Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:37:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Dual-Bladed is the New Dual Wield (Shadow/Assassin) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dual-Bladed is the New Dual Wield (Shadow/Assassin)  (Read 15837 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: December 01, 2011, 10:06:08 AM

This was stolen from the Sith Inquisitor forums. Tons of good info, so I'm reposting it here. Link to original post..

*Edit* On second thought, I put the whole thing in a spoiler tag, as it is huge.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:10:29 AM by Morfiend »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:20 AM

Equipping an Assassin/Shadow.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:18:49 AM

The darkness and deception trees look interesting in that they avoid the daft top weighting of many other specs, and I think you can make a decent darkness/deception hybrid that has almost all the tanking of dark and a fully functional surging charge from deception - meaning you can swap between tanking and dps on the fly, mostly just losing the really fancy attacks at the top of the tree.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:35:12 AM

The only problem I see with that is that from what I heard, and maybe someone can confirm or deny this, Voltiac Slash (top talent) for Deception is one of the main DPS moves.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:21 AM

Wouldn't surprise me, EA do seem to hate the very idea of anything other than 31 point specs.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 02:36:49 PM

Oh christ, I just saw the inquisitor armor progression video.  ACK!

For some reason they are all wearing dresses rather than robes and apart from one of sorcerors, they were uniformly terrible. Inquisitors appear to literally look like something out of WoW.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:31:54 PM

Social clothes to the rescue!  Inquisitors don't lose out since they can only wear light armor anyways.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:36:31 PM

Yeah, just get to Social 3 and you can dress up as a Sand Person.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 04:33:42 PM

But then you have to walk in single file. :(
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:47:52 PM

For some reason they are all wearing dresses rather than robes and apart from one of sorcerors, they were uniformly terrible. Inquisitors appear to literally look like something out of WoW.
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any light armour pants past level 10 or so, maybe except the white vendor gear, dunno. So it's skirts all the way down (or up)

I've sort of embraced the concept as fitting for Darth Liberace, but my lady consular weeps. Well, not weeps but opts to keep that particular equipment slot pretty much unchanged.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:09 PM

It's not a dress.  It's a Sith kilt. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 01:55:53 PM

Saber strike
thrash
maul
blackout
overload
stealth
force slow
force speed
unbreakable will
mind trap
mind control
force lightning
shock
lacerate
discharge
electrocute
deflection
force cloak
jolt
recklessness
whirlwind
surging charge
sprint
mark of power

Thats what's on my bar at lvl 27.  I can't get rid of any of those abilities and i will continue to get more for the next 23 levels.  This is a bit ridiculous, my mouse has 12 buttons and i still have a hard time.

I am the .00000001428%
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 12:34:47 PM

Saber strike
thrash
maul
blackout
overload
stealth
force slow
force speed
unbreakable will
mind trap
mind control
force lightning
shock
lacerate
discharge
electrocute
deflection
force cloak
jolt
recklessness
whirlwind
surging charge
sprint
mark of power

Thats what's on my bar at lvl 27.  I can't get rid of any of those abilities and i will continue to get more for the next 23 levels.  This is a bit ridiculous, my mouse has 12 buttons and i still have a hard time.

You are going to get 9 more abilities before you hit 50 if you are Deception specced. I know cause I counted this morning. (level 30 assassin).
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 10:31:38 PM

Put quite a bit into this game, and I have to say that shadow/assassin has my favorite kit in the game. Knights/Warriors have every right to complain about them, even if their problems go far beyond inferiority to the saberstaffers. This one's probably going to end up being my pick for PvP.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 04:00:00 AM

The only thing I miss is a leap or pull ability. I find not having one really slows me down in group combat.

Also, I can't see anything wrong with that hotbar. MOAR BUTANS FOR THE BUTANTHRONE!

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 06:09:53 AM

I think they expect the Force Speed to work as equivalent of these, but the cooldown is somewhat long to allow use in every trash fight.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 06:19:01 AM

The only thing I miss is a leap or pull ability. I find not having one really slows me down in group combat.

Also, I can't see anything wrong with that hotbar. MOAR BUTANS FOR THE BUTANTHRONE!

There is a force pull power way up in the Kinetics (shadow dunno what it's for Asses) tree.  Range is 30m, one of the Knight complaints is that Leap makes it hard to do CC compared to pull.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 10:58:34 AM

There is a force pull power way up in the Kinetics (shadow dunno what it's for Asses) tree.  

Darkness tree. (Tanking)

What I would really like on my Assassin is something like Shadowstep from WoW. It fits with the class, and would be great. (I have major envy of Force Leap)

Also, I wanted to say that I fucking hate the look of the armor. If anything is going to drive me to play a different class it will be the looks. Its so ugly and doesnt fit the character concept at all IMO.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:02:48 AM by Morfiend »
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 11:11:21 AM

Those level 50 shoulders...  awesome, for real

Do jedi turn into VTOL craft after they start getting purps?

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 11:15:00 AM

The headpiece always reminds me of this.

ACK!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 08:45:56 PM

Um, yeah, no, pass.  Gonna just put in oranges, thanks.  And going to put my assassin in pants, because having her run around in a long skirt really doesn't seem right for a super acrobatic stealthy person.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 09:18:30 PM

good luck with that :/

(light armour pants kinda end after l.10  Found l.23 ones at Tatooine/Nar Shadaa vendors and turns out these are bugged and make your character look like they're in their underwear, although grant the armour bonus just the same  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 06:31:31 AM

Orange Social gear to the pants rescue!

Since an Assassin is light armor, any set should work.  For males, DK has an Imperial Outfit.  For both, Balmora has a Rebel Outfit.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 06:42:05 AM

Except that doesn't help at all someone like me who's gonna be in pvp gear 90% of the time.  Which just happens to be the worst looking one.  Fuck, I didn't sign up to look like a WoW Druid.

I am the .00000001428%
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 07:09:17 AM

But then you have to walk in single file. :(

Not if you are just pretending to be sand people!

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 07:18:26 AM

Thats what's on my bar at lvl 27.  I can't get rid of any of those abilities and i will continue to get more for the next 23 levels.  This is a bit ridiculous, my mouse has 12 buttons and i still have a hard time.

Ditto (32 shadow here), a lot of that shit should be consolidated.  The other big annoyance is that several abilities are proc-dependent, which means I spend most of the fight squinting at my omg so tiny buff bar seeing what, if anything, us up.  Game desperately needs power auras/event alert/the ability to filter and move buff bars.

One great thing about the class is the number of knockback/stun/interrupts you can bring.  I use the  which acts as another interrupt/opportunity to backstab.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 07:29:36 AM

Orange Social gear to the pants rescue!

Since an Assassin is light armor, any set should work.  For males, DK has an Imperial Outfit.  For both, Balmora has a Rebel Outfit.
Sadly, on the republic side Balmorra doesn't happen until early 30's i think. Taris and Tattoine both offer some pants earlier, but neither really fits with the jedi initiate's top (and the latter requires social 3 iirc, that'd be a lot of pointless Esseles runs to get)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 10:59:44 AM

In the continuing battle for pants, I now see 3 possible strategies...

The Orange Pants Scenario...

Flight commendation social pants + Tatooine chest piece. Both actually orange to look at as well as by type. Naturally they will look terrible with any not-orange-coloured-armour.

The Balmorra Social Solution...

Rebel officer pants, goes ok with the rest of the rebel outfit, but you look like a fucking hippy not the sassy and fearsome sith lord that you really are.

The Taris Final solution...

Commendation vendor has sensible looking black pants, goes well with practically everything. Most especially the big black coat that the corellian commendation vendor carries.

Unfortunately I don't think you can look sensible before the mid-30s and I can't find anything awesome till level 50. In the meantime you can always just go slave leia from Nar Shaddaa.

In other news I bought a speeder today, and I swear whoever designed them is intentionally taking the piss. Skirts look so mindbendingly awful on those things...

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 11:06:20 AM

At least you have some options, i'll be stuck looking like a WoW druid in the pvp gear.

I am the .00000001428%
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 11:50:23 AM

Does anyone else playing an Assassin sort of feel like the class is a bit of a leftover/tacked on to the Inquisitor class? To me it seems pretty clear that the Inquisitor is the Sorcerer. The story and the gear look and feel all screams Sorcerer and then "Oh I guess Assassin too". This became much more clear to me after playing a Sith Warrior up to the 20s.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:08 AM

Sometimes, but quite a few of the missions let me play them Assassin style. The gear options at the high end are ridiculous, though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 01:44:37 PM

In the continuing battle for pants, I now see 3 possible strategies...

Unfortunately I don't think you can look sensible before the mid-30s and I can't find anything awesome till level 50. In the meantime you can always just go slave leia from Nar Shaddaa.
You can look sensible if you accept wearing the early game white quality (or maybe green) pants -- this does mean the stats hit, but from the personal experience the game stays absolutely playable.

Also once you hit 30, another option opens on the republic side: off-white Muse pants, either orange for unlimited upgrades or slightly higher level green-blue items. These can be combined either with rest of the Muse set, or if you plan to attend something official like a peace summit...

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 05:18:43 PM

If you are playing on the hippy faction that's great, I haven't seen anything like that on the dark side.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 10:31:21 PM

I'd say the Sith have it easier, or at least the males do -- there's orange "formal pants" with Social 1 requirement sold by vendor at capital tavern.

Don't know how it goes for the ladies since my marauder happily wears medium armour.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 03:30:46 AM

Only if your character is a man.

Kaas has literally no items on the social vendor for females.

I have no idea why, they look fine if you use the ctrl-leftclick preview.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Dual-Bladed is the New Dual Wield (Shadow/Assassin)  
Jump to: