Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Dual-Bladed is the New Dual Wield (Shadow/Assassin) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dual-Bladed is the New Dual Wield (Shadow/Assassin)  (Read 15791 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:08 AM

Does anyone else playing an Assassin sort of feel like the class is a bit of a leftover/tacked on to the Inquisitor class?

Not at all! They are actually more robust, mechanically, than the entirety of the knight/warrior classes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 06:16:26 AM

He probably feels that way because the first companion matches up much better with the sorcerer than the assassin.  Also we do look like mages the whole time.  The mechanics are basically "wow rogue" anyways, hard to get that wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:44:35 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 09:55:15 AM

Does anyone else playing an Assassin sort of feel like the class is a bit of a leftover/tacked on to the Inquisitor class? To me it seems pretty clear that the Inquisitor is the Sorcerer. The story and the gear look and feel all screams Sorcerer and then "Oh I guess Assassin too". This became much more clear to me after playing a Sith Warrior up to the 20s.

Yeah, I definitely get that feeling.  It makes the character mission stuff seem to feel off.  It's one of the things causing me to really want to reroll up a sorcerer. 
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 10:33:46 AM

I'm finding (at low level at least) the Assassin is more robust and fun than the Marauder. ymmv
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 11:58:17 AM

Maybe I should have been more clear. I don't mean the mechanic of the class. I mean the gear look and feel, and also the story. So far there has been really nothing Assassin'y about the story at all. As far as the class mechanics go, its a solid class, but as far as being a Inquisitor advanced class, I think it fails.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 02:32:56 PM

The wierd thing is, the Sith Warrior class storyline so far feels incredibly Inquisitor like to me. I occasionally think the storylines are the wrong way around.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 09:22:29 AM

Baras is an Inquisitor, and you're doing his leg-work, which is why I think it has that feel.

The Inquisitor storyline does feel more Sorcer-ery to me, especially wrapping up Chapter 1 and heading into 2.  The Sorcerer/Assassin split is an odd one on a lot of levels.  Given more resources, I'd say it should have been a separate story altogether.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 10:03:03 AM

Does anyone happen to have a screenshot of what Dark Ward in the tanking tree looks like? I was kinda enjoying my Shadow tank until I got Kinetic Ward and discovered I'd have to run around with my own personal fucking asteroid belt swamp poop Would like to see the Assassin equivalent before I  bother leveling one.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:56 AM

Does anyone happen to have a screenshot of what Dark Ward in the tanking tree looks like? I was kinda enjoying my Shadow tank until I got Kinetic Ward and discovered I'd have to run around with my own personal fucking asteroid belt swamp poop Would like to see the Assassin equivalent before I  bother leveling one.

Is THAT what that is... was wondering what the hell those rocks were around our Mandy instance tank.  And while shadows can tank rather well, they do take much larger damage spikes. Was wondering why my healing was so behind on the new tank for that instance until I noticed she was a shadow and not a knight. Never even dawned on me she was using a 2blader.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 12:24:48 PM

Dark Charge : Purple smoke
Lightning Charge : Lightning
Surging Charge : Purple smoke *and* Purple Lighting

It all looks horrible (it's like EA are openly taking the piss in the looks department) but it only lasts a few seconds at a time, you don't run about with it the whole time it is on.

However, screenshots, as at the same time you can ADMIRE MY SPACE PANTS. (In order, plain, dark, lightning, surging)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:34:25 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 12:55:46 PM

Those are some mighty fine (and tight!) space pants! But that's not the ability I was talking about  tongue

I meant Dark Ward, it should be an 11 point ability in the tanking tree. And just for fun here's the Shadow version....

I can only assume that at some point in time one of the devs decided that Consular=Earthbender...
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 01:21:18 PM

Is that your green dude? He's sort of cute!

God Save the Horn Players
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 01:34:15 PM

Just for you then...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 01:46:22 PM

If I had to guess from what I've seen on other assassins, it is probably the black tendrils out of the ground with purple smoke. But I don't have a screenshot.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 01:47:07 PM

(it's like EA are openly taking the piss in the looks department)
Nah, that would be hats. Especially the light armour ones. I swear the dialogue in the art cubicles must have gone like that at some point...

"dude, i bet five bucks you can't make a hat that no one will wear"
"oh, you are so on."
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 02:01:20 PM

If I had to guess from what I've seen on other assassins, it is probably the black tendrils out of the ground with purple smoke. But I don't have a screenshot.

That doesn't sound too objectionable, and it has to be better than the rocks.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 02:17:36 PM

I don't remember off-hand from beta, but it wasn't anything horrible.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 03:30:39 PM

Just for you then...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I don't normally go for aliens, but I'd make an exception for him. <eyebrow waggle> He barely counts, of course, just being a green dude, I suppose.  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 06:06:46 PM

He's very close to one of my prototypes for a Mirilian JK. (DNA: 2 15 1 1 5 8 22 13 8).

I threw together characters to snag names in pre-launch and left one slot open to prototype the couple I wasn't happy with. The Knight has been about eight different sets of DNA, one of which just because my trooper (3 18 1 1 7 25 1 10 32) because the Knight voice was so silly on him. Another one I love but the voice just doesn't work is (2 17 4 36 2 26 10 10 16). I will most likely just reuse the trooper I originally had as my Knight (I think it's this one 3 6 1 1 1 29 11 2 15). All DNA in this paragraph is human.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:55 AM

In our continuing series on how EA artists hate assassins...

Voltaic strike animation.

It is my assassin's end game primary attack. And it looks terrible when used repeatedly.

Assassin releases the sabre, the sabre flies 4 ft toward the enemy, spins 720 degrees in mid air, then boomerangs back to my hand.

It would be ok as occaisional move,  but looks like a horrible gimmick when used back to back.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 15, 2012, 01:37:25 AM

Artist don't actually PLAY the game.

Obviously.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 15, 2012, 08:48:01 AM

It would be ok as occaisional move,  but looks like a horrible gimmick when used back to back.

Which is exactly how it has to be used.  I was never convinced by the dual saber, i felt more like star wars kid than darth maul the whole time i played my assassin.  Big reason for why i switched to BH.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 15, 2012, 09:30:21 AM

Easily the best animated ability is sabre strike (or whatever the level 1, zero cost filler ability is called).

swamp poop

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #58 on: January 15, 2012, 11:03:36 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that too, that the filler strike is my favorite animation.  Heartbreak

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #59 on: January 15, 2012, 09:04:30 PM

On this topic. My friend pointed this out to me. Thrash animation looks just like the star wars kid. Check that shit out.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Dual-Bladed is the New Dual Wield (Shadow/Assassin)  
Jump to: