Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 03:48:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  (Read 201049 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #245 on: November 29, 2011, 06:09:20 AM

Can someone confirm whether any of the higher flashpoints are like the Esseles/Black Talon?
I did Hammer Station and it had pretty much a single RP moment; the whole flashpoint however is way shorter and far less trash filled than Eselles/Talon. Rather than RP it has a bunch of little stuff you can do in the instance with gathering skills to bypass areas or unlock more content; like using scavenging to fix a drill to knock out a wall or using bioanalysis to turn off poison gas. You get a non-dialog RP thing towards the end where you either sabatogue parts of the station to explode and kill a mess of the badguys and their grunt workers indecriminately to get by, or just mess up their security...that's about it for light/dark in that. A later flashpoint I saw played beginning to end had about as much RP as Black Talon/Esseles however.

I also did Athiss but I was only able to get one boss in due to bugs. There was another non-dialog RP thing right after the first boss that made no sense however from the republic side if you chose dark side. It literally might as well have been "kick a puppy" because you get no tangible benefit from being a dick, even RPwise.

I liked Hammer Station. I thought the use of crafting skills to bypass trash mobs was pretty interesting. Even more so when you bypass stuff the first time, but have no one with skills to repeat that so you end up going through the trash. Also liked the ramp up in difficulty from BT. Sadly, it was way short.

This was also the first instance where I fould out that rockets and my death from above BH skill have AoE much larger that I originially thought. Nothing like breaking CC from the sorc and having them bitch at you.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: November 29, 2011, 06:12:17 AM

...the use of crafting skills to bypass trash mobs...

Sadly, it was way short.

Working as intended?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: November 29, 2011, 06:17:40 AM

I thought Hammer Station was really disappointing, standard dungeon fair with obtuse mechanics (unless youre a MMORPG veteran). Calling it a flashpoint seems like a bit of a stretch if Esseles/Talon are supposed to be the standard. I think I was also annoyed by the difficulty in getting a group together, and the travelling from zone to zone is really a pain.
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: November 29, 2011, 06:24:53 AM

...the use of crafting skills to bypass trash mobs...

Sadly, it was way short.

Working as intended?

I should clarify. Even tearing through the entire crawl and killing all of the trash, it was still short. And the bug with no loot on the end boss was filled with sorrow and gnashing of teeth.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #249 on: November 29, 2011, 06:35:50 AM

umm, there's no armor on that chest?

other than that it's a cool system, does it have to be an epic chest/pants to have all the important sockets or do rare ones work too?
Pretty much the main distinguishing factor of blue gear that makes it better than green gear is that it has modification slots. Yeah, the base stats are always better, but the real difference is the mod slots.

I had my companion wearing my old blue-quality armor from the end of the starting area because with mods it was still way better than the much higher level greens I was making/finding. Well, ignoring armor.

I have no idea if it's because of the beta or if it's going to be like that in release, but all gear that had mod slots came with mods already in it. You could change them out for better ones but all the armor/weapons I had came with plenty good enough modifications.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: November 29, 2011, 06:52:03 AM

are mods straight gems from wow, ie - if you stick them in an item you can only replace & destroy them?

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:26 AM

are mods straight gems from wow, ie - if you stick them in an item you can only replace & destroy them?

Replacing will destroy, but SWTOR gives a finger to WoW by allowing you to remove and keep implanted mods for a small credit charge if you want to save a mod for something else.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:51 AM

I thought Hammer Station was really disappointing, standard dungeon fair with obtuse mechanics (unless youre a MMORPG veteran). Calling it a flashpoint seems like a bit of a stretch if Esseles/Talon are supposed to be the standard.

My small group found Hammer Station pretty disappointing too. The crafting skill use to bypass trash mobs was a nice addition, but it lacked the story and involvement we found we had with Black Talon.  HS had more varied and difficult fights, especially with the boss mobs and it required CC - where BT didn't whatsoever. Not getting any sort of loot from the final guy was awesome, too.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: November 29, 2011, 07:17:41 AM

Replacing will destroy, but SWTOR gives a finger to WoW by allowing you to remove and keep implanted mods for a small credit charge if you want to save a mod for something else.

Do you just do it anywhere or does it have to be at a special place? Reseting my talents took 10 minutes of banging my head against the wall and finally asking in trade. Why copy a game completely and just change that little bit that makes no sense? Different vendor, really?

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #254 on: November 29, 2011, 07:19:29 AM

Huh. How do you do that? (edit: The removing part)

If you can truly keep re-modding old armour through any level I'll be overjoyed as this will really help in the looks department. Did anyone check out the raid gear NPCs? The armour looks... Appalling. WoW-epic-shoulders syndrome.

Also, did anyone find the Imp NPC you're supposed to give companion gift parts to in order to have them assembled?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: November 29, 2011, 07:19:54 AM

Just drag it out. Pay the fee.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: November 29, 2011, 07:20:10 AM

I can understand the different vendor thing for skill resets.  If they intend to have high costs of changing talents/ACs, it gives them the cop-out of "you deliberately walked over to the other NPC who's sole purpose is to mind wipe you.  We're not refunding shit."

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: November 29, 2011, 07:22:06 AM

The mods are what give the item armor.   Not sure why Torhead isn't listing that stat.   You can change mods and pull them out anywhere.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #258 on: November 29, 2011, 07:34:23 AM

http://torwars.com/2011/11/28/video-swtor-ui-tips-healing-frames-focus-target/

Not the mouse-over thing people seem to want, but a couple good tips for healers with the existing UI.
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: November 29, 2011, 07:49:03 AM

Not the mouse-over thing people seem to want, but a couple good tips for healers with the existing UI.

That focus target thing is nice. I tried fucking with that on my merc this weekend, but really didn't grasp how it works. Now I get it. Good link.

sidenote: This guy sounds a lot like the same guy that did the tutorial on HealBot.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: November 29, 2011, 08:09:59 AM

Okay that is a slick focus implementation I am likely going to wind up a healing trooper would be nice to have good ability to still shoot some fools while being able to easily heal the main tank.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #261 on: November 29, 2011, 08:18:14 AM

Does anybody have a good link to the crew skills and what they all do, as well as which ones are interconnected? Pro/con, etc? I'm struggling with that, given there is so little information in the actual game. Also, are they respeccable?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: November 29, 2011, 08:21:36 AM

Does anybody have a good link to the crew skills and what they all do, as well as which ones are interconnected? Pro/con, etc? I'm struggling with that, given there is so little information in the actual game. Also, are they respeccable?

I had a picture with lines and everything but it led me wrong in game.   I'd say just open up the lore entry because it tells you which ones go together at the bottom.   They are easy to respec as you just click on the X to delete them.  It's maybe a bit tooo easy actually.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: November 29, 2011, 08:45:15 AM

I had a picture with lines and everything but it led me wrong in game.  

Ditto, I found a nice looking picture that linked the crafting skills on the left to the crew skills on the right.  Find out after a while that one of my crew skills is completely useless for my crafting skill and I need a different skill to get the other half of my crafting materials I was usually missing.

They are respeccable very easily though.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: November 29, 2011, 09:01:05 AM

Does anybody have a good link to the crew skills and what they all do, as well as which ones are interconnected?

So glad I spent my time putting together a useful link thread and got the honor of having it stickied  Ohhhhh, I see.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #265 on: November 29, 2011, 09:21:26 AM

Does anybody have a good link to the crew skills and what they all do, as well as which ones are interconnected?

So glad I spent my time putting together a useful link thread and got the honor of having it stickied  Ohhhhh, I see.

Oh yeah, there it is. Tbh, stickies get ignored all the time. Schild just likes them for some reason.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: November 29, 2011, 09:21:55 AM

The crew skills image is out of date. My synthweaving used archeology (for regular crystals) and underworld trading (for metals to make blue items) this past weekend.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: November 29, 2011, 09:27:19 AM

Just use the codex. Find the profession that makes the type of items you want to make (weapons, armor, whatever), then at the bottom it tells you which two other professions to take with it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #268 on: November 29, 2011, 09:33:28 AM

Google Doc Spread Sheet in Crew Skills. I didnt make this. I found it on Reddit.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: November 29, 2011, 10:41:46 AM

That focus target thing is nice. I tried fucking with that on my merc this weekend, but really didn't grasp how it works. Now I get it. Good link.

sidenote: This guy sounds a lot like the same guy that did the tutorial on HealBot.

Wait wait wait. That operations frame thing. It's slick. It's also MOVABLE. Why the fuck isn't the chat window mobile if the UI supports the concept of unlocking and moving shit around? :(
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:08 AM

That is highly entertaining coming from you, Mr. "Why are we killing these raid bosses? I didn't read any of my quests."

Mostly theme wise! Some of them made sense, the only one I think I actually asked about was Mr Blue Dragon who was apparently explained in a book or something. But at the time it was very much "look, just go through this portal and kill the thing on the other side. DON'T ASK WHY HE'S RIGHT BELOW US ALL AND WE AREN'T DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT OKAY?"

Actually, I can't remember the reason for going to Uld either. We were fighting a big bad lich king across the land, and for some reason decided to go pick a fight with an ancient god or something to save the world?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #271 on: November 29, 2011, 10:51:17 AM

Uldaman was about Old Gods. There's always room for Old Gods. They are the Jello of WoW.

The worst one was ToC. We're on our way to kill the Lich King so we decide to set up a Ren-Faire?

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:38 AM

I had a picture with lines and everything but it led me wrong in game.   I'd say just open up the lore entry because it tells you which ones go together at the bottom.   They are easy to respec as you just click on the X to delete them.  It's maybe a bit tooo easy actually.

I think - but can't obviously check - that you can't delete them prior to getting a companion. I tested going to Carrick Station at level 2 or something and learning some skills and found that interacting with each trainer earns a codex entry and 450xp - which is easily enough to go from level 2 to 4 in a minute or so. But if you learn a crafting skill, you won't be able to interact with any of the other crafting trainers, only gathering/mission trainers so talk to all of them first for the XP boost.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:58:00 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: November 29, 2011, 10:54:40 AM

Wait wait wait. That operations frame thing. It's slick. It's also MOVABLE. Why the fuck isn't the chat window mobile if the UI supports the concept of unlocking and moving shit around? :(

The chat window is mobile (and possibly resizable) but because none of the rest of the interface is, there's not many places to put it. I moved mine to the bottom left and then found it obscured my holocommunicator thing.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: November 29, 2011, 10:57:44 AM

The chat window is mobile (and possibly resizable) but because none of the rest of the interface is, there's not many places to put it. I moved mine to the bottom left and then found it obscured my holocommunicator thing.

I feel like I'm missing some small patch somewhere that just flags the whole damned thing mobile. I wound up just closing the chat window all the time, since it didn't have any form of combat log for me to look at in this build.

But that also makes me go "so I can move the raid frames.. but the only place to put them is the middle of the UI?

I do like the focus modifier key though. That's nice.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: November 29, 2011, 11:20:38 AM

But if you learn a crafting skill, you won't be able to interact with any of the other crafting trainers, only gathering/mission trainers so talk to all of them first for the XP boost.
Just cancel out the popup. You'll get the xp and lore update but won't learn the skill. Glad I did because that's how I learned underworld trading now supports synthweaving, which allowed me to get components for my blue gear. Seemed to be pretty tough to get those, too. T7 failed about 80% and only brought back 2 and then 3 of the metal (4 for the item), 6 minutes missions for the teen tier.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: November 29, 2011, 11:23:07 AM

If you accidentally learn the wrong skill you can open the companions window and remove it.   
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: November 29, 2011, 11:25:28 AM

So no beta. Installing KotOR and ordered the blu-rays earlier today. I hate you SWTOR.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #278 on: November 29, 2011, 11:28:34 AM

Didn't you get one of the 8 million codes out there?

-Rasix
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: November 29, 2011, 12:00:25 PM

I did, but wasn't that for the weekend only? No servers now anyway.

Kotor is unplayable :( Found a widescreen patch but the game crashed 3 times in 20 minutes :(

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  
Jump to: