  Leveling up skill gems somehow gives me a boner, also.  Huge shared stash = win.

AKA Gyoza
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 12:25:39 AM

The in-combat potion-managing minigame was in fact more fun and engaging than my actual combat skills. The game should just be World of Potions, really.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 12:33:37 AM

Gender locked classes are a deal breaker, main reason i could never get into d2.

You do know that the class choices are advisory right? There is absolutely no reason you can't play any of the characters as any class you want to. Want a male caster? Pick the templar and use all the witch gems you find and spec him for int instead of int/str.
Or play the marauder as a witch. It really doesn't matter.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 12:38:56 AM

The art is a bit drab at times, but there's potential here.

I liked the look of the lower/upper prison levels, and the ship graveyard is nicely creepy.  The beeches and caves are a little meh at times.

I feel like it could use a bit more variety in monster AI and/or combat.  Things get a little repetitive at times.

Interesting that there's no currency -- instead there's barter around scrolls of wisdom, scroll fragments, etc.

I do really like the socketing, customization, upgrading, etc.  Some really fun ideas here.

Do all "classes" start at the same place on the sphere grid?  Do they have any difference at all in base stats?  It's somewhat amazing how open-ended the customization seems.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 08:10:39 AM

Do all "classes" start at the same place on the sphere grid?

Nope.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

Anyone figure out what the one in the middle is? The one with the Cherub face? 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:12:28 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:49 AM

There's still a class missing, the int/dex ones.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:00 AM

Yeah, but that spot is on there I believe, there is an extra "class" thingy in the center. There are six classes, one not released, and there is a spot for something in the center of the passive tree.

Re Skill gems:

Thus far I've seen 3 gems drop halfway through act 2. Drops for your skills is not a primary method of play.

From the Staff:

Quote from: Chris
Quote from: dime
Quote from: Shadowstorm
I never find that many gems with quality in 2 hours of playing.  Hell, it usually takes me a week of playing to come up with that many.

I noticed skill gem drop rate seems really high lately.

The rate of drops is not modified for different leagues - we constantly have people saying that something is higher or lower in hardcore or default or races, but it's just randomness :)

Also, props to the patch method. For the beta, apparently they use different leagues as different patches. You may have noticed that there was a "legacy normal" league. That's all the characters from before the last patch playing on the last build. Its an extremely clever way to contrast the changes from one build to another. Really neat.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:34:31 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:28 AM

The art is a bit drab at times, but there's potential here.

I liked the look of the lower/upper prison levels, and the ship graveyard is nicely creepy.  The beeches and caves are a little meh at times.

I feel like it could use a bit more variety in monster AI and/or combat.  Things get a little repetitive at times.

Interesting that there's no currency -- instead there's barter around scrolls of wisdom, scroll fragments, etc.

I do really like the socketing, customization, upgrading, etc.  Some really fun ideas here.

Do all "classes" start at the same place on the sphere grid?  Do they have any difference at all in base stats?  It's somewhat amazing how open-ended the customization seems.

From a color palette pov the art is much nicer in act 2. I think they should use the riverlands for the opening rather than the mostly grey beach scenery.

I really enjoyed this game a lot. It pushed all my Diablo 2 buttons. Mostly because a necro spec'd witch is a lot like the pre-nerf necro from D2.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 06:11:45 PM

They keep fucking with the camera zoom level in this game. A few months ago it was zoomed out some more and I loved it. I can't play with the camera at its current position.

Give us a slider and let us zoom out. Claustrophobic.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 06:51:01 PM

I hope they provide a mini-map in a corner as an alternative (or replacement) to the map overlay.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:06 PM

They will be, Read the "Beta manifesto" section of the forums.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 09:10:42 AM

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:48 PM

The build from last weekend didn't have random level generation, did it?  I'm pretty certain the 10+ levels I explored (most multiple times) were always identical.

I'm all for some nice random dungeons too.  Diablo and PathOfExile are kinda nethack-descendants in this sense -- randomized dungeons, loot, etc.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:29 PM

The build from last weekend didn't have random level generation, did it?  I'm pretty certain the 10+ levels I explored (most multiple times) were always identical.

Ya I played through the same areas on multiple characters and the dungeons were definately randomized. Same with the outdoor levels. Maybe they need more tiles.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:20 PM

2 things. One a question. Why is this topic in MMOG where Diablo 3 is in single player games? Doesnt the change to D3 make it a MMO now too? If not then I'd say neither is this.

Other thing. They just put up their early beta deal. For 10$ you get a beta key and 100 gold coins for their up and coming cash shop.
Edit: actually there are a bunch of support options. 25 gets you an in game kiwi pet and some other bonuses. It's almost like a kick starter with tiered investment points but each tier gets you cash shop credits equivalent to the amount spent. https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:56:13 PM by Phred »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 04, 2012, 11:44:06 PM

Hmm!  I wonder if a given character always gets the same random seed for levels or if they eventually change.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 04, 2012, 11:53:30 PM

Hmm!  I wonder if a given character always gets the same random seed for levels or if they eventually change.

I signed up for the beta so I will test it tomorrow. I'll clear an area, screen shot the map then clear it again.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 04, 2012, 11:58:45 PM

Areas definitely persist for a while (you can walk back and the drops you haven't picked up are there, etc).  So it is possible I just never waited long enough or traveled far enough away that it generated a new version.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 05, 2012, 12:02:22 AM

Areas definitely persist for a while (you can walk back and the drops you haven't picked up are there, etc).  So it is possible I just never waited long enough or traveled far enough away that it generated a new version.

According to the devs the areas reset after 15 minutes with no one in them.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 06:39:36 AM

Hmm!  I wonder if a given character always gets the same random seed for levels or if they eventually change.

If you CTRL Click an instance on the map, there are full instance tools: enter/join others/reset. Instances Close after 15 min of inactivity in that area. Sometimes shorter in some cases. This also aplies to groups.

There is talk some "leagues" will have different rule sets, including "public" instances ( Extreme reset time ) and open PvP.

The shop is now open:

We’re looking to kickstart Path of Exile and we need your help.

We’re a small game studio in New Zealand composed entirely of Action RPG fans. For the last five years our focus has been on designing an online game with maximum player choice and strategic freedom. Following the public stress test weekend, we received hundreds of requests for the ability to donate for permanent access to the Closed Beta.

Path of Exile is completely free to download and play. We never intend to charge for content or access to the released game, but we are happy to offer early Beta access for those who support us during this important time. In order to fund the development and continued expansion of Path of Exile, we offer a range of ethical microtransactions that allow you to distinguish yourself in the world of Wraeclast without receiving any gameplay advantage. We are completely opposed to the concept of “pay2win”.

On this page, you can pre-purchase Points used to buy cosmetic microtransactions. Every purchase comes with a Closed Beta key so that you (or a friend) can start playing immediately. In addition to the Points, we offer a wide selection of exclusive rewards such as in-game pets, shipped copies of the game, its soundtrack, posters and even the chance to help design a Unique item that will be added to the game.

Thank you very much for your support!

Our first pack grants you access to the Closed Beta and like all our other tiers, you receive microtransaction store credit for the entire total value. It’s also a great option for existing players who want to invite a friend!
Package Image

100 Points
    1 Closed Beta Key

$10.00USD

Supporter Pack

Want to get in the mood for some item hunting? This tier includes access to a digital download of our soundtrack, composed by Adgio Hutchings. You’ll also get a special title on the forum indicating that you’ve supported us with more than the minimum amount.

The soundtrack download will be available when the Open Beta starts (estimated at June 2012).

150 Points
    1 Closed Beta Key
    Supporter Forum Title
    Digital Soundtrack Download

$15.00USD

Kiwi Pack

Wraeclast is a lonely place. Let New Zealand’s national icon, the flightless Kiwi bird, accompany you on your travels. This in-game Kiwi Pet can be used by any characters on your account and is purely cosmetic.

Kiwi Pets are exclusive and can only be purchased during the Closed Beta. You will receive your pet immediately! It will not be wiped at the end of Closed Beta.

250 Points
    1 Closed Beta Key
    Supporter Forum Title
    In-Game Kiwi Pet

$25.00USD

Bronze Pack

Want to make your friends jealous? Gift them one of these additional friend keys and show off your exclusive Bronze Kiwi Pet! Like all tiers from this point on, we also upgrade your forum title to reflect your generous support.

500 Points
    3 Closed Beta Keys
    Bronze Supporter Forum Title
    In-Game Bronze Kiwi pet

$50.00USD

Silver Pack

Not only will you receive the exclusive Silver Kiwi Pet, but we’ll stuff your mailbox with goodies. You’ll get a large Map of Wraeclast Poster, a copy of the game on DVD and a CD of the haunting soundtrack. Allow a few weeks for postal delivery from New Zealand.

We'll post the above physical items when the Open Beta starts (estimated at June 2012).

1000 Points
    3 Closed Beta Keys
    Silver Supporter Forum Title
    In-Game Silver Kiwi Pet
    Map of Wraeclast Poster
    Path of Exile DVD
    Soundtrack CD

$100.00USD

Gold Pack

Show your support in style with a Path of Exile T-Shirt! At this tier, we’ll offer the choice of having the development team sign anything that we’re posting to you. You’ll also receive the exclusive Gold Kiwi Pet and have your name included in a special section of the game’s credits.

We'll post the above physical items when the Open Beta starts (estimated at June 2012).

2500 Points
    5 Closed Beta Keys
    Gold Supporter Forum Title
    In-Game Gold Kiwi Pet
    Path of Exile DVD
    Soundtrack CD
    Map of Wraeclast Poster
    Path of Exile T-Shirt
    All posted items signed on request
    Your name in the Path of Exile credits

$250.00USD

Diamond Pack

For the hardcore fan who wants to contribute to making Path of Exile as good as it can be. Not only do you get the highest tier of Kiwi Pet (so rare that players will be lining up for you to show it off), but you can immortalise yourself in the game by working with us to create a Unique Item inspired by your design! We’ll also draw you a custom larger-size forum avatar that no one else will ever receive. The developers and community sincerely thank you for this generous level of support.

10000 Points
    5 Closed Beta Keys
    Diamond Supporter Forum Title
    In-Game Diamond Kiwi Pet
    Path of Exile DVD and Soundtrack CD
    Map of Wraeclast Poster
    Path of Exile T-Shirt
    All posted items signed on request
    Your name in the Path of Exile credits
    A custom forum account avatar designed to your request
    Collaborate with us designing a Unique Item based on your design!

$1000.00USD

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:43:59 AM by Mrbloodworth »

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 08:12:27 AM

Paid 15.  Certainly worth that much.  It's just a shame it's still in beta and characters will be wiped.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 08:15:05 AM

I will likely have to get the Kiwi for the lady.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:37:55 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:21 AM

Hmm!  I wonder if a given character always gets the same random seed for levels or if they eventually change.

If you CTRL Click an instance on the map, there are full instance tools: enter/join others/reset. Instances Close after 15 min of inactivity in that area. Sometimes shorter in some cases. This also aplies to groups.

There is talk some "leagues" will have different rule sets, including "public" instances ( Extreme reset time ) and open PvP.

Aha!

They got $10 from me last night so I could do some dungeon crawling.  I think they could stand to have a bit more variety as far as monster AI and such, and I wouldn't complain about some slightly more colorful environments, but I can run around in random dungeons fighting monsters and getting random loot and it's fun.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 07, 2012, 06:21:50 AM

I will likely have to get the Kiwi for the lady.

Does the kiwi do damage or is it merely a cosmetic pet?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:34 AM

Entirely cosmetic.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 07, 2012, 09:01:40 AM

Yeah, also that one is just the "supporter" level.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: