Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  (Read 200006 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: November 29, 2011, 06:18:35 PM

My consular wasn't quite that naive. But I did play up the humble servant of people in need angle a lot. Qyzen was NOT amused.

I just liked the theme of a very humble and peaceful consular who is trying to do his thing in the galaxy, and sighs deeply and atones any time he needs to Force Brain anyone with a priceless urn or droid.

I think I once managed to talk my way out of a fight. Every other time "this doesn't need to come to violence" never actually makes it not come to violence. I think that line just infuriates Sith.

These are the kinds of things I never hear anyone saying about playing other MMOs -- and it makes me glad to know there's something to talk about other than skill trees and stat bumps.

One of my friends loves Vette's shock collar and uses it on her frequently. (I don't think I'll get the same pleasure from it that he seems to.) But it's a refreshingly different conversation about an MMO experience.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: November 29, 2011, 06:20:18 PM

But in the fiction of the world there is more than 1 elf mage. It's entirely possible for there to be 400 of them in an area (unless your personal fiction is you are the LAST ONE ALIVE, which is hard to maintain unless the game makes that the premise)

Heck, four troopers would make perfect RP sense.

I only meant the mages comment in regard to the assertion that "everything is in our heads anyway", not in regards to SWTOR.

The suspension of disbelief in SWTOR is that all those other Jedi Knights aren't on the same super mission you are, and you just happen to meet them in the world to team up and do X activity. But you're still the only one doing your great personal quest.

I guess I get this, it just seems a strange ruse for a multi-player game to go with "you're the hero of the world, and though those others look like they might be too, don't believe it for a second!" than "you're all in this together".
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #352 on: November 29, 2011, 06:23:11 PM

I guess I get this, it just seems a strange ruse for a multi-player game to go with "you're the hero of the world, and though those others look like they might be too, don't believe it for a second!" than "you're all in this together".
I don't think the MMO setup explicitly rules out others from being heroes as well -- the part that's make-believe is that they're being heroes by doing missions other than the very ones you did yourself, not whether they do anything heroic at all.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: November 29, 2011, 06:26:29 PM

This is the answer that makes most sense to me. (I still don't know why people are buying MMOs if they mostly want a single player game, though.)

You're thinking wayyy too hard.  Some of the time you want to take the character you played in your single player game and do some persistent multiplayer stuff.   It's that simple.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: November 29, 2011, 06:31:27 PM

You can assume everyone has a mission, they're just not on YOUR mission. You have a story arc that is yours, and you just kind of forget that everyone else is on it as well.

When you team up, you just weave in the fiction that these are people you found/hired/whatevered and are storming this rebel hideout with. The fact that they are your same character class is meaningless, because your class isn't what makes the character unique.

If anything, the jarring bit would be another Male Jedi Knight who sounds just like you. But you just have to roll with that. It's the same odd feeling when you see a youtube video of the WRONG GODDAMNED SHEPARD speaking with your Shepard's voice.

quick edit: Jesus christ, am I really arguing that stats and whatnot don't matter, and it's all about the evolution of the narrative fiction? What the fuck?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: November 29, 2011, 06:40:27 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side, my young apprentice.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #356 on: November 29, 2011, 06:47:07 PM

It's really not that hard to get over the mechanics and just enjoy your playing.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: November 29, 2011, 06:47:49 PM

Except the game doesn't tell you this at all. You aren't the CHOSEN ONE or anything. You are exceptional yes, but there are other exceptional people too, on both sides of the conflict. The Galaxy is a big place, there are plenty of Imps for the other Troopers to go squash.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: November 29, 2011, 06:50:37 PM

Jesus christ, am I really arguing that stats and whatnot don't matter, and it's all about the evolution of the narrative fiction? What the fuck?

You are the music maker, you are the dreamer of dreams
Wandering by lone RNG-breakers, sitting at desolate screens
Roll loser and rule forsaker, on whom the pale dice gleams
Yet you are the mover and shaker, of the world forever, it seems.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #359 on: November 29, 2011, 06:56:46 PM

But in the fiction of the world there is more than 1 elf mage. It's entirely possible for there to be 400 of them in an area (unless your personal fiction is you are the LAST ONE ALIVE, which is hard to maintain unless the game makes that the premise)

Heck, four troopers would make perfect RP sense.

I only meant the mages comment in regard to the assertion that "everything is in our heads anyway", not in regards to SWTOR.

That's not quite what I'm saying. I honestly can't explain it any better, though. But it doesn't bother me to run into another elf mage when I myself am an elf mage. Partly because of course there are other elf mages. That elf mage might even be good at the same things mine is good at. S/he might look like me. But s/he isn't me. S/he's not having the same experience I am. I don't dislike him or her any more than the other people in the movie theater I'm watching a movie at. We're all having a shared, similar experience. But none of them are going to take the same shit away from it I am. A lot of them probably aren't even there for the same reasons I am.

EDIT: I mean shit, thinking about the "we're all elf mages" thing. There are plenty of ways that can be a diverse experience. You put a lot of damn emphasis on fluff that ultimately, in a character sense, is superficial.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:00:41 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: November 29, 2011, 07:11:37 PM

It's not a real example, it's a discussion point. I was going to put in "of course, all of us being elf mages could actually be fun in a couple of ways once or twice", but I assumed people would understand the point and not the specific example I gave.

I'm not sure where all this negative energy you are associating with me comes from. I'm not saying your child is ugly and a hate him...

Anyway, I don't get it and you don't get what I'm asking, but there's no point dragging it out anymore. Enjoy the game, I hope it's fun times.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #361 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:39 PM

P.S. Sky, that screenshot... those are on the lowest graphics? or is that a joke screenshot from another game? (not really following this anywhere outside this forum, but still interested)
It's from the login screen. Normally you're never zoomed in that close, it does look worse than I remember it in the actual game (the blurry texture). It looks as bad as the first night I was complaining before I fixed it via restart, so I wonder if there's a low res thing for the select screen or something. The graphics certainly aren't Skyrim, but I like them. Here's what he looks like at a normal zoom level in the character creator (I took screens of my 8 intended launch dudes to remember the settings!):
Well given that most of us probably spend 90% of our time in MMOs solo, a much-improved solo experience (to me anyway) seems like a pretty big leap forward.
Not to mention that bizarrely I'm excited for grouping and led many groups through the two beta weekends. I mean...that's the express to crazy town, right there.

Following the vein of response spam: my Guardian is a fan of "Death is part of the natural order of the universe" or whatever that line is. I heard that one a few times, NOT SURE WHY *stab with lightsaber*
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: November 29, 2011, 07:25:29 PM

You can assume everyone has a mission, they're just not on YOUR mission. You have a story arc that is yours, and you just kind of forget that everyone else is on it as well.

That gets awful hard when they have the exact same best friend helping them.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: November 29, 2011, 07:27:10 PM

A RNG for companions appearance (or a way to tweak their sliders. or both) would be nice.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #364 on: November 29, 2011, 07:29:46 PM

They do have ways to change their appearance but yeah, more of those with easier access to them would be nice. Although I honestly didn't really care with regards to the first companion for consulars, all those lizard dudes look the same to me anyway.  why so serious?  And for the knights, a T7 is a T7 is a T7. :P

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: November 29, 2011, 07:33:32 PM

But the droids could totally have swappable heads/legs/whatevers DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:17 PM

They do have appearance kits that basically do that.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #367 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:22 PM

It's one of those things that will probably happen eventually (beyond what they already have now, of course), but it's not important enough for release, so it gets punted along. Every captain in LotRO had the same hobo following them around at first, after all.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:42 PM

This was the more glaring immersion break than a group of duplicates of me all standing around quest NPCs with ellipses over their heads.

I still don't see how this game equates to a subscription, or where there's all this massive content to consume. I also am willing to bet no one from this site who buys this at launch will be around 2 months into live.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #369 on: November 29, 2011, 07:36:12 PM

If you honestly mean "no one," I will take that bet.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: November 29, 2011, 07:37:08 PM

It's one of those things that will probably happen eventually (beyond what they already have now, of course), but it's not important enough for release, so it gets punted along. Every captain in LotRO had the same hobo following them around at first, after all.

And tailors craft the variant Captain followers out of cloth patterns!

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #371 on: November 29, 2011, 07:38:04 PM

I actually was kinda fond of my hobo, back in the day. I did eventually magically poof him into a mustached red-head, though. He was pretty adorable.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:07 PM

If you honestly mean "no one," I will take that bet.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And you'll win, per my previous post on this topic. I'm pretty sure I'll be subbed for a year just due to my glacial pace of content consumption.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #373 on: November 29, 2011, 07:41:50 PM

You and I can chat about boys or whatever when no one else is there any more.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: November 29, 2011, 07:44:42 PM

Hmm on rather unrelated note went to check the classes list on the swtor webside, and it seems that for some unexplained reasons since last i saw it they've replaced the female consular with a fat dude in a dress. Weird.

And yes, he tosses the oil tanks Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #375 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:22 PM

The fat dude in a dress has been around for a while, I thought? I didn't actually even realize there had been a chick consular person at all! I'm terrible at this.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: November 29, 2011, 07:49:35 PM

That's possible, it's been really loooong time when i last saw it. They still didn't have all starships announced yet, i think?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:24 PM

I don't think I ever actually saw an oil tank. A few droids, a LOT of valuable looking ancient pottery.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: November 29, 2011, 09:19:52 PM

You and I can chat about boys or whatever when no one else is there any more.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Absolutely. I do my best to make a few beefcake toons when I can, but I'm also partial to making psychotic looking toons as well. I loved my fully pierced and tatted BH.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: November 30, 2011, 12:09:47 AM

I still don't see how this game equates to a subscription, or where there's all this massive content to consume. I also am willing to bet no one from this site who buys this at launch will be around 2 months into live.

I'll be playing quite a lot and it will still take me at least 2 months just to play through all the storylines.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: November 30, 2011, 12:19:42 AM

This was the more glaring immersion break than a group of duplicates of me all standing around quest NPCs with ellipses over their heads.

2 months seems like a low estimate, but aside from Sjofn (who is a special case and will probably need additional subscriptions to fit in all the alts) pretty much everyone posting here has said they expect the fun to run out in months rather than years.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #381 on: November 30, 2011, 12:34:52 AM

Absolutely. I do my best to make a few beefcake toons when I can, but I'm also partial to making psychotic looking toons as well. I loved my fully pierced and tatted BH.

Ahaha, that dude means business. I bet he always gets paid on time.

I didn't take any screen shots of my people, I am terrible at this.

Also, eldaec, I ... probably won't need a second account. Probably.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: November 30, 2011, 01:02:35 AM

well you have 8 slots, and basically 8 classes, with 8 stories. I can't really think of a reason to have two accounts. Then again, we had a disc priest that had 3 disc priests on our server, 2 alliance, 1 horde and another one on a different server. She was a bit crazy.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #383 on: November 30, 2011, 01:08:14 AM

Sjofn has like 15 paladins.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #384 on: November 30, 2011, 01:08:27 AM

I did remember to make a screenshot of the settings, but looking at it now all my screenshots came out completely black. Yay, beta! swamp poop
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  
Jump to: