Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:59:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  (Read 200023 times)
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: December 07, 2011, 02:58:14 PM

Fisto the robot travels back in time to serve inhabitants of another Galaxy?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: December 07, 2011, 05:23:21 PM

Also the extremely fey Sith Inquisitor played Boy George in a stage production.  awesome, for real
Maledict may be in luck then!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: December 07, 2011, 06:09:43 PM

Fisto the robot travels back in time to serve inhabitants of another Galaxy?

I admit it, I tested him out...

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: December 07, 2011, 06:31:02 PM

A Q for those who have better knowledge of MMO costs and the like: If the reported $300 million dev costs are true, just how many subs will they have to maintain to turn a profit with the first few years?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #774 on: December 07, 2011, 06:34:23 PM

Depends highly on how many box sales they get, especially sales through Origin where they get every cent.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:57 PM

A Q for those who have better knowledge of MMO costs and the like: If the reported $300 million dev costs are true, just how many subs will they have to maintain to turn a profit with the first few years?

It's closer to 150 mil then 300.  300 is just people throwing bigger numbers around, like the 128TB beta download.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: December 07, 2011, 07:08:09 PM

It's closer to 150 mil then 300.  300 is just people throwing bigger numbers around, like the 128TB beta download.

What makes that 150mil number more legitimate? (I'm taking the 300mil from https://goblinworks.com/blog/)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: December 07, 2011, 07:13:07 PM

I'd click on that link but Firefox considers it an untrusted site.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: December 07, 2011, 08:13:35 PM

Hm, mine has no issues...

The ultimate expression of the theme park process is coming very soon in the form of Star Wars: The Old Republic, from EA/Bioware. I have been told by people I trust within the industry that this project's budget has exceeded $300 million. It is the Avatar of this generation of MMOs.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:39 PM

Well yes, that looks like a trustworthy and reliable source.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: December 07, 2011, 11:21:14 PM

Former CMO of CCP says his contacts indicate $300 million. Unless you have a better source than 'random poster on f13' I'm going to go with the guy who worked in the industry.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: December 07, 2011, 11:32:40 PM

I still highly doubt it's that much.  Hearsay, especially from a competing company is suspect.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #782 on: December 07, 2011, 11:36:10 PM

How many people are given to actually know that number, anyway?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: December 07, 2011, 11:43:05 PM

Just to clarify the 150 mil I was quoting was from what Scott Jennings/Lum wrote in an article he did earlier this year. 
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: December 08, 2011, 12:06:32 AM

Former CMO of CCP says his contacts indicate $300 million. Unless you have a better source than 'random poster on f13' I'm going to go with the guy who worked in the industry.

So quick to presume sarcasm

It looks like a trustworthy and reliable source. In so far that a guy busy marketing his own new MMO can be considered trustworthy and reliable. He's in the industry; one of the companies he's affiliated with used to publish Star Wars Insider... there's lots of reasons to believe its an accurate figure. But he also might be talking out of his arse and just trying to over-egg things to make sure that the first blog about the development process of his new MMO gets noticed. What better way to do that than saying "Hey guys, a close industry friend of mine has told me what the budget is for a triple-A title that's being released next week."  He then goes on to expound on how Pathfinder will be a sandbox game, small and cheap and nothing like SWTOR.

Is he right? I have no idea. But he's in marketing and I don't trust that wholeheartedly.  It's his job to say "My product is the BEST EVAH! and so much better than our ridiculously overhyped and expensive competitors."

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: December 08, 2011, 12:10:41 AM

On different note, does anyone know if the species selection is going to be relaxed come the game launch? Having this vague idea for a Miraluka IA with Sniper spec, but the info from the beta doesn't leave much hope for that happening Heartbreak
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:41 AM

No idea.

On another different note (because I've just caught up with the cast list), Paul Darrow and Doug Bradley? Totally playing Imperial now.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: December 08, 2011, 01:32:40 AM

On different note, does anyone know if the species selection is going to be relaxed come the game launch? Having this vague idea for a Miraluka IA with Sniper spec, but the info from the beta doesn't leave much hope for that happening Heartbreak

Unless the Legacy system allows it, I doubt it.  Miraluka are supposed to be the Republic's equivalent to Sith Pureblood.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: December 08, 2011, 01:33:10 AM

I kinda doubt you'll see Race variety any time soon Tmp.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: December 08, 2011, 02:12:55 AM

Hmm that sucks a bit. The dev quotes in the threads i could dig up were along lines of "it's not that these limits are in stone but rather these are just combinations we have confirmed so far", so was hoping that's indeed subject to change. And there was the initially Sith Miraluka in KoTOR 2 so there was slim chance... ah, well.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #790 on: December 08, 2011, 03:41:55 AM

Yeah, but Vision was Sith because Darth Facemask killed her entire planet then said "hey, join me or die."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: December 08, 2011, 07:41:18 AM

It's thanks to that KotOR character we're stuck with eyeless humans as a racial choice. Instead of, say, anything else.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #792 on: December 08, 2011, 07:46:14 AM

Miraluka at least have an interesting twist to them, and some racial identity.

What's up with the green guys?

And my personal peeve is the fucking darth mauls. Worst sith ever, but can't shake him. I liked jar jar better. For reals.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #793 on: December 08, 2011, 08:04:16 AM

It's thanks to that KotOR character we're stuck with eyeless humans as a racial choice. Instead of, say, anything else.

Kinda.

The first official Miraluka was Jerec in Jedi Knight. he was retconned to be a Miraluka long after the fact, but the idea of the blind force user went back as far as then.

Jesus, I'm a goddamn EU nerd.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: December 08, 2011, 08:12:21 AM

Zabrak and Twi'lek are supposed to be the most ubiquitous species in the galaxy after Humans, iirc.

The Mirialans (Green Guys) are completely new to me so I really can't say anything about them, though at least they have the grace to look slightly different to Humans.
I've argued in the past that Chiss are almost as underwhelming as the Miralukans but having read up a little on them now I can see them having a place in SWtOR's time-line beyond 'wahh nasty Sith squished a colony of ours!'

I love that Rattataki are playable almost as much as I hate that Asaaj Ventress has been retconned to not be one, inexplicably.

I don't see the fucking point in Cyborgs. At all.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: December 08, 2011, 08:15:55 AM

Yeah, but Vision was Sith because Darth Facemask killed her entire planet then said "hey, join me or die."
I'm perfectly fine with being given the same offer Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: December 08, 2011, 08:22:06 AM

I don't see the fucking point in Cyborgs. At all.

Mario-Luigi
Ryu-Ken
Bubble-Bobble

Palette swapping has been the lazy man's answer to content since games began.  Truthfully beyond cyborgs, a lot of the races feel that way to me.  The game definitely looks fun, especially with those HD textures and not looking like ass anymore but races are probably one of the weaker points in a game supposedly filled with hundreds of different species.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: December 08, 2011, 08:37:23 AM

The Mirialans (Green Guys) are completely new to me so I really can't say anything about them, though at least they have the grace to look slightly different to Humans.
Bariss Ofee from the prequels and Clone Wars.  Lady with the tattoos on her face.

Still, there are all kinds of races they have models of that I'd love to play as much as or more than the current selections.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: December 08, 2011, 08:41:22 AM

Bariss Ofee from the prequels and Clone Wars.  Lady with the tattoos on her face.

Still, there are all kinds of races they have models of that I'd love to play as much as or more than the current selections.

Bariss Ofee! Of course! Yeah, that settles it - Mirialans have appeared in non-EU continuity. Can't believe I forgot her, but it's been a good long time since I saw any of the prequel trilogy or dug out my Clone Wars DVD (the original cartoon version).

As for your last point, that grates every time I run into a Nautolan, or Cathar, or Rodian, or...

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #799 on: December 08, 2011, 08:42:24 AM

Bariss Ofee! Of course! Yeah, that settles it - Mirialans have appeared in non-EU continuity. Can't believe I forgot her, but it's been a good long time since I saw any of the prequel trilogy or dug out my Clone Wars DVD (the original cartoon version).

As for your last point, that grates every time I run into a Nautolan, or Cathar, or Rodian, or...

I am somehow comforted by the fact that I have no idea what you are talking about.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: December 08, 2011, 08:43:17 AM

Preach it, my kitty sibling!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #801 on: December 08, 2011, 08:47:53 AM

Yeah I think the Mirialans were an attempt to give us one of the badass Jedi Master races from the prequels while keeping to their bizarre human-body limitation for avatars.  Because of anyone I'd rather be Kai-Ai Mundi (conehead) or the one with the Red and White kin and the bitchin horns.  Luminara (green skin) was cool looking but that was her robes, not her race.

Hell, even squidhead Kitt Fisto (  awesome, for real ) would be better.

Ed: Bariss was also Mirialan but was Luminara's padwan.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:49:26 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: December 08, 2011, 08:54:41 AM

Kit Fisto is a Nautolan and my favourite background Jedi character. Best smile in the galaxy, too!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:58:57 AM by Mattemeo »

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: December 08, 2011, 09:02:27 AM

He got it on with Aayla Secura during the Battle of Kamino too so BW can't say he wouldn't be appropriate for a romance plot.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: December 08, 2011, 09:02:37 AM

Kit Fisto is a Nautolan and my favourite background Jedi character. Best smile in the galaxy, too!

He looks like a bug, bugs r scary..f that
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  
Jump to: