Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:04:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  (Read 200007 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: December 07, 2011, 10:37:42 AM

Isn't that what the memory on the graphics card is for?  Pre-loading textures?  Or maybe it's just caching textures already used so when they're needed again they're already there?

Over and out.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #736 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:20 AM

Put the game on a SSD?

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #737 on: December 07, 2011, 10:40:58 AM

It's still limited to how much the gfx card can hold at once and that's 0.5-1 gb nowadays, with a chunk used by the geometry data and whatnot.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: December 07, 2011, 10:42:16 AM

Put the game on a SSD?

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Playing in the last weekend beta, I had just installed and setup a brand new SSD for boot and primary game purposes.  TOR ran like a fucking dream.  Can't wait for live to get the 'real' high-def textures.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #739 on: December 07, 2011, 10:44:24 AM

Put the game on a SSD?

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Playing in the last weekend beta, I had just installed and setup a brand new SSD for boot and primary game purposes.  TOR ran like a fucking dream.  Can't wait for live to get the 'real' high-def textures.

Until that day when the SSD no longer functions.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: December 07, 2011, 10:46:56 AM

Put the game on a SSD?

Until that day when the SSD no longer functions.  why so serious?

Which with any luck won't be for a long time.  I played every trick in the book for ensuring the SSD has a long time to live, and only gets taxed when it actually needs to do something.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: December 07, 2011, 10:51:46 AM

Your PC is going to be a 5 year old piece of shit you can't run anything on before the SSD even starts to fail.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #742 on: December 07, 2011, 10:52:06 AM

Death to all rotating hard drives.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: December 07, 2011, 10:59:28 AM

And Avatars, you anti rotationist?  awesome, for real

I am all for SSD, but the costs need to come down before they are a viable alternative.  $200 bucks for 128 GB?  Once prices normalize on HD's you will get at least 10x that capacity for less money.  Very hard to ignore that difference.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #744 on: December 07, 2011, 11:01:16 AM

Death to all rotating hard drives.
You're supposed to screw them into the case to prevent that.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #745 on: December 07, 2011, 11:09:33 AM

I am all for SSD, but the costs need to come down before they are a viable alternative.  $200 bucks for 128 GB?  Once prices normalize on HD's you will get at least 10x that capacity for less money.  Very hard to ignore that difference.

All my geeky friends who have deal with repairing pc's regulary HATE anything that moves within a PC. hard-drives, fans, etc... apperently these things love to fail.

And yes, until SSD are bit cheaper it's best to go with an SSD for the OS and games and a big slow HDD for data storage.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #746 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:24 AM

My (admittedly relatively limited) experience with them at work is that SSDs fail more often than HDDs still.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: December 07, 2011, 11:13:14 AM

It's probably only for these who pre-ordered the CE anyway Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Or available later in a very reasonably priced DLC pack.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #748 on: December 07, 2011, 11:26:07 AM

Who needs that much space, it's all on the cloud or network storage now, man!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: December 07, 2011, 11:32:02 AM

My (admittedly relatively limited) experience with them at work is that SSDs fail more often than HDDs still.

They do but the failure rate isn't high enough to be worth worrying about for non-commercial applications.

But yeah, this is a problem.

When I say death to all rotating hard drives, by 'death' I mean 'use a small SSD for the OS and a larger seagate hybrid for data storage'.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:04 AM

I am pretty sure Sjofn's amount of play will approximate datacenter levels of stress on hardware.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: December 07, 2011, 11:38:22 AM

My 60GB SSD I bought over the turkey holiday cost me a $1 a gig.  A fair price to pay, IMO, for the ludicrous speed I have now.

The deals are out there, you just gotta get on top of it.  Especially now that classic hard drive prices are on the rise due to natural disasters overseas.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:12 AM

I am pretty sure Sjofn's amount of play will approximate datacenter levels of stress on hardware.

Is it possible to run multiple clients and group with yourself on one machine?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: December 07, 2011, 11:51:57 AM

Moving voice cast discussion over to this thread, here's the credits:

Apparently Steve Blum is *not* the male BH?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #754 on: December 07, 2011, 11:54:13 AM

Blum is.  Maybe BW made a typo, or they were crediting a foreign-voice actor for a different localization.

https://twitter.com/#!/blumspew/status/144302297537720321

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #755 on: December 07, 2011, 12:01:09 PM

I thought the female BH was someone else as well.  Courtenay Taylor, who did Jack in ME2.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: December 07, 2011, 12:02:01 PM

That one was just a rumor I believe.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #757 on: December 07, 2011, 12:04:03 PM

Haha, perfect. The guy who voices the oh so smug IA is called 'Bertie Carvel' and has starred in doctor who  and Sherlock Holmes.  Unless he's waving a crumpet whilst singing God Save The Queen he couldn't be more British.

I may have to take up stalking.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #758 on: December 07, 2011, 12:04:44 PM

Regarding the "Match Chest Colour" option:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=11909584#edit11909584

I wanted to let everyone know that we're very aware of the interest in this feature.

We've spoken with the development team and we'll have further comment on it soon - before the 10th, we hope.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: December 07, 2011, 12:05:25 PM

Also the extremely fey Sith Inquisitor played Boy George in a stage production.  awesome, for real

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: December 07, 2011, 12:06:43 PM

http://liberi-fatali.net/the-old-republic/star-wars-the-old-republic-guide-and-faq

For the lazy, that guide has IMDB links for all of the voice talents for the classes and companions.  Don't jump to the Voices section...find the class/character you want, link will be within.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: December 07, 2011, 12:14:49 PM

And after consulting some more Twitter feeds and the link I provided, let's clear up the Blum thing.

He 'is' in the game, as the voice of the SI companion Andronikos Revel.  Spackman does play the male BH, he just sounds surprisingly like Blum.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: December 07, 2011, 12:58:11 PM

Put the game on a SSD?

FML, I totally forgot about that portion of my rig expansion.  Guess I might as well take this opportunity to do it, although I dont plan on putting the O.S. on it.   Definitely a partition of virt. ram though.

Other than that, I guess I'll OC my geforce.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: December 07, 2011, 02:08:42 PM

Regarding the "Match Chest Colour" option:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=11909584#edit11909584

I wanted to let everyone know that we're very aware of the interest in this feature.

We've spoken with the development team and we'll have further comment on it soon - before the 10th, we hope.

Further comment? The only thing to say is "Yes it's back in and we are very sorry that we ever made you think we wouldn't put it in!"

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #764 on: December 07, 2011, 02:20:43 PM

Why must you resist the Technicolor Dreamcoat?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: December 07, 2011, 02:39:15 PM

Fuck you guys who want matching outfits without EARNING it!

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: December 07, 2011, 02:43:19 PM

Fuck you guys who want matching outfits without EARNING it!

No one's getting fucked if they're wearing those clowney mismatched outfits.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: December 07, 2011, 02:48:01 PM

Maybe by other clowns?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: December 07, 2011, 02:54:24 PM

Jedi fuck with their minds.   Rimshot
It's either that, companions, droids, or a.r. holovids.  None of these require matching gear.

Space is lonely.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #769 on: December 07, 2011, 02:56:55 PM

Hmph.

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  
Jump to: